PDA

View Full Version : my turn for a little rant....

Gary
19th October 2005, 22:54
Ok my little rant goes something like this....

HEY PETE...sort your web site out...

really no offence meant... but it takes so long for your pictures to load... :(
I can read the entire page and move onto the next one before the first page has finished downloading the pictures and some of them i'd love to see but it just takes so long....

I know it would be a lot of work for you as I build sites myself, but could you please try to reduce the pixels...
you only really need 640 x 480 pixels...

I'm not the only one who is still using a 56k modem and i'm sure there's loads of other people around the world who are in a similar situation.

I'd proof read it for you too...but i can't right click copy paste so i can't unless you can organize something.

anyway ...rant over... and please, honestly..no offence meant. It's a great site you got there and packed full of usefull stuff :D

Ta...

Admin
20th October 2005, 09:14
Dial Up :o Little difference in price between that & broadband now, especially when you add in the savings on DVD's & CD's B)

Joey
20th October 2005, 12:58
What pictures? Where are these pictures? I thought that nobody really posted any pictures here! Gads! I guess I better browse around more, huh?

walesrob
20th October 2005, 15:32
Originally posted by Gary@Oct 19 2005, 10:54 PM

Ta...

Quoted post

Its actually not simple building a website as I've found out...the links, the coding, the picture quailty, etc have to be spot on or the whole thing just looks like a bad dream. I've spent the last few days building a couple of sites, and its amazing how google can make the job much easier..one site I did was made for a cost of less than £10 and that was the registration of domain, while the hosting was free.

Gary
20th October 2005, 17:04
when I first started building web sites, everything was done in HTML, so i got pretty clued up with the language...it was quite a few years before any of these new all singing, all dancing, copy it, paste it, type it programmes came out.

It is so much easier now.

I also do all the FTP work and search engine submissions.
That used to be a joke... most places wouldn't take you unless you paid. But there were ways round it if you spent time in finding them.

But now there are programmes that do that for you too... these search engine sites that reckon they post your site on over 10,000 engines are a load of old tripe.

The submitter I use is actually updated daily as most engines change things so frequently.
It also allows to keep the content correct for the engine you're submitting to. If your site is in English and then you submit to a polish search engine, you're not going to get much feedback. And this also puts a mark on your site for all the big boys...they see how many times your site has been submitted to engines, how many times it's been refused or accepted... the more refusals the less chance of a good ranking on a big boy engine.....

robots on search engines also take into account the speed at which a page loads. the faster a page loads the better the chances.

It's a well known fact that pages that take too long to load are left by the viewer after 30 seconds...

Ok, Pete's site wont make millions..it's not meant to ..it's meant to be informative, but if I had not joined this forum, I don't think I would ever have found it.
And it was only by pure chance that I found this forum... Can't remember where the hell I was before coming into here.

Probably bouncing off the walls of the local nut house...

take care all, keep smiling.

ginapeterb
21st October 2005, 08:04
Originally posted by Gary@Oct 19 2005, 09:54 PM

really no offence meant... but it takes so long for your pictures to load... :(
I can read the entire page and move onto the next one before the first page has finished downloading the pictures and some of them i'd love to see but it just takes so long....

I know it would be a lot of work for you as I build sites myself, but could you please try to reduce the pixels...
you only really need 640 x 480 pixels...

I'm not the only one who is still using a 56k modem and i'm sure there's loads of other people around the world who are in a similar situation.

I'd proof read it for you too...but i can't right click copy paste so i can't unless you can organize something.

anyway ...rant over... and please, honestly..no offence meant. It's a great site you got there and packed full of usefull stuff :D

Ta...

Quoted post

ginapeterb
21st October 2005, 08:12
really no offence meant... but it takes so long for your pictures to load...

Hey, whats your problem, its really your 56K connection di ba ? palitan mo na into broadband ! really, 56K went out back in the 90's in the days of compuserve and all the fun we had downloading at speeds when dinosaurs roamed the earth, sorry if the site is slow, however, its superfast on my 2MB connection and Im sure on Keiths, super fast 8MB Connection, I also have a video on my Boracay page, which launches and plays in seconds, it really is not designed for dial ups, and I think I have always said that, but however, you are happy that you found it, and it takes me hours of maintenance every day, especially as I am spending 2-3 hours a day editing, just to give free information for people, who in general (perhaps not you) who are too lazy to find out for themselves, just to put you in the picture, I had 137 Unique page views last week alone, and 60 per cent of my traffic is repeat viewing, which tells me, that people keep coming back for more, as the site is totally 100 per cent freee, I have to make a living in my occupation, maintenance is done in the evenings and weekends, so bare with me on this, there will be more pages added over christmas, but by your own admissions, you are happy you found it....and as you say..you are reading anyway, best of luck.

