PDA

View Full Version : Processed meat 'early death' link

Terpe
9th March 2013, 22:23
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66248000/jpg/_66248103_bacon-spl.jpg

Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young, a study of half a million people across Europe suggests.

It concluded diets high in processed meats were linked to cardiovascular disease, cancer and early deaths.

The researchers, writing in the journal BMC Medicine, said salt and chemicals used to preserve the meat may damage health.

The British Heart Foundation suggested opting for leaner cuts of meat.

The study followed people from 10 European countries for nearly 13 years on average.

Lifestyle factors

It showed people who ate a lot of processed meat were also more likely to smoke, be obese and have other behaviours known to damage health.

However, the researchers said even after those risk factors were accounted for, processed meat still damaged health.

One in every 17 people followed in the study died. However, those eating more than 160g of processed meat a day - roughly two sausages and a slice of bacon - were 44% more likely to die over a typical follow-up time of 12.7 years than those eating about 20g.

In total, nearly 10,000 people died from cancer and 5,500 from heart problems.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/66255000/jpg/_66255051_processed_meat_624.jpg

Prof Sabine Rohrmann, from the University of Zurich, told the BBC: "High meat consumption, especially processed meat, is associated with a less healthy lifestyle.

"But after adjusting for smoking, obesity and other confounders we think there is a risk of eating processed meat.

"Stopping smoking is more important than cutting meat, but I would recommend people reduce their meat intake."

Health benefits

She said if everyone in the study consumed no more than 20g of processed meat a day then 3% of the premature deaths could have been prevented.

The UK government recommends eating no more than 70g of red or processed meat - two slices of bacon - a day.

A spokesperson said: "People who eat a lot of red and processed meat should consider cutting down."

However a little bit of meat, even processed meat, had health benefits in the study.

Ursula Arens from the British Dietetic Association told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that putting fresh meat through a mincer did not make it processed meat.

"Something has been done to it to extend its shelf life, or to change its taste, or to make it more palatable in some way... and this could be a traditional process like curing or salting."

She said even good quality ham or sausages were still classed as processed meat, while homemade burgers using fresh meat were not.

"For most people there's no need to cut back on fresh, red meat. For people who have very high intake of red meat - eat lots of red meat every day - there is the recommendation that they should moderate their intake," she added.

Ms Arens also confirmed that the study's finding that processed meat was linked to heart disease was new.

Mr Roger Leicester, a consultant surgeon and a member of the Meat Advisory Panel, said: "I would agree people should eat small quantities of processed meat."

However, he said there needed to be a focus on how meat was processed: "We need to know what the preservatives are, what the salt content is, what the meat content is...meat is actually an essential part of our diet."

Growing evidence

Dr Rachel Thompson, from the World Cancer Research Fund, said: "This research adds to the body of scientific evidence highlighting the health risks of eating processed meat.

"Our research, published in 2007 and subsequently confirmed in 2011, shows strong evidence that eating processed meat, such as bacon, ham, hot dogs, salami and some sausages, increases the risk of getting bowel cancer."

The organisation said there would be 4,000 fewer cases of bowel cancer if people had less than 10g a day.

"This is why World Cancer Research Fund recommends people avoid processed meat," said Dr Thompson.

Tracy Parker, a heart health dietitian with the British Heart Foundation, said the research suggested processed meat might be linked to an increased risk of early death, but those who ate more of it in the study also made "other unhealthy lifestyle choices".

"They were found to eat less fruit and vegetables and were more likely to smoke, which may have had an impact on results.

"Red meat can still be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet.

"Opting for leaner cuts and using healthier cooking methods such as grilling will help to keep your heart healthy.

"If you eat lots of processed meat, try to vary your diet with other protein choices such as chicken, fish, beans or lentils."

