PDA

View Full Version : Philippines Insight Guide

Doc Alan
27th February 2013, 11:11
Of course the best insight to the Philippines is provided on this forum, and by visiting or living in the country !
I do still like travel guides, and the 12th edition of the Philippines Insight Guide has just been published (

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Insight-Guides-Philippines-Ralph-Jennings/dp/1780051220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361957478&sr=8-1 ).

Like so many travel guides the recommended retail price is £16.99 but it’s available from Amazon at £10.87. The first edition was published in 1980, the last before this in 2009, and the latest is a complete overhaul with new photos throughout.

No travel guide is perfect, and they start to be out of date before they’re published, but this most recent book seems accurate and worth buying at less than £11.

I have “ The Rough Guide to the Philippines “ ( also priced at £16.99 ), about £9 from Amazon when it was published in October 2011. Amazon have offered to buy it back for £1.27 … no thanks !

BoholoX
27th February 2013, 12:12
I love reading guides but as you say they can get out of date pretty quickly and should be taken as errrr, a guide only. Useful for getting the lie of the land in advance though. I saw way too many tourists carrying 'the bible' saying "but it says here a tricycle is P4, why do you ask P20!!!!"

admit I lost a little faith when a customer came in the diveshop asking for detailed info on the various dive sites and when I asked for his certification he said 'oh, I dont dive I'm just updating the xxxxxx guide book.'

I have two versions of the Rough Guide and two versions of the Lonely Planet but am jealous of my friend who has the First Edition of the Lonely Planet which is so thin with no pictures just drawings and I think only covers North Luzon and Cebu!

Ako Si Jamie
12th May 2013, 00:33
It's now in the library I go too. Good book but as yet nobody has taken it home with them.

stevewool
12th May 2013, 07:35
i find it gives me ideas on where i would like to visit before i go to the phils, plus reading it on the plane does make the time go by very very quick