Gary
21st October 2005, 09:08
Cheers Pete...
I knew you wouldn't take offence to my comment...
I know it takes a lot of work to sort a site out.
And yes, I return to it too. to check stuff. Good news about your page views etc.
I'm only on 56k modem 'cos my mayor wont yet allow the cables to be laid for my village....

I'm not too fussed about it... I was more thinking about people in other countries...ie the philippines.

Both Ecxy and myself had no idea about proof of relationship and stuff, so when I showed her your pages, she was gob smacked...

Anyway, great stuff...keep it up.. you should be proud of your efforts.

Admin
21st October 2005, 09:16
The problem with pics Pete is that on broadband you don't notice the download speed, but even so, if they are large, they are eating up bandwidth which can annoy the web host.

You also need to realise that although the UK is becoming mainly broadband, we still have to backward compatable for the rest of the World who aren't.

You can get a free graphic optimizer here http://chemware.co.nz/tgo.htm

If you've done them in JPG I'll find you one for that as well Pete :)

walesrob
24th October 2005, 07:50
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Oct 21 2005, 08:12 AM
Keiths, super fast 8MB Connection,

Quoted post

Keith? 8mb? In North Wales?? Unless your on cable (or LLU?), of course but we've only just got broadband where I live 10 months ago and it'll be years before it gets upgraded to anything near 8mb.

Admin
24th October 2005, 09:33
...and my nearest main town is 18 miles away :) I knew sending my scouse mates to MR BT would help !!

deepete
24th October 2005, 13:56
see your being flamed on another website Keith

you bad man

BTW what sort of gambling are you into

deepete
24th October 2005, 13:57
I think I just noticed the poker web link :P

Admin
24th October 2005, 22:05
No adverting is bad :) Every time someone has slated the Win2Win Racing site it brings in more visitors who'd never heard of it.

It was that guy who was posting links everywhere and talking like it was his site, in fact the nice PM & email he sent showed what an arrogant git he was.

Strange how my forums are so unsucessful they have over 100,000+ posts between them....must be crap :lol:

I bet the people who got married, have relationships, and had help with visa's are also sorry they ever gound this place :lol:

I love people who think they are better than everyone else, when it is everyone else who sees them as an ass. Most work for the embassy eh Pete? :)

In answer to your question, www.win2win.co.uk .....and yes I'm a pro-gambler, and yes many of my members now are....crap agian eh? :unsure:

Pauldo
26th October 2005, 08:38
Originally posted by walesrob@Oct 24 2005, 07:50 AM
Keith? 8mb? In North Wales?? Unless your on cable (or LLU?), of course but we've only just got broadband where I live 10 months ago and it'll be years before it gets upgraded to anything near 8mb.

Quoted post

I just got my NTL uprated to lmb, (gb?) for free. Turns out everybody who uses the 300,000 kb is entitled to be upgraded, but they don't tell you. Makes a hell of a difference, downloads big pics in a fraction of a second :D

Cheers, Pauldo

Admin
26th October 2005, 09:19
It's the same with Telewest, AOL, etc, you have to ask, some have done it automatically.....strange World.

Gary
26th October 2005, 15:22
if you dont ask you dont get.... but how do you know its available if they dont tell you...

Admin
27th October 2005, 08:58
Us Brits....(sorry British...can't shorten words now like Paki....Pakistan....Brits....British :mellow: ),......we are all pyshic....so much so we can tell instantly that a mass rapist is now honky, and we can safely let him out after 3 months of his life sentence......... :blink:

Gary
5th November 2005, 13:08
Originally posted by admin@Oct 27 2005, 07:58 AM
Us Brits....(sorry British...can't shorten words now like Paki....Pakistan....Brits....British :mellow: ),......we are all pyshic....so much so we can tell instantly that a mass rapist is now honky, and we can safely let him out after 3 months of his life sentence......... :blink:

Quoted post

Of course, I see it all clearly now,
Makes perfect sense.... I think.