PDA

View Full Version : Fat Chance !

Doc Alan
4th January 2013, 21:13
Several members have started / intend to lose weight in this New Year. It’s a personal decision which I encourage – but as in other health issues, I don’t make judgements or try to tell members what lifestyle choices to make. Further, it’s claimed that up to half of those employed by the UK health service are overweight – not a good example to set !

There is a particular problem with obesity in the USA and UK. Ironically until fairly recently malnourishment was a greater concern in the world – the Philippines now has a “ bipolar problem “ of malnourishment AND obesity ( the latter predominating ) in children and adults.

Most people know being overweight raises the risks of heart disease, strokes, diabetes, some cancers and other illnesses – and the health-care bill ( perhaps a fifth of the USA total ). But – unlike smoking – fatty and sugary foods, and alcohol, are not uniformly unhealthy, in moderation.
Most people also – if they’re honest ( many are in denial ) – know when they’re overweight. Accurate “ bathroom scales “ confirm – or otherwise. “ BMI “ ( body mass index = weight in kilograms / height in metres squared – “ ideal “ 19 – 25 ) is over-rated and not a good measure for all body types. Serum cholesterol should be less than 5 … but a decision to treat with diet and / or statins is a clinical one. Blood / urine sugar to rule out diabetes is easily done at the doctor’s surgery.

It’s easier to gain than lose weight. If losing weight was simply a case of eating less and exercising more, there wouldn’t be a global obesity epidemic. The rise of obesity is disproportionately among the poor and uneducated. “ Healthy food “ and gym membership are expensive – and living in cities is often hazardous for walkers / cyclists.

A “ sin tax “ on fatty / sugary foods would be an administrative nightmare and regressive ( targeting the poor ) – Denmark imposed, and within a year abandoned, such a tax. Food and drink companies need to make money and although they may list fat, carbohydrate, protein, and alcohol content, they’re still going to market “ junk foods “ until / unless consumers stop buying them .
Drugs ( expensive, not without side-effects ) and surgery ( gastric band / bypass ) are the answer for a minority – and unlikely to significantly reverse obesity rates any time soon.

Ultimately the decision to try for a slimmer, healthier life rests with individuals. There’s a limit to what governments can / should do. If a health service only treated those who were ill through no fault of their own, hospitals and GP surgeries would become very much quieter places. As it is, eating, drinking and exercising are lifestyle choices for individuals to make, with due respect for others.

Good luck to all those who HAVE decided to improve their health in 2013, and please update us on your progress … not next week, but around June !

raynaputi
4th January 2013, 21:31
Thanks for that Doc! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Anyway, this is one example of determination to lose weight..

'I was too ashamed to get the cancer test that could have saved my mother': Obese father-of-three, 37, loses EIGHTEEN stone in nine months after vowing to slim for his sons

- Wayne Robinson dropped from 31st to 13st after making a 'conscious effort to constantly avoid embarrassing situations' like parents evening
- Weight crept on after he lost his mother to bowel cancer
- Says shame over weight meant he resisted getting the cancer test himself - even though he knew early detection could have saved his mother
- Decided to slim down for the sake of his children
- Averaged half a stone weight loss per week

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2257040/Obese-father-37-loses-EIGHTEEN-stone-months-vowing-slim-sons.html

Dedworth
4th January 2013, 22:15
Good informative and well timed write up Doc. Just as an aside I'm not sure if this has been posted before but an eye opening programme

iE-H__aIEFE

Good luck to the slimmers and smokers trying to kick the habit

Terpe
4th January 2013, 22:27
Everyone has their own reasons to lose weight. Doesn't necessarily mean they're thinking they're fat/overweight/obese or whatever.
Myriad reasons.

I get a kick out of sharing some of my strategies here as I pick up extra motivation and determination, as well as hints and tips.
When you get to a certain age such things as healthly become a little more urgent. Especially for those of us who enjoy to travel and have ambitions to 'fill the unforgiving minute'.
My old school motto. Still the motto as I observe todays students.
I've always reminded myself of that.

Anyway, I'm a real foodie, but If I can find a way to enjoy a tasty meal with half the calories of the traditional recipe, then I'm happy.

Has anyone seen the amount of butter that James Martin uses? :omg:

Moy
5th January 2013, 22:50
i lose weight so much from 54 kls to 46 kls or 7 stone right now..gp told me i was underweight:cwm3:

sars_notd_virus
6th January 2013, 14:11
I always eat what I like , drink and smoke moderately , sleep and relax whenever I can and do my aikido training once a week....at nearly forty with kids I am happy to say that I maintained my weight from 50 kilos to maximum of 55 kilograms , i dont plan to go on any diet as i am happy and confident with my BMI of 20.8

sars_notd_virus
6th January 2013, 14:24
Fat Chance !
Is it genetic?
Not in my family is fat or obese , maybe because when we were young our parents never stuff junk foods or carbonated drinks to us and I instill that to my kids as well.

Arthur Little
6th January 2013, 18:14
I'm a real foodie, but If I can find a way to enjoy a tasty meal with half the calories of the traditional recipe, then I'm happy.

And I used to be :hubbahubba: ... indeed, my appetite remained legendary among those who knew me well, for most of my life ...

... until 2010, that is ... when, finally, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus leading, in turn, to my being prescribed 'Metformin' tablets - to be taken twice daily, morning & evening - in conjunction with regular Quarterly checkups on my blood sugar levels.

:anerikke: ... since then, I seem to've lost much of my desire for food in general - yet still crave sweet, fizzy *drinks ... the *colder the better! :crazy:

Doc Alan
6th January 2013, 20:45
There is no good reason to lose weight OTHER than the insight and honesty to accept the dangers of eating too much and not taking enough exercise.

Many people are in denial – or blissfully unaware – that they have a weight problem. BMI is simply one measure of this – it doesn’t mean Big Mac Index ! Of course another lifestyle choice – such as being a fashion model, boxer or horse rider – may over rule the perception of “ normal weight “ ; more ominously, conditions such as anorexia nervosa require diagnosis and treatment.

Obesity is not in the vast majority of cases linked to single gene defect(s). It’s the result of many personal decisions – although its increase is not just due to individual frailty. It certainly costs the UK health service a staggering amount – estimated £ 5 billion / year, and increasing; and possibly £ 20 billion a year in lost productivity due to associated ill health.

Getting individuals – and thus populations – to accept they might have a problem is one thing ; it’s another to understand what to do about it. Where you shop dictates what you eat. Trans-fats, for example, are toxins prolonging shelf-life of many products, still present in foods available in corner shops or “ takeaways “. “ Low-fat “ foods contain too many sugars and refined carbohydrates. Fizzy drinks may contain high-fructose corn syrup, converted to fat in the body. Alcoholic drinks contain a surprising number of calories. Most people ( in the UK ) have heard of “ 5 a day “ ( portions of fruit and vegetables ) – not necessarily cheap, or appealing, to many.

I started the thread by reminding members that I don’t make judgements on lifestyle choices – but would simply suggest honesty in self-assessment. Think whether you might feel better this New Year with even small improvements in diet and exercise. Best wishes to you all :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Steve.r
7th January 2013, 05:32
Interesting thread Alan.

I have found that over the last few months I have been losing weight. I have put it down to a few factors:

1, Leaving home and being away from 'Mum's' home cooking.
2, Moving to a part of the world where the food is unfamiliar, therefore not eating so much due to being scared.
3, Walking vast distances each day as I do my work. The factory is on a huge site so I walk a couple of kilometers each day.
4, Learning to eat with chopsticks

On returning home to Phils for the new year I discovered all my shirts and shorts fitted a little better, so I know I am doing something right. Eating less, eating healthy and the exercise seems to be working for me. I will be happy to lose another stone but that will take time.

les_taxi
7th January 2013, 22:40
Unless you have some sort of medical condition I''m with Ricky Gervais on the fat issue-it's not an illness it's a lifestyle choice for many,people say yes but all the people who come from deprived areas etc etc they can only buy cheap crap food-well I notice these poor people get a taxi to and from cheap shop and have lots of carrier bags of rubbish food-along with wine,spirits,beer and fags!

sars_notd_virus
8th January 2013, 00:09
Unless you have some sort of medical condition I''m with Ricky Gervais on the fat issue-it's not an illness it's a lifestyle choice for many,people say yes but all the people who come from deprived areas etc etc they can only buy cheap crap food-well I notice these poor people get a taxi to and from cheap shop and have lots of carrier bags of rubbish food-along with wine,spirits,beer and fags!

looks like you are using the forums wide and deeply dipped tar brush !!:biggrin:...boy that brush gets well used:icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

ConfusedMe
8th January 2013, 04:03
Oh my god Moy!!! You got my ideal weight!

I was targeting 48 kg. I'm quite petite so weighing that much won't hurt. Still on the healthy BMI zone :smile:

Terpe
8th January 2013, 10:27
Think I'll change my target and terminology to "eating a little less and moving a little more"

Don't think anyone can argue with that .............. :Erm: