PDA

View Full Version : Philippines rolls out welcome mat for US warship

lastlid
27th October 2012, 12:52
ABOARD THE USS GEORGE WASHINGTON (AP) — "A U.S. Navy aircraft carrier strike force's visit to Manila is the latest show of American military might partly aimed at countering China's grip in Asia. But it also provides hundreds of Filipino American sailors a chance to briefly soak in the warm embrace of a second home.

U.S. sailor Ryan Regondola, who was born in the southern Philippine city of Davao, said Thursday that the nuclear-powered USS George Washington's five-day visit underscores America's enduring friendship with the Philippines. He's also excited that the mission means a brief reunion with his Filipino dad, as well as Manila street delicacies including balut — boiled duck egg loved by many for its unique taste, but dreaded by others because of the half-formed, feathery embryo that pops out as an eater munches.

"I missed out a lot, so I'm catching up," Regondola told The Associated Press on board the hulking warship anchored at Manila Bay. "It feels great to be back home."

The Philippines has reached out to the United States, a longtime defense treaty ally, for help in modernizing its acutely outdated fleet of warships and planes and in training its troops amid renewed entanglement in long-running territorial disputes with China in the South China Sea.

Manila's desire to bolster its external defense and security cover has dovetailed with America's intention to pivot away from years of heavy military engagement in the Middle East to Asia, where it has been trying to foster closer economic and military alliances with countries such as the Philippines partly as a counterweight to China's rising clout.

In a highly symbolic gesture in May last year, Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, accompanied by senior members of his Cabinet and military chief of staff, was flown to the USS Carl Vinson to welcome the American warship as it traveled in the South China Sea toward the Philippines for a Manila visit.

The 97,000-ton carrier had just journeyed from a historic mission in the North Arabian Sea, where it had received the Navy SEALs team that carried the body of Osama bin Laden, who was killed days earlier in a highly secretive U.S. commando assault in Pakistan.

Since then, there has been an increasing tempo of high-profile port calls and visits by U.S. warships, submarines and aircraft, including the George Washington, which visited in 2010 and steamed back into Manila Bay on Wednesday for small military exercises and civic projects and to let loose thousands of its crew for a few days of liberty in the bustling Philippine capital.

Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim welcomed Capt. Gregory Fenton, the commanding officer of the George Washington, which will host a reception for hundreds of Filipino dignitaries and military officials.

About 800 of the carrier's 5,500-strong force were either born in the Philippines or are of Filipino descent."

http://www.philstar.com/nation/article.aspx?publicationsubcategoryid=200&articleid=863622

nnomad
20th November 2012, 11:05
america continues to stamp its military force on the rest of the world !!!!!!!!

Dedworth
20th November 2012, 12:17
america continues to stamp its military force on the rest of the world !!!!!!!!

I doubt if the locals view it like that, more like a short term economic boost and with the ongoing Spratlys issue a welcome sign that the big stick is still about

tiger31
20th November 2012, 18:35
I wonder how many babies wil be left behind when the carrier sails away ????

Dedworth
20th November 2012, 18:41
I wonder how many babies wil be left behind when the carrier sails away ????

:icon_lol:A mate of mine lived in Portsmouth he said when the USS Carl Vinson or similar caused a solar eclipse in the Solent the whole town reeked of cheap aftershave for days. Apparently coach loads of whores arrived from London.

nnomad
20th November 2012, 22:44
yea sure ' dedworth ",, reminds me a little of when they were giving the soux and the cheyene mirrors and beads while they were spiking their buffalo hides with chickenpox,,, oh such short memories !!

andy222
20th November 2012, 23:40
They make me laugh. America the most powerful country in the world? I have a message for them. Dont :censored: with china.

fred
21st November 2012, 03:42
They make me laugh. America the most powerful country in the world? I have a message for them. Dont :censored: with china.

I have a message for China.
Dont .... with the U.S,Japan or its allies.
You cant afford it if you wish to your growing economy to be sustained.

nnomad
21st November 2012, 12:22
i think china has more of americas dollars than america has !!!!!!!!!

andy222
21st November 2012, 16:43
I think your forgetting Russia and Iran,:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
21st November 2012, 17:03

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
21st November 2012, 17:20
Good old Mayor Lim...the guy who closed down all the 'R & R' bars in the Ermita district of Manila.

I'm sure the American Sailors will be glad to visit the opera and ballet instead. :icon_rolleyes:

andy222
21st November 2012, 17:24
What a R and R bar graham?

grahamw48
21st November 2012, 17:26
'Rest and Relaxation/Recuperation'.

Girlie bars to you and me. :biggrin:

London_Manila
26th November 2012, 18:21
They kicked the yanks out years ago
Now because of a few islands that nobody cares about they seem to be groveling to get the yanks back there :icon_rolleyes:

andy222
26th November 2012, 19:04
Girlie bars to you and me. :biggrin:

Never heard of them.

grahamw48
26th November 2012, 19:06
I used to be in and out of them all the time when I was a bachelor enjoying my first trips to Asia. :smile:

Dedworth
26th November 2012, 19:40
They kicked the yanks out years ago
Now because of a few islands that nobody cares about they seem to be groveling to get the yanks back there :icon_rolleyes:

A lot of people care about the possibility of oil around those islands

lastlid
26th November 2012, 20:03
A lot of people care about the possibility of oil around those islands

Its true, London_Manila. Lots of oil and gas potential and the fishing rights too are of interest.

London_Manila
27th November 2012, 01:17
Its true, London_Manila. Lots of oil and gas potential and the fishing rights too are of interest.

Maybe there is :smile:

I just dont like the way they are all of a sudden best of friends with the USA
Joint military training and even talk of them being invited back to clark or subic
If the yanks had any pride and scruples they should be informing them to fight their own territorial disputes after being given their marching orders a few years back

fred
27th November 2012, 05:55

Joint military training and even talk of them being invited back to clark or subic
If the yanks had any pride and scruples they should be informing them to fight their own territorial disputes after being given their marching orders a few years back

Asia in the balance (http://www.aei.org/papers/foreign-and-defense-policy/regional/asia/asia-in-the-balance-transforming-us-military-strategy-in-asia/)

"Complacency in the face of growing threats to US interests in the Asia-Pacific region will increase rather than decrease the possibility of conflict. The region’s evolving security environment requires that America’s military strategy evolve as well. America’s future peace and prosperity will depend on it."

nnomad
27th November 2012, 07:22
" if the yanks had any pride or scruples ",,, you what mate ??????????

RickyR
27th November 2012, 08:08
The US Navy is spread across the globe at the moment, waiting for the next hotspot. Suspect our region will be the first to blow....

Dedworth
27th November 2012, 09:22

Been plenty of US "Advisors" there for years

nnomad
27th November 2012, 09:26
america does not wait,, america creates,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, anyone watch bbc 4 last night,, Glencore mining in africa !!

London_Manila
27th November 2012, 21:15
Been plenty of US "Advisors" there for years

I know that my point is that they are doing a complete u turn on allowing USA troops to be stationed in the Philippines on a permanent basis

fred
28th November 2012, 05:17
I know that my point is that they are doing a complete u turn on allowing USA troops to be stationed in the Philippines on a permanent basis

During the Scarborough crisis,the supreme court judge Enrile (Marcos`s former defense secretary) told the senators in the Supreme court that the Philippines must ready its self to defend its territory.. Then that other ex rebel, Trillianes (now Senator) who was jailed by GMA,and released by Aquino,advises Enrile that the Philippine military is as good as bankrupt and has no real military hard ware to act as a deterrent against Chinese bully boy tactics.
Enrile was shocked as he had no idea that things were that bad.
Since then the Aquino government have been talking more and more to the U.S.
A very wise move in my book..
Perhaps now,U.S war ships will once again use the Scarborough shoal for target practice just like they did in the 70`s and 80`s.
Yanks COME HOME !!!! We are sorry for before... and We miss you big brother!:icon_sorry: