PDA

View Full Version : In the event of an earthquake

Ako Si Jamie
11th January 2013, 20:53
Apart from praying what's the best course of action? I've never really thought about it until now.

Anyone experienced a quake?

imagine
11th January 2013, 20:57
head for the comfort room:biggrin:think id sit on the loo:action-smiley-082:

grahamw48
11th January 2013, 20:59
Just a smallish one when living in the province in Bicol....about a 6.

Felt like a giant had picked up the (wood) house and given it a good shake.

Certainly woke me up and got my attention. :omg:

I suppose a single storey house of light and flexible construction is going to be the safest. :Erm:....or Stevewool's Container House of course. :smile:

Ako Si Jamie
11th January 2013, 21:05
Come to think of it, there was an earthquake here in Birmingham about ten years ago but it was a 3 or something similar.

imagine
11th January 2013, 21:06
[QUOTE=grahamw48;413058

Felt like a giant had picked up the (wood) house and given it a good shake.

Certainly woke me up and got my attention. :omg:

I suppose a single storey house of light and flexible construction is going to be the safest. :Erm:....or Stevewool's Container House of course. :smile:[/QUOTE]

mmmmm container being shook about, brings thoughts to my head of a big bell and the person inside is the pea ( well whatever you call that thing thats swings and gongs the bell)

ouch:yikes: ah its called the clapper

grahamw48
11th January 2013, 21:12
Steve and his lady would be alive then, but with mega headaches. :icon_lol:

Tawi2
11th January 2013, 21:17
I think most people who have spent years in the ring of fire will have experienced shifting tectonic plates at one time or another,been in a few,mainly tremors,nothing to write home about,odd feeling though,the drill is DROP-COVER-HOLD.

raynaputi
11th January 2013, 21:20
I think most people who have spent years in the ring of fire will have experienced shifting tectonic plates at one time or another,been in a few,mainly tremors,nothing to write home about,odd feeling though,the drill is DROP-COVER-HOLD.

Yep, that's what we learned at school..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

For more info... http://www.earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/

Terpe
11th January 2013, 21:59
I've been unfortunate enough to have experienced some earthquakes.
I remember the San Francisco earthquake in 1989. I had just entered a shop called 'Ross dress for less' in Market Street.
The shaking was unbelievably strong and we were all scared to death.
This happened late in the afternoon and it comes completely out of the blue.

I was also in Kobe during the earthquake of 1995 that destroyed huge areas of the city.
I was very lucky to be in a new hotel. Of course I couldn't do anything being on a high level floor other than thinking it was like being on a ferry and I need to put some clothes on or i'll be found only in my underwear.
When it stopped all around me was destroyed.

There's nothing you can do. It happens and that's it.
It's very very frightening, out of your control and you just wait for it to stop

Tawi2
12th January 2013, 11:14
I was also in Kobe during the earthquake of 1995
Thats one incredible experience,and the modesty twist is style :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Slip
12th January 2013, 11:37
I've been unfortunate enough to have experienced some earthquakes.
I remember the San Francisco earthquake in 1989. I had just entered a shop called 'Ross dress for less' in Market Street.
The shaking was unbelievably strong and we were all scared to death.
This happened late in the afternoon and it comes completely out of the blue.

I was also in Kobe during the earthquake of 1995 that destroyed huge areas of the city.
I was very lucky to be in a new hotel. Of course I couldn't do anything being on a high level floor other than thinking it was like being on a ferry and I need to put some clothes on or i'll be found only in my underwear.
When it stopped all around me was destroyed.

There's nothing you can do. It happens and that's it.
It's very very frightening, out of your control and you just wait for it to stop

So what you are saying is, dont go on holiday with you!

grahamw48
12th January 2013, 12:19
Phew....some impressive life experiences there Peter. :cwm24:

Terpe
12th January 2013, 13:45
Phew....some impressive life experiences there Peter. :cwm24:

Those were the very worst ones.

During our time living in Japan we experienced literally hundreds of earthquakes.
I've said it before, you never ever get used to it.

Steve.r
12th January 2013, 14:44
Since being here it Shanghai for the last nearly 5 months, I can sit at my desk every day or so it seems, and you feel tremors quite frequently. It feels like someone has got hold of my chair and is pushing it towards my desk quickly. I think the only way to compare it to what we know in the UK is when a large lorry fully loaded passes you by and you feel the ground move. But the biggest one I have felt here to date pushed me about 4 inches forward and back... but I am used to them now.

Back in Phils I have not felt any, but if you look at a google earth earthquake map of Luzon, the biggest one in recent times centred from just over the road from my house in Bongabon. :omg:

WhiteBloodAda
12th January 2013, 20:42
I survived two in Dover within a couple of years of each other. The first one was around 7am, and I .... myself! Felt like a massive long and heavy lorry was thundering past. I was asleep until it struck, and I just hid under the covers and shouted ...... a few times!