PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP vs Windows Vista

walesrob
2nd August 2007, 20:07
Having bought a new laptop a few months ago which came with Vista Basic installed, I promptly put XP on instead. I found Vista unstable, uses/needs a lot of memory and theres still issues with drivers still not being available.

So come on, lets see what version of Windows are members of FilipinoUK using?

bigtombowski
2nd August 2007, 21:06
i too bought a new laptop with Vista basic on . . . and it's CRAP!

I use xp again now.
im fed up to the back teeth of vista!

grrrrr

KeithD
2nd August 2007, 22:23
Over 5 million files all indexed under Vista, run it on 3 machines, never had a problem, well better than XP, but the basic versions are pretty useless, unless you hack the security settings, and you NEED 2GB's of memory.

I run 100's of drivers, they all worked from the day after Vista was released.

Not had one spyware, or anything with it, got sick of them on XP regardless of the security settings, something would always find a way on, and XP had stability problems running all the software I use, Vista handles it very well with the new memory management.

XP is based on pre-millennium code, that had more addons than a lezzers collection!!

bigtombowski
2nd August 2007, 22:27
i'd say if anyone knows anything about this subject it'll be keef . . . coz it's your livelyhood right?

tom

joebloggs
3rd August 2007, 03:22
Over 5 million files all indexed under Vista, run it on 3 machines, never had a problem, well better than XP, but the basic versions are pretty useless, unless you hack the security settings, and you NEED 2GB's of memory.

I run 100's of drivers, they all worked from the day after Vista was released.

Not had one spyware, or anything with it, got sick of them on XP regardless of the security settings, something would always find a way on, and XP had stability problems running all the software I use, Vista handles it very well with the new memory management.

XP is based on pre-millennium code, that had more addons than a lezzers collection!!

put some games on the pc and programs, that will :censored: your vista up :icon_lol:, i never had a problem with windows 3.1 crashing :D

oh i think there is kinda service pack 1 out for vista now...

i hardly ever have a problem with xp, just use the latest updates, like the old saying - keep it simple stupid :Cuckoo: , and vista needing lots of memory and high spec pc :Erm:

bigtombowski
3rd August 2007, 08:32
never had a problem with XP

problems every day with Vista

KeithD
3rd August 2007, 08:43
Plenty of games on it, I even run Windows 3.1 software on it with no problems, and Win95 stuff.

Vista is not the problem in 99% of cases, it is the people installing something without getting an update/patch first from the manufacturer. That is a failure of the user, not Vista.

Most folk blame Windows for BSOD, but if they actually looked at the error message/log they'd see it was a 3rd party driver or something.

If what you have works, then no need to change anything, but for better security for business, and reliability you need Vista.

walesrob
3rd August 2007, 09:46
The copy of Vista I had on my lappy probably would have worked fine had the manufacturer not produced a woefully underpowered machine. The laptop I had only came with 512mb of RAM, which is fine for XP, but for Vista, forget it. You know the ironic thing, it was cheaper for me to install XP rather than upgrade the laptop memory to 2GB. :NoNo:

bigtombowski
3rd August 2007, 18:28
and just easier too!

KeithD
3rd August 2007, 20:25
I got my laptop upgraded in the States to 2GB from 1GB, only cost £50 :)

andypaul
3rd August 2007, 22:34
Most companies I.T department are avoiding Vista like the plague and happy with XP. Its become like the old saying your never get sacked for buying xerox/ibm was a few years back.
An I.T department has a network that runs the hassles of upgrading systems at the weekends ensuring that the segments still on w2k/XP sync with the Vista with no security or performance problems, is just not worth the hassles if it goes wrong . I have not heard of one person demanding to be upgraded to Vista, but we have had plenty of people asking how to add a vista pc to an existing network and in some cases wishing they had ordered or requested a version with XP.:CompBuster:
A few years back, offices would have pcs with 95,98,98se:omg:,nt4, w2k,and a few on xp a right old mess most places desktops are now w2k or xp rare to see any other o/s being used drivers, print servers and nas's all fairly standized thank god. We now suggest any old os's are runing as virtual machines on a pc which is much better.

Microsoft are saying that XP maybe around for a good few years particulary in countries like Phill especially.

Vista will take a few years but we will all move over slowly as a sizeable percentage of companies are either on a 3 or 5 year turnover of there pc equipment. As most big companies felt complled to upgrade in 99 due to the y2k bug threat and dot com bubble. The next wave is 08/09 for them.

Didn't we all learn from xp that it was only untill after xp sp 1 that it was even worth trying to use. Like joe says vista sp 1 looks like its on its way.

Like the survey by compita recently found the most important application is and has been the browser, many city firms are developing browser accessed software, google and others are trying to develop for the mainstream and i can see it being the way forward. Soon we may only have a stripped down o/s on many of our pcs while accessing the rest via the web or a server in the house/office (ala ctrix stylee)

KeithD
4th August 2007, 09:31
Connecting Vista to a network is much easier than XP, never had the problems I had with XP, and I connect to multiple networks & VPN's.

Very few patches for Vista as well compared to XP.

But if what you have does what you want, no need to change just because you can, you don't upgrade your car just for a better alarm system do you? (Well I do!!)

And I can't see accessing all the software from a server ever becoming the majority, as the Open Source market would prevent it.

bigtombowski
4th August 2007, 10:07
arrrrgh techno speak . . .

u may as well be speaking tagalog!

andypaul
4th August 2007, 14:59
Connecting Vista to a network is much easier than XP, never had the problems I had with XP, and I connect to multiple networks & VPN's.

Very few patches for Vista as well compared to XP.

But if what you have does what you want, no need to change just because you can, you don't upgrade your car just for a better alarm system do you? (Well I do!!)

And I can't see accessing all the software from a server ever becoming the majority, as the Open Source market would prevent it.

I'll agree vista is jolly decent but drivers for particular products are still surfacing belive it or not only very slowly and companies Isd departments then take ages testing them.
I have found they are increasinly very cautious to make any major changes if things are working as heads only roll if things go :censored:

It will be intresting how the iphone and gphone get on with the public in the next few years as they are both browser based.
If they take off and the isps start to get joe public intrested in a cheap pc (ala like their phone free or dead cheap with it being upgraded after a few years.) the phone companies now personailse the os of the phone for their own reasons, so if the isps follow the same line they willl do the same in tie ups with ms and apple im sure. A good way for the os/isp companies to keep control of their market is to make the os either fully or partly server based.
In fact in the media a week or two ago a uk goverment department were looking at ways to save engery nationally and one was to have people have thin clients in the home with large servers accessed via internet (ie isps and phone companies will make money and bankroll the scheme along with the o/s companies chosen)

The engery and resource savings will probaly stop the national goverments or the EU getting involved in any real debate about if its right or wrong they know it will help them reach their co2 and waste product levels.

This would be a few years off and some people would not like it, but most people don't really care what pc or os they have as long as they can browse the web, vist facespace(or whatever) Have office type software etc. Microsoft are already talking about a adds based version of works which i guess would be free so would be distrubuted via the internet anyway.

Where that leaves other parts of the world im not so sure already limited versions of os are avaiable at cheaper prices in asia.

baboyako
4th August 2007, 17:34
speaking as someone who just succumbed & bought an ipod.. and then had the thing lockup - so I had to wait 2 days for the battery to die - then recharge and reboot the thing :cwm23:..

you can bet I wont be buying an iphone.... certainly nokias dont lockup that often, but when it does at least you can take the battery out:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
4th August 2007, 17:47
speaking as someone who just succumbed & bought an ipod.. and then had the thing lockup - so I had to wait 2 days for the battery to die - then recharge and reboot the thing :cwm23:..

you can bet I wont be buying an iphone.... certainly nokias dont lockup that often, but when it does at least you can take the battery out:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Can't agree more but a lot of people don't care about those things. I doubt few people once the battery is put in at the shop ever take out their battery in their phone.

Ipod just hit the market at the right time and many people who look at the market find other mp3/4 players to be far better for what they need.

Personally my Nokia does it all and a lot better

heres someone who thinks the same

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

joebloggs
4th August 2007, 18:20
"feel the keys you press as you're pressing them! The technology is called "tactile response," :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

"tactile response," i suppose 99% of keyboards are tactile :Erm:

oh well i will not buy one either, as long as my ngage keeps plodding along..

KeithD
4th August 2007, 18:27
What have you been smoking today Joe? :rolleyes:

walesrob
8th August 2007, 13:39

Probably too late now, but my brothers brand new ipod also locked up on him, to reset ipod:

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

KeithD
8th August 2007, 13:51
Ipods are a rip-off, I got a similar model with more bells & whistles from China fro £20 :)

andypaul
10th August 2007, 21:15
Ipods are a rip-off, I got a similar model with more bells & whistles from China fro £20 :)

bells and whistles sounds better than some of the dodgy opm my wife has playing on her mp3 player:Cuckoo:

walesrob
10th August 2007, 21:49
So who is the only person who uses Vista? Keith? :Hellooo:

andypaul
10th August 2007, 23:14
Well with dell and others looking at ubuntu ( a free linunx desktop os) with the price of pcs now the oem os is a huge cost for those that buy them ready made.

In fact you can even get a free cd send to you in most countries in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)

you can get a stripped down version which works as a webbroswer in vmware player called browser applicance http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/browserapp.html
This gives you an idea of the program and real handy as you can run it on a normal windows xp machine.

There is a lot of opensource software which can be handy if you need to kit out a pc with software which works, is legal and does not cost the earth.
Openoffice is a good example, which does many of the things office does for no cost.

Blueberry
18th August 2007, 21:06
Having used Winows XP Pro for the past few years,i tink personally it will take some beating,having said that just purchased a new laptop with Windows Vista so far,so good.I'l keep u updated.:)

les_taxi
21st August 2007, 12:38
i have been using vista ultimate for a few months now,no problems at all,finds up to date drivers easily,great search function since ut indexes items.never seam to get crap on pc anymore,the whole experience is just so much better.i only have crappy amd3200 cpu and 1 gig of cheapo ram,decent graphics card tho.its been updated regually and a lot of the earlier bugs have been fixed.i help friends out with their pcs for fun! and find working on xp old hat now lol. time to move on get used to it. i remember same thing when xp came out we all tend to stick with what we are used to but the sooner you move on the soon you get used to it and will realise it knocks the sox of xp.

aromulus
21st August 2007, 12:56
I have just managed to sort of suss out XP after a couple of years. I am not that literate on pc's. :NoNo:

I did try Vista on my son's pc, and I could make no heads or tails of it. :Erm:
But neither did he... In the end he did re-install XP Pro.:doh

For me............ If it ain't broke, don't fix it...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am not saying that I will not use it in future, it is just the case that I am extremely happy with what I got at the moment.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
21st August 2007, 13:38
i help friends out with their pcs for fun! and find working on xp old hat now lol. time to move on get used to it..

I also mess with computers for fun and fix them as well for friends and friends of friends (computer crashes? no problem! :D Mess with the registry? I do it for fun :icon_lol: Lost all your data? I'll get it back easy :cwm12:) and I would not say that XP is old hat. I'm still learning about XP every day.

KeithD
21st August 2007, 13:39
XP is broke security wise though compared to Vista....and the front end works exactly the same as XP.

charlwill
21st August 2007, 13:57
In my own opinion XP is still the BEST. Windows Vista is alot of CRAP, driver wise not all are compatible. :doh:doh It's a waste of space VISTA is....

joebloggs
21st August 2007, 14:04
security on xp, just get free decent firewall, virus scanners, etc

spyware terminator
peer guardian
avg ................................ etc.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

charlwill
21st August 2007, 14:14
Well, if you're using XP and your worry is security. Your internet provider is giving you an INTERNET SECURITY. Most of ISP is providing in every client. McAfee Internet Security is very good.

les_taxi
21st August 2007, 15:06
In my own opinion XP is still the BEST. Windows Vista is alot of CRAP, driver wise not all are compatible. It's a waste of space VISTA is..

there is nothing i can't run on vista that i used to have on xp,vista is not a load of crap or waste of space!

charlwill
21st August 2007, 16:16
Good for you!!! you're the only lucky person who don't have problem with VISTA unlike everybody. It's really depends on what activities you have with you machine. If u just use for chatting and printing that's fine but for us who uses more than chatting and printing. It is really a waste of time and space.

KeithD
21st August 2007, 17:53
you're the only lucky person who don't have problem with VISTA unlike everybody

Incorrect statement. Lestaxi1 said it is fine, I say it is fine, that does then not make it everybody. Assuming is dangerous, Cameron just done it and now looks a plonker ........ hang on.....he already was one :icon_lol:

les_taxi
21st August 2007, 20:27
oh dear not wanting to get into argument,but i totally disagree with your statement charlwill. i know of maybe 10 peoplw with vista installed and after early doubts are totally converted now. ok i do have a good knowledge of pcs but my view is the same.when it first came out sure there were lack of drivers,not anymore as i said before everything from photo editing,game paying,burning discs,running various applications all work great. i use my pc for many reasons not just email and printing! i build my own pcs,and repair other peoples. my pc is always running great,don't use a firewall,use nod 32 and a couple of anti spyware progs.

baboyako
21st August 2007, 21:55
I have not used vista at all.
here are some of the problems I get every day! with w2k/xp

my experience with XP is that is has lots of graphics problems. When I alt-tab the icons don't draw properly - pointless feature & doesnt work properly.

the curved edges on the windows are not anti aliased :NoNo:

both systems. delete a directory & the folder will still show up, click on it it will tell you it doesn't exist :rolleyes:

log on/off from xp, the 'workstation locked' dialog doesn't redraw.

password expires tommorow, it says 'your password expires in 1 days' :furious3:

in word, insert a picture, insert another one.. back to the old directory - not where you were...:Brick:

if an application locks up, drag another window over it & you can make pretty patterns :cwm38:

in xp my mouse keeps jumping around. mostly keeps going to the bottom left corner .. but not all the time :Erm:

hit F5 in explorer & it doesn't refresh directories, only files (I think there is a registry hack to fix this?).

recent documents does not delete document that have been deleted already (this has been like this for over 10years!!! still not fixed)

you can connect to another machine with different users (i.e. connect a network drive as one user), then it stops you logging in :angry:
then dont get me started on applications :ARsurrender:

and I'm betting none of those are fixed in vista :rolleyes:

walesrob
21st August 2007, 22:31
use nod 32.

I've just installed NOD32 after using AVG for years, only wished I'd found it earlier. Great AV product, small footprint, totally custom-isable, and most of all, uses very few system resources, unlike Norton and AVG, et al.

andypaul
21st August 2007, 22:34
Id rather others do the advanced beta testing other than me, will get involved after about a year thats normally when everything on a piece of software/hardware is sorted.

If you have a pc come with a vista liscense and you downgrade make sure you keep it as once your ready it will save you spending your money later.

With regards security internet wise most important thing is the isp which close or hide many ports and the router as many have firewalls and nat bulit in. I ran a port test on a mates pc and his cable connection and cable modem were the security flaws as he had a fully up to date xp os, with exactly the same av,asw and software fw as me running.

les_taxi
21st August 2007, 23:55
nod 32 rules. worst av u can install is norton bloated piece of crap,you even have to dload norton removal tool to get rid of it!

aromulus
22nd August 2007, 00:11
nod 32 rules. worst av u can install is norton bloated piece of crap,you even have to dload norton removal tool to get rid of it!

This is the understatement of the century....

I was conned originally to buy Norton, with my first pc, by some pimple faced little dork at Dixon's...
Within 3 months, I had collected 346 viruses, worms, with husbands and wives...:doh Norton Didn't get rid of any of them... :NoNo: But managed to provide a fertile breeding ground...:Brick:

So my son got the pc in safe mode, deleted Norton and installed AVG free edition........... 35 minutes later the pc was as clean as a whistle.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
At the moment, I am using AVAST, again the free edition... Marvellous program, and not as intrusive as AVG

les_taxi
22nd August 2007, 00:16
yep norton is crap it likes to own your pc.the 2 you mentioned are both fine but you can't beat nod 32 its best av out there.

KeithD
22nd August 2007, 09:31
You should always run AV AND Anti-Spyware software together to collect all the crap. It does not matter which AV you use, this little beauty will find some crap http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

Baboyako, most of those problems will not even exist in Vista, as the code is rewritten from scratch, not bolted on as XP is.

les_taxi
22nd August 2007, 09:48
yep use spyware doctor myself along with super anti-spyware professional and ad-aware 2007 + nod 32and win optimiser. i use perfect disc to reg defrag and your uninstaller to remove those parts other powders cannont clean:)

walesrob
22nd August 2007, 09:55
yep use spyware doctor myself along with super anti-spyware professional and ad-aware 2007 + nod 32and win optimiser. i use perfect disc to reg defrag and your uninstaller to remove those parts other powders cannont clean:)

What you are saying about installing all that software is evidence of how dangerous it could be when surfing the net, lots of evil stuff out there waiting to control your pc.

