PDA

View Full Version : Clocks Go Back 1 Hour

lastlid
27th October 2012, 19:01
I think I have this right. The clocks go back one hour tonight so that we will be 8 hours behind the Philippines again. And an extra hour in bed.

Terpe
27th October 2012, 19:10
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Fall back
Spring forward
:biggrin:

I've already changed the clocks and alarm clock in our bedroom.
My wife will be working early tomorrow.

stevewool
27th October 2012, 19:26
just tried to explain we get a extra hour asleep but she still thinks she is getting up early for the 6.30am shift

imagine
27th October 2012, 19:48
thanks for the reminder:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
27th October 2012, 21:45
now i am confuse lols..i am working at 8 am summer time it means i got extra hours in bed tomorrow then:biggrin::action-smiley-081::Cuckoo:

Iani
28th October 2012, 08:41
No, I keep having to explain this every year. You do not get an extra hour in bed, only on the very first morning - which is a Sunday so most people won't even notice.

What you DO get is an extra hour at work, and this you do tend to notice.

I shall explain. Let's say you work in a 9-5 office job. You usually finish at 5 - well now thanks to British Winter Time, you will be finishing at effectively 6.
What a week ago would have been finish time, light outside starting to fade, your body clock kicking in saying it's time for that last coffee and on to the bus.......think again bud, it's only 4 now get your head down and shut up.

Of course you start effectively later, but the way people are wired, many tend not to notice starting times as much as finishing times.

Oh well

stevewool
28th October 2012, 08:43
its about time this was stopped, what benifits does it give us

Michael Parnham
28th October 2012, 08:45
I believe that some other countries alter the clocks, anyone know what countries they are???

Iani
28th October 2012, 14:41
Most countries in Europe alter the clocks, countries in the warmer climes don't bother.
Those who don't alter them anymore have adopted the "summertime" all the time - the same as many in this country would like us to do.

This site helps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_by_country

Iani
28th October 2012, 14:48
its about time this was stopped, what benifits does it give us

Many think this way.

The whole argument is that GMT was calculated as when the sun reached it's apex. In effect then, GMT is the "correct" time for this country.

Where this goes pear shaped, is that during winter the days are of course much shorter, and working patterns don't start at the crack of dawn. Most people would prefer lighter evenings.

There was a trial effort in the 70's where the clocks didn't go back. This proved unpopular as people realised dark mornings and dark evenings were the result.
There was also a spike in Scotland which led the stats to show it led to an increase in casualties. Further analysis though has showed this was due to an exceptional spike, and that once this was allowed for, it actually led to a decrease in casualties and a safer Scotland, but by then the common perception was that it was detrimental for Scotland, and this persists to this day.

Some would suggest the most logical solution would be a much shorter winter time, say putting the clocks back in late November, and forward in February - but this would perhaps be thought of as too much disruption for so short a time. Who knows

lastlid
28th October 2012, 17:45
.... but by then the common perception was that it was detrimental for Scotland, and this persists to this day.

Whilst Scotland enjoys longers days in summer than in England, it also suffers longer nights in winter, especially the further north that you go. Thus I can understand the Scottish concern.