PDA

View Full Version : British Culture: 9 things I still don’t get about Britain

lastlid
2nd December 2012, 22:20
Here’s a list of 9 things the author still doesn't get about Britain.

XENOPHOBIA

This is a hard subject to write about because it straddles the line between racism and politics but it’s something that really bothers me. A large percentage of the British population can’t stand foreigners and make it quite plain. It’s all over the media, the newspapers and sometimes the way you’re treated once you open your mouth.
What’s most astonishing is the double think, they’re proud of their multi-cultural society but yet they want to close the borders and keep people out. Their immigration system is locked up so tight it’s just not possible for Americans, Canadians or others from English-speaking countries to move there unless you’re wealthy or marry a Brit.
On the one hand, they’ll be welcoming to outsiders, on the other hand they ‘tut-tut’ at being overrun with foreigners. They have a special disdain for Eastern Europeans (except the ones that work hard). What’s most confusing is the distinction between ‘good foreigners’ (i.e. white ones) and ‘bad foreigners’ (i.e. brown ones). We’re all foreigners. Britain has been continually changed by foreign influences from people coming to live there. While there are recognizable problems with integration throughout Britain, overall being open to foreigners is a GOOD THING.

CYNICISM

Cynicism is basically a bed rock of British character and sometimes it’s interesting or amusing. But most of the time it infuriates me. Sometimes the British can just be so unbelievably negative that it boggles my mind.
But they would probably say the opposite about us Americans, we’re probably too optimistic and cheery for their liking.
Their cynicism can lead to some great humor, but when you experience it for a long period of time, you can’t stand being around people who are so negative. It starts to infect your own personality.
If you want an example of this, read the Daily Mail every day for a week. If you do, you’ll hate the government, immigrants, people who live on benefits, the NHS, rich people, poor people, Londoners, northerners… I could go on.

BARLEY WATER

I bought this one time in the British section of the grocery store. I thought it was orange juice and I thought, oh how nice, British orange juice!
IT WAS NOT ORANGE JUICE.
It was probably the most disgusting liquid I ever put into my mouth.
Why does this drink exist, Britain? Why?
THE DRINKING

A common stereotype of Britain is that it’s a nation of drunkards. While not everyone drinks to excess in Britain, they do drink quite a bit. This is something that boggles my mind.
The problem I have when traveling to Britain is that I’m a teetotaler – I rarely drink and can’t stomach the taste of alcohol (it’s more taste over principle). This is all well and good but I’m missing out on a huge aspect of British culture because everyone hangs out at the pub after work or to close a business deal. It’s an incredibly social part of Britain and I know I’m missing out because I don’t understand it.
I don’t think I could work in the UK because I couldn’t handle constantly going to the pub with my co-workers and drinking away the sorrows of the work day. It’s just not the way I roll.

TOAST AS A TREAT

In America, toast is the lowest on the totem pole of Breakfast importance. It’s often the last thing you really think about and is standard with breakfast everywhere. I’m not a fan of toast per se and don’t really eat it.
In Britain, toast is a treat. A lovely snack to be savored not just at breakfast but anytime throughout the day – toast is an acceptable snack any time. I challenge you to admire the ecstasy that happens watching a Brit have some toast in the afternoon. It’s hilarious.
Come on, guys, it’s toast!

POOR SERVICE

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten good service in Britain. I don’t know what it is – maybe it’s the prominence of Eastern Europeans in the service industry (but Brits themselves are just as bad).
Now, you’re just as likely to get bad service in the States – but generally service professionals do a better job – even the really bad ones.

Service is the worst in chain restaurants geared towards tourists. Service improves the further you get out of London, though.
Why do the British continually put up with this?

MONTY PYTHON

I’m going to drop a bombshell here.
I can’t stand Monty Python.
I don’t find it funny and I just don’t get it.
I love British comedy but I can never sit through an episode (or movie) of Monty Python.
I know this makes me a bad Anglophile but that’s just the way it is.

ANTI-LONDONISM

London is a shining beacon in the world. It’s a world city, a beautiful city full of life and culture.
And most British people will not hesitate to slag it off (to borrow a British term).
If one more British Person tells me to ‘get out of London’ and ‘see the real Britain’ I’m going to scream. Yes, most of us are aware that there is a whole country outside of London. We know that Britain does not equal London.
We just happen to Love London too. Many Britons have a love/hate relationship with their capital leaning towards hate – but we love it with all its flaws.
It’s really hard for tourists to leave London, renting a car is expensive and traveling by train is confusing to tourists (who come from a country pretty much without them). So, don’t be angry that many tourists like to stick to London and take advantage of everything it has to offer, at least for their first few trips. London is a thriving economic engine for the rest of Britain, whether they like it or not.
Look at the bright side, that just means less tourists and foreigners in your local villages!

TEARING DOWN THE SUCCESSFUL

I’ve been watching this get worse with the advent of the world’s current economic difficulties. The British love to tear down the successful, whether it’s sneering at someone who’s gotten rich, finding ways to criticize them or tearing them down in other ways.
American is a land of optimism and opportunity and we hold the entrepreneur up with very high regard, Not so much in Britain. We admire people who take a .... life and turn it around into something better. The British are fine if people continue to wallow in their misfortune. There’s not a lot of drive to improve yourself and fix your life.
As someone who is a big believer in taking control of your life and fixing the problems in it – I just don’t understand this. Not only that, it pervades all classes and sub-cultures. People are content to be suffering and won’t do a damn thing to fix their problems or work out of it.

http://www.anglotopia.net/british-identity/humor/british-culture-9-things-i-still-dont-get-britain/

joebloggs
2nd December 2012, 22:53
couldn't they manage to find one more to make it 10 :doh

jonnijon
2nd December 2012, 23:08
Damned colonials :cwm23: :icon_lol:

imagine
2nd December 2012, 23:13
perhaps 10 could be titled why dont brits like americans :icon_rolleyes::icon_lol:

bigmarco
2nd December 2012, 23:16
Their immigration system is locked up so tight it’s just not possible for Americans, Canadians or others from English-speaking countries to move there unless you’re wealthy or marry a Brit

Another American talking :censored:

grahamw48
3rd December 2012, 00:03
They made their choice in 1776....and never let us forget it.

Stuff em I say.:smile:

grahamw48
3rd December 2012, 00:05

Stuff em I say.

Oh, and then there's the small matter of 300+ years of back taxes they owe us.:smile:

imagine
3rd December 2012, 00:14

Stuff em I say.

Oh, and then there's the small matter of 300+ years of back taxes they owe us.:smile:

awwww come on dont be so hard on them , after all they did win the war for us brits, well according to their american war movies they did :Erm:

grahamw48
3rd December 2012, 00:21
Oh, not doubting their contribution as allies (even though they had to be practically dragged kicking and screaming from what I've read).

I'm always amused at how they 'borrow' our history, which seems strange seeing as the majority of Americans probably have a minimal percentage of British DNA nowadays.

Apparently even in Australia only about 35% of the current inhabitants can now claim direct ancestry from 'the mother country'.

Iani
3rd December 2012, 00:44
American - "If it wasn't for us back in WW2, you'd all be speaking German".

Brit - "Actually if it wasn't for us standing alone in the world against Germany, at the known decimation of the British economy which we knew even then would never recover, giving you time to prepare, along with the Russians joining in - then YOU would be speaking Japanese.
Oh and that country to the immediate west of Britain which you all seem to like pretending is your friend, and how you are really all somehow from there, and how you funnelled funds to terrorists from there to bomb British cities in the 70's and 80's, well after WW2 ended, how come you seem to like to forget their government sent a "sorry you lost" letter to the Germans.
And whilst we're on the subject, remember it is Britain who has stood by you to the extreme detriment of our own security, after you were attacked by terrorists of YOUR OWN MAKING in the first place, despite your support again when we were being attacked, and despite your bullying blackmail during the Suez crisis, which if you had not wanted the job of world bullyboy, the British and French were on the verge of winning"

Oh and you're all fat too :xxaction-smiley-047

grahamw48
3rd December 2012, 00:52
So, I think we're agreed then...they're all fat ungrateful mongrel tax dodgers who wear comedy checked trousers and should be speaking Japanese. :biggrin:

Anyone like to weigh in ? :icon_lol:

imagine
3rd December 2012, 00:59
at least theres one good american thing :Erm:

i like their movies :icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
3rd December 2012, 07:41
It's that special relationship eh. Sigh. :biggrin:

lastlid
3rd December 2012, 09:50
Katherine says: I agree with Matt, there are a number of xenophobic, miserable Brits but only a few. Probably more accurate!

July 30, 2012 at 1:05 pm

"I’m English and I agree with Matt more or less.........Don’t think of British people as xenophobic, miserable people please because though there happens to be a few of those, they’re not the majority, they just make themselves heard a great deal."

Dakila
4th December 2012, 11:32
I definitely agree with the toast and poor service. Sadly, good service really is a premium here in the UK, especially in London. You will have to pay the price to make you feel like a valuable customer, be it at retail, hospitality, events, etc. In the Philippines, everyone falls all over themselves just to serve you :anerikke:

Toast...well, I'm not really a bread person to begin with, but I just find that toast is really not very nutritious. :yawn:

lastlid
4th December 2012, 11:40
Sadly, good service really is a premium here in the UK, especially in London. You will have to pay the price to make you feel like a valuable customer, be it at retail, hospitality, events, etc. In the Philippines, everyone falls all over themselves just to serve you :anerikke:

Me too. I found the service in the Philippines to be superior to the UK, unless you pay a premium here.

les_taxi
4th December 2012, 21:15
Must admit the Yanks are the best tippers-I always get a decent tip off them :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Never ever a tip from muslims or japs/chinks :icon_lol:

fred
5th December 2012, 00:12
In the Philippines, everyone falls all over themselves just to serve you :anerikke:

Yeah,they fall all over themselves before advising us that the product is
"out of stock Sir"....and dont you hate it when they follow you around the store? Its like being stalked for cryin out loud!! They follow me right to the exit when they do that..

Back on topic... I agree with 2,3 and 9.

raynaputi
5th December 2012, 00:47
My views on this..

1. Hmmm...being a newly immigrant here, all I can say is that I'm glad that I'm a Filipina as I can read from newspapers that there are certain Asian races or EU nationalities that people of this country don't want.

2. Again, I would based my views on the stories I read and I do think what the author of the article above says is kinda true.

3. Best fresh orange juice I had was in Singapore.. :biggrin:

4. I don't drink beer or any other alcoholic drinks so I don't go to the pub..but yeah, I noticed too the importance of pubs here..even the shows Emmerdale and Coronation Street or such shows there would always be scenes in the pub (I don't watch these shows but a friend does and she keeps on pointing this out)..

5. Toast is not something that I would prefer on my meal or any snack..I'm really not a bread person, but Keith is..that's why we got stocks of bread in the freezer! :omg:

6. We usually eat in a Chinese restaurant or buffet whenever Keith and I go out for a meal and most servants there are Chinese, and so far no poor service..:biggrin:

7. I don't know Monty Python..sorry :biggrin:

8. Keith and his friends don't like London..As a foreigner, I want to see it though..but Keith always tell me there's nothing good in there..:doh

9. I agree to this..you only have to read the comments on the online newspapers about how most of these people always criticize the rich, famous and successful people.

London_Manila
5th December 2012, 01:37
Me too. I found the service in the Philippines to be superior to the UK, unless you pay a premium here.

Service is ok in the Philippines but not on par with Thailand

London_Manila
5th December 2012, 01:41
Yeah,they fall all over themselves before advising us that the product is
"out of stock Sir"....and dont you hate it when they follow you around the store? Its like being stalked for cryin out loud!! They follow me right to the exit when they do that..

Back on topic... I agree with 2,3 and 9.

I hate all the sales people in the phills they just wont leave you alone
I like to browse in a department store not have someone annoying me

browsing is impossible in Manila :icon_rolleyes:

Even in the greenbelt marks and sparks store they tried to hassle me

London_Manila
5th December 2012, 01:42
Must admit the Yanks are the best tippers-I always get a decent tip off them:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Japs are good tippers in London :smile:

London_Manila
5th December 2012, 01:54
I suggest that toast is probably as nutritious as plain boiled rice :wink:

I do/can eat rice but i find it kind of tasteless = it tastes of nothing
It kind of dries you out as well and it makes your gut stick out
eating rice on its own is like having toast without any butter on it.................

