PDA

View Full Version : I'm Working Soon!

vernier caliper
27th February 2013, 22:16
I recently applied for a role at railway and got the job! The interview was conducted on 15 February and I got the offer on 19 February. I signed and sent back the contract on 25 February.

CV
Believe it or not, mine is 1 page only. Important details I have considered are: personal profile/statement, address, mobile, chartered membership, professional honour, degree license, training attended and conducted, skills/competency, and achievements on the previous roles. Ensure to provide accurate information. Neither exaggerate nor lie on your resume. Degree, license, employment and chartered membership will be verified by a Third Party on the BackCheck process. P.S. long, complicated, or multiple pages CV is a big no no.

Recruiters
Searching jobs online (i.e. indeed, reed, jobs, cvlibrary, etc) is a bit of a gamble. The application you will submit will be directed/forwarded to the recruiters. In my experience recruiters are not the right persons to be contacted. Their knowledge about the job advertised is limited to the job description provided by the recruiting company. They will not dig further to understand the connection or how relevant your experience is to the vacancy.

Direct Hiring
Understand your market. Search on industries doing the same stuff as yours. I have looked on the UK construction firms and searched for vacancy directly on their website. I have applied on the top 2 companies and I was invited for interview on both. Result of the other interview will be advised next week.

Interview Preparation
Study the job description advertised/given by the recruiting company. Do some research about the company background and the project. Learn the techniques of managing situational interview (samples are available online). If pre-interview task is given, make it comprehensive! I did practice interview with my husband Trefor and that exercise boost my confidence.

On the Day of Interview
Dress properly and be on time. I arrived 30 minutes early and managed to relax. When I entered the conference room Im expecting to meet the HR and Quality Managers. I was surprised to see 4 men so as one of my rules: always expect the unexpected. I was interviewed by the HR, Quality, Safety and Environmental Managers. I was nervous on the first question but I felt relax as I go through. Questions raised were:
1. Discuss the company background and project details
2. Quality Management System - guidelines and requirements
3. Management meeting rules and actions
4. Corporate Governance
5. Professional membership, degree, achievements on previous roles
6. Dealing conflicts at work
7. Expected salary (again do a research. Know your market job band so you'll have idea about the salary range).

Referees
Stay in contact with your previous managers. You need at least 3 referees. Save their contact details (email and telephone very important) and give a word about your application.

I'll be working as Quality Engineer/Auditor and will join the company after my Philippine holiday in April. The construction starts in 2017 but there are lots of work to do right away, so it's a long term role/project scheduled to complete by 2033! Happy days:smile:

stevie c
27th February 2013, 22:28
Very informative post many thanks for posting & of course a very big well done :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vernier caliper
27th February 2013, 22:33
Thanks Steve. I feel excited to work again though I'll miss waking up as late as 12 noon:icon_lol:.

stevie c
27th February 2013, 22:35
Lol tell me about it i havnt woke at noon since i was in my teens :NoNo:

vernier caliper
27th February 2013, 23:31
I just love my bed, very comfy! And to have a gorgeous, loving, hot husband is a big bonus:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
27th February 2013, 23:47
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
well done :icon_sorry:

looks like you've got a job til at least 2033 :biggrin:

imagine
27th February 2013, 23:55
congratulations:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 00:04
looks like you've got a job til at least 2033 :biggrin:

Thanks Joe.

If the project will go on schedule, 2033 is the minimum but delays are inevitable. Who knows I may be there until retirement:icon_lol:

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 00:04
congratulations:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks

raynaputi
28th February 2013, 00:20
Congrats Vernier! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I hope I would be able to get a job same as my previous work as well. The problem is, the area where I live in doesn't seem to have companies that need my skills! I had a couple of calls before asking me for an interview for the same work that I used to have in the Philippines, but the location is just too far! One was at Birminghan, one was even at Brussels! The one I found online was in South Wales! :doh

Arthur Little
28th February 2013, 00:41
I recently applied for a role at railway and got the job! The interview was conducted on 15 February and I got the offer on 19 February. I signed and sent back the contract on 25 February.

