PDA

View Full Version : Joint Accounts!

Nick30
12th September 2012, 06:46
Hi,

I'm unemployed but receive benefits like DLA so I'm exempt from the new rules and I was wondering if me and my future spouse could have a joint account as she works as a nurse and earns a lot of money.
What do you all think?

Nick30
12th September 2012, 06:59
Also another thing,
Would it help if she had an offer of a job in the UK on the spouse route?

Thanks all :)

lastlid
12th September 2012, 07:00
Hi,

I'm unemployed but receive benefits like DLA so I'm exempt from the new rules and I was wondering if me and my future spouse could have a joint account as she works as a nurse and earns a lot of money.
What do you all think?

Yes. My wife and I have one. We set it up just after she arrived here in the UK. It took a few weeks to get set up.

Any correspondence we get from the bank is in joint names so we stick it in a folder with our ILR evidence too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

DaveUK
12th September 2012, 07:38
We have a joint account too. With the wife being paid on different dates each month, it was just easier having all our money going in and out of the same account. The beer definitely tastes nicer when it's bought on the wife's payday! :D

Lastlid, when you requested the joint bank account, was it a brand new account as a few weeks seems like quite a while? When my missus arrived, the bank told us the easiest solution to my wife having her own account given she was new to the country was to convert my account into a joint one and go from there. Only took a day or so.

lastlid
12th September 2012, 07:46
We have a joint account too. With the wife being paid on different dates each month, it was just easier having all our money going in and out of the same account. The beer definitely tastes nicer when it's bought on the wife's payday! :D

Lastlid, when you requested the joint bank account, was it a brand new account as a few weeks seems like quite a while? When my missus arrived, the bank told us the easiest solution to my wife having her own account given she was new to the country was to convert my account into a joint one and go from there. Only took a day or so.

Yes. We converted an account in my name to one in joint names. The delay was mainly down to gathering together the paperwork that they required. Proof of address and that.

Nick30
12th September 2012, 07:46
Did you work Dave when you applied for spouse visa?

DaveUK
12th September 2012, 07:52
Yes. We converted an account in my name to one in joint names. The delay was mainly down to gathering together the paperwork that they required. Proof of address and that.

Ah right. Thought that was a bit long for the bank to take on its own :)

Love how the banking system works, at least at HSBC anyway! They told me my wife would need a Passport account which had a monthly fee if she opened an account on her own due to her previous address being abroad and she was new to the island. But apparently, by converting my account to a joint one, the system apparently didn't care she was new to the country. Guess it does away with a bunch of checks if the account already exists! Not going to complain :)

DaveUK
12th September 2012, 07:53
Did you work Dave when you applied for spouse visa?

Yeah, I was working fella.

Nick30
12th September 2012, 08:07
That's good :)

How do I go about applying for spouse in the future as I put on the above?

DaveUK
12th September 2012, 08:11
Unfortunately as I've been away from the forum for quite a while and only returned recently, the new changes have passed me by somewhat. I'm sure one of the guys/ladies who've been here during the changes will be able to point you in the right direction mate. In the mean time, try doing a search on the forum and see what pops up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Nick30
12th September 2012, 08:20
Maybe I could try Arthur :)

Terpe
12th September 2012, 08:27
Also another thing,
Would it help if she had an offer of a job in the UK on the spouse route?

Thanks all :)

As it stands right now, no consideration will be given to either the current employment earnings or the future employment prospective earnings of the applicant.
It's completely down to the sponsor.

Do some searching on the forum Nick, there's a huge amount of information available.

Nick30
12th September 2012, 08:39
Thanks mate,

Sorry if I sent you a message twice because it didn't show as sent.

lastlid
12th September 2012, 09:22
Ah right. Thought that was a bit long for the bank to take on its own :)

Love how the banking system works, at least at HSBC anyway! They told me my wife would need a Passport account which had a monthly fee if she opened an account on her own due to her previous address being abroad and she was new to the island. But apparently, by converting my account to a joint one, the system apparently didn't care she was new to the country. Guess it does away with a bunch of checks if the account already exists! Not going to complain :)

I see. In our case they also took a photocopy of my wife's passport and visa. Even though it was, like yours, a simple add on to an existing account. But it was at least do-able and simpler than opening an account in her name only.

grahamw48
12th September 2012, 09:46
Can someone find me one with a good job and who earns a lot of money ? :laugher:

Terpe
12th September 2012, 10:26
Can someone find me one with a good job and who earns a lot of money ? :laugher:

Theresa May :D

Bluebirdjones
12th September 2012, 10:31
Hi,

What do you all think?

Perhaps she'll be the one who doesn't want a joint account !

lastlid
12th September 2012, 11:31

:D

grahamw48
12th September 2012, 11:39

As long as there was no sex. :omg:

stevewool
12th September 2012, 18:05

she likes lots of sex, she seems to :do_it: us men over time after time after time

Arthur Little
12th September 2012, 18:09

:anerikke: ... well ... suppose you COULD always put a bag over her head! :shehumper:

grahamw48
12th September 2012, 18:16
Yuk....thank goodness I've had my tea. http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/4585/hurl6802070.gif

Arthur Little
13th September 2012, 02:27
Folks ... I'm sure Nick very much appreciates your respective responses to the question he's raised. ;) However, it appears to me that what, in fact, he'd sought to clarify was - whether or not *opening a joint account with his fiancee would be helpful for Settlement Visa purposes.

:anerikke: ... clearly, *doing so is likely to have little bearing on the outcome ... since the onus rests solely with the sponsor to prove he/she has adequate funds to support an applicant, as Terpe has explained - and I have duly reiterated in my reply to a personal message sent to me by Nick.

Arthur Little
13th September 2012, 03:24
Maybe I could try Arthur :)

Nick ... I wish my response to your personal message could've been more reassuring. :icon_sorry:

lastlid
13th September 2012, 06:45
I see. It looked like there was 2 elements to his posting.

1] That he was confident of them acquirng a visa on the grounds that he was exempted from the minimum income requirement.

2] Was wondering about the possibility of them having a joint account.

:Erm: