PDA

View Full Version : not warm enough

bhem_bhem
13th December 2012, 23:55
Hi, i put my boiler on 75 degrees celcius to heat the house but the heaters aren't that warm, is the heating distributed throughout the house? my concern is if 75 is too much? i don't want to be getting hammered on a gas bill.

by the way i am using ferroli domicondens he 26 c. thnx.

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 00:24
No idea.

I haven't even put the central heating on yet and my boiler doesn't have a temp. indicator on it (though they run more efficiently when set hotter). It's 8C in my bedroom. :biggrin:

Is the central heating pump working properly ? Do you have adjustable radiator valves ? (Put them to a higher setting where you need more heat).

Someone will be along soon that knows about these things. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

marksroomspain
14th December 2012, 00:32
Hi bhem_bhem had this problem myself had to bleed the radiators sometimes air gets trapped not allowing the hot water to circulate properly...

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 00:39
how u manage that?:yikes: it's bloody freezing..:icon_lol:

i have bleed all of them and i have adjusted the valves to the highest setting but it still not enough. i still need my hot water bottle, my pink fleece blanket and dressing gown bear in mind that i'm already wearing fluffy jim jams.. :biggrin::laugher:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 00:48
Hi bhem_bhem had this problem myself had to bleed the radiators sometimes air gets trapped not allowing the hot water to circulate properly...

i did the same,, from what i know when u put ur heating on, its supposed to burn u when u touch it but mine isn't.

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 00:51
I wonder if that's why the ex left ? :Erm:

I did find a small frozen brown stain on the sheet the other day...didn't realise it was a fart until I warmed it on the heater. :biggrin:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 00:57
I wonder if that's why the ex left ? :Erm:

I did find a small frozen brown stain on the sheet the other day...didn't realise it was a fart until I warmed it on the heater. :biggrin:

i'm not surprised why she left.. she can't stand the cold,, if i have my passport i have packed my things by now and bugger off to philippines :laugher:

tight bugger,, put ur heating on.. :laugher::laugher:

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 01:05
I have my electric heater on next to me here...just everywhere else no heating.

I'm a TOUGH Yorkshireman...and super Koriput ! :biggrin:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 01:31
I used electric heater before and tbf I prefer it than the radiator.

Speaking of kuripot, my asawa is like that. :biggrin: he's got nothing left now coz I bleed him dry.. :icon_lol::hubbahubba:

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 01:38
You're learning fast. :icon_lol:

Have to put my ski suit on and go to bed now... :freezin: :Wave:

London_Manila
14th December 2012, 02:54
I used electric heater before and tbf I prefer it than the radiator.

Speaking of kuripot, my asawa is like that. :biggrin: he's got nothing left now coz I bleed him dry.. :icon_lol::hubbahubba:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: :laugher:

Time to buy a new boiler diba.............

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 07:24
You're learning fast. :icon_lol:

Have to put my ski suit on and go to bed now... :freezin: :Wave:

:laugher: :Wave:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 07:31
:xxgrinning--00xx3: :laugher:

Time to buy a new boiler diba.............

I just had it this year. I've searched on line for reviews and most of them said its a crap boiler.:thumbsdown:

lovelymara
14th December 2012, 07:48
bhem, hahah finally. Nkapag sign up narin ako here. Hahaha. Musta? kala ko ibang bhem-bhem. Pag view ko, ehem! IKAW nga! hahah. toinks!

Michael Parnham
14th December 2012, 10:21
We have a Ferroli Optimax HE 31 C, and it seems ok, because we live in a grade 2 listed building it's not quite as warm as it should be (only singe glazing). If you have a thermostat that reads centigrade, you should only need to set it at 22oC I would just get it checked by a plumber. Hope you get it sorted Brrrrrrrrr!

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 10:35
I over-estimated.

It was 6C in the bedroom last night...but I appear to still be alive today.

Who needs heating ? :biggrin:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 11:10
bhem, hahah finally. Nkapag sign up narin ako here. Hahaha. Musta? kala ko ibang bhem-bhem. Pag view ko, ehem! IKAW nga! hahah. toinks!

Welcome to the forum bading.. :Jump: :smile:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 11:13
We have a Ferroli Optimax HE 31 C, and it seems ok, because we live in a grade 2 listed building it's not quite as warm as it should be (only singe glazing). If you have a thermostat that reads centigrade, you should only need to set it at 22oC I would just get it checked by a plumber. Hope you get it sorted Brrrrrrrrr!

Ok.. Thnx mike.. :smile:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 11:19
I over-estimated.

It was 6C in the bedroom last night...but I appear to still be alive today.

Who needs heating ? :biggrin:

:laugher: I can't stand it. The cold weather didnt bother me before but lately I get back and knee pain if I feel too cold. Must be getting old. :olddude::laugher:

Pete/London
14th December 2012, 13:12
If your hot water is ok and no fault codes are showing when the radiators are on then the boiler will probably be working ok. It could be that the radiators are undersized for the rooms and not able to bring the room temp up to a reasonable temperature.

I would suggest you have your boiler serviced by a independent gas safe registered engineer who can adjust your boiler and system as needed or give you an opinion on why your system is performing below par.
It may need to be chemically cleaned, or could be a gas supply problem.

A service I would guess to £60 to £65 in your part of the country and a descale/desludging £300 to £350.with a descaling pump.

dont be tempted to use friends or relatives unless they are gas safe registered and know what they are doing.

KeithD
14th December 2012, 13:33
Do you have any radiators that are hot? If so yo need to turn the flow into them down.
Are the radiator valves fully open?
When bleeding you need to close ALL other radiators.

Also to test the flow, turn all off, then one on ... see if it gets hot..... then close it and move onto the next one.... also bleed them while doing this. Once all checked and bled, you can turn them all back on. If they are still only warm they may need flushing due to slime in them causing blockages.

mickmyrna
14th December 2012, 18:14
Hi, i put my boiler on 75 degrees celcius to heat the house but the heaters aren't that warm, is the heating distributed throughout the house? my concern is if 75 is too much? i don't want to be getting hammered on a gas bill.

by the way i am using ferroli domicondens he 26 c. thnx. Hi there, Mick here! 75 degrees C is very high in my opinion - it'll be expensive if you set it to that....... me? I dont need the heating on so much; i have my own little hot water bottle - her name is Myrna!!!! :icon_lol:

sars_notd_virus
14th December 2012, 19:10
Hi, i put my boiler on 75 degrees celcius to heat the house but the heaters aren't that warm, is the heating distributed throughout the house? my concern is if 75 is too much?

Lol i think thats too hot:yikes:
I am actually not comfortable with full blast heating inside the house its giving me headache ...I always allow fresh air to flow inside the house everyday wheter its summer ,autumn or winter ..... anyway, all of our radiators got thermostat that i can turn off and on again.

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 19:19
Are we talking about BOILER temperature here, or central heating THERMOSTAT setting ? :Erm: Big difference. :smile:

If it's a thermostat to control actual temperature in the rooms, then it is customary to set it to 21C for living rooms and perhaps 15C for bedrooms.

Bear in mind that lowering the thermostat setting by 1 deg C could result in a 10% reduction on your heating bill. :smile:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:19
If your hot water is ok and no fault codes are showing when the radiators are on then the boiler will probably be working ok. It could be that the radiators are undersized for the rooms and not able to bring the room temp up to a reasonable temperature.

I would suggest you have your boiler serviced by a independent gas safe registered engineer who can adjust your boiler and system as needed or give you an opinion on why your system is performing below par.
It may need to be chemically cleaned, or could be a gas supply problem.

A service I would guess to £60 to £65 in your part of the country and a descale/desludging £300 to £350.with a descaling pump.

dont be tempted to use friends or relatives unless they are gas safe registered and know what they are doing.

when i go on shower, i noticed that it took ages to warm the water and it's hard to get the temperature right coz it sometimes suddenly turns cold. my living room is quite a long room but i've got 2 big radiators on there.

looks like i really need to ask someone to check it.

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:30
Do you have any radiators that are hot? If so yo need to turn the flow into them down.
Are the radiator valves fully open?
When bleeding you need to close ALL other radiators.

Also to test the flow, turn all off, then one on ... see if it gets hot..... then close it and move onto the next one.... also bleed them while doing this. Once all checked and bled, you can turn them all back on. If they are still only warm they may need flushing due to slime in them causing blockages.

when one of the radiator is not working, i closed the rest of them to unblock it. i do check now and again if one of them needs bleeding. i guess i've got no choice but call someone to check it. my last gas reading is 33 and now its 90. :NoNo:

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 20:35
What about Mr. Bhem Bhem ?