London_Manila
5th December 2012, 01:57
Reasons for the poor service here is because brits dont make good servants

London_Manila
5th December 2012, 02:05
Everything happens in London so of course the rest of the country is jealous
yes jealous thats right nothing ever happens of importance in your part of the UK
Also if you want to see any decent events then you have to head here
I never found any good reason to leave London yet.............:Hellooo:

Steve.r
5th December 2012, 02:34
I never found any good reason to leave London yet.............:Hellooo:

Apart from your love of manila right ??

lastlid
5th December 2012, 08:54
My wife doesnt quite understand toast. We had cold beans on almost equally cold toast last night! :yikes:

lastlid
5th December 2012, 09:01
Everything happens in London so of course the rest of the country is jealous
yes jealous thats right nothing ever happens of importance in your part of the UK
Also if you want to see any decent events then you have to head here

Exactly. A woman at work here is always on about not liking London, but she is hopping across to see a west end show at christmas.

Dakila
5th December 2012, 14:37
Hi fred,

dont you hate it when they follow you around the store?

Lol, I usually just tell them to leave me alone and they oblige. Maybe try that :wink:?

Hi London_Manila,

Reasons for the poor service here is because brits dont make good servants

Funny enough a lot of "service people" here are not Brits at all. :icon_lol:

Regards,
Daks

Michael Parnham
5th December 2012, 14:50
Hi Dakila, try hot toast and spread some pork dripping on it (yummy). With reference to giving tips, I dont believe in it, I'm not being tight it's just that people get a wage to do a job so why expect a tip, you dont give tips to bus drivers or staff in M&S for example.

Trefor
5th December 2012, 14:55
Sounds to me like the author needs a drink and is associating with the wrong type of people! I have spent a LOT of time in the US and it is a very troubled society, especially when you come to the topic of racism.

lastlid
5th December 2012, 15:30
I have spent a LOT of time in the US and it is a very troubled society, especially when you come to the topic of racism.

Yeah. Especially in the deep south.

les_taxi
5th December 2012, 18:22
Hi Dakila, try hot toast and spread some pork dripping on it (yummy). With reference to giving tips, I dont believe in it, I'm not being tight it's just that people get a wage to do a job so why expect a tip, you dont give tips to bus drivers or staff in M&S for example.
Don't see many bus drivers carrying little old lady's shopping up 2 flights of stairs:biggrin:

grahamw48
6th December 2012, 00:40
I wish they'd employ some conductors again so we don't have to queue behind the damned things for 10 minutes while they take the fares. :xxaction-smiley-047

London_Manila
6th December 2012, 05:42
Sounds to me like the author needs a drink and is associating with the wrong type of people! I have spent a LOT of time in the US and it is a very troubled society, especially when you come to the topic of racism.

Lots of poverty in the USA and you rarely see that on tv

London_Manila
6th December 2012, 05:44
Apart from your love of manila right ??

Good point :smile:

I will be back in Manila in March...........

London_Manila
6th December 2012, 05:48
Hi fred,

Lol, I usually just tell them to leave me alone and they oblige. Maybe try that :wink:?

Hi London_Manila,

Funny enough a lot of "service people" here are not Brits at all. :icon_lol:

Regards,
Daks

Thats true, i suspect many brits are caught in the benefits trap or dare i say it "too tamad" to go out and do these kind of jobs......:wink:

fred
6th December 2012, 07:17

Yeah I know...Politely ask them to piss off!:icon_lol:
I do that occasionally.. Other times I wish I had a fly swatter!!
"can I help you sir"?
"Yes please, can you show me where the 1 1/2" plaster board screws are"?
Blank expression followed by "wait Sir huh"....................
Then 3 minutes later Im being hunted down by about 30 expert 18 year old assistants trying to sell me a paint brush and then all agreeing that the product Im searching for is indeed..."out of stock Sir".
This means that they dont know if they have them or not...It also means they have no clue what I was asking for in the first place..:icon_lol:
Im sure they mean well though.....
SWAT!!

bigmarco
7th December 2012, 00:59
Must admit the Yanks are the best tippers-I always get a decent tip off them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yep definitely yanks the best. I find South Africans/Australians bad tippers and yet so many of them work in service jobs relying on tips.
Arabs in general tend to look down on taxi drivers I've always felt it must be something to do with the status of a cabby in their own country.