PDA

View Full Version : Top 20 Liveable Philippine Cities of 2012

raynaputi
14th October 2012, 12:59
This study considered all the 122 cities of the Philippines – has undergone thorough research and gathering of data and analysis. The methodology used to determine the liveability of each city was based but not totally on the European Intelligence Unit procedure. Like the EIU, the concept of this study was to determine which locations in the Philippines provide the “best living conditions”. Five broad categories were considered for the computation and this are: Stability (25%), Culture and Environment (25%), Healthcare (20%), Education (10%) and Infrastructure (20%). Each category contains indicators, and we included as many as possible, to make the computed data more solid. Aside from the EIU provided indicators, (which can be viewed in their website) we also added the following into consideration: financial performance, population density, availability of public and private hospitals, availability and quality of public health service, environmental conditions, availability of sports and development programs, calamity-safety index, tourist attractions, cultural and commercial ties, availability of public and private educational sectors including their performances.

1. Bacolod City
2. Davao City
3. Marikina City
4. Makati City
5. Manila
6. Puerto Princesa City
7. Cebu City
8. Baguio City
9. Quezon City
10. Zamboanga City
11. Iloilo City
12. Olongapo City
13. Naga City
14. Angeles City
15. Ormoc City
16. Batangas City
17. Sta. Rosa City
18. Muntinlupa City
19. Tagaytay City
20. Tagum City

Read more: http://ikwaderno.wordpress.com/2012/07/11/top-20-liveable-philippine-cities-of-2012/

andy222
14th October 2012, 16:57
Well ours is not there but I could happily live there. Personal choice I guess.

Travellor
14th October 2012, 18:14
Butuan is better than half the above mentioned places

gWaPito
14th October 2012, 18:33

My Mother in Law lives in Bicol...lovely place, where the whale sharks hang out.

In the cold light of day we couldn't honestly live there...2.5 hrs to nearest basic hospital...same for international schooling.

All the places listed have them in abundance.

Michael Parnham
14th October 2012, 18:40
Anyone have any comments on Dumaguete?

fred
15th October 2012, 01:00
My Mother in Law lives in Bicol...lovely place, where the whale sharks hang out.

In the cold light of day we couldn't honestly live there...2.5 hrs to nearest basic hospital...same for international schooling.

All the places listed have them in abundance.

Gwaps.. Bicol is a huge province with thousands of isolated towns... I lived in one once about 30 odd years ago and you are correct.. Miles from anything.
Not been there for a very long time but I hear that Naga city is quite impressive these days. Lots of expats live there these days.
Also the home of one of my favourite Filipino dishes.. Bicol express!

gWaPito
15th October 2012, 09:53
Gwaps.. Bicol is a huge province with thousands of isolated towns... I lived in one once about 30 odd years ago and you are correct.. Miles from anything.
Not been there for a very long time but I hear that Naga city is quite impressive these days. Lots of expats live there these days.

Sorry Fred...I should of said Vanisitahan, or sounds something like it:biggrin:...right on the beach.

Yes, Naga big but the airport town is closer, so says dear wife.

Its 2.5 hrs by road and that's if it hasn't been washed away as has happened in the past.

Im a new daddy again Fred...perhaps im being over protective.

I 'll be there in a couple of days ....:biggrin:

jlags90
15th October 2012, 12:57
Davao is indeed liveable... :)

lastlid
15th October 2012, 15:50

Prone to flooding. My wifes sister lived there for a long time.

han
17th October 2012, 20:31
I am a native of Surigao del Sur, and lived in Davao for like 2 years and I really liked it there. My husband and I are hoping that we can live there in the near future- well, so called when we retire :smile:
But i reckon it will be a long way :doh :doh to save up first, here in the UK before we can have a house there. :yawn: :yawn:

andy222
17th October 2012, 21:28
Dont tell everyone. Keep it quiet.:icon_lol:

London_Manila
18th October 2012, 07:51
Angeles City how did that make it on the list

Not exactly the safest place to live if you are a kanu:Erm:

London_Manila
18th October 2012, 07:59

A very nice town and very safe as well :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I personally would not live further south than this

I think the UK and USA governments still advise against traveling to Mindanao and thats good enough advise for me

CDO was bombed only last week !

melovesengland
18th October 2012, 14:06
Davao is indeed liveable... :)

Davaoena here! Very proud! :Wave::Wave::Wave:

London_Manila
18th October 2012, 21:49
Davaoena here! Very proud! :Wave::Wave::Wave:

Mindanao is probably a great place to live if you are a Pinoy :smile:

Abu Sayyaf are still active in Mindanao along with other Muslim extremist groups

These groups dont care much for us westerners

Even if there is a less than 1% chance of being kidnapped or beheaded thats too high for me

melovesengland
18th October 2012, 22:45

Abu Sayyaf are still active in Mindanao along with other Muslim extremist groups

Even if there is a less than 1% chance of being kidnapped or beheaded thats too high for me

we have been a member of an expat group back in davao and i havent heard any complains about their new living and life in the city.

sadly, people do generalize the word mindanao and thinks that if you go to mindanao you get kidnapped, bombed and killed right away. they dont think of other cities in mindanao that are livable and peaceful. they only think of the abu sayaf and etc. they cant even see the brighter side or other side of mindanao which is such a big shame as you are missing one of the great opportunities that you might have by considering those other cities that mindanao has.

i undertand your concern and the fact that the danger is there but you cant say anything agaisnt the island unless you have lived and experienced the beauty of it.

Terpe
19th October 2012, 09:53
we have been a member of an expat group back in davao and i havent heard any complains about their new living and life in the city.

sadly, people do generalize the word mindanao and thinks that if you go to mindanao you get kidnapped, bombed and killed right away. they dont think of other cities in mindanao that are livable and peaceful. they only think of the abu sayaf and etc. they cant even see the brighter side or other side of mindanao which is such a big shame as you are missing one of the great opportunities that you might have by considering those other cities that mindanao has.

i undertand your concern and the fact that the danger is there but you cant say anything agaisnt the island unless you have lived and experienced the beauty of it.

Very well said. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

There are plenty of ex-pats moving to Mindanao and more especially to Davao.

Like you I also find it annoying when folks make statements that have no basis in their own experience.

Well done.

melovesengland
19th October 2012, 10:16

Like you I also find it annoying when folks make statements that have no basis in their own experience.

Well done.

thanks for the repu! xxx

It hurts me badly as I am from Davao and it is in Mindanao. They only cast bad things about the island and yet they dont even give us a chance to offer them the good side of Mindanao.

Quite upsetting but people do generalize things that are unacceptable sometimes. thanks Sir Terpe! xxx

lastlid
19th October 2012, 11:16
It's difficult, as if someone says why not try such and such a hotel and tell you that its great and then you try it and it isn't then normally there is no harm done. Perhaps a bad night's sleep or a less than enjoyable experience. I think with visiting Mindanao there is more at stake than an uncomfortable bed or a bad meal that you might encounter in the wrong hotel. Try Mindanao and see for yourself is not like trying a night in a hotel or a resort.

People who are reticent to go to Mindanao on someones recommendation are so as they perceive that the risks of danger are higher there, based on what they have been told by others or read etc. Maybe they are wrong, maybe they are right. As far as they are concerned they are not sure and probably correct in being cautious. My perception is that venturing into Mindanao is risky. I really don't know one end of Mindanao from the other. Maybe one day I will take the risk.

Another way of looking at it is that there are many other places to visit in the Philippines so it is understandable that some might leave Mindanao low on their list of priorities.

I sincerely hope that this new peace process works. I think that will help enormously.

gWaPito
19th October 2012, 15:16

Just had a reminder....Bicol express still does indeed, bring tears to my eyes:biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
19th October 2012, 16:43

7/7 Bombings does that mean London is not safe? I dont know some people.:doh

Dedworth
19th October 2012, 18:09
We stayed in Bacolod at inlaws relatives big spread for 5 days. Nice city with a modern airport on the outskirts which we flew into - fast ferried it out to Iloilo en route to overhyped Boracay. I'd like to explore Iloilo sometime

hawk
19th October 2012, 18:31
my wife lives in guagua pampanga i found it ok so could live there if i had something to do

tiger31
20th October 2012, 12:03
well ive just bought a pad in bacolod city so looks like its been a good decision ,A lot cleaner than cebu can,t wait to move :smile:

London_Manila
20th October 2012, 23:37
7/7 Bombings does that mean London is not safe? I dont know some people.:doh

Yes i would class London as not safe as well and i should know i live here :doh

The only thing that has stopped more bombings here is good police intelligence and the police are watching many of these people 24/7 and yes there are many of them just waiting for a chance

Unfortunately things are not like this in Mindanao and the police there dont have the resources or manpower to watch many of the Muslim extremists who reside on that island

Granted most of the trouble is to the west of the island but they did bomb Davao airport a few years back

London_Manila
20th October 2012, 23:43

Well done.

