PDA

View Full Version : Child Benefit £20.40p per week

lastlid
11th October 2012, 11:29
Just put my claim in for child benefit. The wife isn't allowed to claim while she is on a spouse visa. I put the claim form in at the Markwell House, Social Security office here, next to Shoprite in Douglas. Looks like it will take a few weeks to process and will be backdated to our daughters birth date. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Looks like its an extra 10p per week in the I.O.M.

BoholoX
11th October 2012, 14:14
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'll be doing the same, was told I couldnt claim till he was physically on the IoM (fair enough) but didnt realise it is backdated?

That would be really sweet but not counting my chickens just yet - something i've picked up from wife :icon_lol:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 15:06
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'll be doing the same, was told I couldnt claim till he was physically on the IoM (fair enough) but didnt realise it is backdated?

That would be really sweet but not counting my chickens just yet - something i've picked up from wife :icon_lol:

Our little one was born here a week ago (at Noble's). So it will be back dated in that sense, till the date she was born.

RickyR
11th October 2012, 15:59
Just read up on child benefit as I never heard of it before. So essentially the government gives every child in the uk money?

sars_notd_virus
11th October 2012, 16:03
Looks like its an extra 10p per week in the I.O.M.

yes its 10p more:yikes:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 16:06
yes its 10p more:yikes:

Great eh! :yikes: A windfall.

sars_notd_virus
11th October 2012, 16:07
Our little one was born here a week ago (at Noble's). So it will be back dated in that sense, till the date she was born.

we didnt claim the child benefit and child tax credit until about a year that weve been here....they've only backdated three months.

sars_notd_virus
11th October 2012, 16:09
Great eh! :yikes: A windfall.

lol my daughter spends more than 80quid a month:ReadIt:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 16:11
lol my daughter spends more than 80quid a month:ReadIt:

I don't doubt it.

RickyR
11th October 2012, 16:39
Think we should calculate income tax like the French where it's based on th amount of people in the household, so those with kids pay less. Much better than giving people money back.

sars_notd_virus
11th October 2012, 16:46
I think they should do it the filipino way...no work...no pay...no benefits.

gWaPito
11th October 2012, 17:05
Just read up on child benefit as I never heard of it before. So essentially th government gives every child in the uk money?

Only if parent/parents gross £50k or less each year.

Dedworth
11th October 2012, 19:14
Only if parent/parents gross £50k or less each year.

I don't think there are any income thresholds Gwap

Who can claim?

Anyone who's bringing up a child can claim. This is usually the mother, but it doesn't have to be.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/start/claiming/how-to-claim.htm#3

bigmarco
11th October 2012, 19:20
I think the Thresholds come in on Jan 2013 and I think their less than Gwapito stated according to this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17271788

gWaPito
11th October 2012, 19:47
I don't think there are any income thresholds Gwap

Who can claim?

Anyone who's bringing up a child can claim. This is usually the mother, but it doesn't have to be.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/start/claiming/how-to-claim.htm#3
I appreciate the correction Ded:xxgrinning--00xx3:
There was talk about it last year and the initial limit was gonna be set at when the 40% kicks in at around £42.5 k.

Still, its a bonus...the benefit wont be there for much longer ...at least not for me.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
11th October 2012, 19:51
Just read up on child benefit as I never heard of it before. So essentially th government gives every child in the uk money?

On the Isle of Man it is paid regardless of income.

lastlid
11th October 2012, 19:53
we didnt claim the child benefit and child tax credit until about a year that weve been here....they've only backdated three months.

Yes. I think there is a maximum that they backdate for / to.

gWaPito
11th October 2012, 19:56
Apparently its the same here on mainland...I was mistaken.

lastlid
11th October 2012, 19:56
No mention of income on the UK claim form. It looks very similar to the IOM form that I filled out today.