PDA

View Full Version : Surfing in the Philippines.

grahamw48
16th April 2013, 16:35
This was also a topic on Radio 4 the other day. :smile:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21941069

Ako Si Jamie
16th April 2013, 19:05
Baler is the next big tourist destination in the Phils apparently. Not sure if it was the birthplace of surfing though. I thought Siargao/Cloud 9 was.

grahamw48
16th April 2013, 20:01
I thought Cloud 9 was a Phils choccy bar...my favourite too. :Erm: http://imageshack.us/a/img79/7780/cloud90fz.gif

Jamesey
16th April 2013, 20:29
Very interesting link. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I've heard about Baler previously, but I always thought it was a bit too difficult to reach.

Looks like it's another place I need to put on my list of places to visit! :biggrin:

Terpe
16th April 2013, 20:31
Certainly looks like it's now firmly on the map.
I've surfed at Siargao, but that was a long time ago :olddude:

Doubt I could do it well enough to enjoy these days. :icon_rolleyes:

grahamw48
16th April 2013, 20:34
I used to water ski when I was a younger man...even bought my own boat, but surfing, I just know I'd make a complete tit of myself . :icon_lol:

Oh, and then there's the sharks ! :omg:

Terpe
16th April 2013, 20:37
...........Looks like it's another place I need to put on my list of places to visit! :biggrin:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

I have a long long list that's always growing :icon_lol:

I think I have more places that enough time :olddude:

Just as an aside, there's loads of really great place North of Manila too. Well worth looking into.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jamesey
16th April 2013, 21:20
:icon_lol::icon_lol:

I have a long long list that's always growing :icon_lol:

I think I have more places that enough time :olddude:

Just as an aside, there's loads of really great place North of Manila too. Well worth looking into.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

My list is growing too!

You are correct about North Luzon. Although I've seen quite a few areas, there are still so many more! The trip along the north coast from Aparri to Laoag via Pagudpud was amazing, but I need to complete the loop down to Subic via Vigan and La Union. There's also Bataan and the whole mountain region (apart from Baguio) that I still need to see.

But for a real adventure, the East coast of Isabela would be amazing, but it's one of the most remote and difficult areas to reach in the Philippines.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
17th April 2013, 00:39
But for a real adventure, the East coast of Isabela would be amazing, but it's one of the most remote and difficult areas to reach in the Philippines.:xxgrinning--00xx3:Yup Palanan :xxgrinning--00xx3: Inaccessible by road. Need to get a plane or a boat from Aurora to get there.

fred
17th April 2013, 01:30
They used to surf in Catanduanes..
Not being a surfer I have no idea if its any good.

Ako Si Jamie
18th April 2013, 21:00
They used to surf in Catanduanes..
Not being a surfer I have no idea if its any good.Puraran, it's meant to be a beautiful beach too.

Also Daet in Cam Norte.

grahamw48
18th April 2013, 21:05
I've been to Daet ! :Jump:

Doc Alan
18th April 2013, 23:37
Another member, who hasn’t been on the forum for a while but recently got married, Jimbojac, is a keen surfer and has a guest house not far from Cloud 9, in Lanuza, Surigao del Sur.

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/32398-***-New-business-revealed.-***?highlight=

Apart from eastern Mindanao, there is good surfing in Bicol ( Catanduanes ) and La Union ( San Fernandes ). The best surfing link is http://magicseaweed.com/Philippines-Surf-Forecast/66/

The “ magic seaweed “ site also shows conditions in the many good surf spots elsewhere in the world, including UK. Fistral Beach , in Cornwall, is one of the best.

Great surfing is also available at Scarborough's South Bay ( 5 minutes' walk from my apartment ), North Bay and nearby Cayton Bay . I taught my son to surf – he’s now much better than me ! I hope to try surfing in the Philippines … before it’s too late :smile:!

okdom_7667
19th April 2013, 10:49
Baler is now very accessible, 6hrs. from Manila. I spent my 5day holy week vacation there and I have a relative from that province.