Does he not have any ideas ? :smile:

KeithD
14th December 2012, 20:37

He's IN the boiler :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:40
Hi there, Mick here! 75 degrees C is very high in my opinion - it'll be expensive if you set it to that....... me? I dont need the heating on so much; i have my own little hot water bottle - her name is Myrna!!!! :icon_lol:

yeah,, it is high. well that's the benefit of being married, u have someone to cuddle when it's cold.. :wink:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:43
Lol i think thats too hot:yikes:
I am actually not comfortable with full blast heating inside the house its giving me headache ...I always allow fresh air to flow inside the house everyday wheter its summer ,autumn or winter ..... anyway, all of our radiators got thermostat that i can turn off and on again.

yeah it should be too hot. even hubby feels cold too to think he's more used of this weather. :smile:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:45
Are we talking about BOILER temperature here, or central heating THERMOSTAT setting ? :Erm: Big difference. :smile:

If it's a thermostat to control actual temperature in the rooms, then it is customary to set it to 21C for living rooms and perhaps 15C for bedrooms.

Bear in mind that lowering the thermostat setting by 1 deg C could result in a 10% reduction on your heating bill. :smile:

i think it's boiler temperature.. :laugher: we don't have thermostat. :smile:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:50

Does he not have any ideas ? :smile:

no idea at all, i even taught him how to bleed the radiator.. :laugher:

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 20:53
He's IN the boiler :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

:laugher: :laughitupsmilie:

grahamw48
14th December 2012, 20:58
If you google the boiler make and serial number there wll probably be an online manual....also general info about heating systems. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you can't figure it out, I'd call a 'Gas Safe' heating engineer (not a plumber)

You'll probably save more than his fee on reduced gas bills. :smile:

Terpe
14th December 2012, 21:32
Radiators are only heated when the boiler is 'on', the radiator valves open, and the time clock is switched to "on".
Even then if the room thermostat senses that the room temperature is at the required level, the boiler will not come on.
If the room thermostat is set at 20 deg.C and senses that the room temperature is registering 20 deg.C , then the boiler will not operate and the radiators will cool down.
The radiators will remain cool until the air temperature falls and the room thermostat calls for more heat.
If radiators are heating up unevenly they may need "bleeding".

If you can't get your system to behave after all the advice, better you spend some money now to put it right than be cold and need to pay for a very high gas bill.

Is your shower an electric shower or is it connected to the hot water system?

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 21:42
If you google the boiler make and serial number there wll probably be an online manual....also general info about heating systems. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

If you can't figure it out, I'd call a 'Gas Safe' heating engineer (not a plumber)

You'll probably save more than his fee on reduced gas bills. :smile:

Yeah will do, its better than paying massive bills.

bhem_bhem
14th December 2012, 21:44
Radiators are only heated when the boiler is 'on', the radiator valves open, and the time clock is switched to "on".
Even then if the room thermostat senses that the room temperature is at the required level, the boiler will not come on.
If the room thermostat is set at 20 deg.C and senses that the room temperature is registering 20 deg.C , then the boiler will not operate and the radiators will cool down.
The radiators will remain cool until the air temperature falls and the room thermostat calls for more heat.
If radiators are heating up unevenly they may need "bleeding".

If you can't get your system to behave after all the advice, better you spend some money now to put it right than be cold and need to pay for a very high gas bill.

Is your shower an electric shower or is it connected to the hot water system?

It's connected to the hot water system.. :)

Pete/London
15th December 2012, 00:34
when i go on shower, i noticed that it took ages to warm the water and it's hard to get the temperature right coz it sometimes suddenly turns cold. my living room is quite a long room but i've got 2 big radiators on there.

looks like i really need to ask someone to check it.

From what you describe it does sound like a scale/sludge problem.As I said before best have it checked out for confirmation as there are other possibilities.Dirty or partially blocked fan venturi`s can also cause the boiler to cycle on and off.

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 00:44
From what you describe it does sound like a scale/sludge problem.As I said before best have it checked out for confirmation as there are other possibilities.Dirty or partially blocked fan venturi`s can also cause the boiler to cycle on and off.

yeah,, will do as i'm really worried of our bill this month.. thnx.. :smile:

Iani
15th December 2012, 02:12
Taking a shower and the water suddenly turns cold? Now this I have heard of (from experience). Could be a number of things - pressure dropped in the equaliser (not sure of it's real name) inside the boiler. Water pressure not up to correct level, faulty thermostat etc.
Common theme - the boiler needs looking at.

As for the thermostat being at 75 degrees, well that must be the boiler and therefore water in the radiators temperature (Couldn't possibly be the room thermostat for glaringly obvious reasons). 75 should be ample for getting the house really warm, I think mine is set at about 60.
You won't really get hammered for the gas bill setting the boiler temp higher, as it will get the rooms warmer faster, and should then switch off, however it is more efficient to have the temperature lower, so that the boiler condenses at optimum level. These boilers at full whack run at about 24kw :omg: but once it settles into a steady running, this will drop to about 7kw I'm told.

If your boiler though is only a year old, no way should this not be heating the house.

You really need it looked at.

I'm one to talk though, I sit under a duvet most nights with the heat off

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 02:50
Taking a shower and the water suddenly turns cold? Now this I have heard of (from experience). Could be a number of things - pressure dropped in the equaliser (not sure of it's real name) inside the boiler. Water pressure not up to correct level, faulty thermostat etc.
Common theme - the boiler needs looking at.

As for the thermostat being at 75 degrees, well that must be the boiler and therefore water in the radiators temperature (Couldn't possibly be the room thermostat for glaringly obvious reasons). 75 should be ample for getting the house really warm, I think mine is set at about 60.
You won't really get hammered for the gas bill setting the boiler temp higher, as it will get the rooms warmer faster, and should then switch off, however it is more efficient to have the temperature lower, so that the boiler condenses at optimum level. These boilers at full whack run at about 24kw :omg: but once it settles into a steady running, this will drop to about 7kw I'm told.

If your boiler though is only a year old, no way should this not be heating the house.

You really need it looked at.

I'm one to talk though, I sit under a duvet most nights with the heat off

Yeah, I've read the manual but I couldn't understand it. Too much for my little brain to handle.:doh I'll best leave it to the expert.. :smile:

stevewool
15th December 2012, 08:32
i hope you are not still wearing your short shorts and flip flops:icon_lol:, try wearing a hat and even a jumper, do lots of housework and if that all fails stay in bed with a hot water bottle, plus wear some good thick socks, heating on BAA HUMBUG

Michael Parnham
15th December 2012, 09:16
I switch our heating on and off as required, cos I dont know how to set the timer, but we never have it on during the night, I hope you get yours sorted bhem bhem!!

stevewool
15th December 2012, 10:01
thats how i do it Michael, i always ask Ems do you want the heating on with a growl in my voice :icon_lol::icon_lol:,

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 10:08
i hope you are not still wearing your short shorts and flip flops:icon_lol:, try wearing a hat and even a jumper, do lots of housework and if that all fails stay in bed with a hot water bottle, plus wear some good thick socks, heating on BAA HUMBUG

no way i can wear short shorts at this time.. :icon_lol: i'm wrapped up with fleece jim jams, fleece dressing gown and fleece blanket plus my hot water bottle.. :laugher: when i'm in bed i use 2 duvets, one is 15 tog and the other is 10.5 tog, one on top of the other and again with my hot water bottle.. :laughitupsmilie:

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 10:13
I switch our heating on and off as required, cos I dont know how to set the timer, but we never have it on during the night, I hope you get yours sorted bhem bhem!!

thnx mike.. we only use it between 4-10pm, we turn it off before we go to bed.. :smile:

stevewool
15th December 2012, 10:15
you will get use to it soon, best way all the time is to wear layers,the house is cold this time of year, its the damp weather that is making it this way, i must admit Ems has got use to this weather and you will too, wait until its snowing then you will enjoy it better

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 10:15
i always ask Ems do you want the heating on with a growl in my voice :icon_lol::icon_lol:,

hubby do that as well,,:laugher:

stevewool
15th December 2012, 10:19
have you got any thermal cloths, teeshirt vest and leggings, they do help, primark sells them , even i wear the teeshirts

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 10:26
you will get use to it soon, best way all the time is to wear layers,the house is cold this time of year, its the damp weather that is making it this way, i must admit Ems has got use to this weather and you will too, wait until its snowing then you will enjoy it better

it didn't bother me before but i'm aching lately.. i'm not sure but i think i've got arthritis..:olddude: :laugher: my knee and back drive me mad..

if my memory serves me right, last 20009 winter was bad but then i'm not bothered. i even played outside even if the snow was 16cm thick i think (i'm not keen of snow btw lol)..

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 10:30
have you got any thermal cloths, teeshirt vest and leggings, they do help, primark sells them , even i wear the teeshirts

yeah,, i wear leggings or thermal knee pad under my jeans when i go out.. :icon_lol:

stevewool
15th December 2012, 10:46
well it may be best then for you and hubby to get back to the hils as soon as possible, its not as cold there as here i dont think

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 11:06
i really wish.. :):smile:

stevewool
15th December 2012, 11:22
we are going back next xmas for a months holiday, should be nice in bohol at that time warm seas and blue skies, nice:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
15th December 2012, 11:30
it didn't bother me before but i'm aching lately.. i'm not sure but i think i've got arthritis..:olddude: :laugher: my knee and back drive me mad..

if my memory serves me right, last 20009 winter was bad but then i'm not bothered. i even played outside even if the snow was 16cm thick i think (i'm not keen of snow btw lol)..

Just a tip as regards winter clothing:

Try to buy outer garments (jumpers/cardigans etc) made from WOOL rather than man-made fibres like Acrilan. They are so much warmer. Man-made fibres are just CHEAP.

I've noticed the difference from when we were kids and always wore clothes made from cotton or wool. We were much cosier, although our clothes needed a bit more care. Well worth it. :smile:

Trefor
15th December 2012, 11:34
Bhem Bhem - if the heating used to work fine and doesn't now then get a heating engineer out to check it. This is the time of year boilers tend to break down as they are under the greatest load. Also, if the boiler is inside your house (and not in the garage or similar) and it is faulty it could be leaking carbon monoxide into the house - this is a deadly killer, you simply won't wake up one morning if you get gassed, no smell, invisible, tasteless. So have Mr Bhem Bhem get his wallet out and call an engineer!

Btw, my Rose drifts around the house in next to no clothing most of the time, even when I'm complaining about being chilly! Guess I got a good one :biggrin:

Btw2 our heating has also gone wrong. I'm renting a place for a year and we're waiting for the landlord's plumber. I wish he had British Gas Homecare ... Luckily I managed to get ours running for a while to warm things up.

stevewool
15th December 2012, 11:36
long ago when i was poor, we had our holidays at skegness home a place where your parents could send the kids on a holiday for free, anyway in those days everything was made of wool, gloves, balaclava hats and even 1 lad had woolen swimming trunks, they looked great before he went in swimming in the north sea, but when he came out he looked like he was pulling a long trawler net behind him, he did not wear them again:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 11:44
thnx.. if i could i would wear ski suit everyday..:laugher:

i remember i used to go out drinking with my friends in my skirt or dress:yikes:,, i can't do it anymore,, too cold for me.. oh my days..:icon_lol:

grahamw48
15th December 2012, 11:49
long ago when i was poor, we had our holidays at skegness home a place where your parents could send the kids on a holiday for free, anyway in those days everything was made of wool, gloves, balaclava hats and even 1 lad had woolen swimming trunks, they looked great before he went in swimming in the north sea, but when he came out he looked like he was pulling a long trawler net behind him, he did not wear them again:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Ah those woollen trunks. :laugher:

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 11:52
Bhem Bhem - if the heating used to work fine and doesn't now then get a heating engineer out to check it. This is the time of year boilers tend to break down as they are under the greatest load. Also, if the boiler is inside your house (and not in the garage or similar) and it is faulty it could be leaking carbon monoxide into the house - this is a deadly killer, you simply won't wake up one morning if you get gassed, no smell, invisible, tasteless. So have Mr Bhem Bhem get his wallet out and call an engineer!

Btw, my Rose drifts around the house in next to no clothing most of the time, even when I'm complaining about being chilly! Guess I got a good one :biggrin:

Btw2 our heating has also gone wrong. I'm renting a place for a year and we're waiting for the landlord's plumber. I wish he had British Gas Homecare ... Luckily I managed to get ours running for a while to warm things up.

it was warm when we had our boiler so we didn't know something's wrong with it.. oh i wish i can do that here, wear clothes next to nothing, hubby will be pleased. :icon_lol:

bhem_bhem
15th December 2012, 11:53

:laugher::laugher: