PDA

View Full Version : I want to watch the internet on my TV

Ako Si Jamie
11th January 2013, 20:37
So I'm thinking of getting a google box or something similar.

I do have a cable (non HDMI) that runs from the laptop to the TV but the only trouble is, I have to fiddle about with the settings before I boot up the laptop if I want to watch anything.

Anyone have a google box?

Terpe
11th January 2013, 20:43
Firstly, I not a computer techie.
My laptop doesn't have a HDMI output, neither does it have an S-Video output.
(my previous laptop had S-Vid output and worked a treat.)

Anyway, I went to my local Maplins and bought a 'thingy' which connects my laptop to the TV wonderfully well and very easily.
If you can get to Maplins you too can get that 'thingy'

Sorry Jamie, really not being facetious just sharing my experience.

The guy at Maplins told me the best is via HDMI direct

Ako Si Jamie
11th January 2013, 20:50
Firstly, I not a computer techie.
My laptop doesn't have a HDMI output, neither does it have an S-Video output.
(my previous laptop had S-Vid output and worked a treat.)

Anyway, I went to my local Maplins and bought a 'thingy' which connects my laptop to the TV wonderfully well and very easily.
If you can get to Maplins you too can get that 'thingy'

Sorry Jamie, really not being facetious just sharing my experience.

The guy at Maplins told me the best is via HDMI directIt's probably the same as I've got Peter (cost me £5 off a market stall) and it works well but I have to keep messing around with the settings on my laptop because of the resolution and it's a pain. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't accommodate HDMI or I would have got one of those cables.

Terpe
11th January 2013, 21:25
It's probably the same as I've got Peter (cost me £5 off a market stall) and it works well but I have to keep messing around with the settings on my laptop because of the resolution and it's a pain. Unfortunately my laptop doesn't accommodate HDMI or I would have got one of those cables.

Yes, sound like it could be the same. I remember having to play around with the settings at first to get a reasonable picture with good alignment.

What is it you want to watch ? TV programmes ?

Ako Si Jamie
11th January 2013, 21:31
Yes, sound like it could be the same. I remember having to play around with the settings at first to get a reasonable picture with good alignment.

What is it you want to watch ? TV programmes ?You Tube mainly. There's a plethora of good documentaries on there. Much better viewing then some of the guff on TV at present.

Slip
12th January 2013, 00:22
Funny enough I connected my laptop to my TV this morning via HDMI. Cracking picture but I couldn't get the screen to fit, I tried everything, it either was too big for the TV missing out about an inch either side from the laptop, or black edges on the TV.

This was only a test anyway, I have a HDMI monitor for my main pc that I use to watch films and stuff from the internet.

Slip
12th January 2013, 00:25
You Tube mainly. There's a plethora of good documentaries on there. Much better viewing then some of the guff on TV at present.

Probably not helpful if you dont have a Tivo box from virgin, but they have a you tube app that I use to watch You tube on my TV

Ako Si Jamie
12th January 2013, 10:42
Funny enough I connected my laptop to my TV this morning via HDMI. Cracking picture but I couldn't get the screen to fit, I tried everything, it either was too big for the TV missing out about an inch either side from the laptop, or black edges on the TV.

You'll probably need to adjust the settings of your laptop before boot up every time. Actually, don't bother, it's more trouble than it's worth. :furious3:

Probably not helpful if you dont have a Tivo box from virgin, but they have a you tube app that I use to watch You tube on my TVYou don't need a Tivo box. This is what I might be getting.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251149170047?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619