PDA

View Full Version : how much money

stevewool
10th February 2013, 15:54
if someone said here you are here is £???????? off you go to the phils and never come back what would that figure be, remember you cant come back but you will receive your state pension once you get to that age, so what figure may tempt you

imagine
10th February 2013, 16:01
try me , im holding my hand out:laugher::laugher::laugher:

stevewool
10th February 2013, 16:05
try me , im holding my hand out:laugher::laugher::laugher:

imagine
10th February 2013, 16:07

:icon_lol::REGamblMoney01HL1: peso or pounds :icon_lol:

stevewool
10th February 2013, 16:09
:icon_lol::REGamblMoney01HL1: peso or pounds :icon_lol:

your a hard man to please, pounds

sars_notd_virus
10th February 2013, 16:44
:REGamblMoney01HL1: lots and lots of money :smile:

imagine
10th February 2013, 17:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy04c-6DEgE:biggrin:

Michael Parnham
10th February 2013, 18:30
When I lived in Philippines I had £7000 in the bank, lived on my state pension and when I returned I still had £7000 in my bank also managed to save £300 per month in my Phil a/c. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
10th February 2013, 19:22
How much is an airticket ? :Erm:

grahamw48
10th February 2013, 19:24
I remember going to Hong Kong once, with 80 quid in my pocket.

Spent a very pleasant month there before returning home in profit. :biggrin:

stevewool
10th February 2013, 20:23
When I lived in Philippines I had £7000 in the bank, lived on my state pension and when I returned I still had £7000 in my bank also managed to save £300 per month in my Phil a/c.
how long was you there Michael, and when was you there too

stevewool
10th February 2013, 20:24
How much is an airticket ? :Erm:

2 shillings and sixpence

grahamw48
10th February 2013, 20:35
When I lived in Philippines I had £7000 in the bank, lived on my state pension and when I returned I still had £7000 in my bank also managed to save £300 per month in my Phil a/c. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

How did you manage that Michael ? :smile:

Moy
10th February 2013, 21:12
a million pounds:biggrin:

Terpe
10th February 2013, 22:07
Here's my personal opinion.
As long as I have a regular income stream that allows me to be content, that's enough.
I believe that when living abroad savings don't do anything, except maybe decrease.

No offence to anyone, personal opinion

fred
10th February 2013, 22:22
Here's my personal opinion.
As long as I have a regular income stream that allows me to be content, that's enough.
I believe that when living abroad savings don't do anything, except maybe decrease.

No offence to anyone, personal opinion

Saving do something.. They are a safety net in a country where cash is king.
Remember... No NHS here!
If you have a pension that covers all expenses its still very nice to have 20/30 grand stashed IMO.

Terpe
10th February 2013, 22:30
Remember... No NHS here!
If you have a pension that covers all expenses its still very nice to have 20/30 grand stashed IMO.

As I said, no offence to anyone just expressing my personal opinion.
Of course savings can increase or decrease anywhere.
Exchange rates, inflation may or may not play a role.
I didn't say anything about not having savings.
I expressed a personal opinion
So we agree

fred
10th February 2013, 22:47
As I said, no offence to anyone just expressing my personal opinion.
Of course savings can increase or decrease anywhere.
Exchange rates, inflation may or may not play a role.
I didn't say anything about not having savings.
I expressed a personal opinion
So we agree

A friend of mine has used much of his savings building two, 2 bedroom houses either side of the house they live in.. He did it so that when he kicks the bucket and his pension is gone his wife can continue to live there and collect rent for a rather nice income..
This method produces inflation proof cash and is a good future investment too!!
Im hearing from more and more expats living here is that their biggest worry is how their partners will survive here after they die..
No offence taken for goodness sake!!.. :icon_lol:
All we can do is share our opinions honestly.

Ako Si Jamie
10th February 2013, 23:21
With no regular income I'd want a quarter of a million. That should do me 20+ years.

But if I was making say £300 p/w until my pension I'd settle for £30k under those circumstances.

imagine
10th February 2013, 23:41
A friend of mine has used much of his savings building two, 2 bedroom houses either side of the house they live in.. He did it so that when he kicks the bucket and his pension is gone his wife can continue to live there and collect rent for a rather nice income..
This method produces inflation proof cash and is a good future investment too!!
Im hearing from more and more expats living here is that their biggest worry is how their partners will survive here after they die..
No offence taken for goodness sake!!.. :icon_lol:
All we can do is share our opinions honestly.

i dont think it realy matters if your in uk or anywhere else, its normal to want your wife to manage ok after your death,its kind of built in instinct, as its usualy the man that pops off first, what do you think?

imagine
10th February 2013, 23:45
Remember... No NHS here!

with enough income to get by year after year, do you think 20/30 grand is enough in phill for the unexpected hospital horror?

grahamw48
11th February 2013, 00:38
The hospital I went into in the province you could have bought for 20 grand. :icon_lol:

imagine
11th February 2013, 00:49
The hospital I went into in the province you could have bought for 20 grand. :icon_lol:

investment oppertunity :biggrin::icon_lol:

fred
11th February 2013, 01:18
with enough income to get by year after year, do you think 20/30 grand is enough in phill for the unexpected hospital horror?

Define hospital horror illness..
Look,who really knows and how long is a piece of string etc etc..
I dont spend my time worrying about such things too much..
If I did,I would probably still be in the UK,worrying,stressed out and watching Eastenders and Corry with a bowl of Cornflakes.

imagine
11th February 2013, 01:35
Define hospital horror illness..
Look,who really knows and how long is a piece of string etc etc..
I dont spend my time worrying about such things too much..
If I did,I would probably still be in the UK,worrying,stressed out and watching Eastenders and Corry with a bowl of Cornflakes.

now thats enough to harden the arterys:icon_lol:

no its just something i need to figure what my emergency cash should be set aside, i guess you can never realy know whats enough,

even a relatively simple heart opp,or any other opp could have unexpected complications to throw the cost even higher,
so its a gamble just decide what you think i guess

grahamw48
11th February 2013, 01:42
Just avoid sex Stewart. You'll be alright mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
11th February 2013, 02:02
Just avoid sex Stewart. You'll be alright mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:yikes::omg::doh:NoNo:

and theirs me thinking its good for ya

fred
11th February 2013, 05:30
now thats enough to harden the arterys:icon_lol:

no its just something i need to figure what my emergency cash should be set aside, i guess you can never realy know whats enough,

even a relatively simple heart opp,or any other opp could have unexpected complications to throw the cost even higher,
so its a gamble just decide what you think i guess

Just googled it and Sulit.com do them cheap..
15 results for cost of heart bypass surgery Philippines; For sale cost of heart bypass surgery at Sulit.com.ph Online Classified Ads

Jokes aside,A quick look at the Philippine heart center packages and it says...
Bypass surgery.. Single chamber..148k Dual chamber..210.000K PRIVATE.

Semi private.. Single chamber 120,328.00 Dual chamber...178,352.00k

Ward plan..Single chamber...101,224.00 Dual..155,536.00k

So cheapest case is around 1,200 Quid and most expensive 2600 Quid..(ish)

http://www.phc.gov.ph/services/treatment.php

jake
11th February 2013, 06:31
Just googled it and Sulit.com do them cheap..
15 results for cost of heart bypass surgery Philippines; For sale cost of heart bypass surgery at Sulit.com.ph Online Classified Ads

Jokes aside,A quick look at the Philippine heart center packages and it says...
Bypass surgery.. Single chamber..148k Dual chamber..210.000K PRIVATE.

Semi private.. Single chamber 120,328.00 Dual chamber...178,352.00k

Ward plan..Single chamber...101,224.00 Dual..155,536.00k

So cheapest case is around 1,200 Quid and most expensive 2600 Quid..(ish)

http://www.phc.gov.ph/services/treatment.php

Interesting. Thought it would be more than that. Know somebody who had a bypass at Makati med a few years back and it cost around 600k.

A lot depends on how you and your wife handle your money. Best come here and live for awhile first to determine how much you would spend.
Some live on a lot less than others.

stevewool
11th February 2013, 09:00
intresting thoughts from many,
Saving i must have, i dont know where to put them and i not bothered what intresti will get its the total amount that is in the accounts that many, that can go towards the monthly living if you dont manage on what is coming in,
Live modest over there and i am sure the money will go a long way compared to here, but its what amount that is

Doc Alan
11th February 2013, 11:11
I personally wouldn’t consider “ never coming back “ to the UK under any circumstances, and can’t comment on how much would be needed to live in the Philippines.
Naturally I am concerned with health !

• The Philippine Heart Center “ Surgical Package Deal “ states what is – and is not – included. ( Includes cost of hospitalization for specified number of days, medications, operating room and professional fees. Does not include cost of blood and/or screening of blood products and cost of Intra Aortic Balloon, Graft for Peripheral Vascular Bypass, Cardiac Rehabilitation, Pacemaker, Introducer Sheaths, and Complications of Surgery.)

• I’ve said before ( in the context of “health tourism “ -
elective health care abroad ) : -

• Do your research into the clinic / hospital, including language used / communication / costs.

• Have a full consultation with the doctor or dentist.

• Consider aftercare such as corrective treatment.

• Consider travel risks such as air travel after surgery.

• Many insurers won't cover planned treatment abroad.

• The UK has reciprocal healthcare agreements with a few non-EEA countries, but not the Philippines. Travel insurance is vital for short visits, and local health insurance ( such as “ PhilHealth “ ) desirable for living there permanently.

• If you choose to live in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland on a permanent basis, you MAY be entitled to healthcare paid by the UK, for example if you're receiving a UK state pension or long-term incapacity benefit.

• Of course none of us know what health problems - especially emergencies - we may have in the future. Paying for the NHS through taxation means the less healthy get their money’s worth at the expense of the healthy. “ Cost “ of health can’t just be measured in financial terms ! True, we will all die eventually, but good diet, exercise, moderate alcohol intake and not smoking improve our chances of NOT suffering ill health and its consequences ... wherever we live :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Steve.r
11th February 2013, 12:57
You are right Alan, good advice never to say never. Even now I am an 'expat' and with a good health insurance here in China, I still pay my taxes to keep my health care and pension going.

Michael Parnham
11th February 2013, 13:30
Well said Alan, pleased youre not retiring:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
14th February 2013, 23:38
The answer to Graham & Steves question is as follows, my total income is p55000, out of that our rent for a brand new two bed apartment at Villa Edago Dumaguete was p8000 per month, electric p800, water p150 per month, also our gas was approx p2,020 per year that was the price of two standard gas cylinders. Food shopping was approx p10000 per month. I lived in Dumaguete from feb 17th 2011 until june 6th 2012. Regarding furniture I sent Maritess £5000 a couple of weeks before I arrived in Philippines to furnish the apartment and buy us a motor bike, she did a perfect job because all the furniture and appliances were just like being here in UK and I was very proud that she managed to find the kind of things you would buy if living here. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
15th February 2013, 20:52
Also I almost forgot, Sky cable TV & Internet p1100 per month!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
15th February 2013, 20:58
Also I almost forgot, Sky cable TV & Internet p1100 per month!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

that sounds like luxury living, either here or there

Michael Parnham
15th February 2013, 21:00
Remember p55000 isn't much here in UK but we manage, it will be better when wifey starts work!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
15th February 2013, 21:07
i could manage quite nicely on £872. per month here,
mind you for just myself,

out goings are a factor on how much income you can manage on and everyone is different,

but im sure living a simple life in phil i could manage on very little, with exception to any medical costs which il exclude

andy222
15th February 2013, 21:07
Why did you come back Michael?

Michael Parnham
15th February 2013, 21:22
Thanks for that Imagine, its nice to know that others can budget also:xxgrinning--00xx3: Also to answer your question Andy, lots of reasons really I can only mention a few on the forum because some may be offended eg: too hot, no NHS, pollution, noise, ect. Money and cost of living no problem! Would rather holiday there, great place for holidays.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
15th February 2013, 21:25
Thanks for sharing that Michael. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Michael Parnham
15th February 2013, 21:30
Your very welcome Graham:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
15th February 2013, 21:39
Thanks for that Imagine, its nice to know that others can budget also:xxgrinning--00xx3: Also to answer your question Andy, lots of reasons really I can only mention a few on the forum because some may be offended eg: too hot, no NHS, pollution, noise, ect. Money and cost of living no problem! Would rather holiday there, great place for holidays.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

for myself having only 3 weeks total experience in phil, which makes me a novice :biggrin: i agree with too hot, most places i would not have coped with the heat on a permanent basis, but on that i found malaybalay comfortable,

polution worse in some places than others, i couldnt live in the center of town, but staying just out of town was fine and clear from the exhaust fumes, also was much quieter,

andy222
15th February 2013, 21:43
Fair play Michael.

andy222
15th February 2013, 21:48
Well next time will be 8 times for me and still a novice compared to some. I dont think any country is perfect. But I do like the phils. I like the simple lifestyle pollution doesnt bother me and neither does the climate.. But like people say we have the luxury of the nhs for the time being.

imagine
15th February 2013, 21:50
Well next time will be 8 times for me and still a novice compared to some. I dont think any country is perfect. But I do like the phils. I like the simple lifestyle pollution doesnt bother me and neither does the climate.. But like people say we have the luxury of the nhs for the time being.

for the time being its certainly looking that way

purple
15th February 2013, 22:15
Hello everyone,

I just want to share from expats point.. (having a stepfather who is Welsh and been living in Cebu for 20 years) never been back in the UK since 1986. Though he got a couple of flats in Ports and few investments in Isle of Man which all went down the drain after the recession.

I must say that it all depends on your lifestyle when it comes to expenditures and cost of living in the Philippines. You need to consider the area. Living in Dumaguete or Bohol or Leyte and Negros and other outskirts places like in Northern Philippines or in Davao that is not highly urbanized like in cities of Cebu city or Manila.
Though Philippines may not have NHS, but once you go local and make friends with the local doctors in Rural Health Clinic it will work out free. Unless it is something serious. But then again, it all comes down "knowing who".

An instance was when my stepfather had an hernia operation. The doctor who did the operation at Cebu doctors hospital was a friend of my common friend. My stepfather only paid 60,000Php for everything. Its matter of asking and being humble and let the people understand that not all "puti" are super rich. That like them, every money are hard earned.

Another thing is that it gets too noisy in the Philippines.. specially when neighbors get a karaoke competition side by side until 3am. Or the motorbikes and so on.

If you are going to be driving or commuting. Driving an SUV may take between 3000-5000pesos, depends if you will be driving a lot.
Motorbikes are cheaper and doesn't cost much petrol.

If you can stomach most of the filipino foods.. if you will be doing shopping in supermarket or wet market.

I must say that I'm proud of my stepfather.. doesn't speak a word of cebuano but he knows how to haggle at wet market for a kilo of chopped ve:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
15th February 2013, 23:12
Good info' ...thanks. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
16th February 2013, 08:51
its all down to each of us, what we want in life and what we will accept, the karaoke dont sound as good though,but you have to take the rough with the smooth so they say, anyway a long time in planning and of course the plans can and will change from time to time, but the budget i think for me to be safe over there and coming back over here will be around the 100- 250,000 mark, but who knows :smile:

jake
16th February 2013, 09:15
its all down to each of us, what we want in life and what we will accept, the karaoke dont sound as good though,but you have to take the rough with the smooth so they say, anyway a long time in planning and of course the plans can and will change from time to time, but the budget i think for me to be safe over there and coming back over here will be around the 100- 250,000 mark, but who knows :smile:

As you said nobody really knows how much you need to live in the Philippines as we all want and expect different things.
A lot of foreigners come here with the idea they can live with the same standards as filipino's and they cannot.
One mistake i see foreigners making time and time again is not respecting the filipino culture. They usually end up paying for it one way or the other. When in rome do as the romans do. Although you can bend the rules sometimes :icon_lol:
Personally i think if you set a budget of about 50,000 pesos a month it will be enough.

stevewool
16th February 2013, 09:27
As you said nobody really knows how much you need to live in the Philippines as we all want and expect different things.
A lot of foreigners come here with the idea they can live with the same standards as filipino's and they cannot.
One mistake i see foreigners making time and time again is not respecting the filipino culture. They usually end up paying for it one way or the other. When in rome do as the romans do. Although you can bend the rules sometimes :icon_lol:
Personally i think if you set a budget of about 50,000 pesos a month it will be enough.

that figure is that renting or you have your own place

jake
16th February 2013, 11:21
that figure is that renting or you have your own place

We have our own place. Even renting you would do fine on 50,000. We lived on a lot less than that when we first moved here. We now live on a lot more due to the kids going to private schools etc

stevewool
16th February 2013, 11:40

well said Andy, in all views too

stevewool
16th February 2013, 11:43
We have our own place. Even renting you would do fine on 50,000. We lived on a lot less than that when we first moved here. We now live on a lot more due to the kids going to private schools etc

thanks Jake, being as there will only be the two of us our budget i am sure will be less but its having the extra just in case

jake
16th February 2013, 11:51
thanks Jake, being as there will only be the two of us our budget i am sure will be less but its having the extra just in case

Your welcome. Good idea to have the extra put away for rainy days:xxgrinning--00xx3: