PDA

View Full Version : Immigrant-friendly local councils?

J&G
13th April 2013, 11:13
Hi all,

As you might have read in my previous posts - I'm a Hungarian citizen working in the UK, hoping to marry my fiancee and bring her over here via EEA family permit next year.

I've only been in the UK for a few months, so I'm wondering whether most local communities / local councils offer some sort of immigration support/integration programme, or whether only a few do, or whether none do? - I'm thinking mainly in terms of English language classes, 'life in the UK'-type seminars, counselling support for distressed immigrants, career support, etc. - I'd be willing to pay a fee for this stuff, if they usually charge fees. I'm also not thinking about the cash benefits (e.g. job-seeker's allowance), as we wouldn't be eligible for most of those.

Maybe I'm being idealistic to think that such programmes exist anywhere anymore! But just wanted to see if there were certain areas / councils in the country that offered structured/formal things like this? Especially in the London area or the Network Railcard area!

Basically, I'm trying to figure out where we should live when I bring her here next year. It needs to be somewhere within the Network Railcard area, but other than that, can be anywhere. Of course, finding a place with an existing Filipino community is important, but anywhere with these types of general immigrant support programmes would also be good!

Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated! :smile:

Cheers,

J & G