PDA

View Full Version : Philippines traffic

Doc Alan
3rd December 2012, 22:03
I decided I would not like to drive in the Philippines when I first visited over 30 years ago, and traffic now is a lot worse. In all my visits I’ve been quite happy to let someone else drive, whether it’s a taxi, van, bus, jeepney or tricycle. It’s always a relief to arrive at my destination !

According to the World Health Organization ( WHO ), road traffic accidents ( RTA’s ) kill more people around the world than malaria, especially young people in so-called developing countries.

It’s difficult to obtain accurate figures for the Philippines – WHO claimed over 8,000 fatal RTA’s ( 11/100,000 or 2% of deaths ) in 2011. Almost half of registered vehicles in the Philippines are motor cycles, and this is reflected in the accident rates – especially in young people.
India has the highest absolute number of recorded fatal RTA’s. In the UK there were under 2000 deaths from RTA’s ( 0.5% ) in the same year.

Of course, there are far more non-fatal serious or slight injuries on the roads. There are other consequences, which are causing serious concern – especially, as I observed last month, in Metro Manila and Cebu City.

The spectre of wasted time, fuel, and frayed tempers repeats itself on the roads of Metro Manila every single workday – not to mention “ off peak “ times and long term health consequences.

While I was in the Philippines, I became aware of various suggestions - by filipinos - for practical solutions :-

• Clean up illegal parking. Vehicles park along major roads like Katipunan Avenue with impunity. There should be zero tolerance and high fines for parking on such roads.

• Discipline buses and jeepneys. Jeepneys stop for passengers anywhere they wish. Many may congregate on areas such as U-turn slots ( Marcos Highway in front of Robinsons East ). Also on the Marcos Highway, jeepneys accumulate in front of the MRT station and commuters queue on the highway itself.

• Re-evaluate the U-turn schemes. They need to be properly designed and the road suitably widened. During peak volume hours, some U-turns might be closed.

• Rationalise the bus scheme. Remove buses from EDSA. With the MRT in operation, there is no need for 4000 buses on this road. Relocate provincial bus terminals to the northern and southern ends of the city. Implement bus routes with proper stops. One or two bus companies to run the entire network.

• Strict inspection of motor vehicles. Ancient trucks carrying 25 tons of cargo are a recipe for disaster, as are failed brakes and broken steering.

• Enforce restriction of vehicle use by numberplate.

• Enforce driving test. Zero tolerance of drink driving, or use of cell phones while driving. Enforce use of seatbelts.

• Consider selective closure of highways such as EDSA one day ( Sunday ) each week. Over 2 million vehicles are said to pass through EDSA daily, making it the busiest – and most polluting - highway in the country.

• Increase the minimal amount of cycle lanes already in existence.

Of course there may be other solutions to at least alleviate the problem. The option of doing nothing will inevitably lead to more frustration, wastage of time, pollution with its health consequences, minor / serious accidents and deaths.

• Jeepney in Makati Avenue

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1030268.jpg

• Waiting for passengers

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1020603.jpg

• Jeepney in Pateros

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1020602.jpg

• Late evening in Makati Avenue before reduced traffic

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1030351.jpg

• Smog from dawn – over Mandaluyong City

http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj517/DocAlan/P1030315.jpg

lastlid
3rd December 2012, 22:05
Makes a lot of sense to me. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A good summary.

lastlid
3rd December 2012, 22:44
Also improve the railway infrastructure and get vehicles off the roads.

London_Manila
3rd December 2012, 23:06
Way too many buses and coaches in Manila and these just cause more traffick jams

They really need to invest in a decent railway system across Luzon

Mrt and Lrt are fine but offer a very limited service so thats why so many people use the buses

That pic taken in Makati seems to be taken from the roof garden of the City Garden Hotel or very close to there :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
3rd December 2012, 23:23
Would help too if motorists used their lights at night too :yikes:.

I remember trying to cross a six lane highway in San Fernando at night and cars rushing past some with no lights doing 50mph. It was like playing frogger. :Help1:

andy222
3rd December 2012, 23:31
It might seem a bit odd but I am amused by it. I have driven in the philippines not in manila though. It makes me laugh some of the things they get up to. Maybe I am comparing it to here. At the end of the day its their country and we are visitors.

jake
4th December 2012, 02:51
Doc some very good suggestions but it is only going to get worse. Have seen and heard over the years about different strategies that could provide a solution to manila's traffic problem. Whenever they are implemented they usually cause more traffic:icon_rolleyes:
Every year traffic congestion costs the economy billions of pesos.
Fatalities on the roads are much higher than the numbers recorded.
I drive over 1,000km a week and go to manila at least 3 times a week. There are certain times of the day that the traffic is not as bad. Must admit after years of trying to be a responsible, considerate driver ive become a 'can't beat em join em' one!

jake
4th December 2012, 03:32
In September i was renewing my Philippine drivers license which you have to do every 3 years on your birthday or before.
Part of the medical involves a eye test. The young girl in front of me sat down next to the optician and he asked her to read the eye chart. She couldn't read any of the letters and all he said was you need to wear glasses. He then proceeded to tick the pass box:yikes:
I also know of a driver who has a drivers license and is legally blind. Double:yikes::yikes:

fred
4th December 2012, 07:19
In September i was renewing my Philippine drivers license which you have to do every 3 years on your birthday or before. Had to pass my smoke test last year before renewing my registration.. Passed with flying colours despite my tail pipe not being connected to the rear muffler. You got to love em!

andy222
4th December 2012, 10:48
smoke test? you mean they have emmision tests there?:biggrin:

jake
4th December 2012, 11:11
Of course! Once your vehicle is over 3 years old its every year. Costs about 3,000 to 4,000 pesos for the MOT thingy and road tax. Everything passes though:icon_rolleyes:

lastlid
4th December 2012, 11:41
Of course! Once your vehicle is over 3 years old its every year. Costs about 3,000 to 4,000 pesos for the MOT thingy and road tax. Everything passes though:icon_rolleyes:

:biggrin:

lastlid
4th December 2012, 12:46
Enforce restriction of vehicle use by numberplate.

This is already in place.

andy222
4th December 2012, 12:51
I have noticed.:icon_lol:

Trefor
4th December 2012, 13:09

Perhaps cars only pass IF the DO emit enough smoke and fumes :action-smiley-081:

Trefor
4th December 2012, 13:11
Would help too if motorists HAD LIGHTS TO USE at night too :yikes:.

I've fixed that for you :smile:

Many of the motorbikes and tricycles seem to not even have them wired up.

FilipinaDiver
5th December 2012, 05:48
Very informative post! Allow me to share you a link of a good read "Attach of the Killer Buses"
http://www.spot.ph/featured/29874/attack-of-the-killer-buses/

My fave part would be:
Maybe we need emotional quotient tests. The only drivers we should allow are those who understand that the faster bus on the other lane is not a slur against his pride and personal dignity. The only drivers we should allow are those who understand how their diagonally sprawled buses are inconveniencing three other lanes. Maybe add some anger management classes, etiquette, and obedience training (Sit, Brownie, sit!).