PDA

View Full Version : Resident in Spain: How long can they leave for before losing status?

johncar54
14th March 2013, 10:16
My wife’s best friend has Residencia in Spain. She has gone to Ireland for a holiday of 'up to six months'.

I know that if a person with Residencia status leaves Spain for more than 6 months (a couple of exceptions) they lose their status.

It is six months in a 'year'.

Anyone know if that is in a period of 'any 12 months', or if it is 1st Jan to 31st Dec.?

I cannot find the answer despite searching the internet.

Thanks John

In Passing:
The friend also went to Ireland last year. When she returned after 5 months she was ‘given a bit of a hard time’. They did not explain why she was stopped and questioned. I could not understand why that would be as she had permanent Residencia. I later discovered the 6 months in a year rule. She had been to Phil for three months early last year and thus that may have been the reason she was questioned.

johncar54
31st August 2013, 08:29
Well the day has arrived when my friend will be 'testing' the regulations.

She is (hoping) to be allowed to return to Spain tomorrow, having been (in Ireland and Philippines) for a total of about 9 months in the 12 months from 1st Sept 2012.

johncar54
6th September 2013, 11:50
Up-date.

She was allowed in without any problem.

My friend ask the immigration officer at Malaga airport what the rules are.

Apparently after the first Residencia is issued one can leave for up to 180 days.

After the second, up to a year

and after the third and onward, up to two years, although these periods can be extended on application for extreme situations, e.g. illness by subject or close relative etc.

joebloggs
6th September 2013, 13:04
:xxgrinning--00xx3: news and thanks for informing us