PDA

View Full Version : NI number...

kalbiex
12th May 2004, 18:24
Any of fellow pinays here ever applied for national insurance number? especially those holding (FLR) further leave to remain here in UK?
Please share it here.
Maraming salamat...

Admin
12th May 2004, 19:12
It was a hassle getting my wife a NI number, as the DSS have no brains in N Wales.

However, unless you are going to work, or claiming benefit then you don't need one.

If you start work, the company will arrange for you to receive NI.

If you need to claim benefit, you can not do so until your are granted leave to remain indefinitely, and have been in the country 2 years+, otherwise forget it. Then it is just a case of applying for the relevant benefit, and the social will them interview you and grant you a NI. It's a friendly interview just to ensure you are who you say you are, nothing sinister.

kalbiex
13th May 2004, 13:47
Oh, not for claiming benefit but for getting a job.
HUH.......if only I can get benefits like those fake refugees in this country then that would be soooooooooooo good I will just stay home and shake my legs. Unfortunately not allowed.

Admin
13th May 2004, 17:41
Whoever you get the job with will sort it out so you can pay the goverment it's NI tax ;)

kalbiex
16th May 2004, 23:07
Whoever you get the job with will sort it out so you can pay the goverment it's NI tax ;)
Hahh that means I'm gonna join the locals paying more taxes. What about if I do part time job, would that be taxable too?

Admin
17th May 2004, 10:24
If you earn under a few grand a year, then you do not pay tax, but they may register you anyway, and I think you still pay NI.

Usually when you start a new job you go on what is called an 'emergency' tax code while it is all sorted out for around 2-3 months. This is paid back to you in your wages though once the Inland Revenue issue the correct code to your employer. (Unless it's all cash in hand ;D)

If you stay in this country long enough you can join in the pleasure of taxable 'air' that will appear in the future!! ::)

You have to realise that whatever you do in this country, some sort of tax will be on it, which is why we are all leaving as soon as we can to places like Spain, South of France, etc. We'll be off to Singapore & Florida to live for 6 months of the year (+1 day, as this then gets you out of the UK tax :)), when my lad has left school in a year.

camotes
7th March 2005, 07:19
I had problems getting my wife an NI number which was primarily due to incompetence at the local job centre in refusing my wife an interview. As she was looking for work she was entitled to an NI number. It was eventually sorted with the intervention of my local MP and some "ass kicking" upstairs.
From our experience employers here in the north west are unwilling to employ a "foreigner" without having an NI number first. It is probably the fear of being prosecuted in case my wife was an illegal (visa stamp counted for nothing).
From my experience I have found dealing with officialdom in this country is always hard work and can only be put down to the low calibre of staff employed !

Originally posted by kalbiex@May 12 2004, 06:24 PM
Any of fellow pinays here ever applied for national insurance number? especially those holding (FLR) further leave to remain here in UK?
Please share it here.
Maraming salamat...

Quoted post

Admin
7th March 2005, 09:19
My missus was caught in a catch 22 with it, but the law is that the employer needs to apply for the NI number, not your wife, and the DSS will only issue it when she claims benefit (after 2 years in the country). Otherwise you don't need one.

They will issue one if pushed, but it can take a while. My wife had 3 interviews before she got hers!! And was passed around like a ping pong ball.

walesrob
9th May 2005, 18:25
Ok, as someone who runs a payroll for the family firm, let me clear this up once and for all...

Its a myth that its up to the employer to apply for a NI number. This is only if you have a NI number and you have LOST it, not if you require one.

Firstly, you start work, and you tell your employer you will apply for a NI number. In a meantime, tell the employer to use a nil NI number on payroll (this to conform to Inland Revenue rules). The employer cannot use a temporay number.

Next, apply for a NI number interview at local DSS. They will have a slot within 4 weeks.

At the interview at the DSS, bring your first payslips, and if issued, a contract of employment from your employer or some kind of letter confirming employment.

Within 3 to 4 weeks, a NI number will be sent to your home address.

Of course, the above info only applies if you have a visa allowing you to work in UK!

The current threshold for NI is around £88, so in theory you can earn under that amount and never pay NI, but still it is a requirement that all employees must have a NI number.

Pauldo
4th September 2005, 20:54
My wife had to apply for a NI so she could claim child benefit for the little 'un.
As usual with government type organisations, it turned into a nine month long fiasco, that was only resolved when I called the benefits agency and said "Right, can you give me the name and contact number of the person to contact so I can make an official complaint to the Ombudsman about your department?"
Three weeks later we had a cheque for seven months back child benefit, at £16.50 a week. This was all sorted before she had done her first year in the UK and was still not granted permanent residence.

Same fiasco with the tax credit clowns recently, who owed us money: No real result until I asked how and where I make an official complaint: Cheque for £280 arrived in the post a week later. Not a big deal really, as we are hardly on the breadline, but I dread to think what happens to families who are not so fortunate and actually need that last few quid a week.

Admin
5th September 2005, 08:39
They made such a cockup of some of the wifes benefit, they ended up overpaying, and just said it was their fault so keep it!!! So how much in total do these 'forgotten' mistakes cost us in tax? ;)

Pauldo
5th September 2005, 10:12
Originally posted by admin@Sep 5 2005, 08:39 AM
They made such a cockup of some of the wifes benefit, they ended up overpaying, and just said it was their fault so keep it!!! So how much in total do these 'forgotten' mistakes cost us in tax? ;)

Quoted post

Well, because they never bothered calculating my on-line tax credit assessment, that was done in May, informing them that I earned £4000 more than estimated last year, they have just told us we 'owe' them £240, as they have paid us too much. They are now paying us reduced benefits until our 'debt' is cleared.

I explained that if they had done their job correctly and actually put the new details in when they should have done, there would have been no mistake. They are 'looking into it' and will call me back within 48 hours (that was three weeks ago)

Anyway, our daughter finished nursery last week, so my wife will be calling them up to tell them we need no more tax credit payments. Now let's see them get the money off us :D :P I'll drag it out for month, just like them clowns do :rolleyes:

And to think one of the reasons we left the Philippines was because of frustration at incompetent beaurocracy :blink: B)

ginapeterb
7th September 2005, 07:28
Originally posted by walesrob@May 9 2005, 05:25 PM
Ok, as someone who runs a payroll for the family firm, let me clear this up once and for all...

Its a myth that its up to the employer to apply for a NI number. This is only if you have a NI number and you have LOST it, not if you require one.

Firstly, you start work, and you tell your employer you will apply for a NI number. In a meantime, tell the employer to use a nil NI number on payroll (this to conform to Inland Revenue rules). The employer cannot use a temporay number.

Next, apply for a NI number interview at local DSS. They will have a slot within 4 weeks.

At the interview at the DSS, bring your first payslips, and if issued, a contract of employment from your employer or some kind of letter confirming employment.

Within 3 to 4 weeks, a NI number will be sent to your home address.

Of course, the above info only applies if you have a visa allowing you to work in UK!

The current threshold for NI is around £88, so in theory you can earn under that amount and never pay NI, but still it is a requirement that all employees must have a NI number.

Quoted post

thanks for the excellent advices there Rob, this is a very important peice of advice, as many think the employer will obtain the NI, geeeeze does it take that long to get an NI number...what about express fee option ? hehehe

Admin
7th September 2005, 09:00
You tend to go round & round in circles trying to get a NI number, probably best to go down the DSS office and talk to them head to head until you get one, never take NO for an answer.

kentish
7th September 2005, 11:05
Hello again guys and girls,

I finally recieve mg NI from inland revenue after hubby pestered whoever is supposed to be responsible. It was a pain in the backside as we were toss from tax office to the jobcentre to the dss then again pass from the beginning. I ended up recieving 4 letters to fill from revenue office and finally I got an interview appointment from the jobcentre. Dont worry folks we only file the application for NI in June so it took them 3 months to provide one. :D :D :D

Anyway comes to the interview, (luckily they held in a hotel and not in jobcentre office or I would have que up with asylum seekers or refugees) they have a form with them that they fill up as they interview me. It was a short interview asking how did I enter this country, what plane I flew on, let me check the form they filled then lastly I signed. It only took about 10 mins. And yes I ask the interviewer about employers hiring someone without NI and she confirm that not many wanted to hire them as they're worried they migth be illegal immigrants. So guys and girls be aware of that. And yes they also ask for atleast 3 proof of address from defferent sources.

Thats my experience.

Admin
7th September 2005, 11:27
It was a pain in the backside as we were toss from tax office to the jobcentre to the dss then again pass from the beginning. I ended up recieving 4 letters to fill from revenue office and finally I got an interview appointment from the jobcentre. Dont worry folks we only file the application for NI in June so it took them 3 months to provide one.

This must be policy, as it's exactly what my wife went through. Neither the Jobcentre or the Tax office new who was in charge!!

Eljohno
20th February 2006, 21:04
What if when Rhea comes here and starts working even part time, then say we start a family would we be entitled to family tax credit if only one of us is an official UK citizen?

John

andypaul
20th February 2006, 22:08
Originally posted by Eljohno@Feb 20 2006, 09:04 PM
What if when Rhea comes here and starts working even part time, then say we start a family would we be entitled to family tax credit if only one of us is an official UK citizen?
John

Quoted post

Not sure of all the details but i know others in similar situations to oursleves the uk citzen can claim for the child. But not sure on the exact details.

Admin
21st February 2006, 09:54
Nothing to stop anyone for putting a claim in, with a covering letter explaining the situation. They can always say no.

My wife gets ICA on my behalf, but she was first refused back in 2003, then 9 months later they told us she should have claimed 9 months earlier :Erm: ....and they could only give her 3 months back pay!! :cwm23: Rip-off buggers.