PDA

View Full Version : The Town That Never Retired

Arthur Little
10th October 2012, 02:35
Interesting documentary :yeahthat: ... did anyone else watch this? :icon_rolleyes: Presented by Margaret Mountford and Sir Alan Sugar's sidekick, Nick Hewer, the programme gave pensioners in their seventies the opportunity to return to work for a week in order to test their mettle against unemployed youngsters recruited to a variety of jobs ranging from those in the Building Trade to an Estate Agents' Office, serving in a restaurant and packaging in a chocolate factory.

Whilst the seniors showed more commitment than the younger people (some of whom had never worked in their lives) it soon became apparent that the former became tired more easily ... so that, by the end of the week, MOST of the "golden oldies" (with the possible exception of one elderly widow :oldlady: - happy to be waitressing at 76) were thankful to return to the to the more sedentary lifestyle they'd become accustomed to since reaching the long-established retiral age of 65.

IMO ... sixty is old enough for ANYONE to remain "in harness" - especially with unemployment among youngsters being at one of its highest levels on record - and, fast-approaching my own three score years and ten, I cannot, in all honesty, say I would fancy returning to the workplace. :nono-1-1: Besides, I have plenty to occupy myself with here on the forum. :anerikke:

What do others think?

RickyR
10th October 2012, 06:45
Aiming for retirement at 40....... 45 at the latest :-)

stevewool
10th October 2012, 06:49
i saw the last bit of it, when we was in florida a few years back , the walt disney world and universal studios employed lots of golden oldies, and even the suppermarkets too, talking to many over there they seemed to be happy earning a wage and as they said its helping them stay young too

Terpe
10th October 2012, 09:36
I'm not sure I could find the time to take up full employment again.

I really wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. :biggrin:

I'm seriously considering getting a part time job just to help keep up the education sponsorship I have in Philippines. I've got some great and highly motivated students doing really well.

Education is one of the greatest gifts you can give in the Philippines. IMO

Arthur Little
10th October 2012, 11:52
I really wonder how I ever found the time to go to work. :biggrin:

:anerikke: ... me too, frankly.

stevewool
10th October 2012, 14:13
the education sponsorship I have in Philippines. I've got some great and highly motivated students doing really well.

whats this then Peter, do you sponsor family members or children who you dont know

Terpe
10th October 2012, 14:23
the education sponsorship I have in Philippines. I've got some great and highly motivated students doing really well.

whats this then Peter, do you sponsor family members or children who you dont know

I'm only sponsoring selected family members. :smile:

Education costs have increased significantly recently and most of my students are now in uni

Maybe they'll look after me when I get old and fragile :olddude:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
10th October 2012, 14:34
Yes. What about a part-time job, Arthur. Best of both worlds...

Arthur Little
10th October 2012, 14:39
Yes. What about a part-time job, Arthur. Best of both worlds...

... nah ... I couldn't "hack it", nowadays ... one thing I've NEVER regretted was retiring early. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
10th October 2012, 14:58
Y'know ... coming from the lips of a former workaholic [and I was!] that might seem like a strange utterance. :yeahthat: But - as I've mentioned several times in the past - I derive a great deal more enjoyment and satisfaction from being a member of this MARVELLOUS site than in any job I ever had! That's God's honest truth.

blessed_ekim0826
10th October 2012, 16:51
I'm only sponsoring selected family members. :smile:

Education costs have increased significantly recently and most of my students are now in uni

Maybe they'll look after me when I get old and fragile :olddude:

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

That's great Sir helping some Filipinos for education and i'm very sure that they will take care of you and treat like a parent.Cont. doing it. God Bless:smile::smile:

stevewool
10th October 2012, 20:25
we are setting up the same sort of thing with the children too,

Terpe
10th October 2012, 23:20
we are setting up the same sort of thing with the children too,

To be honest Steve, it's not overly expensive and I think good value for money
when placed on the 'right' person.
You do need to be quite selective.

stevewool
11th October 2012, 07:06
2 so far we have desided to help, dentistry she is going into and he wants to become a surveyor, so a few years hard schooling and who knows , me with new teeth and a new house extension in years to come:xxgrinning--00xx3: