PDA

View Full Version : Phils Trip Feb/Mar 2013 Part 4

Ako Si Jamie
18th March 2013, 22:02
Dumaguete

We found Dumaguete very nice and laid back but more of a big town than a city. Our hotel, Florentina Homes was situated close to the airport and a 25 minute walk into town or a 20 peso trike ride. The hotel had rooms named after Liverpool, Harrogate, York and Leeds.

Apart from enjoying what Dumaguete had to offer, we visited other places in the area. Saturday 23rd was the start of over a week of continuous glorious weather so we headed down to Apo Island.

The trike ride down to Zamboanguita was very pleasant. The boat ride across to the island was expensive at 2000 peso's so we hung around to see if anyone else wanted to go across and go halfs on the journey.

An attractive middle aged happy-go-lucky Pinay arrived soon after at the jetty with her older Dutch playmate lumbering behind. She was from Zamboanga and was visiting her son in Dumaguete and she had just met the Dutchman who was down from Cebu. Unknown to him she already had a partner in Mindanao who was Swiss. This is what she told Maria anyhow. In Tagalog of course!

The banca was small and was just big enough for the four of us and the crew. The crossing was choppy and every five minutes or so sea water would splatter everyone but it was fun. It took half an hour give or take to get to the island which gave us around four hours before the boat went back.

ZAMBOANGUITA

The island has a resort with splendid views and you can use their reasonably priced restaurant if you so which. Unless you're a diver there's not a great deal to do here although I was kept busy by trying to avoid an elderly female stalker who was hell bent on flogging me an undersized navy blue T-shirt of Apo Island.

There's not much sand on the beach, mainly rock and also large boulders which you could climb across. Perfect though for escaping from elderly stalkers. This is the area where you can observe sea turtles but unfortunately a photo was out of the question as they only popped their heads out of the water briefly.

APO ISLAND

The day after we went to Apo Island, we visited the falls in Valencia, just outside Dumaguete but the trike broke down and we had to ride the remainder on the back of a bike.

The scenery was fantastic but we couldn't really take pictures on a bike. A familiar voice was heard from the wayside as we spluttered up an incline. It was 'Miss Zamboanga' waving from the side of a hot pool while her Dutch buddy wallowed in the water.

More pics to follow.......

Ako Si Jamie
18th March 2013, 22:10
dumaguete

imagine
18th March 2013, 22:11
home from home, Liverpool, Harrogate, York and Leeds.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

whats the rock in the water? looks like bali hi :icon_lol::biggrin:

good photo's, i dont see any street litter:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
18th March 2013, 22:13
Just rock formation iconic to Apo Island.

lovejoy
19th March 2013, 11:24
Way back 2008 we went on APO Island and it was beautiful... But what's the funny thing happen when we went to Dumaguete was I can't remember the place all I can remember that he hired a van to go somewhere then when we got there there's an entrance fee and the money collector told us 10 pesos for pinoy and 100 pesos for foreigners... :yikes: Only in the Philippines..

grahamw48
19th March 2013, 12:25
Another great report Jamie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That Florentina Homes hotel looks really cosy, oh, and naturally I'd have to stay in the 'York' Apartelle. :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
19th March 2013, 12:46
Ahhh! the boulavard Dumaguete, Maritess and I used to walk along it quite a number of times every evening and many of the locals used to talk us and some asked where we were from because we are both white and Maritess used you speak in visaya and they were very shocked, we became quite popular in Dumaguete and we enjoyed the attention. Nice memories and it certainly is the city of gentle people! Thanks for that Jamie and Maria:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickmyrna
19th March 2013, 13:52
nice pics :xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks for sharing Jamie & Maria :smile:

highlander01
19th March 2013, 13:58
Nice report. Sad us newbies can't see the pictures though.... :icon_rolleyes:

Terpe
19th March 2013, 16:59
Another great job Jaimie. well done. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Great pics, very interesting too.

Ako Si Jamie
19th March 2013, 20:19
Thanks again people!

Ako Si Jamie
19th March 2013, 20:24
good photo's, i dont see any street litter:xxgrinning--00xx3:Dumaguete's pretty clean Stewart. It bans smoking in public too, not that I approve. :biggrin:

Way back 2008 we went on APO Island and it was beautiful... But what's the funny thing happen when we went to Dumaguete was I can't remember the place all I can remember that he hired a van to go somewhere then when we got there there's an entrance fee and the money collector told us 10 pesos for pinoy and 100 pesos for foreigners... :yikes: Only in the Philippines..Think yourself lucky you're not Korean. They get charged more than the average foreigner. :biggrin:

Another great report Jamie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That Florentina Homes hotel looks really cosy, oh, and naturally I'd have to stay in the 'York' Apartelle. :biggrin:Next door to Les in the Harrogate one :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nice report. Sad us newbies can't see the pictures though.... :icon_rolleyes:I'll do a YouTube video of all my pics sometime. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

South-east boy
20th March 2013, 10:57
Enjoyable read and some great pics! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
20th March 2013, 21:19
Cheers SE Boy :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Apo Island vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBQDBfP7AOY&feature=youtu.be