PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Transforming Apartment

raynaputi
21st January 2013, 16:09
XYV0qATsyts

Video transcript:

In 2010, we met Graham Hill- the founder of treehugger.com and a serial entrepreneur. He had just bought two tiny apartments in a century-old tenement building in Soho and he had plans to turn them into laboratories, and showcases, for tiny living. He'd spent most of the past year living in tiny spaces- "a tiny trailer, a tent, and then a boat" and he was convinced others would love it as much if small spaces could be designed right.

He wanted a tiny space that didn't sacrifice function, but instead that would expand to provide a wish list including dinner parties for 12, accommodations for 2 overnight guests, a home office and a home theater with digital projector. Not wanting to limit himself to local architects, he crowdsourced the design as a competition and received 300 entries from all over the world. Two Romanian architecture students won with their design "One Size Fits All".

Completed in 2012, his LifeEdited apartment doesn't resemble the cramped space we saw in 2010. Today the 420-square-foot space can be expanded to include the functionality of 1,100 square feet: walls, drawers and beds move and unfold to create 6 rooms: living room, dining room, office, guest office, master bedroom and guest bedroom. If you include the kitchen and the bathroom which morphs into a phone booth or meditation room, the apartment includes 10 total rooms.

---

This would cost a lot but it's a great idea if you already have the same apartment space. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
21st January 2013, 19:55
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ideal for cramming all the Romanians and Bulgarians when they come :icon_lol:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

raynaputi
21st January 2013, 21:15
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ideal for cramming all the Romanians and Bulgarians when they come :icon_lol:

:xxparty-smiley-004:

You're probably right there Joe! :doh :icon_lol:

Terpe
21st January 2013, 21:52
That's a cool video clip.
In many ways it reminded me of our apartment in Yokohama. That was also multi-modular with lots of fold away/hide away stuff.
It was a very small apartment, but just like a 'tardis'

The bathroom was basically a one-piece moulding incorporating washbasin, CR, Japanese style bath/Shower. the whole room completely waterproof but with loads of built in waterproof storage.

I just loved that style of living :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
21st January 2013, 22:46
You can adjust to it....and I actually prefer it, as a single man. Not so much housework to do :icon_lol: and lower heating bills.

Reminds me of when I lived in Chungking Mansions in Hong Kong, and decided to have the luxury of my own ROOM as opposed to sharing a dorm with 6 other guys. This was because I was starting continental shifts.

Now as in Japan, land is at a premium in HK and most 'normal' apartments are tiny anyway.

My little room was actually smaller than my current bathroom , and was really designed to accommodate TWO people, there being bunk beds in place. :cwm24:

It only measured 5' wide x 8' in length, with a tiny window opposite the bed.

I spent a very happy 6 months living in that space, though admittedly only for sleeping and reading etc. :smile: Seemed like luxury after sharing a dorm for the previous year. :icon_lol:

Terpe
21st January 2013, 22:54
We had two rooms around 8ftx8ft
A kitchen area with cooker sink unit
Hide away fridge freezer which turned through 180 deg to expose the washer/drier plus the bathroom
There was an entrance vestibule which was quite large and also used to store shoes and to change into the indoor slippers

Happy days, and yes very easy to keep clean and tidy

imagine
22nd January 2013, 00:17
Thats Cool:xxgrinning--00xx3: