PDA

View Full Version : What can I claim?

wizzywizard
9th August 2007, 20:13
Hi all,

I have just been told that I am my position in my job is about to be redundent which means I will have to accept a job within the company which will be a lot less money. I normally work nights but they have asked me if I can do a job on days which means I will have £300 less money a month in my wages.

I got married to a filipina just over a year ago at at the moment we don't have any children although we are expecting our first in around Febuary and at present we are both working.

Is it possible for me to claim tax credits to make up my income as we are going to struggle after my pay cut?

What I am worried about that we may not be able to claim as my wife has no resource to public funds.

Thanks in advance,

Gordy

LadyJ
9th August 2007, 20:23
Wizzywizard, all info you need are on these links.

Low income? Check If you qualify?
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2910

Concerning about Child Tax and Child Benefit
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2988

Condition of visa
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?p=22461

Baby born in UK
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?p=22958 (read only the last 4 replied).

zef
9th August 2007, 20:31
"Changes to contracts

You may have a problem at work because your employer wants to change the contract. In effect it is a proposal to change the contract of employment if, for example, your employer wants to:-

change the type of work that you do
change your place of work
cut your pay
change the number of hours you work.

In theory, your employer cannot change a term in your contract without you agreeing to the change. In practice, you may be faced with the choice of accepting the change or losing the job. However, you may be able to take some action against the employer if you disagree with the change.

Before you can decide what your rights may be regarding a proposed change to your contract, it is essential to discover what the existing contract says on the issue. You should look carefully at your copy of any written contract and/or the written statement of terms and conditions of employment"

Read your contract of employment.
Consult your Union rep.
Contact CAB.

Thats a copy and paste from an employment site, probably does'nt suggest anything more than you already know but worth a go.

good luck.

baboyako
9th August 2007, 22:03
Gordy, I'm sure most of guys have gone through this, and without wanting to sound patronizing :Help1: your best bet is a sharp exit :Bolt: and work for an employer who gives a damn... or at least is profitable and doesn't pull stunts like that.

Its August now, you could be well into a new job when the baby arrives. Sure a bit of tax free cash might sound good, but you don't need the stress, 'cuz it could drag on for ages... thats my 2centavos :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Shifty-Sidney
9th August 2007, 22:06
I agree completely with Baboyako. As an employer i would never do anything like this - it is a cheap text book stunt from someone who isnt worth working for. count your blessings and take your severence money

wizzywizard
10th August 2007, 19:18
Thanks for all your advice. I just went to an interview today so hopefully I will get that job. It is slightly less money but at least I will not be losing as much as £300.

Gordy

Shifty-Sidney
10th August 2007, 19:29
Everything in life happens for a good reason! - even the crap i am going through just now. If nothing else my last 24 hours have provided some intersting reading and talk for everyone on here. Good luck and enjoy the ride - wherever it take you.

andypaul
10th August 2007, 21:02
Wise words mark and hope the interview gets you the job Gordy.

wizzywizard
20th August 2007, 19:51
Thanks to everyone.... I got the Job :) I start my new job on the 10th of September.... more money too :)

Gordy

Alan
20th August 2007, 20:01
Pleased for you Gordy!

Al

baboyako
20th August 2007, 20:45
Thanks to everyone.... I got the Job :) I start my new job on the 10th of September.... more money too :)

Gordy

:REDancedancer08:

don't worry, she'll find a way to spend the extra dosh :rolleyes: :Help1:

LadyJ
21st August 2007, 10:46
Gordy, have you check if you are entitled to any benefits?

If you are in a low-income you might be entitled to a Tax Credit.

wizzywizard
25th August 2007, 20:36
we have not checked yet. I waiting to start my new job then work out what money I will be taking home after the taxman takes his share.

Gordy