PDA

View Full Version : anyone used paypal to send money to the Philippines?

richardandjenny
1st September 2007, 20:58
fed up paying silly money at my bank and hastle of western union to send money.

i have an paypal account and set one up for jenny she just needs to get a card set up to her account and think thats us.

just wondered if anyone else uses that system?

andypaul
1st September 2007, 21:01
Not herad of using paypal direct to phil,allthough i have used my paypal account to transfer money to xoom.

aromulus
1st September 2007, 21:14
Not herad of using paypal direct to phil,allthough i have used my paypal account to transfer money to xoom.

Yup, been doing the same for a long time, with great success and reliability...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

It ain't the fastest way to do it, but heck, it is cheap enough.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
2 or 3 days later the money is there, either in the bank, or cash in hand delivered to the door, which ever you prefer.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

richardandjenny
1st September 2007, 21:31
aromulus & andypaul so i need to transfer it to xoom??

one of the problems with paypal was it said add a bank account but it only allowed USA accounts. and jenny has no credit card (shhh if she had one i would be in debt) so i was trying to avoid getting her a credit card. would xoom allow that ( straight into bank account) ? never heard of it?

andypaul
1st September 2007, 21:51
Xoom will charge you afew quid for the privillge and is basically a remittance company that excepts paypal as a way of payment.

Im not sure but i looked at paypal back in 2005 and paypal was not able to work or be processed in phill as far as i could work out.

You can also get from various companys both pay as you go credit and debit cards. the costs all vary as to the ways to load them and the market keeps changing so hard to keep up.

what bank is your wife with as some of the big remittance companiesin the UK long estabilished can pay with in 24/48 hours or so into Jennys account. The various remittance companies are allied to various banks.
Some banks like PNB have a prescense here which others have more experince with and recomend.

richardandjenny
1st September 2007, 21:57
she is with BDO which his a main stream bank i believe.

aromulus
1st September 2007, 22:06
she is with BDO which his a main stream bank i believe.

Yes, xoom can deliver to Banco de Oro, I just check it on the list of banks.

The way it works is easy.

Xoom will, at a fee, collect the money from your paypal account or credit card, and transfer it to the bank account of your choice, or even deliver the cash , Php or US $$, to directly into your wife's hands.

Here is the link
https://www.xoom.com/

Paul&Jesse
1st September 2007, 22:14
The Philippines National Bank (PNB) remittance system is excellent. Once you have set up an account with PNB you can phone up or go online and send money using your debit card and have it either paid directly into your gf’s / wife’s / fiancée’s bank account (if it is PNB account the money is there instantly if another bank, 2 days) , or if she doesn’t have one she can get a special PNB remittance card, and again can withdraw the money immediately, or finally they have an option to deliver it to her door. The service costs £5 for up to £1000 sent, £7 for £1500 going up pro rata and the exchange rate given is better than Xoom and Western Union!

Alternatively set up an account with the Nationwide Building Society get a cash card and send it to her and fund the account. This is the cheapest way as Nationwide don’t charge for overseas withdrawals and give a good exchange rate.

richardandjenny
1st September 2007, 22:14
oh thanks i will have a look, it i get stuck sorry u may have pm lol

Paul&Jesse
1st September 2007, 22:16
Yes, xoom can deliver to Banco de Oro, I just check it on the list of banks.

The way it works is easy.

Xoom will, at a fee, collect the money from your paypal account or credit card, and transfer it to the bank account of your choice, or even deliver the cash , Php or US $$, to directly into your wife's hands.

Here is the link
https://www.xoom.com/

The problem with xoom is they offer poor exchange rates so, although free, you just end up paying through the exchange rate spread.

PeterB
1st September 2007, 23:05
Yep, I've already posted twice about PNB Global Filipino Money Card (GFMC). It's an ATM card, which is issued for free in PI, and you don't need any other account in order to obtain or use the card. You can load money on it here in UK by phone/letter to PNB in London, or by going online. The funds can be drawn from a debit or credit card, or can be paid in cash over the counter at PNB London. In addition, you can make credits to PNB at any Natwest or Barclays branch.

Fees are low .. £5 for anything up to £1000, £7 for £1001 to £10000. Exchange rate is also good ... I got 93.45 pesos/pound yesterday (31 August). The cash can be drawn in Phils within minutes of the phone call to London.

Oh, the other benefit is that up tp 40,000 pesos can be drawn per day from any PNB ATM. Ruby and her mum both have cards and have been known to draw 80,000 in a day! I was concerned that they might empty the machine!

We've used the facility extensively over the last 3 weeks.

andypaul
1st September 2007, 23:13
Yep, I've already posted twice about PNB Global Filipino Money Card (GFMC). It's an ATM card, which is issued for free in PI, and you don't need any other account in order to obtain or use the card. You can load money on it here in UK by phone/letter to PNB in London, or by going online. The funds can be drawn from a debit or credit card, or can be paid in cash over the counter at PNB London. In addition, you can make credits to PNB at any Natwest or Barclays branch.

Fees are low .. £5 for anything up to £1000, £7 for £1001 to £10000. Exchange rate is also good ... I got 93.45 pesos/pound yesterday (31 August). The cash can be drawn in Phils within minutes of the phone call to London.

Oh, the other benefit is that up tp 40,000 pesos can be drawn per day from any PNB ATM. Ruby and her mum both have cards and have been known to draw 80,000 in a day! I was concerned that they might empty the machine!

We've used the facility extensively over the last 3 weeks.

80 thou :omg: but saing that when the missus bought her laptop she had to drawn sums like that so is needed sometimes i guess.

Paul&Jesse
1st September 2007, 23:22
80 thou :omg: but saing that when the missus bought her laptop she had to drawn sums like that so is needed sometimes.

If you’re travelling to the Philippines I suggest that you buy the laptop in the uk and take it with you (companies such as acer have world wide warranty systems) much cheaper than in the Phils :yikes: for comparable specifications.

Broadband is only slightly more expensive than the UK, if you get the Globe system you don’t even need a landline, otherwise use PLDT.

andypaul
1st September 2007, 23:28
If you’re travelling to the Philippines I suggest that you buy the laptop in the uk and take it with you (companies such as acer have world wide warranty systems) much cheaper than in the Phils :yikes: for comparable specifications.

Broadband is only slightly more expensive than the UK, if you get the Globe system you don’t even need a landline, otherwise use PLDT.

Would have just taken one i had at home, but she needed it asap due to this and that. Same with a printer/mfd could bring one over but was easier to get over there.

We use smart with the huuuggeee aerial over there which is ok and like you say needs no landline. They also dont seem to throttle the broadband yet, like they do here for many services so you get what it says on the tin.

Mich
2nd September 2007, 03:53
here is another way to send money. if you have chikka messenger, click on the i$end icon and do your transaction. if you dont have, you can download it www.chikka.com (http://www.chikka.com)

the recipient should be have a Smart mobile account. When you send the money, Smart will send the recipient a smart Money Card that works like an ATM card and debit card.

Within minutes, a notification from the i$end will arrive in the mobile, and the recipient can get the money.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
2nd September 2007, 11:33
pnb online is cheap as others have said, good exchange rate - better than most, if not all the others. and i've been using them for many years, only ever had one problem, and they sorted that out. also they post you an offical remittance receipt thru the post, which is good evidence for those applying for a visa, helping to proof a relationship, helped me get ILR for my stepson, proving we had been supporting him while his mom was in the uk.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mikeh
2nd September 2007, 15:50
Thanks everyone for all this advice.

We've been using an unmentionable remittance service for a couple of years which lately has been giving a terrible service and causing a lot of delays and inconvenience.I even had to email their head office in Manila the last time to sort things out and just asked for a refund of the money deposited with them as they had taken so long :Brick:.

As you say High Street banks are not so good: the charges are not so bad but their exchange rates are daylight robbery and you lose about 5% of your money :angry:.

I shall be making arrangements with PNB online forthwith ( or even with forth :) )