PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn As An Old Goat

Mich
25th August 2007, 02:58
Martin Luther had a favorite illustration he used in his sermons:

“If two goats meet each other in a narrow path above a piece of water, what do they do? They cannot turn back, and they cannot pass each other’ and there is not an inch of spare room. If they were to butt each other, both would fall into the water below and be drowned. What will they do, do you suppose?”

As it happens, one goat will inevitably lie down while the other goat passes over it. Once the walking goat is safely on its way, the other will rise and continue on its chosen path. This way, both get where they wish to go safely.

There is a great deal of concern in today’s world about allowing others to “walk all over us”. But lying down to give way to another in order that both might achieve their goal is not the same as being a doormat.

When you come to in passes with people, consider what might happen if you simply yielded your pride for a moment and allowed them to:

v Speak their opinions,
v Present their arguments,
v Offer their ideas,
v Suggest courses of action, or
v Perhaps even make decisions

Ask yourself, would this change the direction I am going in my life? Will it keep anyone from Heaven?

Prostrating ourselves for the benefits of others rarely costs us anything, but it will yield great rewards, both now and for eternity.

:rolleyes:

PeterB
25th August 2007, 16:20
Wow! Thanks for sharing that!

Mich
26th August 2007, 07:47
you're welcome.

i do read a lot of devotional books. glad to share some to you here in the forum.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: