PDA

View Full Version : Possibilities of moving to Philippines

purple
18th February 2013, 14:52
A lot of us here are dreaming of living abroad specially in the tropics.

But there are some things we need to consider.

Have read this on guardian. Things such as this might help us want to consider.

Me and hubby are considering the south america. Great healthcare, cheap cost of living and not so hot like PI.
Hopefully we will the euromillions .. need to start buying lotto tickets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/17/filipino-super-typhoon-climate-change

Terpe
18th February 2013, 18:05
A lot of us here are dreaming of living abroad specially in the tropics.

But there are some things we need to consider.

Have read this on guardian. Things such as this might help us want to consider.

Me and hubby are considering the south america. Great healthcare, cheap cost of living and not so hot like PI.
Hopefully we will the euromillions .. need to start buying lotto tickets.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/17/filipino-super-typhoon-climate-change

South America, that's an interesting thought. Which country have you considered?

I spent some years working in many south American countries as a Railway Engineer.
To be honest I never found one that I felt like settling in, although life in and around Buenos Aires Argentina was very nice. I've no idea what the cost of living would be these days, but during my time there it was very cheap. Especially the food.
I enjoyed Chile but didn't really get such a big chance to 'get under it's skin' so to speak. An expensive place to live - even in those days.

I've not made a study but I believe there are many place in Philippines where the climate is cooler.
My wife sometimes struggles with the heat in Philippines, so far I have managed wonderfully well.

We have a plan to retire to Philippines. Like many others we have lots of reasons, not the least of which is family connections.
We have interests and friends in many places that are within easy and quick access from Philippines, and that's another reason for us to consider. We like to think we could 'get away' for months at a time, especially for stays in Japan which is where we spent nearly 20 years of our life (second home for us).

None of us can know what lies around the next corner for us. We can only make the best plans we can and live full lives in optimistic expectation.

In the words of Rudyard Kipling "Fill the unforgiving minute"

(no,nothing to do with cakes) :biggrin:

fred
18th February 2013, 23:54
An exceedingly good post from Terpe.

Fitzy
19th February 2013, 00:26
I was married to a Peruvian girl before. We have become good friends now.
Life is strange like that!
Peru was so nice, and i got to learn to speak Spanish to a functional degree.
Now I have a family in the Phils.
The cutest little boy:smile:
I must say, the strong Peso worries me more, and more:icon_rolleyes:
Will have a 200k pension fund when I retire in five years, minus the 25% lump sum, and savings.
Will be 55 then.
If I make it to my old age pension, even better.
More things to worry about than climate, lol

Arthur Little
19th February 2013, 01:00
I was married to a Peruvian girl before. We have become good friends now.
Life is strange like that!
Peru was so nice, and i got to learn to speak Spanish to a functional degree.
Now I have a family in the Phils.
The cutest little boy :smile:
I must say, the strong Peso worries me more, and more :icon_rolleyes:
Will have a 200k pension fund when I retire in five years, minus the 25% lump sum, and savings.
Will be 55 then.
If I make it to my old age pension, even better.
More things to worry about than climate, lol

:welcomex: back, Philip ... it's been a while, my friend.

Interesting write-up. :smile: Tbh ... I wasn't aware of your Peruvian connection until now (perusing this post) but I'm delighted to learn all is well with you and your loved ones. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

purple
22nd February 2013, 19:30
Just having a thought if it would be nice.

We were considering Guatemala.. though my heart still wants to be in the Philippines as that is where I'm from.

We'll keep you posted as our plans are in the next 3 years of moving out UK.

Terpe
22nd February 2013, 20:22
Just having a thought if it would be nice.

We were considering Guatemala.. though my heart still wants to be in the Philippines as that is where I'm from.

We'll keep you posted as our plans are in the next 3 years of moving out UK.

Guatemala, Central America, never actually been there myself.
Spent some time in both Honduras and Belize which actually border Guatemala.

Definitely visit, first!!
In many ways not that much different to Philippines.

junior02
9th March 2013, 07:14
If i could afford it i would live in guam best place in world ive ever been to, and just hop over to rp for few days wen the wife wanted to see her family.. dont think i could live in rp again even though we have a house ther..