PDA

View Full Version : Costochondritis a pain in the chest!

Moy
24th December 2012, 23:56
its a silly question but it just my mind wont rest at all found this in website and im thinking if this related to my symptom that i felt right now for the past few months that wont go away..think ive posted this on some thread here :cwm3:

Costochondritis a pain in the chest!:cwm25::cwm3: or is this a pulled muscle or just stress :xxaction-smiley-047:bigcry:

The condition is called costochondritis, which is more simply know as a strain of the sternum (that flat area at the front and centre of your chest where all the ribs join on to). It may also be considered as another form of a Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI).

grahamw48
25th December 2012, 00:03
I used to get that after doing chest expansions at the gym when I was a younger man. :smile:

Perhaps your hubby can rub some 'Vicks' on your chest. :Erm:

Moy
25th December 2012, 00:21
been to deep tissue massage graham she said i got tear on back muscle and seems my back muscle are tighten wit some very strong tension:doh:doh:cwm3:

Moy
25th December 2012, 15:36
anyone here had the same experience...to ease my confusion:cwm3::doh

joebloggs
25th December 2012, 16:05
your worrying too much, you've probably pulled a muscle :smile:

Moy
25th December 2012, 18:13
your worrying too much, you've probably pulled a muscle :smile:

well i am Joe..I got so much to do and it does refrain me from doin them plus my kids if you know what am sayin

cheekee
25th December 2012, 22:13
Costochondritis is inflammation of the muscles in the chest close to the sternal area (sternum)

The muscles that surround the ribs are the intercostal muscles and the pain is caused because when you breathe, you use these muscles.

Take some anti inflammatories and in time it should heal....

Moy
25th December 2012, 22:19
Costochondritis is inflammation of the muscles in the chest close to the sternal area (sternum)

The muscles that surround the ribs are the intercostal muscles and the pain is caused because when you breathe, you use these muscles.

Take some anti inflammatories and in time it should heal....
inflammatories? is that ie ibrufrofen? ive been trying some of those but it seems dont go away..i got full blood test count which the GP says was fine aside from a bit of slight infection that will clear on its own..am so anxious really..sometime u think to yourself if it was a serious probs :cwm3:
i dont ache when i breath it seems agrevate when i push or lift something heavy or if i put too much pressure on things etc..

Ako Si Jamie
26th December 2012, 20:15
All I know is that piles are a pain in the ....! :icon_lol:

Moy
26th December 2012, 21:02
All I know is that piles are a pain in the ....! :icon_lol:
YOU can laugh because you gotno idea

Terpe
26th December 2012, 21:16
Moy, it seems you've had no training.
Now you have some health problem. It's not a light hearted situation.
You need to think very seriously about your health condition.

In fact, from what you've said I would suggest you seriously re-consider the type of work you do.
As you know, my wife is a carer. She has worked for the council for many years. Means she has had the opportunity for some really top quality training which she has adopted. She is strong enough never to have agreed to do anything suspect.

Moy, as it stands right now you need to either be very much stronger in your job not to do those duties you cannot do alone.
Or
Better still take a couple of months off work then try to find a different job (or better controlled one) if thats possible.

Does your hubby work?
Is it full time??
He needs to stand up to the mark and take care of you and the kids

So sorry if that sounds too much. Please don't think less of me for that, but you cannot continue like this.

God Bless Moy

Moy
26th December 2012, 21:25
thanks for a kind reply terpe:wink:

sheriel
26th December 2012, 21:56
Moy,everyone tell you take time off work,everyone young and not so young get ill,maybe in a week or two,you will feel better,i hope so,tell your problem to another Doctor,it does not cost anything n our Country,unlike the Philippines,i have experience of ill in the Philippines. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
26th December 2012, 21:57
has the doc given you pain killers Ros?
if not you could try Co-codamol from the chemist should cost you about £1.25 for 32, it's a combination of two painkilling ingredients paracetamol and codeine
or go and see your GP again.

Moy
27th December 2012, 23:11
has the doc given you pain killers Ros?
if not you could try Co-codamol from the chemist should cost you about £1.25 for 32, it's a combination of two painkilling ingredients paracetamol and codeine
or go and see your GP again.

she didnt give anything Joe..she just say the last time i been there for the last 2-3 months now was take some paracetamol the oridinary one what we normall get from shop if i rem..and one co worker told me to get ibuprofen the non inflammatory one i cnt re..m:biggrin::cwm3:
but im feeling awkward to take any of that medicine thinking if it suit me or was it safe:wink:

grahamw48
27th December 2012, 23:55
They're all perfectly safe as long as you take as directed.

I was given Co-codamol at the hospital when I pulled the muscles in my neck, but you can't take it for long as it can become addictive.

