PDA

View Full Version : United Kingdom Political Leaders' Qualifications

Arthur Little
11th April 2013, 18:07
As I said early on in the thread arising from the demise of Lady Thatcher, "Love her or loathe her ... :anerikke: ... the 'Iron Lady' will long be remembered for being one of the most COMPETENT - IF, wholly controversial - political figures in modern history".

Such an accolade is praiseworthy in itself :icon_rolleyes: ... but ... the very fact that her achievements took place during a century in which suffragettes first paved the way for women to exercise their RIGHT TO VOTE - let alone enter Parliament and later form a Government - is surely all the more remarkable.

As Marco pointed out in one of his posts ... "even in death - she continues to exert her influence".

However, threads of this particular nature tend to have a habit of dragging-on ad infinitum and, like religious topics, invariably stray from the original subject matter.

So ... I thought it might be an :idea: to take a step back from a thread in which members' opinions spread themselves over an array of topics - culminating, somewhat diversely, in responses to the pros and cons surrounding the 'Sinking of the Belgrano' being intermingled with those dealing with the ultimately, far-reaching consequences of "Thatcherism on the domestic front" - hence my creation of a separate one examining leading politicians' academic attainments.

OK ... here goes:

Well, of course, Maggie, herself, was a graduate of the University of Oxford. As, too, were Messrs Blair and Cameron (the latter having previously been a "product" of prestigious Eton College). Likewise, Nick Clegg enjoyed the privilege of attending the elite Oxonian's closest rival, Cambridge.

Ed Milliband also followed his Labour predecessor in this respect. Yet, BOTH had the temerity to join - and eventually lead - the party that, in the eyes of many, throughout the decades since its formation by Keir Hardie in the early years of the 20th century, has consistently [B] claimed to represent the interests of :Britain:'s working classes.

:poke: ... it rather evens the score when you really THINK about it! Wouldn't you ALL agree ... regardless of ANY individual party allegiance? :biggrin:

Terpe
11th April 2013, 21:04
The old Boy (and Girl) Network

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/11/21/article-2235719-1622E363000005DC-341_634x300.jpg

Terpe
11th April 2013, 21:08
Arthur, you make an interesting point.

I seem to recall a number of high-profile politicians who have actually lied about their academic achievements or schools :Erm:

As far as I know Arthur the Philippines has a similar situation. Even more so with their Political Dynasties.

Probably this is a global issue

Arthur Little
12th April 2013, 00:54
Arthur, you make an interesting point.

Thank you, Peter ... it's kind of you to say so. :smile:

Alas, 6 hours later ... I'm still waiting to see what the rest of our regular British contributors here make of it. However, it seems to me that, for the moment at any rate, the majority have become so completely immersed in airing their views in the original article (now on its 7th page) I fear this one of mine is more than likely destined to fade into cyber oblivion - devoid of further comment.

So be it. :wink:

Arthur Little
12th April 2013, 01:52
I seem to recall a number of high-profile politicians who have actually lied about their academic achievements or schools :Erm:

:laugher: ... now THAT, doesn't surprise me in the least :nono-1-1: ... after all, given the sheer numbers caught cheating the taxpayer by fiddling their expenses - not to mention a certain high ranking Liberal recently convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice in relation to motoring offences - many of them appear to be equally capable of lying about anything and everything.

Arthur Little
12th April 2013, 02:36
As far as I know Arthur the Philippines has a similar situation. Even more so with their Political Dynasties.

Yes :icon_rolleyes: ... so I'm led to believe!

Probably this is a global issue

Indeed ... it seems to be par for the course - WORLDWIDE - these days. :bigcry:

So ... while watching the latest edition of 'This Week' - the topical Current Affairs programme immediately following tonight's Question Time from Margaret Thatcher's old stomping ground of Finchley - I was most gratified to hear Michael Portillo defer to his late political leader as being "a person without a corrupt bone in her body"!

Such a fitting, marvellously~refreshing tribute! Moreover, one that the cynics who persist in besmirching her character really ought to seriously consider, and her rivals seek to emulate.

So, Ma'am ... now that I've LET rip on your behalf ... it's time for me to say, "FAREWELL :Wave: ... and may you

R.I.P" ... :NEW5:

bigmarco
12th April 2013, 09:26
Good post Arthur but who was the cleverest :biggrin:
Can I just add that on your point about Milliband and his predecessor joining the Labour Party. I'm sure you will agree that that The Labour Party formed by Keir Hardy was a lot different to what we have now. Keir Hardy would probably turn in his grave to see what the likes of Blair, Brown and Milliband have done to the party.
As regards politicians lying about their qualifications I seem to remember the Press going after Ian Duncan Smith when he was Tory Leader over some dodgy qualification .

andy222
12th April 2013, 09:32
As for not having a corrupt bone in her body we dont know for sure about that Arthur something might crop up after the funeral. I do know one thing her husband was corrupt. He and along with one of his companies ripped my mate off big time forcing him to lose his business and his house.. As for her son there was questions asked about a arms deal he was instigating amongst other things if you care to do some research. Who is to say she wasnt involved?

Doc Alan
12th April 2013, 10:00
You do make an interesting point Arthur, and thank you for your thoughtful thread :smile:.

There are many contributors to the forum who are far more able than me to contribute on political topics. However, a good education - no matter how or where obtained - is something which most people in the world aspire to, if not for themselves, then for their offspring. Education reinforces intelligence, which should help ( with common sense ) in any walk of life.

I’m sure you and other members are correct that politicians the world over may falsify their background " achievements ", including education. No matter what people think of the late ex-President Ferdinand Marcos, he was a good orator and intelligent man. He billed himself as a war hero but it seems his medals for valour were fake ; although he did complete law studies at the University of the Philippines, attending the College of Law and graduating as a lawyer cum laude ( with praise ).

andy222
12th April 2013, 19:59
You speak wisely Doc. And your right a good education is important along with experience. It goes hand in hand, But you have some paper readers on this forum who have never come in contact or know nothing about the people they tend to slag off. I could name a couple I have had the pleasure to sit down and talk to. Any way one thing nobody can deny is that thatcher robbed of us of our industry and that is the main point. I have said it before if you dont make it you cant sell it. When you take away the skills of the youth what chance have you got? I have worked in 2 different professions. I can relate to you being in the healthcare side of things doc. I can also relate to engineering which I did for a big part of my career. I saw it all unfold and the devastation it caused.

grahamw48
12th April 2013, 22:29
Can't be me.
I don't buy or read newspapers.

Such a shame they are longer used for their best purpose....wrapping fish and chips. :biggrin: