PDA

View Full Version : Canon vs Nikon

sars_notd_virus
22nd February 2013, 15:31
yes I am planning to upgrade my compact camera,...which DSLR should you recommend??

raynaputi
22nd February 2013, 16:50
We have a Canon DSLR..not sure what model though..maybe Keith can tell you..:Erm:

Leen
22nd February 2013, 17:07
hubby just recently bought a nikon d3100 for me,nice camera and not that expensive but i dont know yet how good it is coz i dont have time to try it yet :icon_lol:...but reading all the reviews i prefer this dslr for me

stevewool
22nd February 2013, 18:31
each to there own i have a nikon d5000 and i am soooooooooooooooooooo pleased with this, all depends on how much you would like to spend and what do you want it for just snaps or more

Michael Parnham
22nd February 2013, 20:32
I think with todays technology most camera's are about the same price for price, I think I will buy a decent bridge camera next :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
22nd February 2013, 21:48
Good question sars, but imo no answer.

Both of these camera manufacturers offer truly exceptional quality in their products.
Really no difference you could ever notice in terms of image quality capability.

Best is to handle the camera, study the specification (price comparison), very carefully study the extra lenses or accessories you might like and see which suits your interests (and pocket) best.

I've always been a Canon person myself since way back when, so that loyalty always influences me.

Good luck!!
Whatever your decision you'll be happy. Just be sure you're comfortable in the handling, weight, etc etc

cheekee
22nd February 2013, 23:39
I have a canon 450D and a 500D plus lenses.

I love the 500D and it gives me great pics. To be honest the nikon range is just as good.

It really depends on your budget. All I would say is get the best lenses you can..

malditako
23rd February 2013, 13:01
I think no matter what brand you use in the end producing a nice quality picture lies solely on how good and talented the photographer is especially with those editing software that is available in the market. But me personally i prefer canon than nikon. I used to have nikon dslr before it produces good pictures but after i tried canon i sticked to it.

sars_notd_virus
23rd February 2013, 13:57
thanks for the input guys, ..i love pictures, taking pictures, loads of pictures ..just like my passion for shoes , my passion for taking good pictures needs to level up,...I always thought that dslr is only fr big boys not for girls but looking at the specs and the quality of pictures canon and nikon is competitive with each other...so for ''a beginner'' in dslr which model of canon/nikon is best?

sars_notd_virus
23rd February 2013, 13:59
All I would say is get the best lenses you can..

ive checked the price of the lenses , some are much more expensive than the camera:omg:

jlags90
23rd February 2013, 14:16
ive checked the price of the lenses , some are much more expensive than the camera:omg:

Yeah, crazy isn't it?:icon_lol: The type of lens will depend what type of picture you want to take. For example, if you want close-up pics of flowers and small objects, macro lens is preferrable, if you want panoramic pictures then a different lens does the job. However, I can't comment on Canon vs. Nikon since I have not used canon camera. :NoNo: We have Nikon d90 but I have been hoping of a lighter camera... It's too bulky :NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
23rd February 2013, 14:25
Yeah, crazy isn't it?:icon_lol: The type of lens will depend what type of picture you want to take.

yes its astronomical!!:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Steve.r
23rd February 2013, 15:13
I bought one of these for Charie the other day, it takes some really great photos
http://www.nikon.com.cn/sc_CN/product_details.page?DCRPath=templatedata/sc_CN/saleable_product_information/data/Digital Compact Cameras/Performance/COOLPIX P520.xml&CategoryID=glxlvehu&currentTab=glxlvehv

tone
23rd February 2013, 16:36
I was always a Canon man until recently where I got a Nikon D60. After upgrading a couple of times I'm now running a D7000.

The new D3200 is a stunning entry level dslr.

Whatever you go for check this site for prices!

http://www.camerapricebuster.com/cat_Nikon_Digital_SLRs.html

Tone

melovesengland
25th February 2013, 11:26
I use Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens which is an entry level dslr that we bought for £600 back in 2011 (almost half price now) and it works quite well for me. This is my little blog, please visit for my photos (their no good but im trying my best! LOL!) http://misexperienciaspersonales.wordpress.com/

South-east boy
25th February 2013, 12:02
Canon and Nikon are both good. Go to a shop and have a look at and handle the ones in the price bracket that you're looking at. Also take note and search for any special offers that are current. I had a Canon before, but changed to a Nikon as I preferred how it felt to hold and also the build quality of the Nikon D90-a lot of the cheaper ones feel a bit light and plasticky-it depends if that bothers you or not!

South-east boy
25th February 2013, 12:03
Yeah, crazy isn't it?:icon_lol: The type of lens will depend what type of picture you want to take. For example, if you want close-up pics of flowers and small objects, macro lens is preferrable, if you want panoramic pictures then a different lens does the job. However, I can't comment on Canon vs. Nikon since I have not used canon camera. :NoNo: We have Nikon d90 but I have been hoping of a lighter camera... It's too bulky :NoNo:

I have the same camera, but I prefer it to lighter ones as they feel cheap and plasticky! I like the feel of quality and durability!

Terpe
25th February 2013, 12:11
....This is my little blog, please visit for my photos (their no good but im trying my best! LOL!) http://misexperienciaspersonales.wordpress.com/

Nice. Enjoyed my visit. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

melovesengland
25th February 2013, 13:27
Thanks sir Peter! Appreciated the effort!

Rhose
25th February 2013, 13:43
got my canon PowerShot SX500 the quality is almost the same specification as the dslr or bridge camera have. Very convenient to carry not that big but I like it. Just thinking about nikon before but my friends who are photographers told me to buy canon because of the quality of picture especially the details of it.

MissAna
25th February 2013, 14:06
yes I am planning to upgrade my compact camera,...which DSLR should you recommend??
definitely canon for me :smile: but it still depends on what specs you're looking for..

joebloggs
25th February 2013, 14:20
..just like my passion for shoes ,

how many pairs have you got :icon_rolleyes:

http://theendofcollection.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/imelda-marcos-shoes-many.jpg

:yikes:

jlags90
25th February 2013, 23:03
I have the same camera, but I prefer it to lighter ones as they feel cheap and plasticky! I like the feel of quality and durability!

I agree, it is very durable. Very suitable for clumsy David...:Erm: I always admire the quality the photographs Nikon Camera takes. But I am just too lazy to take it with me:cwm25:

jlags90
25th February 2013, 23:07
I use Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR lens which is an entry level dslr that we bought for £600 back in 2011 (almost half price now) and it works quite well for me. This is my little blog, please visit for my photos (their no good but im trying my best! LOL!) http://misexperienciaspersonales.wordpress.com/

I have always envied Novie's pictures of flowers and minute objects:Erm:. I almost bought a used macro lens in ebay for that matter (thanks to the person I was bidding against, I never won!).

melovesengland
26th February 2013, 11:07
I have always envied Novie's pictures of flowers and minute objects:Erm:. I almost bought a used macro lens in ebay for that matter (thanks to the person I was bidding against, I never won!).

Maulaw man sad ta nimo jlags oi! Thanks sa compliment. You shouldve bought the lens, you can explore more on that. I am saving still to get new telephoto lens. GRRRR!! Soooo expensive!!

sars_notd_virus
26th February 2013, 18:13
thanks everyone...:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I am eyeing on nikon D5100 but my husband said he will still do some research for it..I really hope to get one soon before summer.

sars_notd_virus
26th February 2013, 18:16
how many pairs have you got :icon_rolleyes:

http://theendofcollection.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/imelda-marcos-shoes-many.jpg

:yikes:

I dont count my shoes..its bad luck:icon_lol:
anyway, I always get a new pair every couple of months:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Bikramyogi
26th February 2013, 18:44

Me too! glad to have come accross this forum :-)

Bikramyogi
26th February 2013, 18:45
Good question sars, but imo no answer.

Both of these camera manufacturers offer truly exceptional quality in their products.
Really no difference you could ever notice in terms of image quality capability.

Best is to handle the camera, study the specification (price comparison), very carefully study the extra lenses or accessories you might like and see which suits your interests (and pocket) best.

I've always been a Canon person myself since way back when, so that loyalty always influences me.

Good luck!!
Whatever your decision you'll be happy. Just be sure you're comfortable in the handling, weight, etc etc

im considering this as ive always been a fan of canon lol

Bikramyogi
26th February 2013, 18:48
Canon and Nikon are both good. Go to a shop and have a look at and handle the ones in the price bracket that you're looking at. Also take note and search for any special offers that are current. I had a Canon before, but changed to a Nikon as I preferred how it felt to hold and also the build quality of the Nikon D90-a lot of the cheaper ones feel a bit light and plasticky-it depends if that bothers you or not!

ohhh look who I have found here :-)
:Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave:

South-east boy
26th February 2013, 20:21
ohhh look who I have found here :-)
:Wave::Wave::Wave::Wave:

Ha ha! I didn't even know that you were on here! :icon_lol: Welcome! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jlags90
26th February 2013, 21:32
Maulaw man sad ta nimo jlags oi! Thanks sa compliment. You shouldve bought the lens, you can explore more on that. I am saving still to get new telephoto lens. GRRRR!! Soooo expensive!!

It was way too expensive considering it was already used. I found out that I can buy a new one like your 18-55mm VR lens cheaper than my bidding price. The one i was bidding on was an 18-200 vr lens that is probably why it is expensive:doh.