Source:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21682779

mickcant
10th March 2013, 11:15
I thought bacon was just sliced and cured?
I do prefere the smoked though.
Mick.:Erm:

Doc Alan
10th March 2013, 11:21
• I can imagine the reaction of members, the general public, hard working butchers and others in the meat trade, to scaremongering in the media about the perils of meat – as I said in a similar thread a year ago. That was in response to a study claiming the dangers of excessive amounts of red meat AND processed meat.

* In the UK, 2/5 of us can expect to get cancer at some stage - effective treatment ensuring that only half of these will cause death. 2/5 of the total are due to lifestyle factors such as smoking, diet, obesity, alcohol and occupation. At least half can’t realistically be avoided – age, hormones, geographical / environmental factors, and an element of luck ( where the cause is unknown ). Around 1/10 cancers may be linked to diet.

* As for cardiovascular disease, fewer of us are getting heart attacks, and more of those that do survive because of improving treatment. In the next few years, deaths from cancers will exceed those from cardiovascular disease. As with cancers, there are several main risk factors apart from diet ( age, sex, high blood pressure, alcohol, exercise, and stress ).

• I have read the original article ( always a good idea for informed opinion ):- “ Meat consumption and mortality - results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition “ (

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/63 ).

• Their conclusions ? “ The results … suggest that men and women with a high consumption of processed meat are at increased risk of early death, in particular due to cardiovascular diseases but also cancer. In this population “ ( * note wording ) “, reduction of processed meat consumption to less than 20g /day would prevent more than 3% of all deaths. Health promotion activities should include specific advice on lowering processed meat “.

• I suspect that – as a year ago – this type of “ news “ will either annoy the general public and/or they will choose to ignore it, on the basis that “ You’ve got to die of something, I like red meat, bacon sandwiches, and sausages and I’ll decide what I want to eat “. That seems to be the immediate reaction – judging by the comments at the end of the BBC article ( and no change whatsoever in customers’ choices at the butchers).

• Those who delve a little deeper and bother to read the evidence may well reach the same conclusion. Some might make an effort to improve their diet, which is after all only one factor in life expectancy. It may not influence the significant number of malnourished individuals in the world, including the Philippines.

Terpe
10th March 2013, 12:07
Nothing new brought to the 'table' in the report. (pun intended)

However, the previous thinking has been strengthened by the size of the 'study'

Sausages, ham, bacon and other processed meats appear to increase the risk of dying young, a study of half a million people across Europe suggests.

With so many similar 'warning' studies and reports being issued there's a strong probability that many people will become
less inclined to take much notice.

Iani
10th March 2013, 19:29
There's an old saying that you can prove anything with stats.

Let's look at some of the more obvious examples....

It has been said that drinking moderately coffee must be healthy, because drinkers of fresh coffee have less stress.
Think about it logically though, coffee can't be entirely "healthy" because it contains strong amounts of stimulant.
HOWEVER, it COULD be suggested that the whole survey was skewed, because there is the cultural taking of fresh coffee. Could it be that the sort of people drinking it, were more likely to be drinking it with a fresh roll, sat in the open air, and be from a sector of society which knew to eat well, took exercise and had a pleasant approach to life - and the fresh coffee was just one thing taken as their morning routine?

If so, then it's wrong to suggest fresh coffee was healthy, it's more that people with a healthy lifestyle were more likely to drink it.

Exactly the same theory could be applied to those saying red wine was good for you in moderation. Binge drinkers tend not to drink a nice Merlot, they drink cans of stella.

Thing to remember 2 - drinking as a hobby is a self abuse thing. Nearly all "serious drinkers" are also smokers - little wonder so many pubs have closed since the smoking ban. Alcohol isn't healthy, but a similar report could come back and say alcohol is more unhealthy than it is, because those who drink most also smoke - and smoking is possibly one of the more unhealthy activities you can do. Might not kill you - or it might - but it's certainly not going to help.

Now I have no idea, but I would make a good guess, that people who might eat a lot of bacon and sausages, and other highly processed and cheaper meats, then they are not really likely to be fitness freaks or well off people who know to eat fresh veg. I would guess those most likely to eat fry-ups to excess are also not going to be people who care much for their health anyway. It therefore COULD be difficult to take the report on the health detriment of processed meat as definite.

To make a rather silly example of how it could be taken, I could declare that wearing M & S clothes is healthy as people who do are more likely to enjoy good health and education.
Or it could be recognised that those people who shop there are more likely to be middle class, well off and low risk takers.

Just a thought really.

andy222
10th March 2013, 19:38
You have a choice. Do what you want or live to a ripe old age and end up in cuckoo land with dementia. Sorry if this offends anyone but its just the way I see it.

Terpe
10th March 2013, 22:22
You have a choice. Do what you want or live to a ripe old age and end up in cuckoo land with dementia. Sorry if this offends anyone but its just the way I see it.

Andy, that's exactly how I see it.
My wife works in residential care home.
Almost all are dementia.
It's a strange and difficult end to all our lives, but we can never know what really will happen.

It's seems to be true that dementia could be a time bomb waiting to happen.
Three score years and ten 70 years old, is still OK for most folks. Some even still young. ( I hope)
Once reaching 75-80 the story turns different.
If I can be OK then great but who knows.
That's not a life I want. Probability appears to be against me though.
Worrying :icon_rolleyes:

grahamw48
11th March 2013, 14:03
When my life ends 'early', I'll be the only (ex) person to be unaware of it. :smile:

Enjoying each day while I'm here, rather than becoming paranoid about every doom and gloom report seems more important right now.

All things in moderation is my motto. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
11th March 2013, 14:45
All things in moderation is my motto. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Completely agree Graham :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Since the topic was raised in the Health Issues section I did review the evidence and see no reason to change that advice.

Every single day there is more scaremongering - the latest being a scenario of antibiotic resistance having effects worse than a terrorist attack.

On this forum I do try to be selective in my choice of topics - not all to do with health - and always try to put them into perspective by comparisons with the Philippines.

I will continue to eat processed meat, chocolates, and biscuits ; and also drink alcohol - not all at the same time, and also in moderation. Fortunately I don't smoke and enjoy exercise. But there are factors beyond our control - genes ( we can't choose our parents, and average life expectancy for males is less than females ), and an element of luck ( some get cancer with no apparent cause, others smoke and don't get cancer ).

Finally, at the risk of repetition, I always try to be non-judgemental, giving the evidence without ever trying to tell members what to do. You all have lifestyle choices even if they can't all be realised :smile: !

grahamw48
11th March 2013, 14:52
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
11th March 2013, 15:53
I will continue to eat processed meat, chocolates, and biscuits ; and also drink alcohol - not all at the same time, and also in moderation. Fortunately I don't smoke and enjoy exercise. But there are factors beyond our control - genes ( we can't choose our parents, and average life expectancy for males is less than females ), and an element of luck ( some get cancer with no apparent cause, others smoke and don't get cancer ).

I love bacons and also i smoke... cant go wrong if everything is done in moderation :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
11th March 2013, 16:58
Andy, that's exactly how I see it.
My wife works in residential care home.
Almost all are dementia.
It's a strange and difficult end to all our lives, but we can never know what really will happen.

It's seems to be true that dementia could be a time bomb waiting to happen.
Three score years and ten 70 years old, is still OK for most folks. Some even still young. ( I hope)
Once reaching 75-80 the story turns different.
If I can be OK then great but who knows.
That's not a life I want. Probability appears to be against me though.
Worrying :icon_rolleyes:
:xxgrinning--00xx3: I think when you have worked with these people Terpe like your wife does it really brings it home. I just dont understand it. These people give you advice how to live longer then moan about the cost of caring for you when you do.:doh

Arthur Little
11th March 2013, 19:27
I love bacons and also i smoke ...