Try Paracetamol first...about 15p for Tescos own brand. (16s)

All those with fancy names but cost 5 times the price are no different, so get the cheap stuff. :smile:

joebloggs
28th December 2012, 01:56
you don't need a prescription to buy them, but you can only buy them from chemist, as Graham has said don't take them for too long as some people can become addicted to them, paracetamol are probably not powerful enough that's why they are probably not working..

I've been taking co-codamol for a couple of weeks, got a trap nerve in my back. i'm not addictive to them, as some days i dont bother to take them,

Moy
28th December 2012, 18:13
thanks for the kind advice graham and Joe:wink:

Doc Alan
28th December 2012, 21:51
With respect Moy, you appear to have found “ costochondritis “ on the internet and now you’re wondering if your symptoms fit with this diagnosis.

For a start, it’s not inflamed muscles. As the name suggests, it’s inflammation of cartilage ( “ chondritis “ ) attaching ribs ( “ costo “ ) to the breastbone ( sternum ). The pain is made worse by anything moving the ribs ( breathing, coughing, sneezing ). The cause may be mechanical ( lifting patients ), or not be obvious ( “ viral infection “, stress ).

Sensible advice has already been given about painkillers ( paracetamol, ibuprofen ); local heat ( a “ hot water bottle “ ) - or even cold ( ice pack ) - may help. Avoid – where possible – the exercise which appears to start the pain.

It’s not widely known that painkillers should not be taken with alcohol – either to avoid a hangover, or to “ avoid stress “ and in the belief they will make you “ feel better “ . Both – in excess - may damage the liver. In any case, it’s best to take a known painkiller and follow the instructions, rather than buying expensive “ painkillers / cold / flu remedies “ containing more than one ingredient.

As I’ve said before on the forum, it can be difficult and not advisable to give categorical advice - or offer/confirm a diagnosis - purely on the basis of what a member has stated on a thread or post. Clinical examination is important – I’m also not a great fan of “ NHS Direct “ . If anyone is really worried they should see a pharmacist or doctor ( their own GP, one at an NHS “ drop in “ clinic, or in hospital Accident and Emergency ).

I also have reservations about prolonged use of painkillers, especially if they don’t seem to be working or the dose/strength keeps requiring to be increased.
Such use begs the question – is the diagnosis correct ?

In the case of “ costochondritis “, it’s usually self-limited ( but possibly lasting several months ) – especially in young patients.

However, it has to be said that there are other, more serious causes of chest pain, especially over the age of 35. The main one is coronary artery disease and this would require further investigation ( such as ECG or heart tracing, and chest X Ray ).

I don’t wish to cause undue alarm, but your regular postings of health-related questions shows that you’re worried and may need reassurance from your own doctor, in addition to the good advice given by other members.

Moy
28th December 2012, 22:02
Moy,everyone tell you take time off work,everyone young and not so young get ill,maybe in a week or two,you will feel better,i hope so,tell your problem to another Doctor,it does not cost anything n our Country,unlike the Philippines,i have experience of ill in the Philippines. :xxgrinning--00xx3: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

hi she..thanks for a kind reply:smile: and yes i know what you saying..but this feelin start 3 months ago and i did see a GP..and now for 5 months now still the same..it does get me at times as it does refrain me on doing things same with everybody else who use to feel all the time but it sudden make u feel worse..i know am not getting younger but i think we should look after ourselves correct:smile:

Moy
28th December 2012, 22:12
With respect Moy, you appear to have found “ costochondritis “ on the internet and now you’re wondering if your symptoms fit with this diagnosis.

For a start, it’s not inflamed muscles. As the name suggests, it’s inflammation of cartilage ( “ chondritis “ ) attaching ribs ( “ costo “ ) to the breastbone ( sternum ). The pain is made worse by anything moving the ribs ( breathing, coughing, sneezing ). The cause may be mechanical ( lifting patients ), or not be obvious ( “ viral infection “, stress ).

Sensible advice has already been given about painkillers ( paracetamol, ibuprofen ); local heat ( a “ hot water bottle “ ) - or even cold ( ice pack ) - may help. Avoid – where possible – the exercise which appears to start the pain.

It’s not widely known that painkillers should not be taken with alcohol – either to avoid a hangover, or to “ avoid stress “ and in the belief they will make you “ feel better “ . Both – in excess - may damage the liver. In any case, it’s best to take a known painkiller and follow the instructions, rather than buying expensive “ painkillers / cold / flu remedies “ containing more than one ingredient.

As I’ve said before on the forum, it can be difficult and not advisable to give categorical advice - or offer/confirm a diagnosis - purely on the basis of what a member has stated on a thread or post. Clinical examination is important – I’m also not a great fan of “ NHS Direct “ . If anyone is really worried they should see a pharmacist or doctor ( their own GP, one at an NHS “ drop in “ clinic, or in hospital Accident and Emergency ).

I also have reservations about prolonged use of painkillers, especially if they don’t seem to be working or the dose/strength keeps requiring to be increased.
Such use begs the question – is the diagnosis correct ?

In the case of “ costochondritis “, it’s usually self-limited ( but possibly lasting several months ) – especially in young patients.

However, it has to be said that there are other, more serious causes of chest pain, especially over the age of 35. The main one is coronary artery disease and this would require further investigation ( such as ECG or heart tracing, and chest X Ray ).

I don’t wish to cause undue alarm, but your regular postings of health-related questions shows that you’re worried and may need reassurance from your own doctor, in addition to the good advice given by other members.

thanks for reply Doc Allan..does blood test give enough inf about the status of your body organ..i did once but the GP told me it was fine aside from a very slight infection that it well clear on its own..
what i notice is the achy pain persist when the period coming (menstrual) which i got now.. plus if i set on odd or wrong position ,
and if i rem correctly this all started when im doin the domestic job..i lift 2 full yellow bag of nappies from carehome with both arms and put on the bin which the height is taller than me..and i do it in one both hand each..after that when i get home..i was really feeling lethargy and start to ache on my body and weeks i been in ache ..until now thats my concern that why the chest area ..:wink::anerikke:
plus i went to a deep tissue massage..she says i got very tight tension on my back, neck and muscle.. she feel the knots there and plus a tear muscle on my back..think i go back there again when i get tight..to ease the pain..:(

Doc Alan
28th December 2012, 23:14
Ever since I was a medical student I learned to take a " careful history " ( listen to the patient ) to make a diagnosis. You've provided two with your latest post - menstrual period and postural pains related to your work. The first is self-limiting and if massage helps the second - then go for it ( unless it's " masyadong mahal " ).

As for blood tests - a huge number are available on " multichannel analysers " with relatively small samples ! These may include " full blood count " ( for anaemia / infection and other conditions ) ; " U + E ( urea and electrolytes for body chemistry / kidney function ) ; LFTs ( liver function tests ) ; heart " enzymes " ; lipids ( cholesterol etc ) ; glucose ( sugar .... for diabetes ) ; and thyroid tests. Doctors used to be more specific in what they requested - nowadays many of these tests are done " routinely " . Finding a very slight abnormality is a mixed blessing - it MAY be important OR may cause alarm if no further abnormality is found. There's a happy medium between " targeted " and over - investigation !

Thankfully in the UK such investigations are free on the NHS - obviously as judged necessary by a doctor or nurse. In the Philippines it's often a different matter, and it can be hard for a patient to know whether tests are absolutely necessary.

Moy
29th December 2012, 21:31
went to nhs drop in center today to see a gp as i feel not right and my achy chest and shortness in breath from work only yo be told i might just have stress and anxiety is this reasonable reason:cwm25: GP told me there to see my OWN GP for more consoltation:anerikke:

Moy
29th December 2012, 21:44
As for blood tests - a huge number are available on " multichannel analysers " with relatively small samples ! These may include " full blood count " ( for anaemia / infection and other conditions ) ; " U + E ( urea and electrolytes for body chemistry / kidney function ) ; LFTs ( liver function tests ) ; heart " enzymes " ; lipids ( cholesterol etc ) ; glucose ( sugar .... for diabetes ) ; and thyroid tests. Doctors used to be more specific in what they requested - nowadays many of these tests are done " routinely " . Finding a very slight abnormality is a mixed blessing - it MAY be important OR may cause alarm if no further abnormality is found. There's a happy medium between " targeted " and over - investigation !

i am confuse Doc Alan so it means if you got slight infection regarding the blood test its a blessing:biggrin: not get it sorry if i sound ignorant just curious:icon_rolleyes:

Doc Alan
3rd January 2013, 11:03
Of course you’re not ignorant Moy, and I don’t wish to add to your confusion :smile: !

A “ mixed blessing “ is a “ colloquial “ phrase – meaning something which seems to be good, but in fact has bad effects as well as good effects. ( Getting promotion might be a mixed blessing because it means more money – a blessing – but less time with family – which might not be a blessing. )

It’s the same with blood tests – they may show up a definite abnormality which can be further investigated and treated ; or a slight abnormality which is hard to explain and causes anxiety.

I do hope that you can reduce your stress and anxiety in this New Year and wish you all the best ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
5th January 2013, 22:12
thanks for reply Doc Allan. my GP told me i might have Costochondritis symptom..:cwm3::cwm3: