PDA

View Full Version : Fat Tax

lastlid
10th November 2012, 22:47
"The Danish government has said it intends to abolish a tax on foods which are high in saturated fats.

The measure, introduced a little over a year ago, was believed to be the world's first so-called "fat tax".

Foods containing more than 2.3% saturated fat - including dairy produce, meat and processed foods - were subject to the surcharge.

But authorities said the tax had inflated food prices and put Danish jobs at risk.

The Danish tax ministry said it was also cancelling its plans to introduce a tax on sugar, the AFP news agency reports.

The ministry said one of the effects of the fat tax was that some Danes had begun crossing the border into Germany to stock up on food there.

According to the Danish National Health and Medicines Authority, 47% of Danes are overweight and 13% are obese.

The tax was introduced in October 2011, in an attempt to limit the population's intake of fatty foods.

The measure added 16 kroner ($2.7; 2.1 euros) per kilo (2.2lbs) of saturated fats in a product, increasing the price of a 250g pack of butter by 2.20 kroner (37 US cents; 29 euros cents).

The decision to get rid of the tax was agreed as part of the centre-left minority government's budget negotiations.

Several supermarkets have reportedly said they will reduce their prices once the tax is abolished."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20280863

lastlid
25th November 2012, 21:38
According to the Danish National Health and Medicines Authority, 47% of Danes are overweight and 13% are obese

Its all those bacon butties and Danish pastries that do it...

Arthur Little
26th November 2012, 15:46
Its all those bacon butties and Danish pastries that do it...

... and here's ME thinking - from the thread title - that some form of tax was being imposed on the :cwm24: obese!

andy222
26th November 2012, 15:49
... and here's ME thinking - from the thread title - that some form of tax was being imposed on the :cwm24: obese!
Dont say it too loud Arthur. Osbourne might be reading this.:icon_lol:

lastlid
26th November 2012, 15:50

Well, in a roundabout way, yes. A tax on the fat that the obese eat. :biggrin:

andy222
26th November 2012, 15:53
Well this might be a bit controversial (which I am normally not :icon_lol:) but I dont think we should pay any tax on any food.I pay enough out of my wages every week.

Arthur Little
26th November 2012, 16:01
Well, in a roundabout way, yes. A tax on the fat that the obese eat. :biggrin:

Obesity ........... :yeahthat: being, of course, a problem ... round about the midriff. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
26th November 2012, 16:16
I dont think we should pay any tax on any food.

:iagree: Andy ... WHY should WE pay for the "growing" obeseness of our own nation's fat cats.

lastlid
26th November 2012, 16:29
:iagree: Andy ... WHY should WE pay for the "growing" obeseness of our own nation's fat cats.

......especially on danish pastries and danish bacon butties! :hubbahubba:

andy222
26th November 2012, 16:42
I understand what your saying and agree.:xxgrinning--00xx3: