PDA

View Full Version : gas and electric bills

stevewool
6th April 2013, 11:18
whos got there bills and are they what you thought they would be, just sent mine off and await the news,

andy222
6th April 2013, 11:23
Sit down before you open the bills.:icon_lol:

stevewool
6th April 2013, 11:30
well if we have used that much hay ho, just have to go and buy a onesie for us all to wear:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

andy222
6th April 2013, 11:50
You might be wishing you had aquired one before steve.:icon_lol:

nandnjudge
6th April 2013, 15:23
The problem is these utility bills will not get cheaper, the goverment are now adding on additional charges to pay for future investment in green power for the future, we will all be frozen to death to enjoy any green power if it ever comes. Why cant we have the Philippines weather (not so hot) and the English way of life . Perhaps climate change that everyone talks about may make that happen. Wishful thinking

cheekee
6th April 2013, 15:44
This global warming is interesting.

We have just had the coldest March in 50 years.....

Arthur Little
6th April 2013, 15:48
we will all be frozen to death to enjoy any green power if it ever comes.

:gp: ... March was :freezin: cold throughout! And so far, there're few signs that April will be any better! :36_1_26[1]:

stevewool
6th April 2013, 16:42
well today is a beautiful day, must be double figures here in derby, washing on the line and i have pruned all my climbing plants and bushes, now where are my flip flops and shorts :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
6th April 2013, 18:28
well if we have used that much hay ho, just have to go and buy a onesie for us all to wear:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

steve i think you will have the smallest gas and electric bills than anyone here, you hardly put the heat on :icon_lol:

imagine
6th April 2013, 19:18
my heating's never off, just looked outside and its started to snow again, i get the feeling summer will miss us this year

grahamw48
6th April 2013, 20:13
steve i think you will have the smallest gas and electric bills than anyone here, you hardly put the heat on :icon_lol:

Don't be so sure about that mate. :biggrin:

imagine
6th April 2013, 20:17
Don't be so sure about that mate. :biggrin:

ok i forgot second smallest graham will top anyone on that score :biggrin:

grahamw48
6th April 2013, 20:20
Too bloody right. :icon_lol:

imagine
6th April 2013, 20:22
you know my heating is on most of the year round with quarterly bills pretty much the same,

electric £80 a quarter, gas £200 to £250 a quarter, now i think its a lot to pay, but in the sense that all fuel is too expensive these days, so on that , i think my bills are pretty good with what i use,

double glazed wall and loft insulation minimizes the fuel used

stevewool
6th April 2013, 20:38
you know my heating is on most of the year round with quarterly bills pretty much the same,

electric £80 a quater, gas £200 to £250 a quater, now i think its a lot to pay, but in the sense that all fuel is too expensive these days, so on that , i think my bills are pretty good with what i use,

double glazed wall and loft insulation minimizes the fuel used

that does sound good :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
6th April 2013, 20:44
Mine averages out at around £20 a week for the (6 ?) cold months of the year, and half that when the heating is off. That's for both gas and electric.

3 bed detached house, with loft and wall insulation, plus fully d/glazed.

Just remember not to take your coat off when you come in. :biggrin:

imagine
6th April 2013, 20:46
that does sound good:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

a tip for gas central heating, dont keep switching on and off, better economy to keep on a lower temperature, most of the gas used is heating the water from cold:xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
7th April 2013, 00:06
Come to the Philippines, the more brownouts there are the higher your bills get, and they try and charge you interest if your not smart enough to spot it. :yikes:

Arthur Little
7th April 2013, 01:42
Just remember not to take your coat off when you come in. :biggrin:

Thanks for the tip, Graham ... I won't! As the saying goes, "to be forewarned is to be forearmed"! Like your "takeoff" of that crusty old curmudgeon, :biggrin: Victor Meldrew, I'll keep MY "bunnet" on too,
if you don't mind.

grahamw48
7th April 2013, 10:44
You're welcome Arthur. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

...Probably feel tropical down here compared with your frozen Trossachs up there in Bonnie Scotland. :biggrin:

Iani
7th April 2013, 11:48
Compared to Canada, we keep our houses way too warm - so I'm told.
One big problem is that of the climate - it isn't just cold, it's also damp. If we don't heat at least a bit, then our houses will start to get mouldy. So many times I visit other people's houses as part of my job, and when they open the door, the smell of mildew hits you!

However, it's not too bad. Make sure you are well insulated, but more importantly maybe even than heating - vent the place. Open windows when you can (Yes I know it lets heat out, but if it isn't being heated anyway). Wipe windows down when they get damp.
Oh and extremely importantly - check your wardrobes, they can get mildew and mould in there if it's really cold. Its as easy as just opening the door and circulating things in there once in a while. Maybe invest for the winter in one of those little chemical damp traps - useless for a big room of course, but ideal for a wardrobe and for £1.00 at the pound shop, it won't break the bank.

As for heating, my supplier Npower has just done a dirty. Their blurb said "in order to make it simpler" they have introduced one rate instead of a cheaper one after you use so many units, along with a standing charge.

NO!
The real reason they have done this, is because they know full well people have been turning the heating down, pensioners have been shivering to save money. Can't have that and hit profits can we - so they have put on a standing charge so you'll be spending the best part of a pound a day just to have the electric and gas sat there doing nothing.

If anything, these sliding scales, the first units should be cheapest, to encourage people not to waste energy - but this would hit profits, so they will never do that.

Well they're all as bad, but I've just moved to Ebico, some smaller not for profit one (so they say) which piggybacks on SSE. Cheapest of the bunch for me, oh well

stevewool
21st April 2013, 16:46
well good news again , i forgot all about my gas and electric bills and have just opened them , the gas is £170 and the electric £134 not bad for the three months:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
21st April 2013, 16:53
well good news again , i forgot all about my gas and electric bills and have just opened them , the gas is £170 and the electric £134 not bad for the three months:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

yeah but :biggrin: i get the vision of you and em sat with thermal jackets on and the heating off:biggrin::icon_lol:

stevewool
21st April 2013, 16:58
i wonder thats why i am just getting over some sort of flu

imagine
21st April 2013, 17:02
i wonder thats why i am just getting over some sort of flu
:freezin::freezin::icon_lol:

DaveyWallis
21st April 2013, 17:04
I was clearing out some old paperwork last week and found my combined gas and electricity bill from 2009. It was £80.00 per month, exactly the same as I pay now. Not bad for a 4 bed detached.

I had a new condenser boiler fitted in 2010 along with a new double radiator and TRV valves in most rooms for just under £2k. I guess all that will have paid for itself over 4 to 5 years.

Michael Parnham
22nd April 2013, 16:50
Well chaps, I think all your bills are high because I pay £30 per month for electric & £40 per month for gas by direct debit, and my quarterly bill has just left me £132 in credit, so how good is that!!:xxgrinning--00xx3: