PDA

View Full Version : Philippine medical system sucks.

keith britten
13th January 2013, 10:20
I'm just experiencing the Philippine medical system, my father in law is sick in hospital, he's been there 6 days and is not showing any improvement. I'm not a qualified medical practitioner but what I see is just a money making factory. Every thing has to be paid for up front, we have to buy our own blood if we can find it or bribe someone to donate then there is no guarantee that the blood is good. I'd advise all British subjects that if they get sick buy an air ticket back to the uk, it will be a lot cheaper and you will probably live longer.

Tawi2
13th January 2013, 10:51
I can sense your frustration keith,hope your father-in-law recovers,like yourself I have visited relatives in Dabaw hospitals and like yourself I have paid bills,just one of those things,its their system,paradise has thorns.

Terpe
13th January 2013, 11:00
.... I'd advise all British subjects that if they get sick buy an air ticket back to the uk, it will be a lot cheaper and you will probably live longer.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing.

I've experienced exactly the same with my bro-in-law last year so I fully understand.

Concerning jumping on a plane to UK for medical treatment, there are some horror stories about that too.
Strictly speaking after 3 months away from UK your entitlement to free NHS treatment is in doubt. Even if you find a way to secure free treatment, you would have to repay all costs if you decide to return to Phils.

Up to date information about eligibility for free NHS treatment can be found in the publication Guidance On Implementing The Overseas Visitors Hospital Charging Regulations (https://www.wp.dh.gov.uk/publications/files/2012/10/GUIDANCE-October-2012-FINAL.pdf)

This is highly recommended reading for all those thinking about relocating and also thinking the NHS is their back-up.

stevewool
13th January 2013, 11:13
i too am sorry to hear about your news, just goes to show we all need that back up in cash just for the rainy days ahead, what about this phil health package people keep saying about have they got something like that,

stevewool
13th January 2013, 11:16
Concerning jumping on a plane to UK for medical treatment, there are some horror stories about that too.
Strictly speaking after 3 months away from UK your entitlement to free NHS treatment is in doubt. Even if you find a way to secure free treatment, you would have to repay all costs if you decide to return to Phils.

Up to date information about eligibility for free NHS treatment can be found in the publication Guidance On Implementing The Overseas Visitors Hospital Charging Regulations (https://www.wp.dh.gov.uk/publications/files/2012/10/GUIDANCE-October-2012-FINAL.pdf)

This is highly recommended reading for all those thinking about relocating and also thinking the NHS is their back-up.

90 pages Peter i shall read that another day

Terpe
13th January 2013, 11:31
....just goes to show we all need that back up in cash just for the rainy days ahead.....

Yep, nothing against that. Unfortunately it's just too simplistic and unstrutuctured.
How much cash? what's the cap?
I have more than a couple of friends who have returned to UK virtually penniless after spending all their savings on medical issues so the wife would end with nothing in a worst case outcome.

I'm sure we've all heard the stories of those couples where one spouse could not return to UK as ILR had lapsed and no British Citizenship.

My own view is that a multi-structured approach to healthcare needs to be considered. Probably with some pretty strict agreed guidelines on the use of cash/credit cards.

A friend of ours needed a heart operation followed by pacemaker fitted.
As I recall it cost around P1mill from begining to end.
He was told it will need to be replaced in 5 years.

I've told my wife to be sure she gets a shovel and a box :biggrin:

Terpe
13th January 2013, 11:37
90 pages Peter i shall read that another day

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You need only read the first three short paragraphs:-

1.1 This guidance concerns what should happen when a person who is not ordinarily resident in the UK needs NHS treatment provided by a hospital in England. Such a person will be subject to the National Health Service (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 2011, as amended (the “Charging Regulations”). A person who is not ‘ordinarily resident’ in the
UK falls within the definition of an overseas visitor (regulation 2) and may incur a charge for treatment.

1.2 ‘Ordinary residence’ means, broadly, living in the UK on a lawful, voluntary and properly settled basis for the time being. It is defined in detail at paragraphs 3.4 to 3.16. A person who is not ordinarily resident in this country at the time of treatment is not automatically entitled to NHS hospital treatment free of charge. A person who is ordinarily resident is not subjected to this charging regime.

1.3 A person does not become ordinarily resident in the UK simply by: having British nationality; holding a British passport; being registered with a GP; having an NHS number; owning property in the UK, or having paid (or currently paying) National Insurance contributions and taxes in this country. Whether a person is ordinarily resident is a question of fact, for which a number of factors are taken into account.

stevewool
13th January 2013, 11:39
there is no limit to what we could spend, the limit like you have said is what we can afford, who knows what the future holds for us all, but let it stay in the future for now and just try to prepare for it

stevewool
13th January 2013, 11:42
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You need only read the first three short paragraphs:-

wow having just read quicky there is that many different ways of reading this and how its understood,i think best of all is to borrow that spade if needed from the other comment of yours

raynaputi
13th January 2013, 11:45
That's why Keith can't move to the Philippines, as he needs the NHS here and the cost of everything would be 2x or 3x in the Philippines.

Michael Parnham
13th January 2013, 12:33
This is one of the reasons I came back to the UK :wink:

mickmyrna
13th January 2013, 13:28
Yep, nothing against that. Unfortunately it's just too simplistic and unstrutuctured.
How much cash? what's the cap?
I have more than a couple of friends who have returned to UK virtually penniless after spending all their savings on medical issues so the wife would end with nothing in a worst case outcome.

I'm sure we've all heard the stories of those couples where one spouse could not renturn to UK as ILR had lapsed and no British Citizenship.

My own view is that a multi-structured approach to healthcare needs to be considered. Probably with some pretty strict agreed guidelines on the use of cash/credit cards.

A friend of ours needed a heart operation followed by pacemaker fitted.
As I recall it cost around P1mill from begining to end.
He was told it will need to be replaced in 5 years.

I've told my wife to be sure she gets a shovel and a box :biggrin:

Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone knows if a spouse who has ILR here in the UK can return back to the UK after moving back to the Philippines? I plan to retire there within the next 4 years with my wife, Myrna; we are applying for ILR later this year but we are not planning on applying for British citizenship as were going back to Cebu so soon, and i dont think its worth the extra expense. Does anyone know if she can return with me to the UK for a holiday, if so is there a time limit for her returning here? Thanks in advance for any replies! Mick :xxgrinning--:Wave:

jake
13th January 2013, 13:28
i too am sorry to hear about your news, just goes to show we all need that back up in cash just for the rainy days ahead, what about this phil health package people keep saying about have they got something like that,

The problem with Philhealth is it will only pay a small percentage of the actual bill. You will also have to pay up front then claim the money back at a later date.

Terpe
13th January 2013, 13:39
Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone knows if a spouse who has ILR here in the UK can return back to the UK after moving back to the Philippines? I plan to retire there within the next 4 years with my wife, Myrna; we are applying for ILR later this year but we are not planning on applying for British citizenship as were going back to Cebu so soon, and i dont think its worth the extra expense. Does anyone know if she can return with me to the UK for a holiday, if so is there a time limit for her returning here? Thanks in advance for any replies! Mick :xxgrinning--:Wave:

If she's out of UK for more than 2 years she'll lose the ILR and will not be able to return to the UK without making an application for a visa.

If you can find a way, why not get that British Citizenship and passport.
Following that route she'd need to re-acquire Philippine Citizenship.
It may be an expensive pain but there are advantages.
We don't know what's waiting for us round life's corner.

jake
13th January 2013, 13:44
I'm just experiencing the Philippine medical system, my father in law is sick in hospital, hes been there 6 days and is not showing any improvement. I'm not a qualified medical practitioner but what I see is just a money making factory. Every thing has to be paid for up front, we have to buy our own blood if we can find it or bribe someone to donate then there is no guarantee that the blood is good. I'd advise all British subjects that if they get sick buy an air ticket back to the uk, it will be a lot cheaper and you will probably live longer.

I can understand you frustration and hopefully he will get better. The hospitals have very little government funding and its not always their fault that things like blood, medicine etc are not readily available.
Ask your wifes family to speak to the local mayor, congressman , governor as they may help out with some of the medical costs as it will soon be election time. Sad but true.
Its not just the Philippines that has a bad medical system. A lot of countries do.
Don't knock the NHS as you guys are lucky to have such a system

mickmyrna
13th January 2013, 13:51
If she's out of UK for more than 2 years she'll lose the ILR and will not be able to return to the UK without making an application for a visa.

Thank you for your swift reply Terpe! We'll consider your suggestion.......:smile:

grahamw48
13th January 2013, 14:01
Definitely worth waiting for British Citizenship for your wife.

'Act in haste repent at leisure' etc.

So many of my past mistakes have been due to impatience and not properly considering alternatives and consequences. :NoNo:

bigmarco
13th January 2013, 14:02

I'm not so sure that cash is the answer. Judging by our own recent experiences with my Tatay and other horror stories you hear about it doesn't matter how much money you have the knowledge and expertise doesn't appear to be as freely available as it is here.
This for me is a major stumbling block in retiring to the Philippines.

joebloggs
13th January 2013, 14:09
sorry to hear about your father in law, have you any idea whats wrong with him, is he in a government hospital ?

jake
13th January 2013, 14:48
I'm not so sure that cash is the answer. Judging by our own recent experiences with my Tatay and other horror stories you hear about it doesn't matter how much money you have the knowledge and expertise doesn't appear to be as freely available as it is here.

That is not necessarily true. There are some very good doctors here in the Philippines. My kids pediatrician is much better than the deaf half blind doctor that i used to go to when i was a kid.
Cash does help as you will probably receive better service. I know that may not sound right to some of you but at the end of the day it is a business like any other.
At some point in my life i will probably need hospital treatment and it doesn't bother me that it will be in a Philippine hospital. Yes it will be private that's why we have money set aside.

stevewool
13th January 2013, 14:58

thats the way to do it:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
13th January 2013, 15:06

its the only answer i have at this moment in time, i know i will not be here in england so umless i come into a lot of cash, the phils will be my future home and with some savings too

mickmyrna
13th January 2013, 15:26
Definitely worth waiting for British Citizenship for your wife.

'Act in haste repent at leisure' etc.

So many of my past mistakes have been due to impatience and not properly considering alternatives and consequences. :NoNo:

Thanks for your input Graham! Yes, its something to consider.....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
13th January 2013, 15:44
A-MEN to that,its only when you actually need medical care and you have to pay through the nose for it that people remember the good old NHS back in blighty,theres a pinay living not a million miles away from Heathrow,10-maybe 12 years ago her mum and dad got a visa to visit her(there was an ulterior motive I always thought)long story short her dad had health problems when he was here,needed heart surgery,the last time I saw her her parents had gotten a visa extension as her dad was receiving hospital treatment,free-gratis and for nothing,its the old NHS tourism,it attracted people from around the world.

stevewool
13th January 2013, 16:08
how long before it will be a pay as you go NHS here, something to think about

Doc Alan
13th January 2013, 19:47
I’m sorry to read about your father in law. You may not wish to say which hospital he is in, or what is wrong with him, if indeed a diagnosis has been made.

I’m also sorry that you see ( the hospital as ) a money-making factory.

The vast majority of healthcare workers – doctors, dentists, nurses, and others – are dedicated, and work hard, wherever they may be. All aspects of good health care are based on evidence, not opinions. There are systems to prevent unnecessary or unproven tests and treatment - because they all require payment, directly or indirectly. As in any walk of life, there may be corruption, with “ rogue “ healthcare workers – but preventing and treating illness is not, and can never be, purely a " money-making factory " .

Health care in the Philippines does – overall – compare unfavourably with that in the UK. However, it varies from high class, equivalent to the UK, to non-existent in many rural municipalities. There are relatively far fewer doctors in the Philippines, who can earn far more abroad, and more than half of Filipinos who fall ill die without ever seeing a doctor. Life expectancy, with other measures of health, is indeed less - by about a decade. Much of health spending is still “ out of pocket “ ( if it can be afforded ), although insurance schemes ( like PhilHealth ) do provide limited cover.

This is not to say authorities are doing nothing about the situation. Resources are, however, limited by “ Western “ standards. Health expenditure in the Philippines is a smaller proportion of GDP ( itself less ) than in UK. Passing the Reproductive Health Bill would be a massive step in the right direction. Improving health workers' pay would be another.

Universal health coverage, with less “ out of pocket “ spending, is recognised to be the ideal in the Philippines, as elsewhere, but is an aim which has yet to be achieved.

Most countries seek to collect and manage funding of health care through “ risk pooling “, so that the ( unpredictable ) costs of illness do not need to be met by that person alone. Paying out of pocket is still, sadly, dominant worldwide – but many countries are moving towards universal health coverage. The Philippines aims to do this through taxation, subsidies for target populations, and collecting “ voluntary premiums “ from households.

The UK NHS will continue to be largely funded through taxation and be “ free at the point of use “. Expensive reforms in England, due to take place this year, will make little obvious difference to patients. It is imperfect, varies from one area to another, and faces austerity in the next decade. “ Lifestyle choices “ – such as smoking, eating, drinking alcohol, and exercise - obviously contribute much to its cost, but the principal remains that treatment is by and large freely available ( whatever the true cost, or provider ).

The cost to the UK public for dental treatment is the result of a contract imposed by the Government on dentists, whereby they can in many cases only provide good treatment privately – what they do is still evidence-based.

Most visitors to the Philippines from the UK – and elsewhere – have no serious health problems. Comprehensive insurance – only valid if relevant precautions such as vaccinations and medications are taken – is obviously vital. The same applies if living in the Philippines. Adequate insurance would cover repatriation to the UK if necessary.

These topics have had more detailed coverage in the Health Section of the forum. I’m sure all members would wish the best for your father in law, and also Marco's father-in-law.

Arthur Little
13th January 2013, 23:37

:iagree: ... we're FORTUNATE, indeed!!!

jonnijon
13th January 2013, 23:42
Phil Health is like anything, the more you pay every month the more you get. And the same with your SS payments.

Arthur Little
13th January 2013, 23:47
That's why Keith can't move to the Philippines, as he needs the NHS here and the cost of everything would be 2x or 3x in the Philippines.

Likewise! :icon_rolleyes: Aside from family commitments ... there's the fact that I'm diabetic to consider.

bigmarco
13th January 2013, 23:48
sorry to hear about your father in law, have you any idea whats wrong with him, is he in a government hospital ?

Not really Joe. His heart was enlarged and he apparently had some liver problems and lost quite a bit of weight. He was in MCU which I understand is a private hospital. When I was over he wasn't looking the best when I arrived but after we got all his meds for him he seemed to improve and actually looked a lot better when I was coming home.
It's just the whole no money no treatment that annoys you and makes you appreciate how good we have it here. Also the fact you have to pay for blood.
It seems that his problem has returned in some form this last few days so we are just waiting to hear what's happening.

Arthur Little
14th January 2013, 00:02
I’m sure all members would wish the best for your father in law.

Indeed, we would, Alan ... all the very BEST for the speedy recoveries of BOTH Marco's AND Keith Britten's respective fathers-in-law. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
14th January 2013, 00:25
The costs I know from experience are astronomical as my wife was treated for severe morning sickness early in her pregnancy 47k pesos in private hospital for 4 days treatment, she was so worried at the time her own life was risk by refusing to be admitted only for my intervention and agreeing to settle the hospital bill directly:ReadIt:

malditako
14th January 2013, 07:42
MCU hospital is quite good but very expensive....private hospitals are for businesss so expect the no pay no treatment as they have so many experiences before where a patient cannot afford to pay their bills at the end of the treatment. You've got to pay all the medicines, laboratory etc beforehand but if you got referral and guaranteed by your own doctor you dont need to pay upfront.

malditako
14th January 2013, 07:44
The costs I know from experience are astronomical as my wife was treated for severe morning sickness early in her pregnancy 47k pesos in private hospital for 4 days treatment, she was so worried at the time her own life was risk by refusing to be admitted only for my intervention and agreeing to settle the hospital bill directly:ReadIt:

thats nearly the total cost of my ceasarian operation.

sars_notd_virus
14th January 2013, 10:28
she was so worried at the time her own life was risk by refusing to be admitted only for my intervention and agreeing to settle the hospital bill directly:ReadIt:

http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra1997/ra_8344_1997.html

This is not right , the hospital or any medical practitioner is violationg the R.A. 8344 and should be penalized...your wife should know this as she is a citizen of the Phiippines and she should know her rights.

IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OF REPUBLIC ACT NO. 8344,

OTHERWISE KNOWN AS "AN ACT PENALIZING THE REFUSAL OF HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CLINICS TO ADMINISTER APPROPRIATE INITIAL MEDICAL TREATMENT AND SUPPORT IN EMERGENCY OR SERIOUS CASES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE BATAS PAMBANSA BILANG 702, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS AN ACT PROHIBITING THE DEMAND OF DEPOSITS OR ADVANCE PAYMENTS FOR THE CONFINEMENT OR TREATMENT OF PATIENTS IN HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CLINICS IN CERTAIN CASES"

sars_notd_virus
14th January 2013, 10:54
Philippine medical system sucks.

I'm just experiencing the Philippine medical system, my father in law is sick in hospital, he's been there 6 days and is not showing any improvement. I'm not a qualified medical practitioner but what I see is just a money making factory. Every thing has to be paid for up front, we have to buy our own blood if we can find it or bribe someone to donate then there is no guarantee that the blood is good. I'd advise all British subjects that if they get sick buy an air ticket back to the uk, it will be a lot cheaper and you will probably live longer.

I dont agree that Philippine medical system sucks!!! we have the finest doctors, surgeons , dentist etc...the only problem with people is that they only register and get health cards when they feel very sick,..what i can advice to all british out there who want to settle in the philippines is that get a health card just or before you set your foot in the PH,theres nothing wrong in paying for it and dont use it than run around in circles once you need it....btw, if some of you say that the NHS is free here its not(we pay for it through our taxes/we pay for prescriptions), its only free at the point of delivery.

mickmyrna
14th January 2013, 15:21
I dont agree that Philippine medical system sucks!!! we have the finest doctors, surgeons , dentist etc...the only problem with people is that they only register and get health cards when they feel very sick,..what i can advice to all british out there who want to settle in the philippines is that get a health card just or before you set your foot in the PH,theres nothing wrong in paying for it and dont use it than run around in circles once you need it....btw, if some of you say that the NHS is free here its not(we pay for it through our taxes/we pay for prescriptions), its only free at the point of delivery.

Yeah thats right , NHS is not free because i've been to the doctors last monday and i paid £15.30 for two prescriptions ... Myrna

malditako
14th January 2013, 18:40
Not really Joe. His heart was enlarged and he apparently had some liver problems and lost quite a bit of weight. He was in MCU which I understand is a private hospital. When I was over he wasn't looking the best when I arrived but after we got all his meds for him he seemed to improve and actually looked a lot better when I was coming home.
It's just the whole no money no treatment that annoys you and makes you appreciate how good we have it here. Also the fact you have to pay for blood.
It seems that his problem has returned in some form this last few days so we are just waiting to hear what's happening.

if he's got heart problems and wants to see a specialist its worth going to philippine heart center in quenzon city. Though its not absolutely free there are some NGO's there that help penniless patients with their bills.

joebloggs
14th January 2013, 21:48
Yeah thats right , NHS is not free because i've been to the doctors last monday and i paid £15.30 for two prescriptions ... Myrna

no its paid for out of our taxes, but better paying what we pay than the £1000s you would need to pay to go private :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
14th January 2013, 22:13
no its paid for out of our taxes, but better paying what we pay than the £1000s you would need to pay to go private :xxgrinning--00xx3:

thats right , its not free, because we pay for it with our taxes,

its only free to some in the free sense of the word

Michael Parnham
14th January 2013, 22:19
NHS is the best healthcare system in the world, don't knock it, because if you lived in any other country you would soon think differently! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jonnijon
14th January 2013, 23:17
Regional hospitals in the Philippines you only pay for medicine not the treatment.

keith britten
15th January 2013, 03:27
Regulation 23(a) – UK state pensioners
3.98 UK state pensioners who have lived lawfully in the UK, or been employed by the UK
government, for ten continuous years at some point are exempt from charges for treatment
the need for which arises during the visit to the UK. This is regardless of where they are
now residing, how long each year they reside there or if they have registered as resident
there.
Examples of evidence:
- (a) confirmation in receipt of UK state pension (not private or occupational pension) –
e.g. pension slip, pink form BR 464, confirmation from DWP; and
- (b) proof of ten years continuous residence e.g. previous job, schools attended,
previous address(es).
3.99 This exemption extends to their spouse/civil partner and/or dependent children if they are
lawfully present on a permanent basis with the UK state pensioner whilst the UK state
pensioner is visiting the UK.
3.100 See also regulation 16, which also concerns UK state pension holders, to see if it applies
for planned treatment. UK state pensioners living in other EEA members states may also
qualify for free treatment under EU Regulations – see regulation 9.

jake
15th January 2013, 03:49
Regulation 23(a) – UK state pensioners
3.98 UK state pensioners who have lived lawfully in the UK, or been employed by the UK
government, for ten continuous years at some point are exempt from charges for treatment
the need for which arises during the visit to the UK. This is regardless of where they are
now residing, how long each year they reside there or if they have registered as resident
there.
Examples of evidence:
- (a) confirmation in receipt of UK state pension (not private or occupational pension) –
e.g. pension slip, pink form BR 464, confirmation from DWP; and
- (b) proof of ten years continuous residence e.g. previous job, schools attended,
previous address(es).
3.99 This exemption extends to their spouse/civil partner and/or dependent children if they are
lawfully present on a permanent basis with the UK state pensioner whilst the UK state
pensioner is visiting the UK.
3.100 See also regulation 16, which also concerns UK state pension holders, to see if it applies
for planned treatment. UK state pensioners living in other EEA members states may also
qualify for free treatment under EU Regulations – see regulation 9.

