PDA

View Full Version : best tablet computer

stevewool
29th December 2012, 11:42
the laptop is getting a little old now, it still works but switching it on well you press the button and you are sitting back at the laptop with the cup of tea you have made while waiting for it to start, so next year a treat a tablet or laptop, truth is all we do on the lap top is put the pictures on then onto a external hard drive, never watch films on it or down load music, so what is going to be the best for us, Ems would love the ipad dont know why, i would like whats best for us whether its the ipad or something else, any help would be kind from you all

les_taxi
29th December 2012, 11:59
You just need to save your data,format it,reinstall drivers and your pc will be like the day you bought it.
You probably have to many progs starting up too,in run box type msconfig then hit return and you will see a box on screen,look for startup progs and disable them all,click apply-reboot and it should be quicker,also make sure you have only one anti-virus prog running:xxgrinning--00xx3:

BoholoX
29th December 2012, 12:42
Wife has an iPad, great to use and she does music/movies/Facebook/photos but the Android tablets are just as easy it's just we are used to iOS. Have used a Microsoft Surface as well which is better suited to business ( office integration) Surfing and chatting on a tablet is so much easier but you need a method of storage be it either USB disk or Cloud backup as storage is minimal compared to laptops. Screen on the iPad is awesome but there is a price premium to pay.

Terpe
29th December 2012, 12:46
I'm no expert at all. Far from it.
But I do have an iPad and I also have a laptop.

It really depends what you want to use it for.

I've seen a lot of products now that are both laptop and tablet, where the . touch screen can be unclipped from the keyboard. Maybe that would be idea for you.
The iPad is just superb at many things, but a pain for many things too.
We only take the iPad when we're travelling. So much more convenient.

stevewool
29th December 2012, 12:52
to Em its a name thing, but to me its what can be done by the best for what you want,lets wait and see what comes along, my trouble is all i want is a switch on and look,

Ako Si Jamie
29th December 2012, 13:08
No point in getting a new laptop really for those reasons Steve. Do what Les suggests. If you don't know how to do it yourself, take it to a computer shop. They charge about £35 to wipe all the crap off and it'll be like new.

As for the ipad - is it worth the money for what you want it to do?

Might be better to put the money aside for your next trip to Panglao! :xxgrinning--00xx3: :biggrin:

raynaputi
29th December 2012, 13:14
I have a laptop and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I use laptop during daytime, and the tablet at night. Mind you, I sometimes forget what time it is at night when I'm using the tablet for playing installed games there. :icon_lol: I still prefer my laptop though as it's more convenient for me. But I would never pay for an iPad when there are lots of cheaper and better tablets around. It's just a name.

tiger31
29th December 2012, 14:01
steve i had my laptop reformated cleaned from viruses etc and its great its like a new machine works twice as fast now ,thats all you need mate .

les_taxi
29th December 2012, 18:18
Steve how about this for an offer,if you want if you pay return postage send it to me I will sort it for you foc:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Not sure how much it would be but prob less than taking it to pc world/ripoff

Terpe
29th December 2012, 18:53
Steve how about this for an offer,if you want if you pay return postage send it to me I will sort it for you foc:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Not sure how much it would be but prob less than taking it to pc world/ripoff

Les, I've just sent 74 to you, when can I expect them back :icon_rolleyes:

Seriously Les, that's a nice gesture. Good on yer :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
29th December 2012, 19:35
Like doing em plus hate pc world robbing people:biggrin:

Jamesey
29th December 2012, 19:49
I've done a lot or research on this recently, since I was going to get my wife one for Christmas!

While Apple is good stuff, I don't think it's worth the price premium. You're also "locked in" to their operating system, apps, etc. IMHO Android is much better. It remains to be seen how the new Windows OS will perform. My wife has an iPhone, but she now prefers my HTC Android.

After doing my own research and getting the lowdown from some incredibly geeky mates, I decided to get a Google Nexus 10. It has a higher resolution display than the new iPad, as well as all the functionality you would expect from a high end Android tablet. It's actually made by Samsung, but has the Google badge. Price for the 16GB version is £319, which is well below the equivalent iPad.

Now the problem: you can only get them from Google Play and they're out of stock! My wife has agreed to wait until after Christmas, but there's no news on when they're likely to be available again. In fact, i've just taken a punt and written an e-mail to the Managing Director of Google in the UK to ask for some info!