PDA

View Full Version : Fighting claims 4 lives in southern Philippines, 23,000 flee

Win2Win
8th August 2007, 16:00
ZAMBOANGA (PHILIPPINES): Three Muslim extremists and a soldier were killed on Wednesday amid renewed fighting in the southern Philippines, where more than 23,000 people have fled their homes, offic...

More... (http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?rid=9633132&cat=0267775d6f1c3971)

jonnijon
8th August 2007, 17:08
Good news in the Manilla Times dated 7th August.Tourist Visa can now be extended up to 24 months and beyond.Go for it Philippines.

jonnijon
8th August 2007, 17:23
Sorry did not notice it had already been posted

KeithD
8th August 2007, 17:40
And this has what to do with people being killed? :Erm:

LadyJ
8th August 2007, 19:31
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

KeithD
8th August 2007, 19:54
I think we'd better start random drug testing on the forum :D

jeffro
8th August 2007, 20:05
Very worrying for me,im heading Mindanao from Cebu,i hope this doesent escalate .Pagadian is some distance away ,but who knows what this could lead to ..

KeithD
8th August 2007, 20:30
Very worrying for me,im heading Mindanao from Cebu,i hope this doesent escalate .Pagadian is some distance away ,but who knows what this could lead to ..

The fighting or tourist visa extension? :rolleyes:

jeffro
8th August 2007, 20:43
The fighting or tourist visa extension? :rolleyes:

:)ha ha,,probably both :),but lets hope just the visa :)

aromulus
8th August 2007, 21:11
:)ha ha,,probably both :),but lets hope just the visa :)

Just be careful around there.... This was on the Embassy website today...

SUMMARY

We advise against all travel to Mindanao because of ongoing terrorist activity. There are frequent terrorist attacks against civilian targets throughout Mindanao. Most recently, on 3 August 2007, two bombs exploded, one in a bus and one in a bus terminal in Koronadal City, South Cotabato Province reportedly killing one and injuring at least four others.
We also advise against all travel to the Sulu archipelago including Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Jolo, where there are ongoing military and police operations against insurgent groups.
There is a high threat from terrorism throughout the Philippines. Terrorist groups continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and the intent to carry out these attacks at any time and anywhere in the country. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against civilian targets in public places including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.
There is a threat of kidnapping throughout the Philippines. We continue to believe that terrorists and criminal elements plan to kidnap foreign tourists from islands and coastal areas in the southern Philippines - ie Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago. The most recent kidnap of a foreign national occurred in June 2007. Kidnappings from other parts of the Philippines cannot be discounted, with boats travelling to and from offshore islands and dive sites possible targets.The biggest drawback for us westerners is that we stand out in a crowd... Easy targets...:NoNo:

But if you take some precautions you will be alright.

Here is the complete link for you.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386343

Hope it helps.

KeithD
8th August 2007, 21:15
AND GET YOUR INSURANCE FROM A BROKER....

Off-the-shelf policies WILL NOT COVER YOU, even though the company will happily take your money.

jeffro
8th August 2007, 22:11
Just be careful around there.... This was on the Embassy website today...

SUMMARY

We advise against all travel to Mindanao because of ongoing terrorist activity. There are frequent terrorist attacks against civilian targets throughout Mindanao. Most recently, on 3 August 2007, two bombs exploded, one in a bus and one in a bus terminal in Koronadal City, South Cotabato Province reportedly killing one and injuring at least four others.
We also advise against all travel to the Sulu archipelago including Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Jolo, where there are ongoing military and police operations against insurgent groups.
There is a high threat from terrorism throughout the Philippines. Terrorist groups continue to plan attacks and have the capacity and the intent to carry out these attacks at any time and anywhere in the country. Attacks could be indiscriminate and against civilian targets in public places including those frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.
There is a threat of kidnapping throughout the Philippines. We continue to believe that terrorists and criminal elements plan to kidnap foreign tourists from islands and coastal areas in the southern Philippines - ie Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago. The most recent kidnap of a foreign national occurred in June 2007. Kidnappings from other parts of the Philippines cannot be discounted, with boats travelling to and from offshore islands and dive sites possible targets.The biggest drawback for us westerners is that we stand out in a crowd... Easy targets...:NoNo:

But if you take some precautions you will be alright.

Here is the complete link for you.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1007029390590&a=KCountryAdvice&aid=1013618386343

Hope it helps.

Thankyou!!!! Yes i am concerned,very much so,i have my daughter to care for and my other kids,and God forbid anything should happen to me.However,i have expressed my concerns to my anghel,she assures me that now Pagadian is safe,and there are many westerners living there. I have to go to Pagadian,to meet my gfs children,her family,mum,dad,7 sisters and 2 brothers and countles cousins etc,and i am looking forward to meeting them sooo much:) I cant back out of visiting,and as worried as i am,,,i/we cant let terroists dictate to us and fill us with fear.I have to go,i have no option, and its the ferry from Cebu to Pagadian what worrys me most, i wish there was an Asian Pacific flight from Cebu to Pagadian,but im not sure there is.If i dont go i will regret the rest of my life and risk losing my anghel,and to be honest and truthful she is my life now,as of course my kids.Its just sad we live in such a troubled world,because i have met every nation under the sun ,especially when im in London visiting my sister Shirley.Thanks so much for your concern and help and advice:):):xxgrinning--00xx3:,God willing i will have a beautiful visit and i hope to visit again longer next April/May,i just hope and pray that this settles down before October.
Best wishes always,and many many thanks:):)

aromulus
8th August 2007, 23:00
They don't carry out MOTs on ferries overthere...

Most of the boats I saw in Cebu were very near being un-seaworthy or to turn totally into razor blades..

For a day out I trusted my father's in law pamboat, driven by a Briggs & Stratton 15hp lawnmower engine..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The best of luck... And Enjoy your visit