How's your father in law? If you can give us a bit information maybe someone will have some answers that might help.
There are some good hospitals here in the Philippines.

keith britten
15th January 2013, 04:36
Hi Jake,Thanks for asking, I thought this post had got side tracked to other issues. He's still not good, I don't want to give to much info on here which may predudice his "treatment". He's got serious trouble with his blood platelet level and so far the docs haven't managed to correct it by giving him whole blood transfusions. Getting the blood is another problem, my wife was waiting for 4 hours at the Red Cross last night.

jake
15th January 2013, 07:34
Hi Jake,Thanks for asking,I thought this post had got side tracked to other issues. He's still not good, I don't want to give to much info on here which may predudice his "treatment". He's got serious trouble with his blood platelet level and so far the docs have'nt managed to correct it by giving him whole blood transfusions. Getting the blood is another problem, my wife was waiting for 4 hours at the Red Cross last night.

Sorry to hear that.
The posts do get side tracked sometimes and we are all guilty of doing that at some point. Im quite a new member as well and have found the vast majority of people on this forum are good people who will help if they can.

The reason i asked for more information was maybe somebody on this forum might be from the area your are based. They may have some valuable local knowledge that could help with your father in laws case.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

keith britten
15th January 2013, 09:24
Thanks for you best wishes Jake. This is a good site, I gained a lot of valuable information before I came to live here.

BoholoX
15th January 2013, 10:02
Hi Keith

Sorry to hear of your problems.

If you havent found it a forum called Living in Cebu has a network of mainly expats who are willing to donate blood, mainly in Cebu obviously but they do have Davao members. maybe worth a try?

raynaputi
15th January 2013, 11:16
From previous experience from friends and their families, Red Cross accepts blood donations (regardless of blood types) as replacement (or as payment? not much sure about this) for the blood that the patient needs. Some friends had requested our group of friends to donate blood when a family member was sick. I think Red Cross do this to have stocks available as much as possible.

mickmyrna
15th January 2013, 12:01

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickmyrna
15th January 2013, 12:01
thats right , its not free, because we pay for it with our taxes,

its only free to some in the free sense of the word

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
15th January 2013, 14:38
NHS is the best healthcare system in the world, don't knock it, because if you lived in any other country you would soon think differently! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My Father had a feeling in his arm that a stroke was coming on..He knew this because he had 2 minor strokes before.. We took him to the NHS hospital in North London where he had the full stroke whilst waiting in line in a cold damp waiting room.. The stupid nurse called the guy two places in front of him..If they had prioritized him 20 mins earlier then things may not have gone so badly for him... The people in the Queue protested and he was then admitted in their turn..
I went to visit him daily and had to watch the nurses giving him coffee when there was a big sign at the end of his bed... NIL BY MOUTH.
He died not long after and I blame the NHS..
Wish we had the money at the time to go private.:cwm23:

imagine
15th January 2013, 15:15
wishing Marco and Keith Britten's fathers-in-laws a quick recovery back to health

fred
15th January 2013, 15:49
Also a year before I left Britain I was backended in my van (I was going 40 MPH) by a Mercedes Sprinter fully loaded going 90.
Bad accident and I was unconscious for 20 mins when they cut open my crushed vehicle on the A1 M.
They stuck me on a rigid board and into the ambulance and then to Lister Hospital.. I was wheeled into a corridor where I stayed waited 2 hours for an Xray.. They didnt even give me a pain killer!! Had the X ray and waited strapped to board for another hour before being advised that the Xray was of bad quality and I was now in a NEW queue to get have another one done.. An hour and 30 mins later... Pain was unbearable... After all that the Doc said I should stay in over night for observation.. I told him to piss off!!!! I went home..
The taxi driver asked me if I was the guy that caused the tail back from Hitchin to London.. Yes..I said.
You can keep the NHS.. Id rather go private.

grahamw48
15th January 2013, 19:21
In 2004 my dad suffered a brain hemorrhage/stroke. He was 81, but otherwise fit and in good health...non-smoker non-drinker. Both of his parents had lived beyond their mid-eighties and died of 'old age'.

He was taken to the small local hospital, where I went immediately to be at his side. He was unconscious and continually fitting. It was horrible.

I asked the doctors why he couldn't be taken to the main hospital about 20 miles away (where he could have had the pressure on his brain relieved), and the doctor told me that because of his age and that he had a heart murmur, it would probably be a waste of time. :NoNo:

He died, seemngly in agony, a few hours later, me still holding his hand.

keith britten
16th January 2013, 03:23
Hi Keith

Sorry to hear of your problems.

If you havent found it a forum called Living in Cebu has a network of mainly expats who are willing to donate blood, mainly in Cebu obviously but they do have Davao members. maybe worth a try?

Thanks, I have used this Cebu site before, they are very helpfull. However, blood supply is only one problem,in my opinion we need a doc who knows what he's doing.My father in law has been in the hospital for 9 days now and there is very little improvement in his condition. My wife has been with him all the time and running around every where to find blood and buy his medication. Iwish that I could be there to support her but I'm affraid if I go there and they see that their is a westoner in the family the charges would proberly double.

jake
16th January 2013, 08:37
Thanks, I have used this Cebu site before, they are very helpfull. However, blood supply is only one problem,in my opinion we need a doc who knows what he's doing.My father in law has been in the hospital for 9 days now and there is very little improvement in his condition. My wife has been with him all the time and running around every where to find blood and buy his medication. Iwish that I could be there to support her but I'm affraid if I go there and they see that their is a westoner in the family the charges would proberly double.

Sorry to hear there hasn't been much improvement.
I don't know the hospitals or doctors in your area so i cant recommend anybody. You should go there and give your wife some support as im sure it would help her a lot.
Personally i don't think the bill will double if you go there. If anything it might help your father in law get better treatment because you are a foreigner. If you do go be polite to everybody even if some of the things are :censored: you off.

Is he in a government or private hospital? I know both seem private as you pay either way:icon_rolleyes:

Michael Parnham
16th January 2013, 09:45
Sorry to hear of anyone's bad experiences with NHS or any other health service, I assure you I do not mean to offend or disregard any other members personal experiances, I can only speak of my past relationship with any hospital that I have had dealings with, and up to now I have no complaints at all, and have a lot to thank the NHS for.

Doc Alan
16th January 2013, 10:51
As the only qualified medical practitioner regularly contributing to the forum – but, like other members, not making money out of the time given – I have already expressed sympathy for the two fathers-in-law whose plights we have read about on this thread.

I am also sorry to read about other members who have had unfortunate experiences, either personally or with their loved ones.

Naturally it’s impossible to defend every health worker and explain every anecdote where health care appears sub-optimal.

My one post on this thread ( but many others elsewhere ) explaining the situation in the Philippines and the UK, is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

“ Private “ medical care – where payment is made directly, as opposed to indirectly - should be of the same standard and based on good evidence. Be aware that the same doctor treating for fee(s) may well also be giving the same health care for a salary, in a taxation-funded health service. Of course there may not be a choice – which is why many Filipinos succumb to illness which is either not treated, or inadequately treated because they can’t afford it, and their insurance may not cover it.

Private healthcare is not a business quite like any other business. Only certain conditions can be treated privately. Lucrative procedures may be “ cherry picked “. For emergencies, and other conditions if complications arise - or may often be expected because of the type of illness ( requiring intensive care for example ) - in the UK the NHS will ALWAYS be needed. Conversely, “ Health tourism “ may appear relatively cheap in some countries, such as the Philippines, but consideration should be given to follow up and possible complications.

The vast majority of NHS “ clients “ ( a dreadful description – they are patients ! ) are treated well by the NHS and have reason to count their blessings. This compares favourably with countries like the Philippines MAINLY because more resources are available in the UK – not just money, but numbers of health workers per head of population.

joebloggs
16th January 2013, 12:05
the NHS has saved my life a couple of times, no complaints from me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
16th January 2013, 12:22
there are good and bad points to the nhs, nothings perfect, waiting times being a bad point,

but the overall service in my view is excellent,

i was well taken care of while i was being treated for cancer and the treatment complications that i endured throughout, i have no cause to complain,
i am grateful for the treatment and care i recieved from both doctors and nurses:xxgrinning--00xx3:

keith britten
17th January 2013, 02:33
I started this tread to try and get help for my father in law however it seems to have got side tracked into the pro's and con's of the NHS. However as we are talking about it I would like to say that If I was in a NHS hospital with a blood condition I would expect to be treated by a Hemotologist not a GP who seems to be stabbing in the dark.Also I would expect to have access to blood supplies and not having to go to the Red Cross begging for blood and being told that they don't have any. Today the hospital "doc" says we need 4 more bags of platelets for transfusion, no hope!

Doc Alan
17th January 2013, 10:44
Once again please accept sympathy and best wishes from me and all other members for your father in law.

It’s hard, however, NOT to compare health care in the Philippines with that in the UK, since most members live in one or other country.

Many UK residents inevitably have never experienced any other healthcare system and set our standards accordingly.

In the UK we expect blood to be available whenever required – yet 95 out of 100 rely on donation by the other 5. In the Philippines 99 rely on 1 in every 100.

In the UK and the Philippines there is indeed a specialty of haematology, requiring arduous training AFTER full general medical qualification. However, it’s not popular , and is a shortage specialty in both countries – far more so in the Philippines. Part of the duty of, and service provided by, haematologists is advice to General Practitioners.

Other members have offered helpful advice, and I – to the best of my ability – have tried to explain the reasons for the overall lower quality of health care in the Philippines. Essentially if it does “ suck “ in the latter country, it’s due to lack of resources, not lack of effort.

I understand you’re not a qualified medical practitioner. However, from your personal experience, perhaps you would care to offer suggestions as to how healthcare in the Philippines might be improved ?

These could include :-
• Subsidize training, pay qualified health care workers more and stop the brain drain of the majority of graduates.
• “ Doctors to the Barrios “ - encourage medical graduates to spend a couple of years or so in the country’s poorest and most remote barrios and villages.
• Drop privatisation plans for for government hospitals ( such as Philippine Orthopedic Centre and Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Metro Manila ).
• Reduce corruption. Improve the Philippines economy.
• Encourage donation - under safe circumstances - of blood and organs.
• Make universal healthcare a basic human right guaranteed by the constitution. Expand PhilHealth care for all Filipinos and target the poorest members of the community. Develop health promotion, education, screening and vaccination.
Make sure medicines - such as antibiotics for TB and antimalarials - are safe/genuine, appropriate, and taken for the full course ( patient compliance ).
ALL of these suggestions would help, and have already been considered – if they could be implemented.

fred
17th January 2013, 11:07
Keith..Where are you in the R.P?
I have experienced medical nightmares in the R.P too.. Im not going to say too much about that except that I needed to find 3 pints of blood in the 90`s at 3am in the morning..
We found some doners but my Mrs says she`s pleased that we managed to find a blood bank in the closest city to us at the time as all the doners were blind drunk and just looking for some quick cash..
Are you sure that there are no blood banks within lets say a 100 miles from your present location?
Tell us where you are and perhaps we can do a little research together..
Who knows..One of our members may know where you can purchase some..
From memory,back then I paid 1,500 for one bag x 3.
The blood was thoroughly screened and labelled.
We want to help you if we can..
Why cant you find a suitable blood donor BTW? If the word gets around that you are offering cash for blood then I cant see why there wont be an unlimited supply.

keith britten
18th January 2013, 02:02
Keith..Where are you in the R.P?
I have experienced medical nightmares in the R.P too.. Im not going to say too much about that except that I needed to find 3 pints of blood in the 90`s at 3am in the morning..
We found some doners but my Mrs says she`s pleased that we managed to find a blood bank in the closest city to us at the time as all the doners were blind drunk and just looking for some quick cash..
Are you sure that there are no blood banks within lets say a 100 miles from your present location?
Tell us where you are and perhaps we can do a little research together..
Who knows..One of our members may know where you can purchase some..
From memory,back then I paid 1,500 for one bag x 3.
The blood was thoroughly screened and labelled.
We want to help you if we can..
Why cant you find a suitable blood donor BTW? If the word gets around that you are offering cash for blood then I cant see why there wont be an unlimited supply.

Thank you Fred for you comments, we are in Davao City where you would think there would be blood supplies but there is only one blood bank here at the Red Cross. We to are paying P1,500 for whole blood and I think P800 for platelets. We have just been told by this doc that we need to buy platelet apheresis blood and also find a donor for it. This blood costs P12,000, I thought the Red Cross was none profit making organisation,I've done some research into this apheresis stuff and although the process of obtaining it from a donor is more complicated,I cannot see the reason for this massive price hike. It's proving very difficult to find donors even with cash incentive.

jake
18th January 2013, 03:08
Keith,
How's your father in law?
The reason people haven't tried to help you is they either don't know the answer or you haven't given them enough information.
Getting the best care for him may require you moving him to another hospital and spending more. Don't want to sound insensitive but that's how things work here.
They have the contacts and would probably be able to find blood when it may seem there is a shortage in the area.
As fred says keep trying to find donors as im sure some will come forward if the word is out.

Best wishes

keith britten
18th January 2013, 03:23
Keith,
How's your father in law?
The reason people haven't tried to help you is they either don't know the answer or you haven't given them enough information.
Getting the best care for him may require you moving him to another hospital and spending more. Don't want to sound insensitive but that's how things work here.
They have the contacts and would probably be able to find blood when it may seem there is a shortage in the area.
As fred says keep trying to find donors as im sure some will come forward if the word is out.

Best wishes

Thanks Jake. Like I have said before, I don't want to give to much information on here as it may predudice his "treatment". He's not showing much sign of improvement where he is but as for moving him,this is not really an option, the old saying "better the devil you know" comes into play. If anyone wants to help we need urgently A positive donors in Davao City.

keith britten
18th January 2013, 03:29
Once again please accept sympathy and best wishes from me and all other members for your father in law.

It’s hard, however, NOT to compare health care in the Philippines with that in the UK, since most members live in one or other country.

Many UK residents inevitably have never experienced any other healthcare system and set our standards accordingly.

In the UK we expect blood to be available whenever required – yet 95 out of 100 rely on donation by the other 5. In the Philippines 99 rely on 1 in every 100.

In the UK and the Philippines there is indeed a specialty of haematology, requiring arduous training AFTER full general medical qualification. However, it’s not popular , and is a shortage specialty in both countries – far more so in the Philippines. Part of the duty of, and service provided by, haematologists is advice to General Practitioners.

Other members have offered helpful advice, and I – to the best of my ability – have tried to explain the reasons for the overall lower quality of health care in the Philippines. Essentially if it does “ suck “ in the latter country, it’s due to lack of resources, not lack of effort.

I understand you’re not a qualified medical practitioner. However, from your personal experience, perhaps you would care to offer suggestions as to how healthcare in the Philippines might be improved ?

These could include :-
• Subsidize training, pay qualified health care workers more and stop the brain drain of the majority of graduates.
• “ Doctors to the Barrios “ - encourage medical graduates to spend a couple of years or so in the country’s poorest and most remote barrios and villages.
• Drop privatisation plans for for government hospitals ( such as Philippine Orthopedic Centre and Research Institute for Tropical Medicine in Metro Manila ).
• Reduce corruption. Improve the Philippines economy.
• Encourage donation - under safe circumstances - of blood and organs.
• Make universal healthcare a basic human right guaranteed by the constitution. Expand PhilHealth care for all Filipinos and target the poorest members of the community. Develop health promotion, education, screening and vaccination.
Make sure medicines - such as antibiotics for TB and antimalarials - are safe/genuine, appropriate, and taken for the full course ( patient compliance ).
ALL of these suggestions would help, and have already been considered – if they could be implemented.

Thank you for your comments,I agree whole heartedly. There is one word in your statement that would proberly solve most and that is "coruption". If you get rid of that proberly every thing else would fall into place, sadly that will never happen. As for Philhealth,my father-in-law had been subscribing to that all of his life,the ammount he got back from then barely paid for his first prescription.

fred
18th January 2013, 07:28
Keith.. Check this link and let us know if your wife has called all of these places in Davao.. There are quite a few pages there listing different blood banks...so get your pen out. Hopefully you find one with stock.
http://www.nvbsp.com/BSF%20Interactive%20Mapping/BSF%20Interactive%20Mapping/mapping/bsf_list/region11.pdf

fred
18th January 2013, 07:32
Might be worth posting a request here too..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DAVAO-BLOOD-CENTER/265028037157 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/DAVAO-BLOOD-CENTER/265028037157)

And here is the red cross FB page.. Post there too.. You never know.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davao-City-Red-Cross-Blood-Center/145696368782782

I see you have already posted on Blood donor`s Davao..

fred
18th January 2013, 07:42
Give this guy a call... His name is Bob Martin and seems to have a lot of contacts in Davao as he has lived there for over 10 years or more.. Perhaps he will have a few practical suggestions for you..From reading his website he seems like a thoroughly decent geezer. (for a Yank!)
http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/contact-us-2/
contact Bob Martin via telephone, his cell phone number is +63(949) 521-3046. That number is available during business hours in the Philippines, 8-5 on weekdays. At other times it will not be answered.

keith britten
18th January 2013, 08:20
Give this guy a call... His name is Bob Martin and seems to have a lot of contacts in Davao as he has lived there for over 10 years or more.. Perhaps he will have a few practical suggestions for you..From reading his website he seems like a thoroughly decent geezer. (for a Yank!)
http://liveinthephilippines.com/content/contact-us-2/
contact Bob Martin via telephone, his cell phone number is +63(949) 521-3046. That number is available during business hours in the Philippines, 8-5 on weekdays. At other times it will not be answered.

Thanks Fred, already contacted him, afraid he could'nt help.

keith britten
18th January 2013, 08:22
Keith.. Check this link and let us know if your wife has called all of these places in Davao.. There are quite a few pages there listing different blood banks...so get your pen out. Hopefully you find one with stock.
http://www.nvbsp.com/BSF%20Interactive%20Mapping/BSF%20Interactive%20Mapping/mapping/bsf_list/region11.pdf

She has called some but apparently a lot of them have transfered to Davao Red Cross.We'll try some more but we have'nt got transport to get to the far one's.

keith britten
18th January 2013, 08:24
Might be worth posting a request here too..

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DAVAO-BLOOD-CENTER/265028037157 (http://www.facebook.com/pages/DAVAO-BLOOD-CENTER/265028037157)

And here is the red cross FB page.. Post there too.. You never know.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Davao-City-Red-Cross-Blood-Center/145696368782782

I see you have already posted on Blood donor`s Davao..

Looked at the facebook one yesterday, it does'nt seem very active.

keith britten
21st January 2013, 05:36
Update. My father-in-law had a platelet transfusion but unfortunately it did'nt have much effect, we are still trying to find donors for another try. Now frustration is setting in. I have just learned that my blood group would be compatable with his BUT the Red Cross refuses to let me donate because of my age, I'm 66 and their very low cut off age is 50. I was a donor in the uk for over 30 years and if I were there now I could still donate. Surely it's my risk and if my blood is ok then why can't I be given the opportunity to help him?

andy222
21st January 2013, 07:25
wishing Marco and Keith Britten's fathers-in-laws a quick recovery back to health
Here here.
Well I have just got back from phils and just read this post. I am shocked but not surprised especially at the cost for treatment. Going off the topic a bit I was talking to a friend of the wifes while I was there and she is married to a american. She gave me an example. She took her kid for inoculations and she knew the price of the injections for a filipino kid. As soon as the doctor saw the kid was half foreign the price went up. From what she told me is as soon as they see foreign involvement the price goes up. I dont wish to offend any filipiinos on here but it does seem to be the case from what I have heard.

jake
21st January 2013, 08:10
Thank you for keeping us up to date. Noticed people will post a thread then disappear :cwm25:
Even though you are willing to take the risk they will implement their rules because you are a foreigner. I agree it should be up to you but if something happened it would bring bad publicity for the red cross.
Surprised you haven't managed to find enough donors if you are offering cash. Has your wife's family spoken to the barangay captain etc. Maybe you could offer free transport to and from the hospital as well as cash. Could fill a bus load from my barangay with that offer!

jake
21st January 2013, 08:49
Here here.
Well I have just got back from phils and just read this post. I am shocked but not surprised especially at the cost for treatment. Going off the topic a bit I was talking to a friend of the wifes while I was there and she is married to a american. She gave me an example. She took her kid for inoculations and she knew the price of the injections for a filipino kid. As soon as the doctor saw the kid was half foreign the price went up. From what she told me is as soon as they see foreign involvement the price goes up. I dont wish to offend any filipiinos on here but it does seem to be the case from what I have heard.

Welcome back. Hope you had a great time with your wife and stepdaughter.
Although over pricing does happen its not always the case. I dont think it is fair for anyone to make people believe this kind of behavior is indicative of the whole country as it is not.

andy222
21st January 2013, 12:51
Yes I had a great time thanks. I take on board what you are saying not all is bad. I was just quoting what my wifes friend told me. I think it is like most places the few bad people make it look bad for others.

jake
21st January 2013, 12:57
Yes I had a great time thanks. I take on board what you are saying not all is bad. I was just quoting what my wifes friend told me. I think it is like most places the few bad people make it look bad for others.

Correct :xxgrinning--00xx3:

keith britten
21st January 2013, 13:46
Here here.

Your so right, I've experienced that lots of times.

keith britten
21st January 2013, 13:49
Thank you for keeping us up to date. Noticed people will post a thread then disappear :cwm25:
Even though you are willing to take the risk they will implement their rules because you are a foreigner. I agree it should be up to you but if something happened it would bring bad publicity for the red cross.
Surprised you haven't managed to find enough donors if you are offering cash. Has your wife's family spoken to the barangay captain etc. Maybe you could offer free transport to and from the hospital as well as cash. Could fill a bus load from my barangay with that offer!

Not here, they're probably all drunk.

keith britten
21st January 2013, 13:58
Further up date. We found a donor, a Canadian guy here on vacation. We took him to the Red Cross and they refused him because he had'nt been in the Philippines for a year or more. Also happened to drop into San Pedro hospital to collect something, a large poster in the foyer stating donors wanted next saturday, the cut off age there was 65 not 50 as per the Red Cross and no mention of having to reside here for a year. The Red Cross also won't take blood from British donors because of "mad cow disease", I think that event was 27 years ago.

grahamw48
21st January 2013, 14:05
Unbelievable. :NoNo:

Wishing you the best of luck.

Tawi2
21st January 2013, 14:24
"Mindanao bob" wont be able to help,keith PM me your cell-number,i will get someone to call you tomorrow,she has a lot of contacts,she took me to dinner and we were seated only a few tables from 'Erap :icon_rolleyes: she is an old atanean from Davao so knows a lot of healthcare professionals,I know one of her best mates is a doctor who now lives in Tagbilaran but graduated in Davao.

Rosie1958
22nd January 2013, 00:29
I’ve only just come across this thread and I am so sorry to read of your plight, Keith, and your father- in- law’s poor health. I know from first- hand experience how quickly the private healthcare system in the Philippines can drain even a well-lined pocket. Unfortunately, I have also experienced the price hike because a Westerner was involved with medical treatment but a bit of renegotiation/ begging by my Filipina sister-in-law resolved that issue.

I sincerely hope that you find an acceptable donor as soon as possible, our thoughts and very best wishes are with you and your family. Please do keep us posted.

keith britten
22nd January 2013, 01:28
I’ve only just come across this thread and I am so sorry to read of your plight, Keith, and your father- in- law’s poor health. I know from first- hand experience how quickly the private healthcare system in the Philippines can drain even a well-lined pocket. Unfortunately, I have also experienced the price hike because a Westerner was involved with medical treatment but a bit of renegotiation/ begging by my Filipina sister-in-law resolved that issue.

I sincerely hope that you find an acceptable donor as soon as possible, our thoughts and very best wishes are with you and your family. Please do keep us posted.

Thank you for your coments and best wishes. My wife asked me to stay away from the hospital because of these price hikes but now my father-in-law has been in there for 2 weeks I just had to go there and support my wife . The first day I was the the doc came into the room and his eye's lit up, you could see the peso numbers rolling round like a fruit machine. After a brief chat with him to put right his assumpsion that I was Americano or Canadian, I told him that I was British and living on a uk state pension. He proberly went back to his office to google uk pension rates.

stevewool
22nd January 2013, 07:44
seems in all things that happens in the phils, the best thing is to leave it all to the partners you just stay in the back ground

jake
22nd January 2013, 08:21
Still don't understand why you cant find filipino's to donate blood. Your wife's family? Most families here are large and consist of at least 100 aunts/cousins/nephews etc. Friends of your wife's family?
I wont deny that some doctors see foreigners as prime targets for extra money and sometimes even unnecessary procedures but please don't put them all in the same category.
There are some excellent hospitals and doctors here. If i had any doubts i would seek a second opinion and move the person if i felt it was necessary.
My wife had a operation a couple of years ago and even though it was expensive the service (sorry doc) was first class from the moment she entered until she left.
If anybody is planning to live here in the future and you are worried about medical treatment you should study the hospitals before the nice beaches.
Keith..best wishes

andy222
22nd January 2013, 13:54
seems in all things that happens in the phils, the best thing is to leave it all to the partners you just stay in the back ground
Great advice thats what I do.:xxgrinning--00xx3:. All the best Keith it must be a nightmare for you.

Tawi2
22nd January 2013, 14:04
I asked you politely yesterday to PM me your cell-number keith,you didnt :anerikke: thats cool,maybe you have your reasons,I found an A Positive donor today.

Arthur Little
22nd January 2013, 18:08
I asked you politely yesterday to PM me your cell-number keith, you didnt :anerikke: thats cool, maybe you have your reasons, I found an A Positive donor today.

Probably because he COULDN'T :nono-1-1: ... since members need to have obtained 'Respected' status before they're allowed to communicate privately.

:icon_sorry: ... in the circumstances, I can only suggest you convey the information to Keith directly, via his profile page - unless you've any rooted objection(s) to doing so.

Tawi2
22nd January 2013, 20:29
If someone sends me keiths cell-number tomorrow then I can send it to someone who will start the ball rolling,a days past already,I phoned her while I was en-route to work this morning,I had no info except the guy is A Positive and in Davao,within 30 minutes she phoned me that she has someone of that bloodgroup,she also suspected that she had a couple of candidates in her office,she is in Cotabato today,I think she is back in Davao thursday and flies to manila friday?She is exceedingly busy but she is going out of her way to help,all she needs is a number.

fred
22nd January 2013, 22:31
If someone sends me keiths cell-number tomorrow then I can send it to someone who will start the ball rolling,a days past already,I phoned her while I was en-route to work this morning,I had no info except the guy is A Positive and in Davao,within 30 minutes she phoned me that she has someone of that bloodgroup,she also suspected that she had a couple of candidates in her office,she is in Cotabato today,I think she is back in Davao thursday and flies to manila friday?She is exceedingly busy but she is going out of her way to help,all she needs is a number.

Well done Tawi..:icon_sorry:
Just illustrates the true value of this forums membership.

Michael Parnham
22nd January 2013, 22:49
Good stuff Tawi, hope Keith gets in touch sooner rather than later, Good Luck!!

joebloggs
23rd January 2013, 00:04
if he wants Tawi2, a mod can give his email address to you - so you can communicate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
23rd January 2013, 00:53
Worth posting here.. This group have helped many in the past.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOS_Philippines/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOS_Philippines/)

Arthur Little
23rd January 2013, 00:59
if he wants Tawi2, a mod can give his email address to you - so you can communicate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

That's a GREAT :idea: ... I just hadn't realised Mods were actually authorised to act as "go-betweens" when it came to divulging "sensitive" information - such as personal :telephone: numbers - or I'd have suggested it myself before now! :icon_sorry:

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 02:57
I asked you politely yesterday to PM me your cell-number keith,you didnt :anerikke: thats cool,maybe you have your reasons,I found an A Positive donor today.

Sorry that I have'nt got back to you before but I've been at the hospital and I have'nt got a laptop.To be quite honest I think that it may now be to late for any donors to help. My father-in-laws condition has deteriated quite a lot dispite having platelet transfusions,his platelet level is now 20. The "doc" now says that he has sepsis,I think that he proberly contracted that in the hospital but who am I to say. I'll just refer back to the title of this thread.
Thank you for your help.

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 03:02
Worth posting here.. This group have helped many in the past.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOS_Philippines/ (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOS_Philippines/)

Thank you for this info, I have been on this site constantly for the past week. I found one donor on there but the Red Cross rejected him because he had'nt been residing in the Phils for a year. There are some other donors on there who have offered to help but I fear now that it will be too late.

jake
23rd January 2013, 03:16

Tawi...:xxgrinning--00xx3: and to your doctor friend :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
23rd January 2013, 03:21
Sorry to hear his condition has deteriorated.

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 04:25
Can someone please tell me how to contact Tawi2 to give him my contact details

jake
23rd January 2013, 04:44
Have PM a couple of the moderators who live in asia. Hopefully they are online and will be in touch with you asap. Will mail PM Tawi as well.

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 04:50
Have PM a couple of the moderators who live in asia. Hopefully they are online and will be in touch with you asap. Will mail PM Tawi as well.

Thanks

jake
23rd January 2013, 05:12
One of the moderators Steve r answered back quickly :xxgrinning--00xx3: Said he only has the email address for tawi. He is probably sleeping just now so you might have to wait awhile. Will try something else as one of mates wife's is friends with another guy Tawi knows in the UK.

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 05:25
One of the moderators Steve r answered back quickly :xxgrinning--00xx3: Said he only has the email address for tawi. He is probably sleeping just now so you might have to wait awhile. Will try something else as one of mates wife's is friends with another guy Tawi knows in the UK.

Thanks again Jake. Coud risk putting my email ad on here but would proberly get barred.

joebloggs
23rd January 2013, 09:07
Thanks again Jake. Coud risk putting my email ad on here but would proberly get barred.

i've sent tawi2 your yahoo email address Keith.

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 10:33
i've sent tawi2 your yahoo email address Keith.

Thank you.

vernier caliper
23rd January 2013, 12:44
My blood type is A+ same as my brother and few cousins but I'm here in the UK and the rest in Batangas City. It's really difficult to find a match because A+ is a rare blood type compared to O and B. Sorry Keith if we can't donate, the distance is not practical. Regards to your wife. Be strong both of you.

Tawi2
23rd January 2013, 13:00
My father-in-laws condition has deteriated quite a lot
Where theres life theres hope keith,i will check my mail.

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 13:24
My blood type is A+ same as my brother and few cousins but I'm here in the UK and the rest in Batangas City. It's really difficult to find a match because A+ is a rare blood type compared to O and B. Sorry Keith if we can't donate, the distance is not practical. Regards to your wife. Be strong both of you.

Thank you

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 13:27
Where theres life theres hope keith,i will check my mail.

It's more frustration than hope at the moment, I feel so helpless.

Tawi2
23rd January 2013, 13:52
I can empathise with how you feel keith,chin-up,I checked my mail and theres a message to contact you,I cant do that mate because I dont have a number for you :Erm: not your fault,not my fault,its miscommunication somewhere along the line,just how it is which leaves us in a bit of a limbo at the moment,any chance of somehow getting your cell-number?

keith britten
23rd January 2013, 14:01
I can empathise with how you feel keith,chin-up,I checked my mail and theres a message to contact you,I cant do that mate because I dont have a number for you :Erm: not your fault,not my fault,its miscommunication somewhere along the line,just how it is which leaves us in a bit of a limbo at the moment,any chance of somehow getting your cell-number?

09281604837 txt me and I'll txt back email addy. Thanks

joebloggs
23rd January 2013, 14:15

send him an email, and he can reply with his number :biggrin: but i see he's already posted it,

Arthur Little
23rd January 2013, 18:22
N.B. Attention of Keith Britten

Keith ... I've been following this thread of yours carefully ever since it was first raised. Just noticed (not a moment too soon - and, hopefully, in "the nick of time"!!) that you have now attained 'Respected Status' ... which, consequently, places you in a position to share your personal information with Tawi privately!

Meanwhile, the thoughts and prayers of everyone here are with your wife's father ... most especially those who've read your appeal for help.

God Bless. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
23rd January 2013, 18:41
Meanwhile, the thoughts and prayers of everyone here are with your wife's father ... most especially those who've read your appeal for help.

God Bless. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

All the caring members here - including myself - do indeed send our best wishes, understand how you feel, and hope for the best outcome for your father-in-law.

imagine
23rd January 2013, 22:48
thoughts and prayers go out to your father in law , that he gets the blood he needs and puts him on track to recovery

jake
24th January 2013, 00:19
Keith... hopefully by now you have been in contact with Tawi and he has given you some valuable information.
Hope you manage to find what you are looking for and that he will regain some strength.
Everybody here will support you in whatever way they can.

keith britten
24th January 2013, 01:04
Thank you every one for your help and best wishes.

Cold Spud
24th January 2013, 11:47
Just happen to browse this thread of messages and wish that I could help but unfortunately, I can only sends my prayers.

keith britten
24th January 2013, 12:43
Just happen to browse this thread of messages and wish that I could help but unfortunately, I can only sends my prayers.

Thank you

keith britten
30th January 2013, 14:41
Further update. My father-in-law has been in hospital for over 3 weeks now and the only change in his condition is that he has contracted infections probably from the hospital. The money has now all gone, well into 6 figures, (thats pesos). My wifes sisters life savings have gone, relatives have kindly given or loaned, we are now left with my uk state pension to either keep him there or transfer to government hospital or bring him home. We will probably try for the transfer and hope that they have doctors that know what they are doing.
Thank you forall your good wishes.