PDA

View Full Version : N P A attack kills 10 people

tiger31
28th January 2013, 13:11
i,m beginning to wonder if moving to bacolod was a good idea .First of all i,m getting lots of powercuts ,and now 10 people were killed in an ambush 50 miles away from me .I had no idea the NPA were active in this area or I would have second thoughts about moving here.One policeman and 9 ordinary workers gunned down ,so anybody thinking of retireng here just remember its not all rose coloured glasses this country still has many problems that need dealing with .

jake
28th January 2013, 13:36
Why would the NPA being active in the area affect you? Dont know the stastics but i dont think they have harmed many foreigners.

tiger31
28th January 2013, 13:48
well jake it could happen to foreigners its not just the npa but lots of other militant groups out there to worry about ,all with different agendas I felt quite safe in cebu but out here in the sticks your a bit more open to attack .

jake
28th January 2013, 14:00
well jake it could happen to foreigners its not just the npa but lots of other militant groups out there to worry about ,all with different agendas I felt quite safe in cebu but out here in the sticks your a bit more open to attack .

Tiger... i have lived in the sticks for 14 years and stayed in the sticks long before that. The militant groups are probably the least of my worries. Somebody in a official uniform might scare me more. Unless you are living in certain muslim held areas it is very unlikely that a militant group will attack you. The NPA might ask you for a couple of kilos of rice and canned goods if they are passing by.

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 14:25
When I lived in the province the NPA were active VERY nearby, in fact we'd sometimes have a helicopter gunship fly low overhead on its way to strafing them.:cwm24:

However, because some of the family were actually IN the NPA, and I was a known and identified 'friendly', there was no problem me going where I pleased without fear of molestation. In fact my British friend who also lived there and was married into the same family sometimes had drinking sessions with them and had visited their camp in the mountains.

Mostly they are ordinary local people who work a sort of 'shift' arrangement, going up into the mountains for a week or two.

Obviously they need to be respected though.

jake
28th January 2013, 14:49
Just ordinary people is about the best way to describe them. They still have wide support from the people living in the 'sticks'.
As long as a foreigner isn't doing anything wrong they shouldn't have anything to worry about.

fred
28th January 2013, 15:17
I lived in tigaon in Bicol for a while back when Marcos was president..An NPA stronghold.
I was the only foreigner in town and never once had a problem.
Actually thats not true.. I was investigated by the NBI as a suspected Communist!!
Move to Bohol man!! We get very few brownouts and the NPA must have evacuated as I have never heard a peep out of them..
If you aint happy there...Move!! IMO.

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 16:40
I was living in deepest Bicol too Fred...wasn't even a road to the town then, just the railway passing close by. :smile:

Hmm...dinner. Will it fit in my bum bag though ? :Erm:

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2113/withmonitorlizardinraga.jpg

fred
28th January 2013, 17:48
The buggers cooked one of those up for polutan once during one of our drinking sessions.. They said it tasted like chicken..and it did..
Next morning though my guts were in absolute agony..
They tried to insinuate that perhaps I had drank too much!!!
Cheeky little bleeders!!

grahamw48
28th January 2013, 18:26
Oh we were eating that a couple of hours later Fred. :biggrin:

Yes, it does taste sort of like chicken, and no ill-effects with that one.

I had already given up on drinking (and playing cards) with the male relatives the day after the ex and her mother had to literally drag my semi-conscious body up the stairs to the bed. :Cuckoo: :NoNo:

angellegwen
29th January 2013, 11:27
lol maybe you drink the coconut wine "tuba"

grahamw48
29th January 2013, 11:34
You got it...and Gin. :NoNo:

lordna
29th January 2013, 12:32
lol maybe you drink the coconut wine "tuba"

Nothing wrong with Tuba.....wish i could get some here in the uk!

fred
29th January 2013, 15:31
Nothing wrong with Tuba.....wish i could get some here in the uk!

i used to drink Tuba up to one hour after it was delivered fresh.. after that the flies were just unbearable.
Time to call it a day.

malditako
30th January 2013, 15:32
NPA are always being blamed whenever theres a shout out...its a normal scenario. Who cares about the truth. NPA's are everywhere they are just like normal civilian living a normal life. They doesn't cause any harm to normal people, never ever harm a foreigner!...in our province locals support them basically.