KeithD
22nd August 2007, 13:07
What you are saying about installing all that software is evidence of how dangerous it could be when surfing the net, lots of evil stuff out there waiting to control your pc.

Or you could just let my kids on your systems, and they'll bugger it up for you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aphrael
2nd September 2007, 08:26
I kinda like both Vista and XP. But I'd use the Ultimate version of Vista and XP Pro. There's not much you can do with the basic versions of both OSes.

My only beef with Vista is that the Cisco VPN software won't work on it! I'm still trying to find a solution or workaround, and hopefully it exists somewhere on the WWW. I'm back to using my desktop because I have XP on it which allows me to use the VPN software to connect to the company network.

aphrael
2nd September 2007, 08:29
[SIZE=3]At the moment, I am using AVAST, again the free edition... Marvellous program, and not as intrusive as AVG

I like Avast, too! I used to have McAfee but the darn thing was such a memory hog. Haven't had any problems with Avast since using it.

purplealien
2nd September 2007, 08:46
No troubles here, but I use a Mac :xxgrinning--00xx3: I use XP at work though and a lot of friend I know are not upgrading to Vista yet.

aphrael
2nd September 2007, 09:09
Oh, no, a Mac user! LOL. Just kidding.

I'm slowly being beguiled by the Mac into converting.

KeithD
2nd September 2007, 09:16
MAC couldn't even do 5% of what I need to run, unless you run Windows on it....then what is the use of having an expensive under-powered computer you can't upgrade? :Erm:

aphrael
2nd September 2007, 09:36
What do you need to run, Keith? First time I heard someone say that about the Macintosh.

KeithD
2nd September 2007, 09:58
What do you need to run, Keith? First time I heard someone say that about the Macintosh.

You don't read many blog/forums on computers then :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have over 4.5 Million files on my system, over 1000GB's worth, an none of the marketing or gambling software will run on a Mac, which basically stops business.

purplealien
2nd September 2007, 10:29
Oh dear, I seem to have started something :doh Horses for courses (no pun intended Lol) I just prefer the ease of use of the software and I dont play a lot of games :D
Am I still welcome here ? :bigcry: :)

aphrael
2nd September 2007, 10:37
You don't read many blog/forums on computers then :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I have over 4.5 Million files on my system, over 1000GB's worth, an none of the marketing or gambling software will run on a Mac, which basically stops business.

Oh, I do. I just don't go to any of the OS fanatics forums because they tend to do a lot of OS bashing, not that some are not unwarranted. I know that some applications do not have Mac versions. And Mac users lament this.

I'm more of a Windows user than a Mac, but there are some apps that are solely for Macintosh that I would like to see ported over to Windows.

Purplealien, of course you are! (I think. Of course I'm not the forum owner LOL).

andypaul
2nd September 2007, 12:45
Was at the Apple retail office in Hanover street london and was waiting around in one of the open plan offices while one of their IT guys fiddled around with a laptop so he could show me a problem they had and a few of the apple staff saw i had one of those usb 3g modems on a windows system you just plug in and play they wanted to try it so we had to download software and fiddle with this and that.

Sorry Apple software and hardware although lovely to look at just don't do the business for me.
Why do you think at first when they moved over to Intel Chips they went to great lengths to stop people dual booting.

THe N900 which is Nokias version of the Iphone already in beta form looks like it will be far better for the average person than the apple version.

KeithD
2nd September 2007, 13:23
Don't mention the Iphone.....my v1605 does much more, basically its a pocket laptop.

andypaul
2nd September 2007, 13:28
Don't mention the Iphone.....my v1605 does much more, basically its a pocket laptop.

I like them and of course they work on hsdpa networks unlike the &^%$$% which looks nice but actually pretty dam useless when it comes to comuncating either via voice or data:doh

aphrael
2nd September 2007, 15:58
Apple's just looking to make another iPod phenomenon. I'm not going to buy into it, just like I've never let myself get sucked into the iPod craze.