PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Alona Beach

DaveW
4th February 2013, 19:12
I'm off to Philppines in March for a month. I'm doing my usual visits to Samar, Boracay and Angeles. But this time i'll have a spare 5 or 6 days.
Is it worth a visit to Alona beach and Bohol and is flying to Cebu and then ferry and car the best way to get there?
Really would appreicate some advice please. I was going to stay in and around Cebu but my Wife said its boring. We Need to be around that way as i'm flying to Caticlan from Cebu so a few nights in Bohol and Alona seems to look good.

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2013, 20:12
Tagbilaran is the only airport in Bohol and serves Cebu & Manila. A company called Mid Sea Express flies from Cebu to Tag but it'll be cheaper going by ferry to Bohol I would imagine.

I've never been but I'll be there for the first time in the first week of March. Some say they prefer Panglao Island to Boracay.

Bohol has quite a few attractions too, not just Alona Beach.

http://tarsieruk.homestead.com/Bohol.html

Terpe
4th February 2013, 20:42
Bohol has more than a dozen of really different beaches to suit all tastes and budgets. Most of them on or near to Panglao Island, which has (in my opinion)
some of the the best beaches I have so far experienced in the Philippines.

Alona Beach is just one of them, and is probably the closest to the Boracay experience in that it offers a number of resort hotels together with a large
array of on-beach buffet dining with a wide variety of cuisines.
Always makes a memorable diner experience, especially at sunset. Just magical.

The very best Fish n chips lunch I ever had anywhere, was on Dumaluan beach. Freshly caught fish, freshly cooked and right on the beach.
Heaven for just P180

Despite being a highly popular tourist destination, Bohol just exudes a serene and relaxed atmosphere. There are plenty of interesting places to visit and
things to see and do on Bohol.

You could experience dolphin and whale watching, diving, water sports and swimming, all in the clean, clear and blue waters.
A great day out for the more adventurous might be Danao Adventure Park (http://www.eatdanao.com)
You can try loads of crazy stuff such as zip-lining, kayaking, river trekking, caving etc etc

If it suits you better, maybe also try Mag-Aso falls near Antequera, and quite near to Danao Adventure Park. Personally I loved it and really loved the swimming, that water is so so cold.

A bit off the beaten track, (and some effort needed) but well well worth some time out for a family picnic is Cabilao Island.
Be warned, it's very limited in facilities you need to take everything, (and I mean everthing). Just imagine you won the lottery and bought your very own island.

For me, nothing beats a long slow relaxing buffet lunch. So what better way to enjoy an afternoon than combining that lunch with a cruise along the river.
Loboc River cruise offers a nice chance to get up-close and personal with nature’s beauty and enjoy some great photo opportunities.
Add to that the chance to sample freshly grilled seafood and meats together with a good choice of fresh local vegetables and happiness is secured.

Don't forget to allow time for touring around the island, meeting that Philippine Tarsier and experiencing the world famous Chocolate Hills.

Plenty of other interesting and historic places worth visiting and some interesting churches

We based ourselves at The MetroCentre Hotel and Convention Center Tagbilaran City (http://www.metrocentrehotel.com)

Very nice hotel and reasonable prices. We paid around P2000 for deluxe double room including breakfast.Just across from the entrance is a well stocked convenience store. Get your beachwear there too.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a few days in Bohol

DaveW
4th February 2013, 21:09
Thankyou guys. Really helped make up my mind. Just looked at some vids on youtube. Can't wait now, looks amazing.

Jamesey
4th February 2013, 21:25
The other posters have provided plenty of good info.

Alona Beach is great and IMHO the whole Panglao / Bohol experience is a Philippines "must do"! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

5 or 6 days would be ideal. You'll be able to see teh Chocolate Hills, Loboc River, Tarsiers, etc. on bohol itself. Around Panglao, you'll be able to check out the beaches, go island hopping, snorkelling, diving, etc.

Best way to get there from Cebu is by boat, but you can fly direct to Tagbilaran very easily from Manila.

Terpe
4th February 2013, 21:38
Don't forget a visit and photo opportunity to the monument of the Blood Compact.
'Sandugo' is the famous blood compact.
Made between Miguel López de Legazpi and Datu Sikatuna (chieftain of Bohol) on March 16, 1565
Considered as a treaty of friendship between the Spanish and Filipinos.

Michael Parnham
4th February 2013, 21:44
Been to Bohol quite a few times, I would think its one of the best islands to visit in the Philippines Dave!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
4th February 2013, 21:53
Been to Bohol quite a few times, I would think its one of the best islands to visit in the Philippines Dave!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Me too Michael :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2013, 22:26
Anyone been to Anda in the South East corner of Bohol, yet? I wanted to go but couldn't fit it in.

And Bohol is home to the world's biggest python in captivity.

Someone's ate all the pies. :icon_lol:

http://www.roam-travel.com/gallery/cache/bohol/places-to-see/bohol-python-6-640x480-_595.jpg

BRIAN WEBSTER
4th February 2013, 22:53
7797 do you like snakes ? hey my wife found this in our garden a couple of months ago ? do you have any idea what it is ? it was about 2.5 mtr long !!!!

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2013, 22:58
7797 do you like snakes ? hey my wife found this in our garden a couple of months ago ? do you have any idea what it is ? it was about 2.5 mtr long !!!!Is that pic taken in the Phils?

BRIAN WEBSTER
4th February 2013, 23:01
yes its in cagayan de oro sadly i wasnt there to see it but my wife posted a few pic's ? :yikes: not good when you got a 3 year old boy running round garden :omg:

Ako Si Jamie
4th February 2013, 23:09
It's a Samar Cobra I believe.

BRIAN WEBSTER
4th February 2013, 23:16
it dont sound like a nice snake !!! to think i sit there at night having a smoke :yikes: i think i will be smoking in front garden from now on lol but thanks to local builders who came to my wifes rescue and took it out makes me feel better :cwm25:

fred
5th February 2013, 02:16
Alona is OK but far from my favorite beach on Panglao.. The fish sold there is not always fresh and is VERY expensive. Actually its a diabolical rip off..
Far better value (with fresh seafood)at Dumaluan public beach which is just next door to Bohol beach club.., The beach there is far superior in compared to Alona IMO.
There are other beaches that we use but not something I like to advertise too much!!
For much more detailed tourist information over lots of ice cold SMB ask for Mike at Bingag sports bar!!
http://www.bingagsportsbar.com/

DaveW
5th February 2013, 19:17
Thanks everyone. Just booked the flight to Tagbilaran then fly to Caticlan from Cebu 8 days later.
Gonna have couple nights in Cebu also. Anything worth doing there?

Ako Si Jamie
5th February 2013, 20:20
Thanks everyone. Just booked the flight to Tagbilaran then fly to Caticlan from Cebu 8 days later.
Gonna have couple nights in Cebu also. Anything worth doing there?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N0k1Sdj2qI
:cwm24::cwm24::cwm24:

Jamesey
5th February 2013, 22:08
I've not been to Cebu for a few years, but I used to spend a lot of time there. There's definitely plenty to see and do for a few days. In addition to all the malls, restaurants, bars, etc. you could visit the following things:
Casa Gorodo
Taoist Temple
Osmena museum
Magellan's shrine
Mactan resorts (although the beaches are man made)
Tops (go at night for a great view)
The big church / cathedral St Nino

tanga
9th February 2013, 06:04
Anyone been to Anda in the South East corner of Bohol, yet? I wanted to go but couldn't fit it in.

And Bohol is home to the world's biggest python in captivity.

Someone's ate all the pies. :icon_lol:

http://www.roam-travel.com/gallery/cache/bohol/places-to-see/bohol-python-6-640x480-_595.jpg

I have been to Anda twice. There are a few good resorts now as the area is being developed around the white sand beach area. A great side trip is by ferry from Jagna nearby over to Camuigin Island where there are some decent resorts and its much less "touristy"
Panglao is becoming more like Boracay now,overdeveloped and expensive,I expect the menus and signs will soon be in Korean

stevewool
9th February 2013, 08:42
all sounds wonderful to me, Bohol, i wonder why i think its the place to settle down:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
9th February 2013, 09:28
I have been to Anda twice. There are a few good resorts now as the area is being developed around the white sand beach area. A great side trip is by ferry from Jagna nearby over to Camuigin Island where there are some decent resorts and its much less "touristy"
Panglao is becoming more like Boracay now,overdeveloped and expensive,I expect the menus and signs will soon be in KoreanYeah, we were actually contemplating doing Cebu -Panglao Island - Anda, then Camiguin via Jagna and back to Cebu at first but we decided on Bacolod, Sipalay, Dumaguete, Siquijor & Panglao Island. Maybe next time. :smile: