PDA

View Full Version : Essential items for visiting the Philippines,just for fun .

jeffro
31st July 2007, 17:55
:)Hi everyone,:)hope your all great!!,
other than my passport,money etc what are the essential items i need and should take with me when i visit Cebu in October?.
So far,ive a camcorder and some CK boxer shorts:),and after shave of course ,and im not even on a promise ,ha ha :):)

Mrs Daddy
31st July 2007, 18:01
Hi jeff,good luck for your journey:Hellooo:.dont forget your sunblock with you.and by the way a small reminders beware of pickpocketters dont put your wallet at the back of your jeans.hubby was once a victim they didnt got the wallet of my hubby but they took with them the digicam:bigcry::Brick::NoNo: goodluck jeff and God Bless:)

LadyJ
31st July 2007, 18:16
I suggest don't bring any valuable things with you when you are outside. Leave some of your credits cards, passport, ticket etc in your bedroom/hotel room.

When you're in the Phils., don't forget to buy insect repellent to the pharmacy. Goodluck Jeff!

andypaul
31st July 2007, 18:39
With insect repplent if you have not used previously test it on you a few days weeks before you leave. Just incase your allegic. Don't wanna look like a bright tomato evening with your sunblock.

For when out and about its just as good to get a cheap camrea phone/ or just a disposable camrea if you don't wanna walk around the market say with a camcorder. Most will take decent enough photos to supplement you more higher qulaity photos.

joebloggs
31st July 2007, 18:41
I suggest don't bring any valuable things with you when you are outside. Leave some of your credits cards, passport, ticket etc in your bedroom/hotel room.

When you're in the Phils., don't forget to buy insect repellent to the pharmacy. Goodluck Jeff!

and i hope you've been to see the nurse at your docs surgery :action-smiley-081: for some jabs if you havn't already :omg:

jeffro
31st July 2007, 19:11
:)Thankss everyone:):xxgrinning--00xx3:,i will make a list of everything ,and thanks for all your advice:) I cant wait until October,i am looking forward to meeting my anghel in person,and hugging her so tight,tsupsss:),and im also a nervous wreck too:Cuckoo:or at least i will be once i arrive Cebu!! Is it really true everyone who visits is plagued buy mm, the runs :action-smiley-081:???!!:yikes:,ill take incontinece pants too:NoNo::NoNo:,im only slim to begin with ,if i dehydrate i dread to think ,ill return lookin like tutankhamen,ha :),well at least Maria my daughter will have a mummy,ha :yikes:,just kiddin,my ex is a good mum.Thankyou all so much for truly kind messages of goodwill and support and avice,and Godbless you all and your loved ones always,:):):):BouncyHappy:,
Jeff and Maria

KeithD
31st July 2007, 19:15
Things NOT to take.....
UK 9ct Gold as presents....you will not make many friends :)

petti
31st July 2007, 19:40
Hi jeff,good luck for your journey:Hellooo:.dont forget your sunblock with you.and by the way a small reminders beware of pickpocketters dont put your wallet at the back of your jeans.hubby was once a victim they didnt got the wallet of my hubby but they took with them the digicam:bigcry::Brick::NoNo: goodluck jeff and God Bless:)

A Pen!

Belive me, and you gonna thank me later. Keep it in your pocket.
You will need it about right before the imigrations check ;)

jeffro
31st July 2007, 19:45
Things NOT to take.....
UK 9ct Gold as presents....you will not make many friends :)

:)brass?????,copper.lead:):):),r they ok!!!!:):):xxgrinning--00xx3:

petti
31st July 2007, 19:50
:)Thankss everyone:):xxgrinning--00xx3:,i will make a list of everything ,and thanks for all your advice:) I cant wait until October,i am looking forward to meeting my anghel in person,and hugging her so tight,tsupsss:),and im also a nervous wreck too:Cuckoo:or at least i will be once i arrive Cebu!! Is it really true everyone who visits is plagued buy mm, the runs :action-smiley-081:???!!:yikes:,ill take incontinece pants too:NoNo::NoNo:,im only slim to begin with ,if i dehydrate i dread to think ,ill return lookin like tutankhamen,ha :),well at least Maria my daughter will have a mummy,ha :yikes:,just kiddin,my ex is a good mum.Thankyou all so much for truly kind messages of goodwill and support and avice,and Godbless you all and your loved ones always,:):):):BouncyHappy:,
Jeff and Maria

Waaaah!
There is a bigger chance you will get the runs out of the airplane food.
Stay off the chicken, i got myself a visitor from there. (salmonella)
:action-smiley-081:

OH, an also bring dollar to change in to peso. If u go to Manila and have to change terminal, u need to take a taxi. You shoul not pay more than 200p
to change terminal. Ask the Taxi driver CALM AND EASY, how mutch to other terminal. And remember to bring airport TAX money. (300p domestic and 750 going out)

jeffro
31st July 2007, 20:03
Waaaah!
There is a bigger chance you will get the runs out of the airplane food.
Stay off the chicken, i got myself a visitor from there. (salmonella)
:action-smiley-081:

OH, an also bring dollar to change in to peso. If u go to Manila and have to change terminal, u need to take a taxi. You shoul not pay more than 200p
to change terminal. Ask the Taxi driver CALM AND EASY, how mutch to other terminal. And remember to bring airport TAX money. (300p domestic and 750 going out)

:)Thanksss:) :xxgrinning--00xx3:,do you know how much peso i am allowed to take in ?,and would i be better taking dollars ,euro or stirling.Ive been told dollars are more widely accepted than the pound.And im also taking a pre-paid titanium credit card,do you know if these ok to use,the staff at my local Western Union said i can use anywhere where mastercard is accepted and at the banks,i need to be 100% sure about this,the thought of taking all ready cash is a nightmare,as i dont have a debit/visa card .
Thanks everyone so much,good job im on heart medication:yikes::):),im nervous now,God help me October,pleasssse:):)

petti
31st July 2007, 20:21
hehehe, how are you going to survive until then m8???
I think just 50 USD just for starters in there, in 5 dollar bills.
Thats just to get the first taxi, and emergency expences.
You just have to make shure that you have some form of Visa card or Mastercard. I dunno the way in the UK, but it should not be too hard to convert your normal ATM card. Mostly ATMs in there accept VISA.
Remember that taxis only accept hard cash.

petti
31st July 2007, 20:35
hehe, i did all the newbie errors in there the first time :)

First of all i did not bring me a pen, so i had to wait long (in manila) to get something to write the imigrants ticket form, and all i got to borrow was an broken old pencil. And in the stressfulfirsttimeheat, that was intense.

Second i did not bring any money in there, and i was in a hurry to make the other terminal in manila. When we got closer to the destination i flashed with my VISA card, and wondering abot how to pay. The driver whent from coloured to pale in his face, and shaked his head... "nononono i dont take!"
So i asked "so drive me to an atm then, so that you can get your money."..
...and thats why he ripped me off for 500 peso, becauce i had to pay 300. but somehow he did not have change :Rasp:

Oh my god, i was so nervous the first time, lol i had to go puke in toilet
when i finaly got into the destination terminal.
But its wourth it when u se your love waiting there outside mactan, i promise.
:cwm38:

aromulus
31st July 2007, 22:30
other than my passport,money etc what are the essential items i need and should take with me when i visit Cebu in October?.
So far,ive a camcorder and some CK boxer shorts:),and after shave of course ,and im not even on a promise ,ha ha :):)

Get on ebay, and buy one of those money belts, like i did.
Stash your cash and a photocopy of your passport detail pages in there (fold them to fit). Take enough cash out for the day, every morning, lots of moneychanging booths in the malls, and it doesn't matter what currency you take.
But if you take anything else but £ Sterling, you will lose twice on the exchange charges... £ to $ to Php... = lost money.:NoNo:
So, I strongly recommend good old fashioned Pound notes... 20ies and 50ies...

Visa, Mastercards and bank debit cards are accepted in most ATMs, but you are limited on the amount you can draw out per transaction, some give 5000, some 10.000 pesos, and the more often you use the cards the more the bank charges incurred.:NoNo: So reserve the cards for emergencies or large..ish purchases.

Imodium is a necessity (just in case you get the trots...), And anti malaria tablets are a MUST.... Better safe than sorry.
Some baby wipes and kleenex are a good idea too, as in most public conveniences the toilet paper is noticeable for its absenteism...
And if you have to use your girl friends house WC... I am not sure you will get used to the Tabo system in a hurry... So my suggestion is to train your guts, to evacuate before you leave the hotel in the morning...
In most hotels you will have to insert the key fob into a special wall switch to activate the air conditioning... And it may take a long time to cool the room down to an acceptable level.
So you might need something thin enough to leave in the holder when you come out of the room, so the aircon will stay on, and keep the room nice and cold for when you return.
On several occasions, I used a disposable plasticky nail file...:xxgrinning--00xx3: It works a treat...

And most important item of them all....

Chocolate...........:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Whatever you do, do NOT forget to bring them some decent chocolate and sweets as "pasalubong" or present...
This is a requirement which is mandatory for an easy and carefree life... It seems that your Gf status will be enhanced in her immediate community, by the amount of chocckies you fetch...:xxgrinning--00xx3: The neighbours will talk for ages about it and the "white guy"....

Enough for now I think.... If i come across something else I will post it for you. If you have any other specific queries go ahead and post.

Good luck.

bigtombowski
31st July 2007, 22:55
on our way from Dumaguete, we are gonna pick up tonnes and tonnes of Dunkin Donuts to bring to Bayawan for her family :D

it'll work a treat -- she says :D

joebloggs
31st July 2007, 23:11
yes aromulus is :xxgrinning--00xx3:,

with the money belt, photocopies of passport,your return airtickets and your travel insurance cert, and leave the copies or the orginals at your g/f place or if in a hotel in the safe.

i've always taken £20's notes, usually £600 and atm cards, and changed it in the money changers in the mall, better rate.

and yes the pen !! :D

and oh, if your taking somethnig for your g/f or her mom, a box of choclates, even cadburys roses over there are really expensive :omg:

bigtombowski
31st July 2007, 23:15
cool! i sometimes send marivic chocolates, and even if i send LOADS, she maybe gets 2 or 3 bites coz the family and friends eat it!

that's what i love about her - real generous :D

5olidsnake
1st August 2007, 04:11
don't forget to keep boarding passes from your flights safe in your money belt.
take loads of photos of you together,
don't wear any jewellery or expensive clothes, that just makes you a target. be 100% streetwise, try to blend in (impossible if your a 6 feet)
and a must that i learned NEVER pay a taxi driver whilst sitting in the car and leave your luggage in car then jump out (take bags out first then pay taxi driver) he drove off !!!
change big notes in shops (like minimart or shopping malls), so you have plenty of coins for jeepneys/buses.
exchange your sterling money in phils, you will find many moneychangers in areas like Ermita (you will get a better rate than england) but make sure you have some peso's to get you traveling from airport. take a few ATM cards (emergency money) not all mine where accepted in machines.

regards martin

bigtombowski
1st August 2007, 10:33
cool yam yam martin :)

thanks for all the great advice!

LadyJ
1st August 2007, 10:40
Hey Tom and Jeff, hoping you'll tell us your experiences when you come back here from Phils.

Goodluck to you both!

LadyJ
1st August 2007, 10:46
and I forgot, don't come back in this forum without our pasalubong:D

bigtombowski
1st August 2007, 10:48
thanks Lady J!

Will do! :D

joebloggs
don't forget to keep boarding passes from your flights safe in your money belt.
take loads of photos of you together,
don't wear any jewellery or expensive clothes, that just makes you a target. be 100% streetwise, try to blend in (impossible if your a 6 feet)
and a must that i learned NEVER pay a taxi driver whilst sitting in the car and leave your luggage in car then jump out (take bags out first then pay taxi driver) he drove off !!!
change big notes in shops (like minimart or shopping malls), so you have plenty of coins for jeepneys/buses.
exchange your sterling money in phils, you will find many moneychangers in areas like Ermita (you will get a better rate than england) but make sure you have some peso's to get you traveling from airport. take a few ATM cards (emergency money) not all mine where accepted in machines.

regards martin

yes when we go by taxi, i always get the wife to phone for it, and let her get in, and agree a price, then i'll go out a minute later and watch their face drop, as they know they missed out on some easy php, if they see a whitey its doubled or tripled !!!, yes and have lots of 100php notes, so the little monkeys can't pull the no change scam !

bigtombowski
HAHAHAHAAA! i have so been planning to get mar to do all the negotiation LOL

Mich
1st August 2007, 11:35
always go using the meter. dont let the driver ask for a fixed fare when ur in a cab. most of the taxi drivers here are ********.

jeffro
1st August 2007, 13:15
:)Hi everyone:):),i hope you ae all great!!!:):):),
Can i just thank all of so very very much for all your kind advice:):):xxgrinning--00xx3:,it truly is a fantastic help and guide for me:),and also any other members who will visiting for the first time .I am sorry many of you have had some bad experiences,:yikes:,but thanks to all of you i will be a lot wiser now,i promise when i return November,ill post pictureS on the gallery of my visit..Sorry i am late replying to this and other topics,my daughter Maria is off school for the holidays, and my other kids:) ,so im just so busy trying to catch up and being dad ,anyone fancy having a cute girl of 12 for a lodger for 6 weeks,the Philippines would be perfect!!!ha :),only kidding,she is my rock!!!!!!:):):BouncyHappy:
best wishes and many thanks to everyone!!!!!,
have a greatttttttttt dayyyyyy :BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::)
Jeff n Maria:):)

joebloggs
1st August 2007, 13:21
your daughter can look after my 8 month old son, i'm sure they both be worn out after a few hours :cwm24:, your not that far from me :Hellooo:

i'll put him on your door step , knock and err :Bolt:

vbkelly
1st August 2007, 16:06

awz CK boxer shorts,wow branded? lolz don't forget aswell a pairs of thongs for your gf, chocolates and p20 sunblock very hot in there

aromulus
1st August 2007, 21:34
awz CK boxer shorts,wow branded? lolz don't forget aswell a pairs of thongs for your gf, chocolates and p20 sunblock very hot in there

Sod CK boxers........

Get the Matalan ones, hell of a lot cheaper, do exactly the same job, last much longer and the colours don't fade in the wash. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
1st August 2007, 21:39
yes when we go by taxi, i always get the wife to phone for it, and let her get in, and agree a price, then i'll go out a minute later and watch their face drop, as they know they missed out on some easy php, if they see a whitey its doubled or tripled !!!, yes and have lots of 100php notes, so the little monkeys can't pull the no change scam !

To true loads of change also really handy are 20 peso notes otherwise for small things even 100 pesos is to much for change which mounts up if it happens all day.

bigtombowski
2nd August 2007, 00:02
always go using the meter. dont let the driver ask for a fixed fare when ur in a cab. most of the taxi drivers here are ********.

I've heard about that Ate Mich! LOL!

Ive heard that they'll scam you so badly! but i believe that marivic will be really street smart! lol!

Peanutz
2nd August 2007, 00:16
You can also start buying chocolates and other gifts now Jeff and send them by door to door package and make it ship the same day you arrive in PI? I don't know if it's convenient doing it in UK but if yes then you might save yourself a lot of stress carrying all those stuffs!!!:DAnd you can bring LOTS OF CHOCOS for everyone:D!!!

bigtombowski
2nd August 2007, 00:27
im planning to send some chocolates and other gifts to arrive on the day when i arrive ( with my usual suppliers) as a kind of present! I'll get the greeting cards done in bisaya, just as an added treat! I know mar's family will love this :D:D:D:D:D

singkit
2nd August 2007, 15:53
exchange your sterling money in phils, you will find many moneychangers in areas like Ermita (you will get a better rate than england)

Hi, Jeff. Exchanging money in Ermita is not always safe especially when you don't really know which exchange shop you're going to. The safe way I can suggest is to bring Traveler's cheque. This cheque has your name on it so nobody can cash it. If you lose it or stole from you, you can ring up AMERICAN EXPRESS to replace it. There's a code on the cheque for you to remember or write it down. Check exchange rate for UK pounds and US dollars as you may get more for your money with US dollars at the moment.So check the rate before you do anything and enjoy your holiday.:smileybigtmouth:

bigtombowski
2nd August 2007, 19:32
did i mention the san miguel?

jeffro
8th August 2007, 20:55
Sod CK boxers........

Get the Matalan ones, hell of a lot cheaper, do exactly the same job, last much longer and the colours don't fade in the wash. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:)ha ha,mine arent the real thing !!!:),i know because they were a birthday gift from my daughter:),and yes Matlans a very good place to shop too!!!!:) CK =cheap knickers for my gf:omg: ,kust kiddin !!!!!
Thanks for all your kind help here and on other posts :):xxgrinning--00xx3:,its a truly great help ,and everyone elses advice too!!!:)

KeithD
8th August 2007, 21:11
....and everyone elses advice too!!!:)

I never gave any but thanks for the thanks anyway........I thank you :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Erm:

Shifty-Sidney
8th August 2007, 21:17
If the nice bloke / waiter at your hotel asks if you would like to go out for a drink, remember this means he expects you to pay! for him and his entire family too.

Alan
8th August 2007, 21:26
Hi Jeffro,

I agree with most things people have said in this thread.
Just one or two personal observations though...................

My GP said that I didn't need any injections for Manila, Cebu or Cebu Province. He had an (up-to-date) list of low to high risk areas.
He STRONGLY advised against taking anti-malaria tablets. He said the side effects were worse than getting malaria itself (jokingly.)
I have a brill doctor and so I took his advice and just took 'Jungle Formula' anti-mossie spray (smells bloody horrible - but it works) - and some gel for the (inevitable) bites.

Hanna will not get into a taxi until she has seen the driver's ID - most of the time it is displayed in the cab. We always travel 'on the meter' and NEVER take a fixed price ride.

Yes - change - plenty of 20 and 50 peso notes - a MUST!!!

I take pound notes with me and change them at SM - better than ATMs.

Take a few small towels - to wipe yourself down with - ESSENTIAL. Oh - and plenty of t-shirts or vests - I used to go through 3 or 4 a day - whereas here in England I can wear the same t-shirt for up to 8 weeks before it starts to smell. :D

The money belt thing is a great idea - leave your important docs in the hotel safe or at the house - plus, a money belt can be handy for carrying plenty of peso coins (for jeepnies and tricycles.)

I reckon on 10% for tips - they seem happy with that.

I might be wrong on some things I've said here - and I know I've repeated most things - but - I hope it helps my friend.

Al

jeffro
8th August 2007, 21:29
I never gave any but thanks for the thanks anyway........I thank you :xxgrinning--00xx3: :Erm:

:)its in advance:xxgrinning--00xx3:and thanks for the thanks too:xxgrinning--00xx3::)

jeffro
8th August 2007, 21:41
:)in England I can wear the same t-shirt for up to 8 weeks before it starts to smell. :D
:)ha ha Alan:):Blacklistliar:,im sure its 10 weeks!!!!:):),just kiddin,like you !!!:)
Do you know the cost of the injections?? The anti-malaria tablets sound risky,but i have to travel south after Cebu,and then theres rabies??:omg:,still ,im hoping to return :Erm::)!!!!
thanks Alan and everyone!!! ,keith as well:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Shifty-Sidney
8th August 2007, 21:43
talcum powder is great for `sticky` face sindome. I didnt believe my GF until i tried it!
Oh no - i sound like a wuss now! lol

Shifty-Sidney
8th August 2007, 21:45
Oh and you are right about the anti malaria tablets, they are killers!

Alan
8th August 2007, 22:08
Jeffro - sorry - I don't know the price of the injections - I didn't have any.
Whereabouts are you going 'South of Cebu?' Rabies - easy - just don't touch any animals (there aren't many Millwall fans in the Phils. anyway!)

Mark - you mean talc on the face inhibits sweating??

Shifty-Sidney
8th August 2007, 22:14
Talc certainly seems to work wonders. It stops you feeling sticky and greasy. I have no idea why because i thought it would make things worse.
As for Rabbies i was in the centre of Surigao city with rats walking over my bare feet!
Then there are all the muggings etc, be careful when travelling anywhere remote - everyone has a mobile and will know where you are.

jeffro
8th August 2007, 22:23
Jeffro - sorry - I don't know the price of the injections - I didn't have any.
Whereabouts are you going 'South of Cebu?' Rabies - easy - just don't touch any animals (there aren't many Millwall fans in the Phils. anyway!)

Mark - you mean talc on the face inhibits sweating??
I am heading to Pagadian City Alan,Mindanao,but there is a lot of trouble starting over Mindanao now:omg:,and for once its not Millwall fans:)Just how big a suitcase will i need,ha???:)

Alan
8th August 2007, 22:23
OK Mark - talc it is then.

I ALWAYS took off my jewellery - even my watch - the only thing I wore was my wedding ring (I shall NEVER take that off.)

Hanna and I just NEVER went to any remote places - let's face it - taxis, jeepnies etc are so cheap that you really have no reason to be walking the streets - especially at night.

jeffro
8th August 2007, 22:28
Talc certainly seems to work wonders. It stops you feeling sticky and greasy. I have no idea why because i thought it would make things worse.
As for Rabbies i was in the centre of Surigao city with rats walking over my bare feet!
Then there are all the muggings etc, be careful when travelling anywhere remote - everyone has a mobile and will know where you are.

As for Rabbies i was in the centre of Surigao city with rats walking over my bare feet!.......:omg::omg:,wow its starting to sound like a mission !!!! ,im on heart tablets now ,honestly!!!,ill ask my Gp for more!!!!!!!:yikes::yikes:
Thanks Mark:xxgrinning--00xx3:,im really looking forward to my visit more than ever,and feeling so relaxed,,ha ha,just kidding :):)

Alan
8th August 2007, 22:33
Hmmm - sorry Jeffro - not been to Mindanao. :NoNo: Perhaps another member can help you there?

Al

Shifty-Sidney
8th August 2007, 22:37
Hi ya Jeffro,
Dont worry - all the other experiences will leave your head spinning! i cannot describe how i felt when i was there in April. I have travelled the world, but never before have i felt so at home or welcome. I cannot wait to get back over there in October or november.

aromulus
8th August 2007, 22:50
:)in England I can wear the same t-shirt for up to 8 weeks before it starts to smell. :D
:)ha ha Alan:):Blacklistliar:,im sure its 10 weeks!!!!:):),just kiddin,like you !!!:)
Do you know the cost of the injections?? The anti-malaria tablets sound risky,but i have to travel south after Cebu,and then theres rabies??:omg:,still ,im hoping to return :Erm::)!!!!
thanks Alan and everyone!!! ,keith as well:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

I strongly recommend anti-malaria tablets.
I never had any side effects from taking them.

The one to avoid is LARIAM, this one is full of side effects.

The one I suggest, and it works is

CHLOROQUININE & PROGUANIL ...

£ 16 / 17 from Boots the Chemists.
I also had the full course of shots.
Having spent many years working in the merchant navy, visiting beautiful countries with extremely exotic diseases, I couldn't stress any stronger the foresight of having such injections.
I did see some unfortunate people falling victim to cholera, hepatitis A, and dengue fever... But read on...

PHILIPPINES
GENERAL INFORMATION

The Philippines consists of more than 7,000 islands in the South Pacific, of which 880 are inhabited. The Philippine climate is mostly hot and humid. Three seasons are defined: the hot, dry season, from March through May; the rainy season from June into November, with daily rains during July, August and September; and the cool, dry season from November to February.
The Philippines is a developing nation in the lower half of the world's economies. Tourist facilities are available within the population centers and main tourist sites. Adequate private medical care is available in Manila and major cities but is not up to the standards of industrialized countries. Medical care is substandard in the rest of the country. Adequate evacuation coverage for all travelers is a high priority. In the event of serious medical conditions every effort should be made to go to Singapore or Hong Kong.
Visa applicants may need to meet specific requirements. Review the application and contact the Philippine's embassy if you have questions. According to the U.S. Department of State, HIV testing is required for applicants for permanent resident visas as part of a general medical exam. Foreign test results are accepted under certain conditions. VACCINES AND MALARIA

Yellow fever: Although yellow fever does not occur in Philippines, an official yellow fever vaccination certificate may be required depending on your itinerary.
Requirement: A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for travelers over 1 year of age coming from areas with risk of yellow fever transmission.
Other vaccines: Depending on your itinerary, your personal risk factors, and the length of your visit, your health care provider may offer you vaccination against hepatitis A, hepatitis B, influenza, Japanese encephalitis, rabies, or typhoid. Routine immunizations, such as those that prevent tetanus/diphtheria or "childhood" diseases, should be reviewed and updated as needed.
Malaria:

Risk exists throughout the year in all rural regions and islands below 2,000 feet (600 meters), except no risk is reported to exist in metropolitan Manila or the provinces of Aklan, Benguet, Biliran, Bohol, Camiguin, Capiz, Catanduanes, Cebu, Guimaras, Iloilo, Leyte, Masbate, Northern Samar, and Siquijor. Risk is largely confined to rural areas not usually visited by short-term travelers and tourists. Risk is highest on the islands of Mindanao, Mindoro, Palawan, and the northern half of Luzon. No risk exists in the Borocay resort area or on the plains of Negros Island.
Take evening and nighttime insect precautions in risk areas. Medicines that protect against malaria in this area include mefloquine (Lariam), doxycycline, or atovaquone/proguanil (Malarone). Primaquine may be used in special circumstances (G6PD testing is required). The best drug for you depends on your itinerary and on a number of personal factors that should be discussed between you and your health care provider.
Because no preventive measure is 100% effective, if you have traveled in an area of malaria risk, seek immediate medical attention for any fever or flu-like illness occurring within 3 months of your return home. Be sure to tell your health care provider your travel history.
OTHER HEALTH ISSUES

Insect-borne diseases: Mosquitoes transmit a variety of diseases in this country, including malaria, dengue fever, and Japanese encephalitis. Personal protective measures are extremely important since insects cannot be avoided.
Food- and water-borne diseases: Quite a few diseases, including hepatitis A and typhoid fever, are transmitted by unsanitary food handling procedures and contaminated water. Food and beverage precautions are essential in order to reduce chance of illness. Anti-diarrheal drugs (loperamide and/or a quinolone antibiotic) may be prescribed by your provider.
Tuberculosis is common in all developing countries. However, this country has a prevalence of over 100 cases per 100,000 population, the highest WHO risk category. Travelers planning to stay more than 1 month should have pre-departure PPD skin test status documented. Travelers should avoid crowded public places and public transportation whenever possible. Domestic help should be screened for TB.
Schistosomiasis is present in freshwater lakes and rivers throughout the country and is transmitted by larvae that penetrate intact skin. Avoid freshwater exposure.
Select inter-island sea ferries carefully if traveling between islands. Poor maintenance, poor safety standards, and overcrowding have resulted in fatalities.
Monkey bites are not uncommon in tourists. A number of diseases including rabies and herpes B can be transmitted. Avoid feeding monkeys, and if bitten, immediate wound cleaning by soaking and scrubbing of the bite for at least 15 minutes is recommended followed by urgent medical consultation.
Multi-drug resistant strains of gonorrhea are active among sex workers in Manila and Cebu City.
The blood type of the general Asian populace is Rh positive; Rh negative blood may be difficult to obtain.
Marine hazards include corals, jellyfish, sharks, sea urchins, and sea snakes. Heed posted warnings at organized beaches, and do not bathe at unmarked, unpatrolled beaches.Sorry to burst your bubble:NoNo:

Regards
Dom

KeithD
9th August 2007, 09:36
We stopped taking ours after a week in the Phil, as no mosquito's in the cities......the locals have eaten them all!!!

Maria_2300
9th August 2007, 09:47
Another thing Jeffro, do not drink tap water. My American boyfriend visited me last April and he drank tap water at Waterfront Hotel in Cebu. 2 days after, I brought him to the ER. Good thing I am a nurse so, he was in good hands :)

andypaul
10th August 2007, 21:19
Another thing Jeffro, do not drink tap water. My American boyfriend visited me last April and he drank tap water at Waterfront Hotel in Cebu. 2 days after, I brought him to the ER. Good thing I am a nurse so, he was in good hands :)

Good point maria and its wise to be careful with ice cubes as well. Seen plenty of us silly westners making sure the bottled water, coke or beer is fine and then in the water or coke adding ice cubes of an unknown orgin into the glass:doh

Alan
10th August 2007, 21:28
WOW! I have stayed at the Waterfront Hotel - everything was fine - must say though - I didn't drink the tap water. They do a brill American Breakfast for 125 pesos.

PLUS - Jo's chicken is just across the road - yummy!!!

Al

KeithD
10th August 2007, 21:29
Jo's chicken is just across the road - yummy!!!

Tastes just like dog! :omg:

Jay&Zobel
10th August 2007, 21:35
JABS!!!!!

MALARIA TABLETS!!!!!

Maria_2300
11th August 2007, 02:22
Yes, AndyPaul, sometimes we forget little things like ice cubes. He has a very sensitive gastrointestinal tract cause he has crohns so, small things like ice cubes could make him ill.

joebloggs
11th August 2007, 04:41
Tastes just like dog! :omg:

thanks, i was looking for my chicken everywhere ... now how did the chicken cross the road :Erm: ,

i see pinoys buying ice cubes in the more reasons to shop at shop , makes my laugh, why someone buys ice cubes? what do they do with them, suck on them instead of chewing gum ?? anyone know why they buy them? maybe they dont know the tap water is safe to drink :yikes:

:D

Pepe n Pilar
11th August 2007, 05:25

Hi jeffro,
Once you're here you can just buy the things you'll need from our department stores because they are cheaper here. You will be wearing slippers, t-shirts (it's very warm here) and blue jeans will be ok. Welcome to the Philippines and i'm sure you'll enjoy many beautiful sights.... Take note you might not be used to seeing beggars on the streets...hahaha. If they approach you just smile and if you have some coins you can give them but just an advise - I have experienced giving small coins to them but got a swear in return.:NoNo: Good luck...:)

KeithD
11th August 2007, 08:59
I got some very strange looks walking round the Phil with just a pair of shorts on........although they were on my head at the time :cwm24:

jeffro
11th August 2007, 15:30
I got some very strange looks walking round the Phil with just a pair of shorts on........although they were on my head at the time :cwm24:

maybe you forgot to put your boxers on :yikes: