PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Into Darkness

Terpe
15th May 2013, 11:14
Star Trek: Into Darkness

A review:-

I'll tell you the truth: Star Trek Into Darkness is all about lies. But more on that later.

Meanwhile, here's another truth: Few who journey into darkness return unscathed. So it is with JJ Abrams' latest Star Trek movie. But it's certainly a helluva lot of fun getting there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhz4A5BCMAA&feature=player_embedded

Something for everyone

Newbies to Trek will enjoy Into Darkness for its fast-paced action and cloak-and-dagger undertones.

But if you happen to be a Trekkie, you're in for a bigger treat with all the little easter eggs scattered throughout the film: be prepared to do a double-take on some characters and occasionally muttering to yourself, "Did he just do that?!"

There are also a few smart hat tips thrown in for the discerning movie buff: the opening sequence alone has Kirk (Chris Pine) and Bones (Karl Urban) in a very Indiana Jones-y mad dash to safety across a brightly-colored alien landscape, complete with stolen artifact and angry natives giving chase.

And I'm sure more than a few Sherlock fans will be seeing this movie just to watch Benedict Cumberbatch on the big screen. The steely gaze and stiff upper lip that made him famous as the titular character in the BBC's hugely successful TV show certainly serve him well here.

Dark universe rising

But it is a dark universe indeed that Abrams brings to the screen.

Into Darkness shows us a United Federation of Planets still locked in a cold war against the Klingon Empire —yes, you'll see them for the first time here, guns ablaze!— and more than a few people realize that the Federation is worth defending at any cost.

Enter the movie's most controversial character, Captain John Harrison (Cumberbatch).

Longtime fans who are both well-versed with established Trek lore and familiar with Abrams' alternate take thereon have been at a loss guessing how he fits into everything.

Harrison is made out to be one of Starfleet's finest gone bad... Very, very bad. He uses his deep knowledge of Federation bureaucracy and their inherent lawful good to his advantage, leaving a path of chaos and destruction in his wake.

But there's a reason to his madness: as it turns out, he's been lied to and he'll stop at nothing to take back what's his. And he's not above throwing down a few lies of his own to do it.

It's a trap!

Harrison wastes no time engaging the entire Federation in a battle for survival where the fight isn't between right and wrong but between evil and lesser evil.

This quickly leaves the entire Enterprise crew trapped between a rock and a really hard place.

But as Kirk demonstrated in the Kobayashi Maru scenario, there's always more than one way to handle a dilemma. Except that there are always consequences.

Kirk learns this the hard way early on, when he's reprimanded for violating the Federation's Prime Directive once too many times. He doesn't believe that he's above the rules, but he also firmly believes that there are times when rules need to be broken for the greater good.

This, of course, doesn't sit well with his superior officers, and it gets him into trouble—but he's used to that, anyway.

Besides, he's not alone anymore: He has his crew to back him up. That's another area in which this movie particularly shines—just how much the Enterprise crew have come to trust and depend on each other, echoing the complex characterization and interpersonal dynamics that fans have always loved from the original series.

Lies and more lies

But make no mistake: this is a place where, sometimes, lies and obfuscation are justified for the sake of the common good.

Star Trek Into Darkness boldly goes where the previous movie feared to tread: that gray area between duty and responsibility, right and wrong, truth and lie.

Speaking of which, remember that part about this being a spoiler-free review? That too is a lie:

Be prepared to see a major character die

Source:-
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/308381/lifestyle/reviews/a-spoiler-free-review-of-star-trek-into-darkness-it-s-all-lies

les_taxi
15th May 2013, 12:34
Hope it's good a review I saw said it was very poor:NoNo:

Terpe
15th May 2013, 12:36
Hope it's good a review I saw said it was very poor:NoNo:

Some folks thought Skyfall was poor

Steve.r
15th May 2013, 13:26
I never realised until I watch the Jonathon Ross Show, that the guy who plays Spock in the new movies is gay. Not a problem for me, I just didn't know it.

Terpe
15th May 2013, 13:34
I never realised until I watch the Jonathon Ross Show, that the guy who plays Spock in the new movies is gay. Not a problem for me, I just didn't know it.

Me neither too :icon_rolleyes:

Steve, I'd have thought you've already seen this Star Trek :biggrin:

Terpe
15th May 2013, 13:53
Star Trek Into Darkness stuns UK box office chart

Star Trek Into Darkness has opened at the top of the UK box office chart, knocking last week's top film Iron Man 3 down to second place.

JJ Abrams' 3D sci-fi sequel took £8.4 million between Thursday and Sunday, beating the £6m its predecessor earned in its debut weekend in 2009.

The latest instalment in Marvel's Iron Man series added £3.2m to its earnings in its third weekend in cinemas.

Its overall UK takings now stand at just over £31m.

Wreck-It Ralph continued to perform well, also for Disney, adding a further £49,000 to its UK total.

The 3D animation has now taken £23.5m after 13 weeks in cinemas in the UK and Ireland.

US comedy 21 and Over claimed third place in the chart with second weekend takings of £581,000, while dance movie All Stars added £498,000 to its first week's tally.

The Croods moved back into the top five, taking a further £384,000. The animated comedy has now grossed more than £25m in the UK and Ireland.

Action thriller Olympus Has Fallen follows it at six, while at seven new release Mud took an impressive £237,000 from just 71 locations.

Matthew McConaughey stars in the US drama about a drifter who befriends two young boys who discover him hiding out on an island in the Mississippi.

UK & IRELAND BOX OFFICE TOP FIVE

1.Star Trek Into Darkness - £8.43m
2.Iron Man 3 - £3.18m
3.21 and Over - £0.58m
4.All Stars - £0.49m
5.The Croods - £0.38m

Source: Rentrak

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22538260

Steve.r
15th May 2013, 15:56
Steve, I'd have thought you've already seen this Star Trek :biggrin:

Sometimes it is nice to wait for a good HD quality copy to come out to download. I think right now they are just cam rips, not bluray yet :bigcry:

les_taxi
15th May 2013, 16:56
Some folks thought Skyfall was poor

Me included-it wasn't a bond film at all,I want gadgets,beautiful women all the things we expect
It was a decent film but nothing like a Bond movie:NoNo:

les_taxi
15th May 2013, 16:57
Sometimes it is nice to wait for a good HD quality copy to come out to download. I think right now they are just cam rips, not bluray yet :bigcry:

I'm the same at least a 720p version:xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
16th May 2013, 09:53
I think i'll book tickets to see it tomorrow afternoon, although the missus is performing in the local amateur dramatics society production in the evening.

Arthur Little
16th May 2013, 13:18
I think i'll book tickets to see it tomorrow afternoon, although the missus is performing in the local amateur dramatics society production in the evening.

Interesting, Ricky ... I used to be involved in amateur dramatics and light opera - throughout the 1980s and '90s, respectively - during which periods I was cast in many roles with the former. :smile:

Loved it! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
16th May 2013, 13:50
This impressive Arthur, I'm always impressed by the quality of the productions by the amateur dramatic society. Marvie actually got involved accidently, she thought was going to some production classes/dance lessons, until was realised she was performing on stage. This is her second performance now and it seems to be going really well.

sars_notd_virus
16th May 2013, 18:59
mmm.... cinema date for my husband and my bro-in-law:xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
17th May 2013, 04:30
We've booked for this afternoon :-)

Terpe
17th May 2013, 11:59
Nearly all those I know who've seen it have said "great" .:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Even the wives :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
17th May 2013, 13:14
Nearly all those I know who've seen it have said "great" .:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Even the wives :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I hope so,I love Star trek

Terpe
17th May 2013, 14:49
I hope so,I love Star trek

I was told it may not appeal to all diehard 'traditional trekkies'.

les_taxi
17th May 2013, 16:03
I was told it may not appeal to all diehard 'traditional trekkies'.

hmm I'm one of them so we shall see!

RickyR
17th May 2013, 16:10
Well, I went with my wife and a true star trak die hard fan (to put into perspective he has the full box sets on DVD and digitally remastered blue ray) and we threatened to go in Star Trek uniform (which scarily we actually own).
All I can say is superb, really really enjoyed it. Watching it at the cinema was also worthwhile.

Terpe
17th May 2013, 17:13
Well, I went with my wife and a true star trak die hard fan (to put into perspective he has the full box sets on DVD and digitally remastered blue ray) and we threatened to go in Star Trek uniform (which scarily we actually own).
All I can say is superb, really really enjoyed it. Watching it at the cinema was also worthwhile.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I'm getting excited now. Trouble is my wife is working long days this weekend :bigcry:

Please don't anyone give out any storyline details

RickyR
17th May 2013, 19:34
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I'm getting excited now. Trouble is my wife is working long days this weekend :bigcry:

Please don't anyone give out any storyline details

Don't worry I won't. The friend I went with had read most of the plot online many months ago and I had to force him to keep his silence. Some movies are better when you don't know whats coming.