PDA

View Full Version : Healthcare in UK

Bikramyogi
10th February 2013, 00:40
Hi everyone!

What dy'all think about the healthcare system here in UK?

Any opinions and insights about the recent healthcare scandal in an NHS trust in UK? It's all over the news! Now I feel our credibility as nurses and other health care professionals are tested because of this. :crazy::cwm25::Rasp::doh

Have a nice day to you all! :-)

grahamw48
10th February 2013, 01:41
I'm sure there is good and bad in the system, but it seems to me that the administrators running it are now just vastly overpaid business people, too distanced from the caring side of it.

If they want to cut waste, then concentrate on the people who NEED caring for, like the elderly and the very young, instead of squandering resources on drunken idiots with self-inflicted injuries and timewasters who are there to have a bandage put on their scratched finger.

They also seem to waste a lot of money carrying people around in ambulances , when their family (probably with 2 cars on the drive) should be helping out more.

ALL foreigners should be charged a realistic price for any treatment they require.

The NHS should also cut down enormously on the amount of over-priced drugs they buy from clever drug company sales people. :NoNo:

I continue to have the greatest respect for the nurses, doctors and other health professionals, but it DOES need to be a vocation, not just a job.

Bikramyogi
10th February 2013, 11:10
If they want to cut waste, then concentrate on the people who NEED caring for, like the elderly and the very young, instead of squandering resources on drunken idiots with self-inflicted injuries and timewasters who are there to have a bandage put on their scratched finger.

They also seem to waste a lot of money carrying people around in ambulances , when their family (probably with 2 cars on the drive) should be helping out more.

ALL foreigners should be charged a realistic price for any treatment they require.

The NHS should also cut down enormously on the amount of over-priced drugs they buy from clever drug company sales people. :NoNo:

I continue to have the greatest respect for the nurses, doctors and other health professionals, but it DOES need to be a vocation, not just a job.

I Agree with you grahamw48 I feel one reason why people are neglected of care at the hospitals is because there's lack of staff looking after the patients. Health care professionals have so much to do for one patient in a day like medications, special procedures, and all they could think of is to just finish whatever is to be done and imagine how many patients they need to attend to. The lack of hospital staff makes it difficult for us nurses to give quality care e.g.. spending time to talk and have a chat with the patient, check on them every hour/half an hour because we have to carry out enormous doctors' orders. The nurse/ patient ratio has gone up to 1:10 and that tells a lot about the quality of care.

I feel sad for the elderly being neglected too just because they're in their late stages of life. Surely a glass of water every hour and a chat once in while would make a difference in their lives.

grahamw48
10th February 2013, 11:33
Perhaps more volunteers could be recruited to help out with the older people...just to help make sure they are getting the basics, like food and water regularly, and spending a little time chatting with them.
Publicity would need to be given to this though, because I'm sure there would be a lot of people willing to do this, if only they were ASKED and given some encouragement.

What I do find very sad, or annoying actually, is that so many elderly people seem to receive little help and TIME from their far-flung families nowadays. :NoNo:

In our modern society many of us are so bound up in our own little selfish lives and 'getting ahead' that we forget those who should be REALLY important to us. Those who gave us so much love and attention when WE needed it.

Thank goodness in countries like the Philippines, families are still so close-knit and caring.

Bikramyogi
10th February 2013, 11:56
Problem is, no one wants to volunteer because they want a paid job and can't settle with a minimum wage for huge amount of work.We do have support workers, but they just give them a wash, dress them give them breakfast, lunch and then leave and jump from one house to another. The consistency of care is not there.

When I came here the first time and worked in a nursing home, I cried on my first day because I couldn't imagine my mom and dad under the care of people not related to her. We only have about less than 5 care homes in the Philippines and they're mostly for theless-fortunate ones who have no families at all. I'm proud to be part of a culture with close-knit ties and extended relatives who can look after the elderly.

Though I can't blame the family structure here because living in a fast-paced society, it makes it difficult for a couple to manage their children even more so to look after their aging parents. Though I wish even if they send their parents in the nursing home, they should visit them as often as they can to make them feel loved and part of the family. This is the time of their lives to feel appreciated for what they have achieved and done for their children all throughout the years.

stevewool
10th February 2013, 12:18
Problem is, no one wants to volunteer because they want a paid job and can't settle with a minimum wage for huge amount of work.We do have support workers, but they just give them a wash, dress them give them breakfast, lunch and then leave and jump from one house to another. The consistency of care is not there.

When I came here the first time and worked in a nursing home, I cried on my first day because I couldn't imagine my mom and dad under the care of people not related to her. We only have about less than 5 care homes in the Philippines and they're mostly for theless-fortunate ones who have no families at all. I'm proud to be part of a culture with close-knit ties and extended relatives who can look after the elderly.

Though I can't blame the family structure here because living in a fast-paced society, it makes it difficult for a couple to manage their children even more so to look after their aging parents. Though I wish even if they send their parents in the nursing home, they should visit them as often as they can to make them feel loved and part of the family. This is the time of their lives to feel appreciated for what they have achieved and done for their children all throughout the years.

thats why i will be retiring to the phils , so with Em and a nice beach and lots of sun , i shall be a happy man

Bikramyogi
10th February 2013, 12:58
thats why i will be retiring to the phils , so with Em and a nice beach and lots of sun , i shall be a happy man

Good for you! Yes you will be a happy man indeed. I would go to that direction too. :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::Jump:

grahamw48
10th February 2013, 13:32

Fast-paced society or not, there is still no excuse for not caring for your parents in their old age IMO (or your children !).

We all have choices in our lives and a lot of control over how we CHOOSE to live....one of the benefits of living in a prosperous and free society in fact. Being 'too busy' or 'too far away' is just not a good enough excuse as far as I'm concerned. Compared with a lot of countries we are a pretty selfish and hedonistic lot here. I suppose some would call that 'progress'. :icon_rolleyes:

Bikramyogi
10th February 2013, 15:52
I think like most families around the world, people here are too busy working hard for their children's future. Plus the fact that they can't easily get someone to look after their children or their aging parents. They can't be away from their children, likewise they don't want their children under someone else's care.

On the contrary, a lot of parents in the Philippines leave their children as young as 1 year old just to work abroad in order to support their needs. They are confident to do this because there's always someone may be a grandmother, aunt or uncle or any relative who can look after the kids while they're away.

Doc Alan
10th February 2013, 20:09
Please see my new thread in the Health Issues section of the Forum (

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/44385-Improving-health-care?p=418489#post418489

)

bigtilly
11th February 2013, 13:31
My feelings are thus: Anyone seeking treatment for over indulgence of alcohol should be charged a minimum £100 per hour and if they can't or won't pay, should be held in prison until they do. Time to stop pussyfooting around with these money wasting &^%$heads.

I had the misfortune to work for a company who dispose of all the clinical waste for a very large area of the UK and the amount of medication they incinerated was unbelievable. Apparently, ALL the medication that has been on the shelf over 3 weeks is destroyed regardless of it's use by date. What is that all about then??:crazy:

Michael Parnham
11th February 2013, 13:40
My feelings are, that anyone with a self inflicted health problem eg: street violence, drugs, obesity ect, should be refused treatment on NHS and have to pay!

grahamw48
11th February 2013, 14:21
My feelings are thus: Anyone seeking treatment for over indulgence of alcohol should be charged a minimum £100 per hour and if they can't or won't pay, should be held in prison until they do. Time to stop pussyfooting around with these money wasting &^%$heads.

I had the misfortune to work for a company who dispose of all the clinical waste for a very large area of the UK and the amount of medication they incinerated was unbelievable. Apparently, ALL the medication that has been on the shelf over 3 weeks is destroyed regardless of it's use by date. What is that all about then??:crazy:

Totally agree ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th February 2013, 14:22
My feelings are, that anyone with a self inflicted health problem eg: street violence, drugs, obesity ect, should be refused treatment on NHS and have to pay!

:xxgrinning--00xx3: