PDA

View Full Version : Migrant workers face 'severe exploitation' in Italy's farm sector

joebloggs
4th January 2013, 13:18
what is the point of the EU, surely it suppose to look after the interest of the citizens of the EU, why is there still no set minimum pay figure :doh yet they interfere in every other area :doh

Amnesty International report calls for urgent action to tackle 'widespread' abuse of migrants in the food sector. This follows two Ecologist investigations into 'slave labour' connected to the Italian tomato and orange harvests. Andrew Wasley reports

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_analysis/1750915/migrant_workers_face_severe_exploitation_in_italys_farm_sector.html

Dedworth
4th January 2013, 14:17
migrants from sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa and Asia

Employing non EU people - How about Italy's fellow EU citizens from relatively nearby Romania & Bulgaria ? They must have a lot of impoverished unskilled would be agricultural workers.

Or perish the thought crafty Italy doesn't want them :biggrin:

Terpe
4th January 2013, 16:20
I don't think Italy has a National minimum wage.

But here in UK we do have an enforceable National Minimum wage, yet still there are lots of folks working on farms who are shuttled around from farm to farm by the ever present gangmasters.
These workers also get exploited and treated like slaves.

Dedworth
4th January 2013, 16:48
I don't think Italy has a National minimum wage.

But here in UK we do have an enforceable National Minimum wage, yet still there are lots of folks working on farms who are shuttled around from farm to farm by the everpresent gangmasters.
These workers also get exploited and treated like slaves.

Wages aside Terpe I wonder what the EU's thoughts are on the Italians allowing non EU migrants from sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa and Asia to work ? Perhaps they are all married to Italians or have treaty Rights

Terpe
4th January 2013, 22:39
In all honesty Dedworth, I'm not a big fan of the EU.
I spent a lot of time in Italy and most of the folks I met are also not big fans.

Italy retains certain self-controls that UK gave up.
There's a lot of stuff that goes on in Italy that's beyond belief. We all know why :icon_rolleyes: