PDA

View Full Version : Cheese

lastlid
29th November 2012, 10:17
'Unnecessary' high salt levels in cheese, health group warns

"Large amounts of unnecessary salt are being added to cheese, the health pressure group Consensus Action on Salt and Health (Cash), has warned.

The group analysed 722 cheese portions of 30g each and found many contained more salt than a bag of crisps.

The saltiest type was roquefort at 1.06g per 30g. But within varieties salt content varied - suggesting it is possible to reduce levels.

The Dairy Council said cheese provided a wide range of nutrients.

Too much salt is known to raise blood pressure, which increases the risk of heart disease and stroke.

The survey looked at over 30 different cheese varieties from seven supermarkets over four months up to November 2012, assessing salt content in a standard 30g portion size.

The saltiest cheese varieties were the blue cheese Roquefort, with 1.06g of salt in a 30g portion, feta and halloumi.

The cheese varieties with the lowest salt levels were mozzarella, emmental and wensleydale."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20524931

sars_notd_virus
29th November 2012, 15:53
I am a fan of Danish and Goat cheese , deym love it on my salads:hubbahubba:

Moy
29th November 2012, 21:48
i love brie:biggrin:

lastlid
29th November 2012, 21:54
i love brie:biggrin:

Me too. But not too ripe! :yikes:

stevewool
30th November 2012, 20:16
i love red leicester:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
30th November 2012, 21:09
i love red leicester:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Me too. My favourite, actually.

Dedworth
15th February 2013, 15:41
My favourite is the most mature English Cheddar I can get

imagine
15th February 2013, 17:14
mature scottish cheddar for me:biggrin:

Dedworth
15th February 2013, 17:54
mature scottish cheddar for me :biggrin:

It was invented in Somerset, England so anything else is a poor imitation :biggrin:

bigmarco
15th February 2013, 18:12
My favourite is the most mature English Cheddar I can get

:xxgrinning--00xx3: Love it, the stronger the better.

Bikramyogi
15th February 2013, 18:19
There's nothing like the taste of cheddar. :-)

My faves are:

Manchego cheese - perfect with wine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tete de Moine - perfect after a meal curled on a girolle :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
15th February 2013, 18:29
:xxgrinning--00xx3: Love it, the stronger the better.

Even better with a stick of Celery Marco :biggrin:

Michael Parnham
15th February 2013, 20:55
I like white cheshire MMmmmmm!

Terpe
15th February 2013, 22:30
It used to be one of my favourite ways to spend an evening.
A good selection of cheeses, crackers and crusty bread and some bottles of wines, and good company. :hubbahubba:

imagine
15th February 2013, 22:48
It was invented in Somerset, England so anything else is a poor imitation :biggrin:

scotish chedder invented in somerset :Erm:

stevie c
16th February 2013, 00:05
Has to be s nice bit of stilton for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Foster
2nd March 2013, 15:28
Definitely, lots of people love to add cheese in their diet plan for most of times. But, as concerned to containing a lot of salt in these to keep these stay fresh longer could defiantly affect our health specially blood pressure probs. Which at the end could lead to heart diseases.

Arthur Little
2nd March 2013, 15:49
Definitely, lots of people love to add cheese in their diet plan for most of times. But, as concerned to containing a lot of salt in these to keep these stay fresh longer could defiantly affect our health specially blood pressure probs. Which at the end could lead to heart diseases.

:biggrin: ... cheese! [as in Jeez] :yeahthat: so? :cwm24:

Well ... :anerikke: ... I'm defiant about such forebodings - yet MY blood pressure's excellent for an :olddude:!

Dedworth
2nd March 2013, 15:51
Definitely, lots of people love to add cheese in their diet plan for most of times. But, as concerned to containing a lot of salt in these to keep these stay fresh longer could defiantly effect our health specially blood pressure probs. Which at the end could lead to heart diseases.

Thanks for that info Doctor Foster

Bikramyogi
2nd March 2013, 19:04
I love CHEEEESSSSEEEe!!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
2nd March 2013, 19:33
Is this the last active thread started by Lastlid ? :biggrin:

WhiteBloodAda
4th March 2013, 07:17
A vintage Cheddar! The stronger the better! Nom nom nom!

Arthur Little
4th March 2013, 12:48
Is this the last active thread started by Lastlid ? :biggrin:

Yes, indeed ... you're correct ... his swansong ... the last [unusually few] :smileybigtmouth: "pearls of wisdom" he spouted forth on here before the "mould" set in - THEN, it was time for "ta ta"! :Wave:

Dedworth
4th March 2013, 13:42
Yes, indeed ... you're correct ... his swansong ... the last [unusually few] :smileybigtmouth: "pearls of wisdom" he spouted forth on here before the "mould" set in - THEN, it was time for "ta ta"! :Wave:

he was off

Terpe
4th March 2013, 14:58
Les Crudites + Fresh crusty bread and crackers + Red Wine + A good selection of ANY cheeses = Heaven :hubbahubba:

Doc Alan
7th March 2013, 00:32
The OP copied and pasted a warning from “ CASH “ ( Consensus Action on Salt and Health ) about salt levels in cheese, without giving his own opinion.

• We now have a good idea about members’ favourite cheeses. Have the “ CASH “ warnings made any difference, or ( more important ) should they ?

• It’s true that too much salt is ONE factor raising blood pressure – which ( if untreated ) in turn is ONE risk factor for heart disease and stroke. The disease is due to ischemia ( lack of blood flow to the heart muscle due to narrowed arteries ) and the heart may fail ( it has to pump harder ). Stroke may be ischaemic, or the result of bleeding ( haemorrhage ).

• Hyperlipidaemia ( raised fats of the “ wrong “ type in the blood stream ) is ONE other risk factor for these diseases . Cheese also contains high fat levels. So too much cheese COULD raise salt and fat levels in the body with adverse consequences.

• In summary the “ salty “ cheeses are Roquefort, feta and halloumi … and the least salty mozzarella, emmental and wensleydale.

High fat cheeses are cream cheese, mascarpone, stilton, cheddar type cheeses, gouda and parmesan …medium fat include “ half-fat “ cheddar, edam, brie, camembert, and mozzarella…low fat include Cottage, curd cheese, ricotta, light cheese spread and half-fat Edam.

• Members may well not wish to change “ lifestyle choices “ of cheese, and might not appreciate CASH’s attempts to make the Health Department set lower targets for salt in cheese - even if salt content already varies between cheese products in the same category ( they taste different ).

• My non-judgemental advice would be - for members well-informed enough to read this thread - moderation is the key :smile:.

• Cheese is nutritious – including protein, vitamins and minerals like calcium. Try to have smaller portions ( if possible choosing the lower salt AND lower saturated fat options ), and enjoy :xxgrinning--00xx3:!

Steve.r
7th March 2013, 01:31
Always sound advice Alan, thank you.

I find it difficult to find 'good' cheese here in China and in the Philippines. I love a good strong (salty) cheddar, and coming from Somerset the home of Cheddar, it is my favourite.

Dedworth
7th March 2013, 09:06
Interesting post Doc - I'll have to review my cheese purchases, I like emmental and I think I will try wensleydale

Arthur Little
7th March 2013, 16:48
The OP copied and pasted a warning from “ CASH “ ( Consensus Action on Salt and Health ) about salt levels in cheese, without giving his own opinion.

High fat cheeses are cream cheese, mascarpone, stilton, cheddar type cheeses, gouda :yikes:and parmesan …medium fat include “ half-fat “ cheddar, edam, brie, camembert, and mozzarella

:omg: ... and here's me - inclined to sprinkle rather too much salt on (otherwise bland) foods. :cwm24:

And I'm also a great fan of the milder cheeses I've emboldened above ... notably, Dutch cheese! :biggrin:

jake
5th April 2013, 14:34
High level of salt in cheese is not good for the health, it can affect different body functions.
Specially it can cause the high blood pressure and affect the liver very badly.
So don't take high level of salt in cheese or any other food to be healthy for longer.

Having read your first 4 posts i am guessing you are a health fanatic that thinks everyone should follow your ideologies?

jake
5th April 2013, 14:41
Thank you moderator's for removing Herbie :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Steve.r
5th April 2013, 14:50
Thank you moderator's for removing Herbie :xxgrinning--00xx3:We get them occasionally, from the depths of deepest Pakistan...... I was going to let him run a bit more, but showed him the door to the spam-o-matic, that will stop his tricks with us and the internet :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lordna
5th April 2013, 16:37
You can eat anything in moderation. its not suprising cheese has lots of salt in it as it was originally, i believe, a way of not wasting milk. Better to preserve it by adding salt.

There are lots of wonderful cheeses here in the uk, some difficult to find. Dorset Blue Vinney is a particular favourite. Although not from the UK. Munster is also worth a try.

I do notice that cheese is getting expensive so its unlikely any of us will consume enough of it to cause a health problem. Vegetarians, those who are not Vegans, may be at risk if they are not careful about their choice of foods as the first thing they will normally eat instead of meat is cheese.

http://www.cheese.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

Terpe
5th April 2013, 21:15
.... Munster is also worth a try....

When I read that, it bought back so many memories for me.
I spent a few years in Colmar France and used to enjoy Munster Cheese.
I remember when Swiss Air banned it from the cabin due to some smell. :icon_lol:

I'm a real cheese fan. Love it to bits, morning noon or night.
Haven't had Munster in an age.

Thanks for the memories.

BTW Colmar is a beautiful place to visit. I lived in a village called Turckheim

Happy days indeed.