What are you implying that i have to go there and be involved in an incident before i can pass a comment of Mindanao?

I dont need to do that it's all available on the web for anyone to read !

London_Manila
20th October 2012, 23:44
well ive just bought a pad in bacolod city so looks like its been a good decision ,A lot cleaner than cebu can,t wait to move :smile:

Another great city :xxgrinning--00xx3:

London_Manila
20th October 2012, 23:47
thanks for the repu! xxx

It hurts me badly as I am from Davao and it is in Mindanao. They only cast bad things about the island and yet they dont even give us a chance to offer them the good side of Mindanao.

Quite upsetting but people do generalize things that are unacceptable sometimes. thanks Sir Terpe! xxx

There is no need to take my views on Mindanao personally

People slag of London all the time and thats fine by me :smile:

London_Manila
20th October 2012, 23:58
It's difficult, as if someone says why not try such and such a hotel and tell you that its great and then you try it and it isn't then normally there is no harm done. Perhaps a bad night's sleep or a less than enjoyable experience. I think with visiting Mindanao there is more at stake than an uncomfortable bed or a bad meal that you might encounter in the wrong hotel. Try Mindanao and see for yourself is not like trying a night in a hotel or a resort.

People who are reticent to go to Mindanao on someones recommendation are so as they perceive that the risks of danger are higher there, based on what they have been told by others or read etc. Maybe they are wrong, maybe they are right. As far as they are concerned they are not sure and probably correct in being cautious. My perception is that venturing into Mindanao is risky. I really don't know one end of Mindanao from the other. Maybe one day I will take the risk.

Another way of looking at it is that there are many other places to visit in the Philippines so it is understandable that some might leave Mindanao low on their list of priorities.

I sincerely hope that this new peace process works. I think that will help enormously.

Abu Sayyaf is not even involved in the latest round of the much hailed peace agreement

jake
21st October 2012, 03:31
What are you implying that i have to go there and be involved in an incident before i can pass a comment of Mindanao?

I dont need to do that it's all available on the web for anyone to read !
Mindanao covers a very large area. There are certain areas that are much safer than others.

London_Manila
23rd October 2012, 07:48
Agreed :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
23rd October 2012, 12:34
Prone to flooding. My wifes sister lived there for a long time.

I know a few people that live there and I have never heard them mention this.. Which part of Dumaguete floods specifically? Or is it Dumaguete in general?

I want to nominate Tagbilaran city but cant in all honesty...
Anywhere 5 miles from city limits has my vote though!

lastlid
23rd October 2012, 13:35
I know a few people that live there and I have never heard them mention this.. Which part of Dumaguete floods specifically? Or is it Dumaguete in general?

Last year, for instance. I found out from my wife. They had to evacuate the kids school where she taught.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=dumaguete+floods&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YySjVvdnwfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQvVjrzi46U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDpBJ2pNeHk

fred
23rd October 2012, 14:33
Ahh Yes Sendong.. With a system like that passing,I would imagine any city in the world would flood..Like Iligan and CDO in Mindanao that suffered similar floods during that typhoon.
If you live in a tropical country like P.I you can expect these things from time to time..Just avoid living or building in the lowlands, especially these days with the crazy weather the world has been experiencing lately.

Tawi2
18th December 2012, 19:49
University town with a nice feel to it,been there lots of times normally as a jumping off point to Siquijor,never seen it flooded so cant comment on that,surprised Bacolod is number one as its not got much to reccommend it,I have stopped there once,passed through a number of times when going overland from dumaguete to guimaras or iloilo.
Best place on the list is Dabaw :xxgrinning--00xx3: never once felt unsafe there,I was there in the city when the old airport was bombed,and I remember the circus bombing,few other things like grenades being thrown etc but isolated incidents,anywhere in pinas can have similar incidents,davao is certainly safer than manila for example :cwm25:

WhiteBloodAda
18th December 2012, 20:28
Baguio City is the only livable city in the Philippines.

It's the only city with temperatures that are anywhere near close to humane! :D

Ako Si Jamie
20th December 2012, 01:43
Tagaytay is meant to be cool too and I'm surprised Vigan isn't on that list.

As for Bacolod, I'm off there in Feb amongst other places! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ako Si Jamie
20th December 2012, 01:47
my wife lives in guagua pampanga i found it ok so could live there if i had something to doBeen through Guagua on the way to Zambales. Does look quiet I must admit.

alesypalsy
20th December 2012, 13:07

My friend has a place in dauin dumaguete, heres his view, pretty nice compared to what i see everyday in sunny UK! In fact i think hes selling it to buy a farm, maybe just maybe!

sars_notd_virus
20th December 2012, 17:10
Ala Eh!! Batangas City is the best ..near the highlands, near the sea...2 SM Malls one in Lipa and in Batangas City whatelese can you ask for :biggrin:

Tawi2
20th December 2012, 18:02
dauin dumaguete, heres his view
Is that apo,extreme right?

Michael Parnham
20th December 2012, 19:03
Yes that is Apo!!

Tawi2
20th December 2012, 19:10
I thought it might have been michael :smile:

Terpe
20th December 2012, 22:42
There's load of great places where the temperature is very kind to us Brits :biggrin:

I do love Baguio, if I'm in the mood.
I'm sometimes irritated by some of those Europeans, and I'm sometimes irritated by the levels of pollution.
I don't think I could live there.

Tawi2
20th December 2012, 22:49
There's load of great places where the temperature is very kind to us Brits
Did you ever go to Murray,the pakistan equivalent of Baguio or any of the indian hill stations? :smile: Got to be honest didnt really enthuse over baguio :Erm:

Terpe
20th December 2012, 23:13
Did you ever go to Murray,the pakistan equivalent of Baguio or any of the indian hill stations? :smile: Got to be honest didnt really enthuse over baguio :Erm:

Oddly, I didn't actually make it there, despite being only a short travel for me when I stayed.

I would mostly go to Karimabad and Gilgit and roam around from there.
Sometimes we don't make it those places on our doorstep. Don't know why.

Tawi2
23rd December 2012, 22:27
I always have a soft spot for Gilgit Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I know a lot of westerners who move to Pinas,or a large percentage of them at any rate,live close to their in-laws,but if it wasnt for their wife where would most choose to live and why?The title thread is liveable cities,surely people moving to the islands would rather a beach lot or farm lot than to move to a city? :Erm:

fred
24th December 2012, 05:55
I always have a soft spot for Gilgit Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I know a lot of westerners who move to Pinas,or a large percentage of them at any rate,live close to their in-laws,but if it wasnt for their wife where would most choose to live and why?The title thread is liveable cities,surely people moving to the islands would rather a beach lot or farm lot than to move to a city? :Erm:

We live about 2 hours away from my inlaws..
By airplane.
No complaints about Panglao.. 5 mins from closest beach,15 mins to BQ or ICM mall,15 mins from schools...No neighbours.
Absolutely wonderful place to live.. Im going no where.

Tawi2
24th December 2012, 10:55
No complaints about Panglao..
I have been to panglao a few times,I always found it beautiful,and I like your in-laws distance.........By plane :wink:
I just cant get my head around someone who leaves a city in the UK then swaps it for a city in pinas :Erm: and surely one pinoy city is much the same as another,malls etc,why do some choose a location because of the number of malls?I once questioned an old forumite as to why he chose Bacolod to live,he got a bit antsy,said it was a great place,great facilities yadda...yadda...yadda...it would have been a whole lot easier and more truthful if he had just said his wife chose the location as she is from there,his mum and her family live there etc :icon_lol: Bacolod to me only has Kanlaon volcano just around the corner and is a egress point to Guimaras,iloilo and an entry point to Negros from panay :smile: But it would be a funny old world if we all liked the same things :icon_lol:

Terpe
24th December 2012, 19:51
We lived for many years in Yokohama.
It's a very large city only 30 minutes by train from the centre of Tokyo, or the foothills of Mount Fuji
It's not easy to see where Yokohama ends and Tokyo begins.
Like so many cities Yokohama has plenty of areas that seem like quiet little villages.
Our place in Maganecho was just one of those

We had an underground train station (Bandobashi) just a couple of minutes from our house. This gave us access all over Yokohama
We had a main line Raiway Station (Kannai) also just a couple of minutes walk from our house. Access to almost anywhere in Japan.
There was also a bus station close by.

Our house was virtually next door to Yokohama-Bashi Shopping Avenue
An historic shopping street, where face-to-face selling and a chat and friendly banter is still cherished.
It's a 350 m long arcade with over of 135 stores selling a huge variety of stuff. Many fishmongers and fresh vegetables.
Totally under cover, open everyday and vehicle free.

Within walking distance we every conceivable type of restaurant with every conceivable type of cuisine.
We had parks, we had Chinatown and many hot spring spa resorts.

For us, we found there our perfect place to live.
Only 4 hours flying from Manila

Stevek
2nd January 2013, 17:40
'I just cant get my head around someone who leaves a city in the UK then swaps it for a city in pinas'

I was inclined to think this way but then when you start to take into consideration, schools, hospitals, malls, security and occasional western treats you can start to change your mind. I am now thinking a nice sub division close to a provincial city, a beautiful beach is never more than an hour away in the Philippines

alesypalsy
2nd January 2013, 21:58
To Tawi 2, yes that was apo island! I didnt reply earlier as someone else did it for me LOL

i found this link about dumaguete, not sure how boring it is as i watching now, but it made by a american so wont blame you for snoozing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fL15qfBASs

Terpe
23rd April 2013, 14:13
kitkatmac, I've deleted your post. I'm sure you know why.
There'll be no further warnings.

Ako Si Jamie
18th August 2013, 18:26
Just found this newish vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dORRA9okM3o

gWaPito
19th August 2013, 20:10

Well done.

hahaha You not an LM fan then Peter:biggrin: I think you are missing his humour. Must be the north south divide:biggrin:

anvee
17th October 2013, 13:04
I live in a nice city in Batangas province. Lipa City to be exact. It's only 1.5 hour drive from Manila. We don't really get floods here (high altitude), but nowadays, the trashes everywhere kill it! We are the Little Rome of the Philippines. Lots of churches! We have nice selections of schools not to mention the cold climate (next to Baguio and Tagaytay). I can say it is peaceful here, my husband fell in love in my city (he's not really fan of dirty, hot and polluted Manila) but Manila is very accessible with 99 pesos bus fair one way! He says he feels safer in my city than his own country! People here are very nice and warm (although the bad apples are still somewhere so be careful). Cost of living is average. Not much night life though, so if you're into that.. Manila is just 1 ride away! I see alot of foreigners living here, I've met some of them and they really like it here. Good hospitals, 2 big malls. 1 hour going to white sand beach in Laiya, Batangas.. 1 hour to dive in Anilao, Batangas. We're also close to Taal Volcano and Tagaytay for nice getaway. Give it a try!

anvee
17th October 2013, 13:06
with my city*

anvee
17th October 2013, 13:08
*fare im so sorry :doh
* warm (welcoming)
sorryyyyy

gWaPito
18th October 2013, 05:59
*fare im so sorry :doh
* warm (welcoming)
sorryyyyy

No need to correct yourself :NoNo:. ..This isn't a book club. ..We understand what you are saying :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

anvee
18th October 2013, 08:07
No need to correct yourself :NoNo:. ..This isn't a book club. ..We understand what you are saying :biggrin::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yep it was late in Philippines when I wrote that haha!

Ako Si Jamie
19th October 2013, 02:01
I live in a nice city in Batangas province. Lipa City to be exact. It's only 1.5 hour drive from Manila. We don't really get floods here (high altitude), but nowadays, the trashes everywhere kill it! We are the Little Rome of the Philippines. Lots of churches! We have nice selections of schools not to mention the cold climate (next to Baguio and Tagaytay). I can say it is peaceful here, my husband fell in love in my city (he's not really fan of dirty, hot and polluted Manila) but Manila is very accessible with 99 pesos bus fair one way! He says he feels safer in my city than his own country! People here are very nice and warm (although the bad apples are still somewhere so be careful). Cost of living is average. Not much night life though, so if you're into that.. Manila is just 1 ride away! I see alot of foreigners living here, I've met some of them and they really like it here. Good hospitals, 2 big malls. 1 hour going to white sand beach in Laiya, Batangas.. 1 hour to dive in Anilao, Batangas. We're also close to Taal Volcano and Tagaytay for nice getaway. Give it a try!
Was going to stay in Lipa for one night on our way to Mindoro but unfortunately not enough time.

anvee
19th October 2013, 03:09
Oh that's too bad! There's always a next time!

Michael Parnham
19th October 2013, 10:41

Never been there, but sounds a nice place!:xxgrinning--00xx3: