PDA

View Full Version : Barrio Fiesta London 2013

Terpe
13th March 2013, 09:27
Important statement from the Philippine Centre regarding the Barrio Fiesta sa London

Announcement

The Philippine Centre, together with our partner, ABS-CBN Europe Ltd, is very pleased to inform all our members, sponsors, stall holders, volunteers and supporters that the 29th Barrio Fiesta sa London 2013 will be held at Apps Court Farm (Hampton Court, Surrey, KT12 2EG).

The Barrio Fiesta has evolved over the years thus the requirements have also changed. To that end, we have found a venue which we believe to be more suitable. Therefore, it will not be held in Lampton Park, Hounslow as it was in the past.

We would like to thank the London Borough of Hounslow and all the various partners and supporters who have assisted us over many years. We will always treasure the fond memories of holding the Barrio Fiesta sa London in Hounslow.

The Philippine Centre and ABS-CBN will be announcing more details over the coming months, so please keep checking our website for the latest information.

The Philippine Centre

8th March 2013

Source:-
http://www.fil-event.com/blogs_/Important-statement-from-the-Philippine-Centre-regarding-the-Barri.shtml

Dedworth
13th March 2013, 09:53
Privately owned setup I wonder what the entry and parking charges will be

http://www.appscourtfarm.com/

bigmarco
13th March 2013, 16:55
Good post Terpe I was looking for this info last week :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Been to this place before and would say it's not as well serviced by Public Transport as Lampton Park, so I guess they're looking at making a killing on the Car Parking at £10 a time.
Probably means that my local one at Morden is a lot easier for people in London to get to on Public Transport.

Dedworth
13th March 2013, 17:24
Marco I know the area a little - it is not as well served as Hounslow/Lampton. The two nearest railway stations Hersham & Hampton Court are both 2.5 miles away . It is off the A3050 I'm not sure if any buses run along there between Walton & Molesey/Hampton Court.

The address is misleading I'd say it is much closer to Walton on Thames than Hampton Court

bigmarco
13th March 2013, 17:42
Marco I know the area a little - it is not as well served as Hounslow/Lampton. The two nearest railway stations Hersham & Hampton Court are both 2.5 miles away . It is off the A3050 I'm not sure if any buses run along there between Walton & Molesey/Hampton Court.

The address is misleading I'd say it is much closer to Walton on Thames than Hampton Court

You're right Ded. :xxgrinning--00xx3: My ex used to go to a Sunday boot sale there and we always classed it as Walton on Thames.
Don't know why they moved as there's only so many Phone Card stalls and Apartment sales reps you can put up with in a day.

Mr nice74
13th March 2013, 22:08
I was wondering is the event in morden as big as the hounslow event Surrey is a bit too far from north London

bigmarco
14th March 2013, 00:01
Not quite as big but pretty close. It's only south end of the Northern Line and a 10 to 15 min walk or short bus ride.

Dedworth
14th March 2013, 10:37
Not quite as big but pretty close. It's only south end of the Northern Line and a 10 to 15 min walk or short bus ride.

Thats right and they normally run a free shuttle bus from the tube station

bigmarco
15th July 2013, 17:52
Don't forget it's the Barrio Fiesta sa London this coming weekend. Anybody going.

http://www.londonbarriofiesta.com/

Terpe
15th July 2013, 18:35
Don't forget it's the Barrio Fiesta sa London this coming weekend. Anybody going.

http://www.londonbarriofiesta.com/

We're seriously considering it, especially as the weather looks set to continue sunny and warm :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If I go you'll easily spot me, I'll be the bloke in a black cap with white Japanese Characters on the front :wink:

Marco, do you know of any Hotels in the vicinity ?

stevewool
15th July 2013, 19:38
Ems going i am not so look out for her , you cannot miss her because she is just perfect :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bigmarco
15th July 2013, 21:56
We're seriously considering it, especially as the weather looks set to continue sunny and warm :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If I go you'll easily spot me, I'll be the bloke in a black cap with white Japanese Characters on the front :wink:

Marco, do you know of any Hotels in the vicinity ?

Plenty of Hotels in the area Terpe as it's fairly close to Heathrow and right by Hampton Court Palace. Not able to recommend anything apart from the White Hart Hotel Hampton Wick used to do a nice selection of real ales some years back and fairly decent food.
I think Dedworth knows the area so he might be able to give you a few pointers.

http://whiteharthoteluk.co.uk/

Terpe
16th July 2013, 09:17
I did phone a few Hotels yesterday afternoon but either full or far too expensive for me.
I'll keep trying.
I'll check out the link you kindly posted. Thanks Marco

Dedworth
16th July 2013, 12:32
I don't really know anywhere in the area - I'd avoid St Giles Hotel Feltham . Theres Hilton at Cobham £78 on Sat Night http://www.lastminute.com

de Vere Venue East Horsley £39.00 (these are odd places corporate training & conference centres open to Joe Public at weekends
http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/locations.html

Terpe
16th July 2013, 16:09
I don't really know anywhere in the area - I'd avoid St Giles Hotel Feltham . Theres Hilton at Cobham £78 on Sat Night http://www.lastminute.com

de Vere Venue East Horsley £39.00 (these are odd places corporate training & conference centres open to Joe Public at weekends
http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/locations.html

Thanks Dedworth. Much appreciated :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
19th July 2013, 18:58
Hope you found a hotel Terpe sir going to be interesting how it goes this year just a little remote I would suspect for many regulars so they will rely on a friend with a car or the shuttle bus. I presume all the bendy buses Boris scraped will be in use as at peak times hundreds are coming and going at previous years events pretty much all of the day..

I feel for those who travel there on their own or have to leave early for work or to catch a last train or booked coach ..

Terpe
19th July 2013, 19:06
Hope you found a hotel Terpe

Good news and bad news.
The good news is I found a hotel Travelodge...cheap as chips.
The bad news is my wife was asked to do long days (7am-10pm) today and tomorrow at work. Sunday will be restful.
So the hotel got un-booked, luckily not probs

Never mind, more spending money for our upcoming trip to Vatican City. A much better prospect by far imho

stevewool
19th July 2013, 19:48
Vatican city, dont mind me asking what price are you looking at to get there and back, and which airport too, i have been looking but cant seem to get cheaper then £230, just the flights

Terpe
19th July 2013, 20:02
Vatican city, dont mind me asking what price are you looking at to get there and back, and which airport too, i have been looking but cant seem to get cheaper then £230, just the flights

Steve, I booked flights and hotel with British Airways.
The hotel is ESH in Roma with two free nights.
Flying Club class from Gatwick (£100 per person cheaper than economy flight from Heathrow)

Cost me £630 for a week for flights (club) and hotel (4*) with brekky.

Just booked a full day tour of Vatican City with Dark Rome

Gonna have some fun

stevewool
19th July 2013, 20:07
Steve, I booked flights and hotel with British Airways.
The hotel is ESH in Roma with two free nights.
Flying Club class from Gatwick (£100 per person cheaper than economy flight from Heathrow)

Cost me £630 for a week for flights (club) and hotel (4*) with brekky.

Just booked a full day tour of Vatican City with Dark Rome

Gonna have some fun

wow, thats a great price:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
19th July 2013, 20:12
wow, thats a great price:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Check out the BA city breaks Steve they do some pretty hefty discounts for Flights+Hotels :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Mind you, for a week away it's not a cheap holiday. Especially as I've added some tours. But it's a dream of Carina to go there and I know it'll be a lifetime memory.

...........Till the next dream :xxparty-smiley-004:

stevewool
19th July 2013, 20:46
to tell the truth we are looking at rome and venice this year but its getting the time off together,
Ems has got her two weeks booked but there is a problem sep 21st till oct 6th great, but they said she cannot have it all she will have to come to work on sept 27th and again sept 29th,
So we are looking at plan 104 now:NoNo::NoNo:

Slip
19th July 2013, 20:47
I live local, and as mentioned, avoid St Giles hotel at all costs.... there is a travelodge no further than a 5 minute walk away, never stayed there personally, but it has to be better than St Giles!

If travelling by car from there to Apps farm you are looking at a 20 minute drive or so.

Terpe
20th July 2013, 08:14
I originall booked the Travelodge on Ashley Park Road, Walton-on-Thames.
That's just a couple of miles away. Maybe 5-10 mins max driving time.

The closest place I could find was The Weir Hotel on Waterside Drive.
Just a couple of hundred meters walking, but the price of £95 was too rich me

somebody
20th July 2013, 17:15
Sorry to hear about the change in work times :-( Terpe. On Rome and the Vatican about 600 quid sounds right for a few days there we stayed near the central station and a bus took you right outside the Vatican. Worth getting the tourist card forgotten the name but includes a travel ticket for a few days and free or cheaper entry to quite a few places of intrest.
The best bit about Rome is with a pinay you will never be lost as so many phills there. Especially hanging round the central station on a Saturday or Sunday.

Although due to the economic situation in Italy foreigners are not always treated so well as we found out last week generally Phill are treated quite well by Italians Compared to other non European looking foreigners.

Terpe
20th July 2013, 18:12
Sorry to hear about the change in work times :-( Terpe. On Rome and the Vatican about 600 quid sounds right for a few days there we stayed near the central station and a bus took you right outside the Vatican. Worth getting the tourist card forgotten the name but includes a travel ticket for a few days and free or cheaper entry to quite a few places of intrest.
The best bit about Rome is with a pinay you will never be lost as so many phills there. Especially hanging round the central station on a Saturday or Sunday.

Although due to the economic situation in Italy foreigners are not always treated so well as we found out last week generally Phill are treated quite well by Italians Compared to other non European looking foreigners.

Thanks, my wife is really looking forward to it.
Seems she's working again tomorrow morning too. She finds it hard to refuse. As a carer she has much more conscience about the job than the management (it seems)

In my previous life as a Railway Engineer I spend lots of great times in Italy. We had offices all over.
Funny thing though, I never actually got to Vatican City so I'm also very excited.

somebody
20th July 2013, 18:48
Thanks, my wife is really looking forward to it.
Seems she's working again tomorrow morning too. She finds it hard to refuse. As a carer she has much more conscience about the job than the management (it seems)

In my previous life as a Railway Engineer I spend lots of great times in Italy. We had offices all over.
Funny thing though, I never actually got to Vatican City so I'm also very excited.

It was quite a good day trip was far more impressed with the cathedral than I thought I would be but the climb to the top is if the weather warm quite challenging for some and to be honest so crowded up on the viewing Point it was not fun.

But saying that I will never forget the way the Nuns taught the ostentatious candians a lesson when they would not let them look at the very expensive silver and jewel encrusted crosses on the wall behind the counter but did my wife who was looking for the cheapest smallest crosses she could find to send home as much as possible for family and friends.

I love Italy and it's people warm and friendly but sad to notice the looks we got this time from some :-(

Dedworth
20th July 2013, 22:35
Went for the afternoon, I preferred Hounslow

bigmarco
20th July 2013, 23:18
We went today and there was a huge turnout. At £10 a car they took a fortune in parking. We passed Hampton Court on the way there and the queue for the Free bus was very long.
All in all I thought it was much the same as Morden but on a bigger scale although I have to say that the stage show was better . I enjoyed Kim Chiu as did the wife and the whole crowd.
Wife wanted to go tomorrow as she says there's some good artists but alas I'm underground for 8 hours.
Must confess I wouldn't fancy using public transport to get there and back as it would make it a long day.
Hope anyone going tomorrow has a good day.

somebody
21st July 2013, 00:08
I bet they did take some money as it is so remote and so many pinay I know of would not miss going for all the tea in China. So a captured market and all that. It looks like we are going tomorrow and will drive and get hit for a ten pound fee.
I guess the almost scam like trying to charge people walking into lampton park didn't work a few years as people realised it was a public space so the promoters will encourage users to pay out more or have a longer journey.

Would like to add not much harder for us and a tenner will not break the bank but thepinay population in my eexperience is not always a high car owning group or one flush with cash.

stevewool
21st July 2013, 09:27
well i dropped off ems and her friends at the bus for their long trip there, i hope the weather is good and they all have a great time,
Me i have a free day to myself doing everything but nothing, life is good

somebody
21st July 2013, 18:59
well i dropped off ems and her friends at the bus for their long trip there, i hope the weather is good and they all have a great time,
Me i have a free day to myself doing everything but nothing, life is good
I am sure they had a good time Steve :-D massive Venue and Weybridge/Elmbridge certainly knows it has moved there. Carpark was full by 4pm and the surrounding area for miles had cars all over the place parked where ever.
The usual stalls and most importantly the couple with their Ice cream cart from Ashford were there :-D

stevewool
21st July 2013, 19:58
Ems has just rang me and is just passing Northampton so be home within the hour as i write this, she sounds full of beans so no sleep for me tonight and i dont mean:Sex:

somebody
21st July 2013, 22:23
Ems has just rang me and is just passing Northampton so be home within the hour as i write this, she sounds full of beans so no sleep for me tonight and i dont mean:Sex:

Great to hear they had a good time :-D

SimonH
22nd July 2013, 08:31
I am sure they had a good time Steve :-D massive Venue and Weybridge/Elmbridge certainly knows it has moved there. Carpark was full by 4pm and the surrounding area for miles had cars all over the place parked where ever.
The usual stalls and most importantly the couple with their Ice cream cart from Ashford were there :-D

Left home at 2.30 yesterday to go, satnav said about 20mins of delays getting there and friends said the queue for the courtesy bus was horrendous, so we turned round and went to the pub :biggrin:

Terpe
22nd July 2013, 08:49

Everyone just passes Northampton :wink:

Best policy in my opinion :biggrin:

Dedworth
22nd July 2013, 13:59
What a shambles car park closed early on both days - I've heard whispers that the organisers didn't rent enough car parking space from the landowners as there were plenty of empty fields.

They've conveniently removed this statement from their website :-

While everyone has the option to travel by public transport, everyone is encouraged to travel by car or by coach since the new venue offers a HUGE parking facility with fees worth only £10 for one day, or £10 for the entire weekend! That means you can use the same parking ticket if you attend the Barrio Fiesta on both days.
:laugher:

We were told of the chaos whilst driving at about 1pm on Saturday parked up in a Molesey backstreet and walked to the shuttle bus which left after about 10 mins. After the long trek to the stage area and having heard the crap sound system, lack of any shade and the marathon distance back to the few portaloos I resolved not to go on the Sunday.

Dropped Mrs D off for a long shuttle bus wait at 12 noon Sunday. Collected her early evening from friends who live relatively close and heard horror stories of 30/40 minute toilet queues and the paltry amount of time the "celebrities" appeared for.

From what I was told good job the crowd were tolerant Filipinos, if predominantly Brit the whole place would be used as a toilet preceding the riot

Slip
22nd July 2013, 14:19
My Dad just phoned me and told me the Elmbridge 10K race was on Sunday as well. I normally run this but was working.... So with a 1000 odd runners trying to run along the pavement/road whilst cars are turning into the carpark and tooting at the marshals who dared to stop the traffic to let the runners past!

Luckily the local town hall ( I think it is) allow the runners to use their car park for free!

jake
22nd July 2013, 14:28
What a shambles car park closed early on both days - I've heard whispers that the organisers didn't rent enough car parking space from the landowners as there were plenty of empty fields.

They've conveniently removed this statement from their website :-

While everyone has the option to travel by public transport, everyone is encouraged to travel by car or by coach since the new venue offers a HUGE parking facility with fees worth only £10 for one day, or £10 for the entire weekend! That means you can use the same parking ticket if you attend the Barrio Fiesta on both days.
:laugher:

We were told of the chaos whilst driving at about 1pm on Saturday parked up in a Molesey backstreet and walked to the shuttle bus which left after about 10 mins. After the long trek to the stage area and having heard the crap sound system, lack of any shade and the marathon distance back to the few portaloos I resolved not to go on the Sunday.

Dropped Mrs D off for a long shuttle bus wait at 12 noon Sunday. Collected her early evening from friends who live relatively close and heard horror stories of 30/40 minute toilet queues and the paltry amount of time the "celebrities" appeared for.

From what I was told good job the crowd were tolerant Filipinos, if predominantly Brit the whole place would be used as a toilet preceding the riot

:icon_lol:

Did Mrs D enjoy herself?

Dedworth
22nd July 2013, 14:46
:icon_lol:

Did Mrs D enjoy herself?

Funnily enough she did but not as much as in previous years :smile:

Jenky
22nd July 2013, 17:04
What a joke!

Arrived by car 10am Sunday after a two hour drive and then directed by the gate staff past the entrance into a huge traffic jam. Lucky for me managed to squeeze back in and got parked up for 11am. After queing for 30 mins went to one of the few toilets and watched the Filipina in front of me open the door and nearly pass out before walking away. So sat and waited for two coaches of friends to arrive who set of at the same time as us at 8am for the 2 hour drive. Guess what they finally arrive at 3pm in the afternoon after spending over 3 hours covering the final few miles into the entrance. They had to leave at 5pm to have any chance of getting back before the coach drivers hours ran out so they missed the "show" They did not knlw how lucky they were!

The "show" started at 5pm and mainly due to the poor sound system was on the whole crap. Topped off by a brief appearance by Vice Ganda who unfortunately for him picked on the one Filipino in the audence who spoke no Tagalog thus forcing him to tell his smutty jokes in English so at least I could understand them! which may or may not have been a good thing.

So on the whole an experience not to be repeated. By the way charged 10 quid to park the car in the official car park(or prison) as it turned out to be. No mention of that in the promos. Guess next time most people will try and avoid them and park on any available space in the locality thus seriously pissing off the neighbours. Much better when it was in Lampeter

BazJaz
22nd July 2013, 22:19
Went on the Sunday, it was hot! plenty of real estate sellers on top form, no i didnt buy a Manila apartment! Things I noted - toilets needed servicing as by the end of the day the whole CR room thing was not comfort room at all ! Also if they put more bins near the food outlets perhaps there would not be so much mess on the floor. Spent £30 on food, water and ice cream, stood still for a few hours watching the show, so now my right side is darker than my filipino fiancee skin but my left side is still plane white UK LOL, Also picked up a TFC IPTV box no charge for the box just 12 months subscription, works ok here now. Car arrival and exit was mad - no right turn into venue or exit from venue so cars doing U turn just after exit to go other way, exit also used by shuttle bus. was expecting a 3 hour exit delay as experienced once at the F1 but lucky only 15 minutes, problem with the sound system as commented here was that it was not big enough, I've worked on these before and the wind is a big problem blowing the sound all over the place, basically u need big and lots of it, hope next year they can use some of the profit from the "multi pack, not to be sold separately" £1 (26p buy price) coke tins, but Had a good day all in all, will probably be back next year - Baz and Jaz