PDA

View Full Version : UHT Long Life Milk

jake
24th March 2013, 05:20
Do you buy fresh or uht long life milk?

Having spent most of my adult life living in countries where fresh milk is not readily available i still cant drink UHT milk on its own. Can handle it in tea/coffee and more recently in my porridge (oatmeal) in the mornings.

My favourite part of primary school in the 70's was the free half pint of milk we used to get every morning in a glass bottle. Very cold in the winter and slightly warm in the summer with the bit of cream on the top :hubbahubba:

Terpe
24th March 2013, 09:56
Do you buy fresh or uht long life milk?

Having spent most of my adult life living in countries where fresh milk is not readily available i still cant drink UHT milk on its own. Can handle it in tea/coffee and more recently in my porridge (oatmeal) in the mornings.

My favourite part of primary school in the 70's was the free half pint of milk we used to get every morning in a glass bottle. Very cold in the winter and slightly warm in the summer with the bit of cream on the top :hubbahubba:

Ah yes, the fresh milk from school days................that's going back a long time.......isn't it?
Those who couldn't drink milk could have a special order of orange juice delivered in the same size bottles.

I'm not really a milk drinker, probably due to those forced milk drinking school days.
But I do love a nice bowl of cornflakes with cold fresh milk :xxgrinning--00xx3:

In the Philippines we can get 'regular' milk from the SM supermarket in Marikina and we can get in Davao also.
I've found plenty of places selling fresh milk to discover it's really 'raw' and, in my own view, actually may be better for me than any equivalent I might find in UK.
In UK I'll drink 'raw' if I can find it (not easy these days)

Here in UK we almost never buy UHT milk. It just tastes terrible. Besides which, to me, it serves no purpose other than for adding to tea or coffee.
As I understand it UHT milk is not quite the drink we may think in that the processes and high temperatures might actually destroy some important nutritious constituents and potential negative impacts much of the Calcium, Phosphorus and Iodine content.

Michael Parnham
24th March 2013, 10:01
Ah yes I used to enjoy my school milk, it was 1/3 pint bottles with the waxed cardboard top and I also remember the orange juice too, great days!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
24th March 2013, 10:05
i can remember that too, i cant be that old , it must have been in a dream i had, yes must be:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

grahamw48
24th March 2013, 19:51
I can drink any kind of milk...no probs.

In the Phils, UHT or powdered. Here, fresh, with powdered as back up .

Ah yes, the time I was promoted to 'Milk Monitor' at school.

That meant dishing it out to the other (underdog) pupils while having access to unlimited supplies of milk and orange for yourself.

Maybe that's why I put on more than 4 inches in height and 2st in weight during that last 9 months at school. :biggrin:

imagine
24th March 2013, 21:13
Peter what is raw milk?

I remember the school milk also, and the orange juice, but ours had normal foil tops, I think it came to its end before I left school if my memory serves me right

Terpe
24th March 2013, 21:26
Peter what is raw milk?.............

Straight from the animal without any of the usual processes (eg like not pasteurised etc)
We always had raw milk as kids by choice. The school stuff I think was pasteurised.

In the Philippines, depending where you live, it's quite easy to buy some great fresh local milk but usually it's raw milk as it just from a few animals.
There's quite a debate about health issues on this, mainly because of the hormones etc that get put into the dairy stock here in the west.

I like goats milk too. And goats cheese.
Never actually drank sheeps milk but love Roquefort Cheese, Pecorino Romano and Manchego, all made from sheeps milk

I've never sample horse milk either, I don't shop at Tesco:biggrin:

grahamw48
24th March 2013, 21:30
Probably not wise to drink raw milk in less developed countries...as my mother did in Malaya in the 50s.

She spent 9 months in hospital with TB of the lungs.

imagine
24th March 2013, 22:00
I did think that's what raw possibly meant, I guess safer to have pasteurised from the tb point of view

grahamw48
24th March 2013, 23:41
Definitely....plus other bacterial infections if there has been any chance of the stuff having passed through an 'unclean' environment.

stevie c
25th March 2013, 00:30
I remember when i was a kid we always had sterilized milk in our house

jake
25th March 2013, 01:35
Straight from the animal without any of the usual processes (eg like not pasteurised etc)
We always had raw milk as kids by choice. The school stuff I think was pasteurised.

In the Philippines, depending where you live, it's quite easy to buy some great fresh local milk but usually it's raw milk as it just from a few animals.
There's quite a debate about health issues on this, mainly because of the hormones etc that get put into the dairy stock here in the west.

I like goats milk too. And goats cheese.
Never actually drank sheeps milk but love Roquefort Cheese, Pecorino Romano and Manchego, all made from sheeps milk

I've never sample horse milk either, I don't shop at Tesco:biggrin:

The SM supermarket nearest to us doesn't sell fresh milk. Have never seen it on sale anywhere else in our area.

Goats milk and cheese are readily available. When i was a "kid" my mother used to force me to drink goats milk as i had eczema and it was supposed to help. The milk came from our neighbors who kept goats and the taste was awful! Tried it again years later and it wasn't nearly as bad as i remembered. Found out the taste varies depending on how the goats are kept.

jake
25th March 2013, 01:42
Definitely....plus other bacterial infections if there has been any chance of the stuff having passed through an 'unclean' environment.

Raw milk does taste better but i have to agree with your points on the health issues, especially in countries like the Philippines.

imagine
25th March 2013, 02:10
I remember when i was a kid we always had sterilized milk in our house

was that the model milk , long thin neck on bottle, metal cap, awful in tea, great on cornflakes and in porridge:biggrin:

Michael Parnham
25th March 2013, 09:49
Yes, pasteurised was tuberculin tested! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
25th March 2013, 10:22
Yes, pasteurised was tuberculin tested! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Then ... when Thatcher came on the scene as Education Minister in the early 1970s ... school milk was [literally] "past your eyes" :Bolt: before you noticed it ...

... courtesy of Thatcher ... "the milk snatcher" ... :yeahthat:

fred
25th March 2013, 11:04
Jake.. We used to be able to get real fresh milk from Mom n Pops in Manila..
For some reason it aint so available now..
UHT?? Only in strong coffee for me..
I try it with Yorkshire tea bags here occasionally but it tastes like crap to me.
Might get myself a dairy cow.

fred
25th March 2013, 11:08
However!!...............

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3813602040_70e8d8b638.jpg

Rizal Dairy Farms (http://www.ourawesomeplanet.com/awesome/2009/08/the-best-fresh-milk-and-yogurt-in-the-philippines.html) produces one of the best fresh milk products and fresh yogurts in the Philippines. Its greek yogurt has a cult following in the foodie circle (http://dessertcomesfirst.com/archives/1506?1f9e6ec0). I love their plain yogurts with Mango or Strawberry because of the rich and creamy consistency. Best of all, they are locally produced in the Philippines! The only thing that comes close to it is the fresh milk produced in the Dairy Farms of Del Monte in Bukidnon.

Rizal Dairy Farms (located in the house of Jacqueline Haessig Alleje in Beverly Hills, Antipolo) will definitely be one of the stops in the Culinary Tour of Antipolo.

Rizal Dairy Farm's ALL NATURAL DAIRY PRODUCTS (Prices as of August 14, 2009. Subject to change without prior notice.)Buttermilk, 1 lt - P 120 Ricotta Cheese, 250 grams, - P 185 Mozzarella Balls, in Brine, 200 grams, - P 200 Mozzarellini, low fat, 200 grams, - P 200 Mozzarella Block, 200 grams, - P 200 Kesong Puti , vacuum packed - P 105 Boursin Cheese, 170 grams - P 120 Smoked Fish Cheese Spread, 170 grams - P 120 Swiss Quark, low fat, 350 grams - P 100 Greek yoghurt, 350 grams - P 110 Sour Cream, 350 grams tumbler - P 100 Cream Cheese, 350 grams tumbler - P 120 Creamy Low Fat Yoghurt, plain sugar free - 350 grams tumbler - P80 Yoghurt, Pineapple, Mango, Vanilla, Strawberry Low Fat, twin - P95 Yoghurt, Plain, Non Fat and Low Fat, twins - P78 Whey (upon order) 1 liter - P80

Doc Alan
25th March 2013, 11:50
Milk and its products have similar nutritional value ( if not taste ) , whether pasteurised or not.

• Pasteurisation was first developed by Louis Pasteur about 150 years ago and involves heating milk to a specific temperature for a set time. This kills harmful “ bugs “ ( which might cause tuberculosis, typhoid fever, diphtheria, brucellosis, dysentery and listeriosis ). UHT ( ultra heat treated ) milk involves higher temperature and allows milk to stay “ safe “ for much longer, but only if the original pack is unopened. Refrigeration is needed after opening any pre-treated milk / products, because low levels of other “ bugs “ may still be present.

• “ Raw “ milk may in fact be produced in dairies with higher hygiene standards than those where heat treatment allows complacency and cruelty to animals.

• If in doubt, check the label and the source ! It’s legal to supply unpasteurised milk/products direct to consumers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not Scotland, and the situation varies in different countries.

• Symptoms of food poisoning from harmful bugs in raw milk are just like those from other causes – vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, fever, headache, and body ache.

• There are over 100 types of mycobacteria ( the bug causing TB ). Almost all human TB is caused by breathing in infected air droplets from someone with active lung TB. “ Bovine “ TB ( from cows ) probably causes less than 1% of human TB ( a tiny proportion of that is from raw milk ).

See also http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/31919-TB-curable-but-a-long-way-to-go?p=426119#post426119

imagine
25th March 2013, 15:28
thanks Doc Alan, so are you saying raw milk is safe enough ?

Raw “ milk produced in dairies with higher hygiene standards
TB ( from cows ) probably causes less than 1% of human TB ( a tiny proportion of that is from raw milk ).

Doc Alan
25th March 2013, 21:23
The safety ( or otherwise ) of raw milk absolutely depends on the source and preparation. Given the choice, I would always choose pasteurised milk and have a carton of UHT milk in reserve. There are many potentially serious bugs ( pathogens ) in milk products. However, I respect a lifestyle choice for ( or lack of alternative to ) raw milk – if you can trust its origin.

There’s a separate thread on tuberculosis for good reasons. It can’t be emphasised often enough – TB nowadays is primarily a lung disease and by far the commonest mode of spread is from someone with active disease coughing in proximity to susceptible individuals. From the evidence I have seen, acquiring TB from raw milk is uncommon - if it did occur, ulcers in the bowel and / or peritonitis would result, not lung TB.

imagine
25th March 2013, 22:26
I guess its like anything else, have to weigh up the risks