Rose ... you're certainly "on the right track", an inspiration to us all and we greatly appreciate the tremendous amount of effort you put into helping others here. :thankyou:

Also ... my heartiest Congratulations. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Trefor must be a very proud man, indeed! :smile:

Arthur Little
28th February 2013, 00:57
If the project will go on schedule, 2033 is the minimum

:olddude: ... I'll be almost 90 by then! :yeahthat:'s a sobering thought!

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 01:00

I hope I would be able to get a job same as my previous work as well. The problem is, the area where I live in doesn't seem to have companies that need my skills! I had a couple of calls before asking me for an interview for the same work that I used to have in the Philippines, but the location is just too far! One was at Birminghan, one was even at Brussels! The one I found online was in South Wales! :doh

Thanks Rayna.

Finding the right job on the right location is one of the biggest considerations. Sometimes the best opportunity is atleast 200 miles away from you - disappointing and stressful. Most jobs on my line is available in Aberdeen:cwm25:.

We are renting at the moment and the contract will expire in May this year. We will then buy a place somewhere close to my work place. Anyway, 45 minutes train ride from our current place is not bad at all.

I attended 2 interviews and if I will be selected on the second job (transmission line) then I'll be working in Birmingham and Wales:biggrin:. We might then crossed path.

Good luck on you search. God bless.

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 01:22
Rose ... you're certainly "on the right track", an inspiration to us all and we greatly appreciate the tremendous amount of effort you put into helping others here. :thankyou:

Also ... my heartiest Congratulations. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Trefor must be a very proud man, indeed! :smile:

BIG thanks Arthur. Its always good to share the blessings and helping others (just by giving tips/advice) means a lot to me.

Trefor is a very supportive husband and he is happy indeed when I got the job. I can now afford to offer him another honeymoon :biggrin:.

gladz
28th February 2013, 03:52
Congratulations! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
28th February 2013, 08:30
Congratulations :xxgrinning--00xx3:

RickyR
28th February 2013, 08:57
Congratulations, great advice. I'll be 49 by the time HS2 is finished, whilst I'm not totally in support of the project I think its a great one to be involved in.

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 09:19
Congratulations!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Glads:smile:

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 09:22
Congratulations:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Michael.

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 09:31
Congratulations, great advice. I'll be 49 by the time HS2 is finished, whilst I'm not totally in support of the project I think its a great one to be involved in.

Thanks Ricky. HS2 would be constructed for the benefit of all beings, inshallah.

Trefor
28th February 2013, 11:25

I have some issues with the plans - especially the fact that there are no stations between London and Birmingham. I mean, who wants to go to the centre of Birmingham (of course the government theory is that this opens up that location to business). I think the project is great though, and something we should be doing - investing in infrastructure. Plus, I see this as the government giving me some of my tax back in the form of Rose's salary :biggrin:

Trefor
28th February 2013, 11:26
BIG thanks Arthur. Its always good to share the blessings and helping others (just by giving tips/advice) means a lot to me.

Trefor is a very supportive husband and he is happy indeed when I got the job. I can now afford to offer him another honeymoon:biggrin:.

Awwwww. Hawaii and Atuttaki please :Jump:

Trefor
28th February 2013, 11:31

Unfortunately Welsh Wales is not exactly a hotbed of opportunity. South Wales might be better. I guess your husband is tied to the area for work/family?

I wish we could live somewhere more remote but I'm using Heathrow several times a week, and even Birmingham/Manchester airports would mean less direct flights for me (Arthur, I used to live in Edinburgh too but travel was a real PITA so moved to London - pity, Scotland is lovely when it isn't raining).

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 12:00
Awwwww. Hawaii and Atuttaki please :Jump:

Crikey! I never thought about those places, just thinking B&B in the next town:biggrin:.

Anyway, you mean everything to me so your wish is my command:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
28th February 2013, 12:00
Unfortunately Welsh Wales is not exactly a hotbed of opportunity.

you right there, but that's what happens when your a scouser exiled to Wales :xxaction-smiley-047

:xxparty-smiley-004:

han
28th February 2013, 12:26
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
COngrats.. vernier!!
Good on you, you found one already., :smile:

And I am still on job hunting and at the same time driving lesson... (phew.. expenses)
I reckon I need to be able to drive soon before I can land a job as I live in a country side... Jobs that are related to my previous work are all in the city.

How are you gettin' on with your driving vernier??
thanks
han

Arthur Little
28th February 2013, 12:39
I wish we could live somewhere more remote but I'm using Heathrow several times a week, and even Birmingham/Manchester airports would mean less direct flights for me (Arthur, I used to live in Edinburgh too but travel was a real PITA so moved to London - pity, Scotland is lovely when it isn't raining).

:cwm24: ... Wow ... you're a real globetrotter, Trefor! I have a nephew who's "on the go" all the time too, in his capacity as Far Eastern Manager for an American-based computer firm. Likewise, a friend of mine [now retired] did a lot of jetting back and forth :Bolt: to the United States & Canada whereas, me ... well ... :anerikke: ... I'm also a "man of leisure" myself now, but my work - for the most part - tended to be based in and around the appropriately-named, historic *'Fair City' (:icon_rolleyes: - *except when it's :raining:!) of Perth.

Trefor
28th February 2013, 13:17
Well all the travel paid off - I met Rose in Dubai while I was staying at my place in Muscat. I travel a bit less now I'm in a European role (which is handy being newly married :do_it: ), but I used to spend half my life in the San Francisco area and visited Japan a lot. 2hr flights around Europe seem easy now :xxaction-smiley-047

Trefor
28th February 2013, 13:22
:xxgrinning--00xx3:
COngrats.. vernier!!
Good on you, you found one already., :smile:

And I am still on job hunting and at the same time driving lesson... (phew.. expenses)
I reckon I need to be able to drive soon before I can land a job as I live in a country side... Jobs that are related to my previous work are all in the city.

How are you gettin' on with your driving vernier??
thanks
han

Her driving is great, trouble is she finds faults with my driving all the time now :xxaction-smiley-047. Her driving test is next week ... should go OK as long as she LISTENS TO THE INSTRUCTORS DIRECTIONS :biggrin:

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 14:40
I am still on job hunting and at the same time driving lesson... (phew.. expenses)

How are you gettin' on with your driving

Hi Han.

As described above by my husband, my driving is fine:Jump:. I'm now watching show me - tell me videos as preparation for my test next week. Also, I'm planning to do more manoeuvre this weekend. Really nervous!

In regards to expenses:doh, apart from driving lesson and test fees, I have booked my Life in the UK test on 21 March. The handbook is £10.75 from Amazon including delivery charge and the exam fee is £50. Taking this test immediately or before 25 March is a late decision actually. Anyway, I am now reading Chapter 2 unfortunately, 7 more chapters to go:Brick:.

Good luck on your job hunting and driving. Ciao.

Terpe
28th February 2013, 15:18
Congratulations and well done :Jump:

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 15:21
Congratulations and well done :Jump:

Thanks Terpe:smile:

han
28th February 2013, 19:00
Trefor and Vernier ...
:wink: thank you for your replies.. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:
cheers

Stevenjbuk
28th February 2013, 21:52
Hello Vernier Caliper. Thanks for the message. I could not see how to reply.
I would like to see how things work out with myself and the girl I am getting to know, first. So far, so good.
But thank you for thinking about me. I really appreciate it.

Stevenjbuk
28th February 2013, 21:57
Oh...and congratulations on the job. :REDancedancer08:

vernier caliper
28th February 2013, 22:05
Hello Vernier Caliper. Thanks for the message. I could not see how to reply
Thanks Steve.

I found the reply section complicated too:icon_lol: so no worries. Anyway, hope everything will work well with you and yours. Again, drop a note incase you need to be rescued:wink:. Cheers.

jlags90
28th February 2013, 23:59
Well done to you:biggrin:. Very informative thread as I am currently building my CV:biggrin:. I wish I could find a job soon as well while finishing a level for my qualification:icon_rolleyes:. My husband often tells me of being turned down loads of times before getting one (very inspiring):cwm23: but I think it is part of the job hunting game...:bigcry: Speaking of your chartered status, is it related to accountancy?

vernier caliper
1st March 2013, 12:09
Well done to you. Speaking of your chartered status, is it related to accountancy?

Thanks Jlags and congratulations on your visa.

I'm a license Civil Engineer in the Philippines but my global qualifications are directly related to my experience in the Quality and Safety field of manufacturing, engineering and building construction.

Currently I'm using the honour of PCQI or Practitioner of the Chartered Quality Institute (http://www.thecqi.org/), I am also a CQE or Certified Quality Engineer by the American Society for Quality (http://prdweb.asq.org/certification/control/index), and I am a QMS 9001 Lead Auditor by the International Register of Certified Auditor (http://www.irca.org/). The NEBOSH National General Certificate is the most widely held health and safety qualification in the UK and I passed this course with distinction in 2009 (http://www.nebosh.org.uk/Qualifications/).

Good luck on your study. Continual professional development is always good though expensive, time consuming and nerve wracking:biggrin:.

Please let me know if you need help building your CV. Cheers

melovesengland
1st March 2013, 13:36

I'm a license Civil Engineer in the Philippines but my global qualifications are directly related to my experience in the Quality and Safety field of manufacturing, engineering and building construction.

Currently I'm using the honour of PCQI or Practitioner of the Chartered Quality Institute (http://www.thecqi.org/), I am also a CQE or Certified Quality Engineer by the American Society for Quality (http://prdweb.asq.org/certification/control/index), and I am a QMS 9001 Lead Auditor by the International Register of Certified Auditor (http://www.irca.org/). The NEBOSH National General Certificate is the most widely held health and safety qualification in the UK and I passed this course with distinction in 2009 (http://www.nebosh.org.uk/Qualifications/).

Good luck on your study. Continual professional development is always good though expensive, time consuming and nerve wracking:biggrin:.

Wow! Vernier, I am just so speechless! You nailed it love! Congratulations to your new job and keep inspiring everybody with your experiences! Well done you! :Wave:

jlags90
1st March 2013, 13:37

Thanks a lot for your informative reply. I see, I have no connection to engineering career:biggrin:. I see you have a handful of Internationally Recognised Qualifications:doh. I am still starting my first level in AAT, so it will be a long way to go to get the elusive chartered status. I've planned to work at the same time so no wallet will be drained.

Yeah, you're right. One page CV is sought after these days. I'll give you a shout when I am in trouble. Thanks in advane.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vernier caliper
1st March 2013, 14:23
Wow! Vernier, I am just so speechless! You nailed it love! Congratulations to your new job and keep inspiring everybody with your experiences! Well done you! :Wave:

Thanks Novie.

I'm still waiting for the next girls meet-up. Any plan so far? I'm excited because I'm now cooking and I love to share my Batangas adobo and kaldereta. Yum yum yum!

vernier caliper
1st March 2013, 14:45
I am still starting my first level in AAT, so it will be a long way to go to get the elusive chartered status.

No guts no glory! Keeping yourself on the right track is the way to success. Women today are independent and competent work wise therefore, go go go Jlags.

sars_notd_virus
1st March 2013, 16:01
woow congrats vernier ,good job good job!!
some good pointers in there ..direct hiring, interview preparations etc.
and woow what a long project 2033?? , i hope you dont get bored by then lol...
i have been working for nearly three years now since i got here in england and i admit my job takes it toll on me now:biggrin:...so i am peeping into company career centers again looking for different jobs and recently did a final interview ,which in the end i turned down because of the location (40minutes drive ) wheew ,too much considering i got a daughter and a husband to look after as well :doh, my effort and energy will be wasted in replace of the salary i will be getting..oh well anyway, thats my rant for today back to the same job tomorrow.cheers!!

Trefor
1st March 2013, 16:48

and I can't even make a good cuppa :xxparty-smiley-004:

vernier caliper
1st March 2013, 18:12
what a long project 2033?? i hope you dont get bored by then lol..

Thanks Sars.

I find working in the construction site exciting and challenging especially being a rose among the thorns:smile:. Everyday is a learning experience and a new story, bonus is the complex and multi-culture environment.

Hope you'll find the right job soon. Cheers.

P.S. Dont forget to relax and unwind.

vernier caliper
1st March 2013, 18:19
and I can't even make a good cuppa

Neither coffee nor tea I'm drinking so please accept my deepest apology :biggrin:

skysisi
1st March 2013, 20:34
congratulations vernier , well done :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vernier caliper
1st March 2013, 22:06
congratulations vernier , well done :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Skysisi

South-east boy
5th March 2013, 01:51
Well done! You must have been so happy! :biggrin:

I know what you mean about the job websites. I've been looking for over 3 months now since I was made redundant! Trouble is that those are the only places I seem to see jobs advertised. Some of the recruitment agencies are not so great as you send them your details/CV, then later on ring them to say you sent it a few days back and have they any current vacancies, and they can't find anything to do with you even though I got an emailed reply to say that they had received it! Also even though I must be registered with around 15 agencies, not one of them has ever got me even just 1 interview! I sometimes wonder what they actually do?! I've applied for quite a few jobs, but most have been through agencies and I never even get any response, let alone an interview!

vernier caliper
5th March 2013, 02:31
Thanks South-East Boy. I'm very happy indeed. This was my first ever interview in the UK and I got the job.

Considering the current market, I think recruiters are less appealing now. I understood from the HR Manager of my company that they are no longer using agencies. The company is saving 20% ~ 40% of the annual gross income for each employee if hiring is done internally or directly.

Anyway, good luck on your job hunting. Stay focus and optimistic. Be patient, the right job will come at the right time. Again, applying directly is better than agency:xxgrinning--00xx3:. Cheers.

joebloggs
5th March 2013, 11:52
many employers will not use agencies :NoNo:

South-east boy
5th March 2013, 14:33
many employers will not use agencies :NoNo:

I remember around 20 years ago, again after I had been made redundant, I was doing temp work in various warehouses for agencies. I got paid £3 an hour and found out that the companies whose warehouses I was working were paying the temp agencies £9 an hour! I was doing the work and all they did was one phone to earn double what I got per hour. Was not happy! :cwm23:

Doc Alan
5th March 2013, 18:46
An interesting and informative thread :smile: Congratulations !

I guess you use a vernier caliper in your work

( http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/vernier3.htm ) !

Good luck with the driving and " Life in the UK " :xxgrinning--00xx3:

vernier caliper
5th March 2013, 21:00
Congratulations !

I guess you use a vernier caliper in your work

Thanks Doc Allan.

You are right, vernier caliper was the first measuring instrument I used to do quality inspection. So if someone here in the forum calls me vernier, I then wear a big smile in my face:smile:.

Michael Parnham
5th March 2013, 21:29
Wow thought Vernier Calliper was a posh mans foreign name! never gave it a thought it was a ladys name, now I discover it's something completely different!:Erm:

vernier caliper
5th March 2013, 22:41
Wow thought Vernier Calliper was a posh mans foreign name!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Hi Michael. Hope what you've learned about vernier caliper is beneficial:smile:

melovesengland
6th March 2013, 19:03
Thanks Novie.

I'm still waiting for the next girls meet-up. Any plan so far? I'm excited because I'm now cooking and I love to share my Batangas adobo and kaldereta. Yum yum yum!

We havent got any plans yet as the weather isnt that lovely at the moment but surely will inform you. :xxgrinning--00xx3: We would love to pay a visit in Oxford for you in future if thats alright and maybe we can have a little dine in to try your specialty. That would be good!

vernier caliper
6th March 2013, 19:43
We would love to pay a visit in Oxford for you in future if thats alright and maybe we can have a little dine in to try your specialty. That would be good!
How about this Easter or before? Trefor and I will be in the Philippines on 2 April and I will start working on 15 April.

melovesengland
6th March 2013, 19:49
How about this Easter or before? Trefor and I will be in the Philippines on 2 April and I will start working on 15 April.

Were fully booked this month and we going London on Easter so I aint sure about that. Sometime in the summer would be good, we might pop up one weekend or when your off work.

MissAna
6th March 2013, 20:06
congrats!! :Hellooo: thanks for the infos also

vernier caliper
6th March 2013, 20:08
We might pop up one weekend or when your off work.

Oki doki. See you. Cheers

vernier caliper
7th March 2013, 09:11
congrats
Thanks Ana. Good luck on your job hunting.