PDA

View Full Version : Should there be child-free zones on planes and trains?

lastlid
29th September 2012, 21:38
"An airline says it will offer baby-free "quiet zones" on its flights. Should all planes and trains follow suit, or do adults need to learn to live with child passengers?

At 35,000ft, the klaxon-like howl of a distressed toddler screeches through a pressurised cabin.

For travellers already stressed by lengthy security checks, crammed into cramped seating and unnerved by the very fact of being so high above ground, it's almost enough to make them shatter the Plexiglas windows and jump.

And it's a source of anxiety for the embarrassed parents, too, desperately trying to pacify their wailing offspring while facing disapproving stares from fellow adults.

One airline is offering what it says is a solution. Budget carrier Air Asia says from February it will provide a "quiet zone" for passengers aged 12 and over at no extra cost.

Separated from the rest of the cabin by toilets and bulkheads, these seven rows of economy class seats should be immune from the sound of infant tantrums, the company claims.

It is following the example of Malaysia Airlines, which in April announced it would limit families with children sitting on the upper deck of its Kuala Lumpur to London service."

Continue reading the main story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19728508

imagine
29th September 2012, 21:44
straight jackets and padded cell might be a good idea, :D thats for the adults :icon_lol:

lastlid
29th September 2012, 21:47
straight jackets and padded cell might be a good idea, :D thats for the adults :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

stevewool
29th September 2012, 22:05
at no extra cost, that will not last long

malditako
29th September 2012, 23:04
should i say there should be a special place for parents with young children in the plane...where children can be more relax and comfy as well as the parents and not just these tiny sit and space with some other grumpy passenger who hates the noise of kids :)

lastlid
29th September 2012, 23:11
One airline is offering what it says is a solution. Budget carrier Air Asia says from February it will provide a "quiet zone" for passengers aged 12 and over at no extra cost.

Maybe there should be the converse - a "noisy zone" i.e. a seperate section for parents with kids....

lastlid
29th September 2012, 23:15
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4SkoJy3D0M

RickyR
30th September 2012, 05:40
I totally agree with the policy, it's a good idea to have a quiet zone, without kids, lights, computer games and noisy people.

With KLM on the 747 Combi, there was a small section in Economy at the front which was for Frequent Flyer status holders. Very peaceful haven, food served first then lights out for the journey to Hong Kong.

tiger31
30th September 2012, 06:05
hahaha this reminds me of the time i flew to florida from gatwick ,half the passengers were kids .To my horror i discovered that i had booked my flight during the school half term and had to endure little brats kicking the back of my seat almost all of the journey.until i stood up and glared at the could,nt care less parent sitting next to the kids .it stop kicking but only temparory .Never again will i fly between those dates

Steve.r
30th September 2012, 07:44
I think we have all had a nasty child kicking the back of our seats at one point or another either on a plane, bus or resturant. For this I can only blame the parents who cannot manage their child. BUT.... in some situations you just cannot console or comfort a young child or baby when they are flying. It is all new to them, maybe the pressure changes make them feel uncomfortable, sitting for a long time in one place or being unable to sleep, it all contributes to other people's discomfort.
Very soon, my wife and small baby will be flying to meet me in China. My wife will have to cope with the whole airport procedure alone. She will have cases, bags, boxes a pushchair for our son and my son to look after. It doesn't really bode well for those she might have to sit next to. But, I know she will try her hardest to look after my son, she will not want him bouncing around and upsetting people, but if he decides to kick off... and all children can when they dont understand what is happening to them, then he will.

Maybe s parent and child section would be good in a plane, but at what cost??

lastlid
30th September 2012, 08:48
I know it is different on a boat but on the ferry between Liverpool and the IOM there is a free designated younger kids area that they can either stay in or visit. That is for a 3 to 4 hour journey. But I guess when space on an aircraft is at a premium then it would cost extra.

KeithD
30th September 2012, 09:12
So where do you put the screaming sprog? Outside???

http://blog.trekaroo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/kid-stuck-outside-airplane-window-blooper-300x296.jpg

hawk
30th September 2012, 09:15
its ok when your single and no kids but what happens when you marry your partner and have kids then what are the same persons going to the quiet zone or will they sit with there kids and do the same thing that they complained about if maybe the air lines should have plains for single / couples with no kids then all they will have to put up with is the person next to them telling there life story about there last holiday :laugher::laugher::laugher:

RickyR
30th September 2012, 09:26
As someone with kids whose travelled long haul several times with them (wife has travelled a lot more alone with them) and also travel for business. I still agree its a good idea, separate the people with kids/noisy people.

lordna
1st October 2012, 09:49
There should be an area on planes specifically for parents with young kids. The airlines have got away with it for years not providing better facilities for parents with kids. They seem to think offering them a colouring book in a bag at the beginning of the flight exonerates them from doing anything else. Meals could be better for kids and there should be a bit more space for them and definately access to a toilet where kids get priority if nothing else.

My kids are mostly grown up now but on the times i have been on flights to/from Phil i have watched and tried to help people with kids. Travelling for 24 hours with children when you can hardly move is definately NOT fun and this of course will ALWAYS affect other passengers. Perhaps the airlines should take note and do something about it.

bigmarco
1st October 2012, 11:12
Not sure about kids on planes but I believe that they should ban OAP's from supermarkets at weekends :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Arthur Little
1st October 2012, 11:38
Perhaps the airlines should take note and do something about it.

:iagree: ... they OUGHT to ... but WILL they?

lastlid
1st October 2012, 11:42
Not sure about kids on planes but I believe that they should ban OAP's from supermarkets at weekends :icon_lol::icon_lol:

And on the roads....

OMG. I don't have so long to go....:icon_lol:

stevewool
2nd October 2012, 22:27

and B&q:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: