PDA

View Full Version : Communication by foreign doctors in the UK

Doc Alan
24th February 2013, 14:36
Good communication skills are desirable in any walk of life, and patients are right to expect that those treating them can communicate properly.

Already the General Medical Council ( GMC ) requires doctors who qualified outside Europe to speak English to a safe standard. Employers do also check language skills before appointing doctors of any nationality.

The issue of poor English skills came to a head 4 years ago when Dr Daniel Ubami ( a German-trained GP ) gave a patient a fatal overdose on his first and only shift in the UK.

From April of this year – not before time – there will be a legal duty to ensure a doctor’s English is adequate before employment, and also a national list of GP’s to prevent doctors already rejected in one part of the country ( as with Dr Ubami ) then taking up employment elsewhere.
Out of the quarter of a million or so doctors registered with the GMC to “ practise “ medicine ( perhaps “ work “ would be a better term ) in the UK, about 2/3 qualified in the UK, followed by India ( 1/10 ), Pakistan, South Africa, Ireland, Nigeria, Germany, Egypt, Greece and Italy. Only a fraction of 1% qualified in the Philippines – “ joebloggs’ “ wife being one.

With the huge number of UK applicants for every place in UK medical schools some might question why a third of registered doctors here are from abroad. They currently fill a gap in the UK health system and, even if desired, it would be a long time before all doctors in the UK could be trained here.

What is surely beyond doubt is the need for strict and equitable enforcement of communication skills, regardless of the country of qualification.

grahamw48
24th February 2013, 14:47
Absolutely agree.

If ever the term 'life or death situation' was appropriate...so hardly a minor matter. :NoNo:

joebloggs
24th February 2013, 14:53
about time that European doctors and those non European doctors who are married to Europeans have to pass the Academic version of IELTS and getting at least 7 out of 10 in each section, as IMG's have to do.

at least i hope they have to pass IELTS and somebody in a trust is not going to decide if their level of the english language is acceptable :NoNo:

-sillybilly-
24th February 2013, 15:02
Yes I totally agree.
We get them in work and we find it so difficult trying to communicate, explaining, and asking for a proper handover which makes it more complicated and makes life difficult. And as we concerned staff had a meeting that junior foreign doctors should be supervised by senior doctors or consultant specially wheb dealing with vulnarable patients.

Training hospitals doesnt mean Training Doctors must focus on their career to reach their target but should prioritise the patients.
Too!

Patients turning up urgently needed to get in the theatre and we were not aware of it. We were expecting a patient but no expected time of arrival and the patient's situation. So there you go the lack of communication and the ability of foreign doctors to expand and express to deliver more information.

And one thing you will notice when they are in the middle of performing a procedure, its either you would think they cant be bother to listen to you or they havent got a clue what you're on about. Scary!

joebloggs
24th February 2013, 15:14
:doh:NoNo: no they don't have to do IELTS, they can also attend an interview and a person responsible for that area can judge their level of English :doh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21547513

-sillybilly-
24th February 2013, 15:55
Thats not good enough. So no surprised why we had so many incidents in the Hospital because of miscommunication, misunderstanding with regards to patient care.

One thing that bugs me why foreign nurses like Filipino Nurses had to passed their IELTS exams when we Filipinos speaks more english than foreign doctors and nurses.
Life isnt fair sometimes.

grahamw48
24th February 2013, 16:11
I agree it's not fair.

The average Filipino can speak very good Englsh. As you'll know, it's the main language used in the Filipino education system. (I had 3 kids attend school there and here).

This is blatent discrimination (against Filipinos), as I see it. :NoNo:

andy222
24th February 2013, 18:14
They should be made to take the life in the uk test too.