PDA

View Full Version : A question for Doc Alan if possile on my hearing loss

mickcant
19th April 2013, 05:29
Hi Doc Alan,
With hearing loss, I have had NHS aids since early in 2011.

In response to a free test advert I have been told by a private firm that want me to buy their new aids after another test that the NHS aids are 7 years behind what is available in the private sector, but their aids work out at £1,800.00.

Is this really the case?
I was expecting a hard sell to follow their test and that is what happened.

I had hoped they would give me a report I could then take to the NHS department but they would give me nothing in writing.

Mick.:olddude:

Steve.r
19th April 2013, 06:00
Hi Mick, sorry I am not Alan :smile: Was this company Hidden Hearing? If so, then what you have been told is correct. The hearing aids are very expensive, but they are very good and they have a very good support system where you are initially fitted and then invited back for analysis for further adjustment. You can also request appointments either in your home or at their offices if you are still not 100% happy. I have first hand experience of this since my father has these. He has bad tinnitus so decided to have these. They will take some getting used to, like my father took time to adjust, but my mother and I both saw an incredible improvement. My father was even moaning about the birds singing too loudly, I think he had forgotten what they sounded like. Anyway, that is my info on them, Hidden Hearing, check them out. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
19th April 2013, 06:35
Hi Steve,
Yes it is Hidden Hearing, thank you for your reply and positive outcome.

Other hearing loss sufferers I have spoken to seem to be disappointed in theirs after spending what can be a lot of money, perhaps they are not getting the right follow up care with the firms they buy from?

I must admit for cost purposes If possible I would prefer NHS ones, £1,800.00 is a lot of money to find.
Mick.:cwm25:

Steve.r
19th April 2013, 06:46
Oh yes, a lot of money Mick. But I can honestly say that seeing the improvement first hand, it was money well spent.

KeithD
19th April 2013, 08:49
Read these Mick: http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?t=7318

It seems Specsavers are fine as long as you see the audiologist, and get a home visit to get your monies worth :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
19th April 2013, 08:54
Mick, there’s helpful information here ( http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Hearing-impairment/Pages/Introduction.aspx
) which I’m sure you have read.

It does seem that many people with hearing loss don’t do anything about it – they don’t like the thought of a hearing aid, and yet our NHS provides advice, testing and treatment good enough for most !

As you know, I’m not a GP, and don’t have personal experience of the private firm you mention ( http://www.hiddenhearing.co.uk/
). However, Steve does, and I would trust his recommendation. The most obvious problem is the cost ! Secondly, only you can decide if you need to try improving your hearing beyond its present level.

I do know other members with hearing loss and although your question was directed to me, of course I’m happy ( as with other health topics ) to have their input :smile: !

KeithD
19th April 2013, 09:01
People who are deaf seldom admit to being deaf. I've lost count of how many times I see this happen, and if they do have a hearing aid they don't use them! :doh

mickcant
19th April 2013, 12:54
Thank you Boss and Doc Alan,
For the links, I had not seen either of them, when I first noticed I had a problem in 2010, went to two High St suppliers and after seeing the cost I went to my GP surgery and they did a test and referred me to the audiology department at our hospital, who set me up with the pair I have my hearing was then much better.

But over time I felt there were still problems and when Silent Hearing phoned saying it was time for a re test, I thought why not.
I have now made an appointment with the Hospital audiology department for the 24th of this month and will see what they say before trying to find the cost of new private ones.

I will post what they say in case it is of interest to anyone who may also be affected.
Mick.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
19th April 2013, 13:48
CAN YOU HEAR US OK? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

mickcant
19th April 2013, 14:21
CAN YOU HEAR US OK? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I have not mastered lip reading yet:Rasp::icon_lol:
Mick.