PDA

View Full Version : feed a cold starve a fever

stevewool
9th April 2013, 11:10
is it right or the opposite way round or is it just a old wives tale.
I have not been feeling well and the other day i could not eat enough, starving i was,
then a day od so later i could not eat a thing, and i do feel a lot better today,

Doc Alan
9th April 2013, 17:13
It’s not completely an “ old wives’ tale “.The saying probably came about because people who have a fever tend to lose their appetite; those with a cold, and no fever, do not.

There’s some evidence that loss of appetite may alter the immune system ( “ humoral “ immune response, in which B cells produce antibodies, shown by raised interleukin-4 ) in such a way as to fight bacterial infections (associated with fevers). Fever is part of a natural defence mechanism, helping protect in infection and speeding recovery.

Likewise, eating food may help a local immune response ( “ cell-mediated “ by T cells, shown by raised gamma interferon ) suited to fighting viral infections such as colds.

If you aren’t hungry, don’t worry about eating in the short term. Drink plenty of fluids ( not alcohol ) as the amount you need increases due to sweating or mucus production. Consider taking a multivitamin/mineral supplement for this time. Conversely, don’t deliberately starve if you’re feeling hungry.

The “ common cold “ is typically self-limiting, lasting a few days, caused by many different types of virus, and neither causes a fever nor requires antibiotics unless ( unusually ) complicated by infections such as pneumonia.

“ Flu “ ( influenza ) is quite different ! There may well be a fever, together with severe symptoms requiring bed rest. Vaccination helps prevent flu – each year WHO ( World Health Organization ) tries to predict the likely flu virus strains and modifies the recommended vaccine for “ at risk “ individuals. The SAME vaccine is recommended whether you live in UK, Philippines, China or anywhere else in the world.

There are MANY possible causes of fever. Infections are the most likely. Less common causes include drug reactions and other illnesses. Most important after a return from the tropics is to consider possible “ tropical “ diseases such as dengue, malaria, TB and typhoid. Any doctor in the UK WILL be aware of these conditions and their treatment, as long as they know where you have been travelling !

stevewool
9th April 2013, 19:20
as always Alan very informative, i must admit i am feeling a lot better but that is down to the care of my beautiful Emma

Doc Alan
9th April 2013, 19:32
as always Alan very informative, i must admit i am feeling a lot better but that is down to the care of my beautiful Emma

Good news Steve and of course it's thanks to Emma :xxgrinning--00xx3:

( Believe me, immunology is a very complicated subject, textbooks are written on it, so to summarise it in two or three sentences is a simplification :biggrin: )