PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Best board games

Terpe
22nd December 2012, 14:04
Christmas wouldn’t be the same without some games to play once the turkey has been scoffed. Here are the best of them...

1. Jaques backgammon set

£49.99 jaqueslondon.co.uk

Absolutely stunning and likely to be passed down through generations. Typical of the quality for which Jaques of London's craftsmen are world renowned.

2. Absolute Balderdash 20th anniversary edition

£24.49 whsmith.co.uk

If you're not already familiar with this hilarious bluffing game, you're in for such a treat, not to mention a lot of laughs.

3. Smart Ass

£17.99 toysrus.co.uk

A great one to play after Christmas lunch. Fun, loud and good for all the family. First player to shout out the correct answer wins the round.

4. Operation

£14.99 ocado.com

A classic that's great for younger ones. Use all your coordination and skill to remove the patient's ailments with the tweezers without setting off the buzzer.

5. Logo

£27.99 argos.co.uk

Identify images and answer questions based on logos, products and packaging of the UK's most well-known brands. There's a version for children too.

6. Cluedo The Classic Mystery Game

£16.99 selfridges.com

First one to solve the murder mystery wins. With brand new characters, this is a fun variation of an old favourite.

7. Pictionary Family Edition

£6.60 debenhams.com

Classic game of quick sketches and crazy guesses, where players draw out a series of clues based on themes such as "action" or "object" for their team to deduce.

8. Scrabble Original

£18.95 johnlewis.com

Scrabble was invented in 1931 by an unemployed architect, who simply played it with his friends until 1948 when it was finally manufactured on a large scale.

9. Monopoly Millionaire

£16 amazon.co.uk

First to get a million wins. A modern twist on one of the best loved games of all time, this version is all about making money as quick as you can.

10. Cranium New

£26.99 argos.co.uk

With 600 all-new cards, this smash hit board game has an innovative folding game board. You'll need four or more people over 13 and you choose how long the game will be.

Source:-
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-10-best-board-games-8424229.html

Ako Si Jamie
22nd December 2012, 14:15
The last time I played a board game was around 1986, so I only know the classics.

'Guess Who' was a good one too.

Terpe
22nd December 2012, 14:24
Our favourite is Scrabble. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jake
22nd December 2012, 14:36
Always hated scrabble as i am slightly dyslexic:doh Strange as my daughter used to win spelling contests at elementary school.
Cluedo and monopoly used to be two of my favourites.

Ako Si Jamie
22nd December 2012, 14:39
I play scrabble (wordfeud) daily on my phone and I win 99% of the time.

grahamw48
22nd December 2012, 14:42
Scrabble was great for helping to improve my stepkids' English, and I've always loved playing it.

The kids also really enjoyed Monopoly, another old favourite of mine (both still here on my shelf).

Card games too.

We used to play all of these games when we lived in the Phils, as I shipped them out there. Good for family 'bonding' too. :smile:

jake
22nd December 2012, 14:57
Never improved my english:icon_rolleyes: Have to ask my daughter to spell things on a regular basis.Think i will stick to tong it:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
22nd December 2012, 15:42
My stepdaughter couldn't speak any English until she was 7, having lived in the rural province most of her life, but came back here and got an 'A' grade English GCSE, along with another 10 all at 'A'...then 4 'A' Levels, then a good Degree from Nottingham Uni', now working as a production manager in New York at 23. Smart girl ! :smile:

Here she is, recently... before going to a fancy dress party in the Big Apple: :biggrin:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2916/lizzywithwig.jpg

raynaputi
22nd December 2012, 16:29
Scrabble! Keith and I got it in our phone and tablet..Plus sometime we play it via Facebook..I already beat him 2x in the 2 games we had..hahahaha :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bigmarco
23rd December 2012, 00:06
Scrabble! Keith and I got it in our phone and tablet..Plus sometime we play it via Facebook..I already beat him 2x in the 2 games we had..hahahaha :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes my wife and I play the facebook version 3 or 4 times a week. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
23rd December 2012, 00:07
I play scrabble (wordfeud) daily on my phone and I win 99% of the time.

Thanks for that Jamie - I've had a couple of games ,beaten both times !

stevie c
23rd December 2012, 00:18
My favourite also Peter :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
23rd December 2012, 00:21
Other classic games
Kerplunk
Bucking bronco
Ludo
Generation game