... smokey bacon is your choice then, I guess, :biggrin: Mari.

Moy
12th March 2013, 13:21
since i came here in the UK i am so cautious with everything:yikes: food, water we drink:cwm25: people.. :Brick::biggrin: i duuno its like u cant trust anyone lols no offence meant:wink: i dont smoke..i drink once a week now :biggrin: only a wine or cider haha.., ilove my veg, fruits and trying to balance what i offer to cook with my family but at times so hard to let the kids eat specially veg..which arent uncommon anyway..
bottom line i lost my innocence thinking..back in the Philippines i didnt feel threaten nor cautious of every food and things around me..here everyday it worries me lols:grosyeux::yawn::doh:wink: and i ask myself whyyyyyyyyy lols, and of course i still believe that being balance and in moderation does help..:)

andy222
12th March 2013, 13:34
bottom line i lost my innocence thinking..back in the Philippines i didnt feel threaten nor cautious of every food and things around me..here everyday it worries me
Welcome to the UK moy and i totally understand what you are saying. I never feel threatened over there and the food is fresh and yummy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
12th March 2013, 13:39
Welcome to the UK moy and i totally understand what you are saying. I never feel threatened over there and the food is fresh and yummy.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

thanks andy lols..i am mooning everyday haha:NoNo::biggrin: and did you know to ease my worry instead of watching news that tell yous no good news anway i watch my fav disney cartoon movies..cinderella or beauty and the beast etc..haha that way i am able not to feel bad stuff that goin on..lols

andy222
12th March 2013, 13:52
I know what you mean moy. The news is depressing. Rich getting richer and poorer getting poorer.:doh. No rises for us poor carers.:icon_rolleyes:

les_taxi
12th March 2013, 19:08
I eat and drink what I want when I want,not bothered really as the prospect of being a ripe old age wearing a nappy has little appeal.
If it means living life a little reckless then so be it,at least I'm having fun.
Always said when I'm old bring on more of the sex,drugs and rock and roll-I wont have a clue in the end anyway:icon_lol:

Moy
12th March 2013, 19:16
well thats life about is it lols..live it and be happy..in your own way...:laugher::biggrin::action-smiley-081::icon_sorry::Cuckoo::Cuckoo:

grahamw48
12th March 2013, 19:34
:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

mickcant
13th March 2013, 08:01
I do try to eat healthily my Dr helps as much as she can, but as I said to her at nearly 69 and living alone eating is the only bodily function I can enjoy, she acknowledged that.

My late father was 91 when he died in 1996, he was raised in harder times, and ate things like offal and cheap cuts of meat that would make me feel sick at the thought of, he liked dripping on bread, (as I did when young).

He was a lifelong smoker, I never have.
Mick.:smile:

andy222
13th March 2013, 10:01
I do try to eat healthily my Dr helps as much as she can, but as I said to her at nearly 69 and living alone eating is the only bodily function I can enjoy, she acknowledged that.

Mick.:smile:
You mean she didnt offer to come round to your place and help you with your other bodily functions Mick? Disgrace.:biggrin:

mickcant
13th March 2013, 10:11
You mean she didnt offer to come round to your place and help you with your other bodily functions Mick? Disgrace.:biggrin:
I think I've forgot what they were anyway :doh
Mick.:cwm25:

Michael Parnham
13th March 2013, 12:08
I really think that moderate exercise daily should burn off enough calories to keep one healthy, I walk an average of 5 miles per day plus other things i do above that. :do_it:

sars_notd_virus
13th March 2013, 19:12
... smokey bacon is your choice then, I guess, :biggrin: Mari.

yes, thats correct Arthur :xxgrinning--00xx3:
..I had a lovely bacon roll this morning :hubbahubba:

KeithD
13th March 2013, 22:22
It does kill, someone bought some bacon from Tesco and on the way home was hit and killed by a bus :icon_rolleyes: